Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 142/130/125

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoGirl View Post
I'm very excited...My husband joined this week he has about 30 lbs to lose..
My son joined two week ago..he did 9 his first week and 5 the second...he has about 60 lbs and his cholesterol was 300..I was soo upset so now I see great changes in him and he is working out at the gym again too...I'm so happy he is fighting to get back his health and is enjoying it..
I have 14 lbs to go and I want to finish it by the end of march.....I can see an end to my weight loss and a beginning to the new me...
I've got to post some more pictures...
When I lose that 14 lbs...I'm getting a hot red swimsuit...yeaaaaa!!!!!!
My sons favorite so far is the turnip fries...to funny....

I love the turnip fries too! It's my treat once a week.It feels like a cheat but it's not
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 142/130/125

Height: 5'2''

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHi View Post
I know what you mean about the sweets. Every time I have ever gotten close to my weight goal, I sabatoge myself with exactly that thought - I just can't eat like this for the rest of my life - and then I eat sweets just to prove it to myself! Strange, huh. I went on a cruise 2 weeks ago, tried to focus on salads and protein but I still had dessert every night and at least a few ounces of rum each day. I maintained my weight! This reminds me that balance is everything!

That said, I am now having a hard time getting back on the wagon - keep ruining it by binging at night. I restarted phase 1 yesterday and am determined to get on here and chat whenever that can't-live-without-it craving hits me this week. I know next week will be better if I can just get through this week!
This forum is a great support. I bought a scale that is similar to my weigh in one at a department store and it helps to see that movement once a week....don't look at it too often! For me, it's realizing that it's not always about the pounds lost as the inches...I'd love to lose the weight but I'm starting to fit into clothes I couldn't before and it has been a big boost for me to keep going. I've been on the IP diet since January 28th and I'm feeling great....had a slip up during valentines week....what a waste of my money!....took me nearly two weeks to get back on track....stay strong!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #123  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Couts!

Last edited by Mrs Diettrich; 03-05-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 185.6/148/145

Height: 5'9"

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by couts71 View Post
Good Morning all you IP Champions!! Congrats to everyone with NSV and successful weight loss yesterday.
I myself have had a NSV today it is my 40th birthday and my wife has given me a trip to New York and my kids gave me tickets to see my favorite hockey team the New Jersey Devils play on April 2. This was a total shock to me.
My wife said to me that she was very proud of the way I have transformed myself into the new me and my 16 year old daughter said she was happy I lost all that weight because when I was the size I was it scared her that I wouldn't be around very much longer and even though she is getting older she still needed her Dad.
Have a awesome IP day everyone and remember we can all do this.

Happy Birthday....Isn't it wonderful to start your 40's with a whole new look and outlook, sounds like you have a very supportive and loving family.

[QUOTE=Mrs Diettrich;3743629]

Thanks Mrs. D....Your the best!!!! I have been trying in my forum challenged mind to figure out this multi positing for 6 weeks LOL!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by couts71 View Post
Good Morning all you IP Champions!! Congrats to everyone with NSV and successful weight loss yesterday.
I myself have had a NSV today it is my 40th birthday and my wife has given me a trip to New York and my kids gave me tickets to see my favorite hockey team the New Jersey Devils play on April 2. This was a total shock to me.
My wife said to me that she was very proud of the way I have transformed myself into the new me and my 16 year old daughter said she was happy I lost all that weight because when I was the size I was it scared her that I wouldn't be around very much longer and even though she is getting older she still needed her Dad.
Have a awesome IP day everyone and remember we can all do this.
What a great, supportive family you have. I see you are from Canada - surprised your favorite team is an American one. We in the Chicago area were thrilled that our Black Hawks won the sc. Now if we could just have the Cubs...
Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #126  

