Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 283/241/133

Height: 5' 3"

Default Nsv

I had a minor (although much anticipated) NSV today. I've been anxiously hoping for the day when I could slide my wedding ring off my finger without the use of great force and much soap - and I did it today!!

It's the little things, ain't it?

Sherilyn
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi all, here's the thing. My first weigh in will be Friday this week, I have stuck to the program diligently, not one iota of extra carbohydrate has crossed my lips. I've had more water in the last four days than I did previously in 10 days. So, because I felt I was doing so well, I weighed myself on my scale today. AHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!! I gained 1.5 pounds!!!!Now I am incredibly bummed, so afraid that I will not show a loss my first weigh in. In your wide experience people, has anyone gained their first week?? I can tell you, this little experience is very unmotivating to continue a program that is almost guaranteed to take the weight off. I'd appreciate some guidance, thanks!!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 225/156/125

Height: 5' 0"

Ok everyone I have a question. I have noticed that everyone has commented on how you aren't hungry when you are in ketosis. I have been on the diet for about 7 weeks now and I know I must be in ketosis as I have not cheated one bit but I STILL do get hungry. Is it normal to still get hungry? Usually before meals or if I haven't eaten in awhile (I have a weird schedule so I'm not on set meal times). I am assuming that is normal and you mean that the amount of food you get fills you up, which it does for me.

Just curious. Any input would be great Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #79  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by calival View Post
Hi all, here's the thing. My first weigh in will be Friday this week, I have stuck to the program diligently, not one iota of extra carbohydrate has crossed my lips. I've had more water in the last four days than I did previously in 10 days. So, because I felt I was doing so well, I weighed myself on my scale today. AHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!! I gained 1.5 pounds!!!!Now I am incredibly bummed, so afraid that I will not show a loss my first weigh in. In your wide experience people, has anyone gained their first week?? I can tell you, this little experience is very unmotivating to continue a program that is almost guaranteed to take the weight off. I'd appreciate some guidance, thanks!!
Hang in there. I can tell you from my experience that a few days into the program I showed a gain on my scale at home. After that day my husband hid the scale (still don't know where it is 5 weeks later) and I relied on my body and weigh ins to tell the story. I had lost by the time I went for my weigh in.

In the meantime, write down everything you eat, take your supplements, etc. and try to be patient. You'll get there!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 283/241/133

Height: 5' 3"

Default Scale Discrepancies??

Quote:
My first question is - how much of a difference is there between your scale and your coach's? I know there is a difference for me.

Maybe TMI here, but are you constipated? If you aren't eliminating waste, you may have some added 'weight' there.

Also, the total amount of weight to be lost can affect the rate of loss - the more you have to lose, the faster it might be at first, and vice versa.

Finally, it's only Tuesday now, you have several days for things to change - don't lose heart yet!!

Keep on keepin' on!
Sherilyn
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 205/205/155

Height: 5ft 8in

Got to my first mini goal today. Week 5 WI gave me a total of 20lbs lost.

I must admit, the last couple of days I did not really feel like I lost anything at all. I am very happy I was wrong.

I have also noticed that this is the first week that I am starting to really think about foods that I miss. (really the yummy ice cream and chocolate) My daughter and I went to Target tonight and she wanted to look at all of the Easter candy. I had to tell her that I needed to leave the aisle! I could not look at it. It was making me crazy!!!

Last edited by Notredamemom2013; 03-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Thanks guys, the difference in the scale is that my scale shows 8 lbs less than the clinics---see what I mean? I have written everything down, don't think I'm constipated as I have been able to go. Hopefully, my scale is just wonky! No, I will not stop the program, I have 60 lbs to go and I made a promise to myself that I will not be a "fat" 60 year old, the big 60 coming in 2012.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 168/148.5/140; start 01/19/11

Height: 5'6"

COASTALCRAFTER: Apparently I have not been on the site long enough to have the "private message" privalege! So sorry! I'd rather not give out my personal email on the forum. How else can we get around this?