Is the crunchy cereal a restricted food? If so, I wasn't told that. I find that it's barely enough to eat as it is. I can't imagine just having a shake or a soup for breakfast. My coach's jumpstart IP protocol is 1 IP package at breakfast with tea; lunch is 1 IP package salad/veggies; dinner is 1 IP package, protein source salad/veggies and snack is 1 IP package. Is it just me or is this way too little food? I am restricted from tomatoes except for 2x a week so I can't even make a tomatoe base sauce for the veggies. This is only day 3 and I am already prepared to give up. I can't imagine eating this way for another month. It's not that I'm even craving sweets - I'm just craving food! I went through the whole recipe section to find some recipes to make the meals more palatable but the vegetables are pretty boring with restricted tomatoes and only 2 servings of oil on them. I also stocked my spice cupboard but it doesn't seem to be helping me. I dished out alot of money to start this program but I had no idea it would be so restrictive vis a vis the vegetables you can eat. And I hate vegetables anyway. Sorry for the rant. Feeling very pissed and hungry.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #127  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paupau View Post
You experienced IP'ers ROCK! You're so dedicated and full of info, much appreciated for a greenie like me! anyway, here goes. I've been on IP for 8 weeks and have avg about a 3.5 lb per week. My mom who is over 60 started I P a couple of weeks ago, the 1st week she lost 8 lbs and her 2nd weigh in only 1.5. I thought that was really low for a 2nd weigh in. she's not eating restricted foods and is following the plan. I just don,t want her to get discouraged when she she she's how well she's been doing? Any advice.
Thanks!!

Also, what your mom is experiencing is VERY VERY common. Many people lose well the first week, are shocked and lose little the second and maybe even 3rd week(for a small few), then lose well week 4. It is a pattern we have seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
My husband is a moderator of an audio forum, and he spends a LOT of time and energy answering questions and helping people. What I have learned from him is to "Respect the Elders..." For example, search before you ask. If you expect someone to exert energy on your behalf, exert your own energy first to see if someone else has already answered the question. Chances are, they already have! He once told me that probably 60-80% of questions have already been answered.

So, in that spirit, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has researched things extensively and posted. I have spent hours and hours reading through old posts, searching, going through the stickies... You are all wonderful and I have learned a ton.

Happy Weekend!
AWW!!... Thanks, and thank you for all the research you did for yourself.

I have to agree with your husband. In the past 17months on this forum, I see about the same percentage (60 to 80% depending on stage/cycle of the group) of repetitive questioning. Even now, we have multiple threads for the very same questions. I realize it takes people awhile to get the "map" of the forum and a sense of how to search and what already exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw83 View Post
I have moved onto phase 2 and my coach recommended the chocolate pancakes for me to try, based on how good she thought they were! I didn`t realize til I got home how many carbs were in them...22! AAHHH!!! I`ve had one 3 days in a row, because I don`t have much choice in my packets, but this morning I used a ketostick just to make sure and it says no trace or anything! Normally in the am when I do the sticks, it is dark red and then lighter more into the day when I start getting my water in. There is 4 grams of fiber in them, so that would really only be 18 carbs, but still! My question: would eating those pancakes have thrown me out of ketosis? I haven`t cheated or anything, if anything I backed off the veggies just a little to make up for the packet! Help!!
You should still be in ketosis in phase 2. REMEMBER, ketosticks only measure 1 of the ways our body eliminates ketones. (breath, sweat, blood, urine are the 4) so, if there aren't many ketones total and they are being eliminated in many ways, you will stop being able to measure them, ESPECIALLY if you are well hydrated. Try relying less on those.

Also, trying to use those pancakes/crepes less often because, YES, some people who are still carb sensitive will fall out of ketosis somewhere around 50 total carbs per day, nearly everyone is out of a measurable zone at 60 total carbs per day. If your normal day was around 30 before and you are now adding 22 instead of a 3 or 5, you are increase your day by up to 17 more and you could be right at the point where if you are in ketosis it might not be easily measured.

Your weight will be the best "tell". If you are still losing having those 3x a week, you are fine. If you are not, cut back to a point you are losing as you wish.

You should be in ketosis until phase 3. In phase 3 you will start to increase carbs and will likely fall out of ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa333 View Post
Good morning fellow IP ers! To put you in context 2 weeks ago was an awfull week for me I cheated I don't know why but I was CRAVING badly Peanut butter, so I eat it by the spoon, a lot! A got reeeeallly sick to my stomach. Anyways that week was to be forgotten. When I went to my WI I didn't want to know how much I weighted, I'm sure I was going to be discourage. The week before I was 148.9.

Yesterday I went on my WI with a very OP week, I was proud to be back, and I weight 148.5. I'm OK with that because 1. I know TOM is very close 2. I asked my coach what was the gain of the last week it was 3.6 pounds!!! So I lost 4 pounds this week which is good.

But anyways, I just did 2 weeks for nothing because now i'm at the same weight and lost 160 $. So NO more cheat until the end!

Have a good OP day!
It does feel awful to waste the money all for a moment of food gratification. At least you now know! I am sure you will find ways to avoid that next time! FYI.. next time you have that particular craving, have a little extra olive oil or omega 3 oil and have an extra IP packet or 1 hard boiled egg. Most times, when people have that particular craving they are too low on fat or protein. See there may have been a reason your body wanted that food! It is also high in selenium and other nutrients which are in high concentration in egg yolk so, try first to substitute a nice whole egg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariophotogal View Post
This method is SO much easier than what I was doing before, thank you!

Any chance you could go over the sea salt flush? I'm needing something to help me over here....thanks in advance

Morning everyone

Was trying to make myself feel better last night after weigh in number 2 and no weight loss (but 11.5 total inches gone), so I went into my closet for the heck of it and started pulling out some clothes. Tried on a few things and noticed that just with 14.5 lbs. gone I can now fit comfortably in a 20, down from a 22. It's a start anyways and I'm really hoping to get the big C all cleared up so the scale with be moving back on down next week.

Have a great Saturday all!

Hugs
Stacy
NICE!!! One size gone in just 2 weeks! You're on a roll! Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbound View Post
Ok.. Went to the dr. yesterday for routine bloodwork... of course you get on the scale.. which now adays I seem to like doing....Lost 46 lbs since I had seen her six months ago.... She was excited and I couldnt shut up about how I had lost it.... 32 of that was with IP and since 1/20/11. So she is going to call me when she gets the results and we are going to take blood work in 3 more months to see if we are able to reduce the meds that I am on.....keeping my fingers crossed because I take a pill for sugar levels, blood pressure, cholesterol, and thyroid......
Hope everyone has a great day
WOO HOO!!!! That is such a great moment when your doctor is excited for your results. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbella View Post
WOW Carla you are the greatest. Both my doc and my coach know about the high blood pressure meds and also being on Ideal Protein, meaning Coach asked what prescriptions I was on and wrote them down on day 1 and Doc asked me about the Ideal Program and showed her all the supplements and she approved. Yes I am taking the Potassium. I honestly was fine and weight loss was big before adding the cleanse to my plan 9 days ago. I honestly feel it is the cleanse that is throwing me off but I am determined to finish it out. I know my Coach only has me taking 2 Cal Mags a day compared to 4 and he said it was due to my prescriptions that I was on.

Thank you for all your knowledge it is very helpful to me and my journey.
Oh Good!! I am glad you are working with both. It will be helpful as your body corrects itself and you get to a point those meds need to be adjusted!

Probably, just a supposition, your coach is having you use less of the calcium because of the amlodipine. It has an effect of blocking calcium but, too much calcium can prevent your medicine from doing its job.

While I did the program my doctor did blood work every month to ensure that my kidneys were still good, my liver was good, my potassium levels were normal and, I wasn't becoming to off balance in my other electrolyte chemistry. She also was monitoring my cholesterol. Those are all important things to manage on a diet with repaid weight loss, low caloric intake, low fat, and low carbs.