It's official! WI today, down 20 lbs and 20 inches!! WOOHOO!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #84  

Quote:

I learned one thing quickly... don't weigh yourself at home! I never have and always wait until my weigh in and even when I don't feel as though I have lost, the numbers just magically keep going down! Keep the faith, stay OP, and you will have wonderful results! It is worth it!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #85  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosinthemirror View Post
I have found the black soy beans everyone is raving about and am quite excited. Now what the heck do I do with them??? LOL
anything you might do with other black beans, but they need just a bit of acid (lemon or vinegar) to soften a bit (and I usually "dress" them and let sit over night so they get a little more toothsome). Make a salad with red onion and cilantro and fresh squeezed lime and it's mexican time with your omelette for "huevos rancheros" for lunch! (or add to a taco salad, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandam6 View Post
My husband and I went to a local bar over the weekend, which we haven't done since I've been on IP. I was a little self conscious sitting there drinking my water. And it didn't take long for everyone to notice I was drinking water instead of normal bar drinks. Kinda embarrassing to explain to everyone that I was on a diet. I thought about telling them some other story but I'm not that creative, and everything I thought of sounded worse than the truth. I guess they'll get used to it.
Hey, this is hero time. "Oh, I'm tonight's designated driver!" works. And you can order a club soda with a twist of lime and it feels more festive! And you get it for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalison View Post
Ok everyone I have a question. I have noticed that everyone has commented on how you aren't hungry when you are in ketosis. I have been on the diet for about 7 weeks now and I know I must be in ketosis as I have not cheated one bit but I STILL do get hungry. Is it normal to still get hungry? Usually before meals or if I haven't eaten in awhile (I have a weird schedule so I'm not on set meal times). I am assuming that is normal and you mean that the amount of food you get fills you up, which it does for me.
Hungry is normal, but this is a great question. When I started IP I learned that I had never really known before what it felt like to be "hungry". When do skinny people eat? When they feel hungry. When did I eat? Whenever I wanted to/could find something I liked.

If you are at all like me, you may not really ever have had the "space" to feel hungry, but actually that is what is supposed to happen to all of us, 3-5 times a day. And that tells us it is time for another meal. This is actually a really good sign for you, and I think it means your metabolism is getting healed and you are beginning to develop appropriate responses to calories/carbs/fat, etc. I would recommend that every time you feel that way, take a moment to fully experience it and remember it. When you get to Phase 4, you will have that sensory memory to compare to, and you know then that it is the right time to eat--because your body actually needs fuel.

on the IP protocol, the "omg, I'm not sure if I have the strength to walk to the kitchen and open a packet" hunger means you have dropped out of ketosis.

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 03-16-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 200/198/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone. I am still a newbie (as if you couldn't tell lol) but hadn't had time to post for several reasons (school, work, toddlers, TOM, sick) anyway, I haven't done so well and have pinpointed the reason. I noticed while reading through multiple posts that some have had trouble with always being hungry. Well, that was me the first two weeks. I had to have slices of roast beef and even some string cheese (never more than one serving) and had eggs and more protein and extra protein packets. I have had an 11 pound loss so far, but I was still hungry!! Because of always remaining hungry, I turned away from packets and ate foods acceptable on atkins. I didn't want to ruin the ketosis. Anyway, I found that I wasn't hungry anymore!! Then I add in packets, and then come the hungries again!! So what's going gone?? Well, I firmly believe that it's all the sucralose in the products. Sweeteners can stimulate the release of insulin, which is why Dr. Atkins didn't allow aspartame and caffeine, and allowed for up to 3 packets of sweetener a day. THere is some research on the subject, but very little. I assume because splenda hasn't been around as long, we don't have enough long term research on the subject. I think it's reasonable to assume that for some, any and all artificial sweeteners will trigger a release of insulin, thereby producing hunger and cravings. (even the natural ones like stevia) The body doesn't know how to respond since it thinks it's getting a carb (sugar) The whole process actually starts as soon as food hits your mouth which would most likely explain why the body would react this way. And of course we are all individuals and some of us are more carb sensitive than others. I had noticed the same thing on atkins last year that I was hungry alot and just assumed I was "use to the diet". I have always known that diet coke triggers me to get hungry and makes me want more diet coke ( i think many of you have also had a diet coke addiction lol) But now I have had a light bulb go off and realize the culprit in this diet. So when I make it to my next weight in, I will inform my coach that I only want to have one to two packets a day, and then modify with real foods such as eggs, greek yogurt (which does not cause an insulin reaction for me; neither does berries) I want to keep this as low calorie as possible since I know that with the high fat of atkins weight loss was very slow for me. And, if I have to get rid of the packets all together, well then, that's just what I will have to do. (I do not like the omlet or the soups, or puddings; I of course only like the sweet drinks!)
I hope maybe my post was helpful to anyone else struggling with hunger well beyond the first week, as this would really be the only explanation if you are following the diet 100% faithfully which I had the first week but couldn't handle being so hungry all the time and at first added in more protein, an extra packet (which may have made it worse due to the sucralose) and eventually fat (eating like on atkins) I lost 35 pounds two years ago through calorie counting and exercising and always battled being hungry (the hunger was so bad sometimes, but I sucked it up and did it) THis time around, I just don't want to subject myself to that kind of torment, esp. if there's a remedy to the issue.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #87  
DinobowerRN