I am so glad you have the support of your doctor and coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman79 View Post
I was on Diovan HCT, but what does the combination cause? I was just wondering after reading this?
It isn't that you absolutely can not take potassium with this medicine. What is important is that your DR must be informed and involved. We have many people on this board who have reported of coaches "knowing" what medicines they were on a still giving bad advice, going on the diet and not working with their doctor (THIS IS a drastic diet people, you are going to lose weight very quickly and low calorie, you really NEED to be working with a doctor or at least beginning having had a doctors involvement.), and then, there are those who are doing this at home, on their own, without a coach or doctor. For those people and others who read this it is important to know, you need to speak to a doctor if you are on this medicine or ANY other blood pressure medicine. Some of these medicines are calcium blocking so, taking too much calcium becomes dangerous. Some of them are potassium sparing so, too much potassium in a supplement can then build up in your blood stream and cause serious effects. Some have a potassium interaction and effect other body tissues.

Again, it isn't that you can't take potassium, it is that it should be under your doctor's care if you are also taking blood pressure medicines.

As to what are the effects of potassium taken with diovan HCT:
For those unfamiliar with the product, Diovan HCT is hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan.

You can devlop too much potassium which, is Hyperkalemia. When this happens, your muscles and nerves suddenly become overly sensitive and begin to malfunction. You may suddenly experience irregular heartbeat or palpitations, signs that you are at risk for a heart attack brought on by an overdose of potassium. The heart is particularly susceptible to high levels of potassium.

Symptoms of Too Much Potassium:

* Heart palpitations
* Irregular heartbeat
* Sudden muscle weakness
* Unexplained fatigue

ALSO:

It can cause a rare but serious side effect which is why your doctor must know that you are taking potassium and just how much.

Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan, unless your doctor has told you to. In rare cases, hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, nausea or vomiting, and dark colored urine.

source: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/diovan-hct.html

Valsartan may increase the level of potassium in your blood. If this medicine is taken with other medicines that can increase blood potassium levels, this effect may be enhanced. Such medicines include the following. These are not usually recommended for use in combination with valsartan. If they are used in combination with valsartan, the amount of potassium in your blood should be monitored:

* ciclosporin
* heparin
* non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, eg indometacin, diclofenac, ibuprofen
* potassium-sparing diuretics eg spironolactone, triamterene, amiloride
* potassium supplements
* potassium salts, eg potassium citrate
* potassium-containing salt substitutes such as Lo-Salt.

source:http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000802.html

Do not use salt substitutes or take potassium supplements without first talking to your doctor. Valsartan can affect potassium levels in the body.

What other drugs will affect valsartan?

* Before taking valsartan, tell your doctor if you
o take a potassium supplement such as K-Dur, Klor-Con, and others;
o take a potassium-sparing diuretic (water pill) such as amiloride (Midamor), spironolactone (Aldactone), or triamterene (Dyrenium, Dyazide, Maxzide); or
o use a salt substitute.
* Valsartan can affect potassium levels in the body. You may not be able to take valsartan, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
source: http://medlibrary.org/drugs/heart-ci.../diovan-2.html

additional information:
http://blood-pressure.emedtv.com/dio...eractions.html
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 318/291/220

Height: 6'3.5

Default Thanks for the info

showgirlaz Thanks for the info!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #129  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsi View Post
Wow this is so weird! I noticed there are barely any posts by the long term IPers! Seems to be a disturbing trend, its to bad that all the new people don't get to learn from them and all the knowledge they have accumulated over the months and I am not talking just 2 months or 3 months but 5 6 7 8 9 etc. months they have journeyed through the land of Ideal Protien. Is it possible they have all finished IP and moved on?
I am here....when I joined the forum in September I sent PMs to a ton of the "oldtimers" I wanted to know how they were so successful. I had so much to learn. Now I have finished 6 months and I am started my 7th month and I am still learning so much.