S/C/G: 294/0/185

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
dino- i think you are going to do great on alternatives! you seem to have a good grasp on everything and are on a good positive roll. keep it goin! hows the wind in casper?

Ronda

Rondar Thank you so much for vote of confidence, means alot to me. Had WI tonight and lost another 2 pounds. Not quite the 3-4 I have been getting, but a loss is a loss right!!

Oh and the wind is terrible, but that is nothing new right?? Which Wyoming city/town do you hail from??

Last edited by DinobowerRN; 03-16-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #88  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
anything you might do with other black beans, but they need just a bit of acid (lemon or vinegar) to soften a bit (and I usually "dress" them and let sit over night so they get a little more toothsome). Make a salad with red onion and cilantro and fresh squeezed lime and it's mexican time with your omelette for "huevos rancheros" for lunch! (or add to a taco salad, etc.)

Hey, this is hero time. "Oh, I'm tonight's designated driver!" works. And you can order a club soda with a twist of lime and it feels more festive! And you get it for free!

Hungry is normal, but this is a great question. When I started IP I learned that I had never really known before what it felt like to be "hungry". When do skinny people eat? When they feel hungry. When did I eat? Whenever I wanted to/could find something I liked.

If you are at all like me, you may not really ever have had the "space" to feel hungry, but actually that is what is supposed to happen to all of us, 3-5 times a day. And that tells us it is time for another meal. This is actually a really good sign for you, and I think it means your metabolism is getting healed and you are beginning to develop appropriate responses to calories/carbs/fat, etc. I would recommend that every time you feel that way, take a moment to fully experience it and remember it. When you get to Phase 4, you will have that sensory memory to compare to, and you know then that it is the right time to eat--because your body actually needs fuel.

on the IP protocol, the "omg, I'm not sure if I have the strength to walk to the kitchen and open a packet" hunger means you have dropped out of ketosis.
I totally agree with ROCKY. I still get hunger feelings but it isn't like "raid the kitchen for whatever I can find hungry." Yes my stomach is grumbling and I know it is time to eat, but I know I can fix myself a really good healthy meal and be totally satisfied. While cooking, I find myself taking a few bites of raw veggies while I am cooking but I don't really "hunger" for the fried, fatty, high carb stuff anymore. If I want something sweet, that's what I use my IP packets for. I only buy sweet IP items so I satisfy my sweet tooth (i.e., Chocolate Soy Puffs, Chocolate Drink). If I couldn't have my fix of chocolate every day then I might feel a bit deprived.

Another thing I do is every week after grocery shopping, I chop up all of my veggies so they are ready to cook/eat and there isn't all that prep time where I might be tempted to say "I' don't feel like cutting the veggies up to make my meal." My meals then can usually be cooked in a maximum of 15 minutes! This forum is great for finding new recipes and new ways to enjoy these foods that are soooo good for us!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 256.7/211/155

Height: Start Date: 2-18-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post

stacey- where did your beautiful avatar go? good job on your progress!
Oh thanks for the compliment! I switched it out quite often (I get bored easily LOL) and it felt good to see the -15 lb thing I will be switching it again soon I imagine
Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 182(size16)/143(size 8)/132ish

Height: 5'6 started IP 2/2/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chick View Post
Fantastic job! Did you ever think you could lose 24 lbs in 6 weeks?! Great work. I can't wait until I'm at that point.
Thanks! Yeah I started 8 days before you and was a little heavier. I never thought 24 lbs could be gone in 6 weeks. I wish I didn't have 26 more to lose.. But I'm almost half way there. You are getting there too, good for u! We just have to keep plugging along day by day. Thanks again
Closed Thread