I am so freakin excited that the day I returned from my cruise (9 days in beautiful weather with tons of drink and food...no restrictions...first time since September) I was up 13 pounds the next day, but one day shy of a week I am within a pound of my pre-cruise weight. I have been perfect phase one since Monday morning.

What I have learned the most is that this is a life change and that I can have my moments but they need to be thought out, planned, and executed.

Good luck to everyone....happy IP day!

Last edited by darbs7; 03-05-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #130  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manysizes View Post
Is the crunchy cereal a restricted food? If so, I wasn't told that. I find that it's barely enough to eat as it is. I can't imagine just having a shake or a soup for breakfast. My coach's jumpstart IP protocol is 1 IP package at breakfast with tea; lunch is 1 IP package salad/veggies; dinner is 1 IP package, protein source salad/veggies and snack is 1 IP package. Is it just me or is this way too little food? I am restricted from tomatoes except for 2x a week so I can't even make a tomatoe base sauce for the veggies. This is only day 3 and I am already prepared to give up. I can't imagine eating this way for another month. It's not that I'm even craving sweets - I'm just craving food! I went through the whole recipe section to find some recipes to make the meals more palatable but the vegetables are pretty boring with restricted tomatoes and only 2 servings of oil on them. I also stocked my spice cupboard but it doesn't seem to be helping me. I dished out alot of money to start this program but I had no idea it would be so restrictive vis a vis the vegetables you can eat. And I hate vegetables anyway. Sorry for the rant. Feeling very pissed and hungry.
No, the cereal is not restricted. I'm hoping that you start to feel better in the next day or two - the first few days are the hardest as you get into ketosis as your body is going through a huge shock as you are withholding sugar, carbs and its usual amount of calories from it. Most of us went throught the 3 day **** when we started. I personally turned the corner on day 3 and went from being non-stop hungry to being good with the amount of food that we are allowed to eat on phase 1. I looked at the "jumpstart" protocol - the only thing that I see that differs from phase 1 is that it looks like she allows a packet at dinner as well as your meat & veggies. Most people in phase 1 only have 3 packets a day (though many coaches allow 4 or even 5 packets in the first couple of weeks).

I understand your frustrations, but your coach should have filled you in on the veggies you were allowed to eat before you commited. You need to have those veggies - for the nutrients, the sustenace and the roughage! How much are you trying to lose? Are you drinking all your water? Cups of hot tea, hot coffee (preferably decaf) and other hot things will help you feel more full.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #131  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman79 View Post
showgirlaz Thanks for the info!
You are welcome.

I hope I didn't go too far the one direction. This diet NEEDS some potassium and if you exercise and sweat a lot you will need more than a person who doesn't. It is just your blood levels should be periodically checked to ensure you are in a normal range. Provided your doctor wants you on potassium (based on diet needs) and just wants a lower dose, you can always take a lower dose of potassium than the mega level IP sells. The normal dose found over the counter is around 100mg and is freely available at health food stores.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHi View Post
I know what you mean about the sweets. Every time I have ever gotten close to my weight goal, I sabatoge myself with exactly that thought - I just can't eat like this for the rest of my life - and then I eat sweets just to prove it to myself! Strange, huh. I went on a cruise 2 weeks ago, tried to focus on salads and protein but I still had dessert every night and at least a few ounces of rum each day. I maintained my weight! This reminds me that balance is everything!

That said, I am now having a hard time getting back on the wagon - keep ruining it by binging at night. I restarted phase 1 yesterday and am determined to get on here and chat whenever that can't-live-without-it craving hits me this week. I know next week will be better if I can just get through this week!
I'm with ya on that! I did a 2 week cruise before I started the plan - I would not want to be faced with all that temptation now. The past couple of weeks what I've been missing most is salad dressing that I like - more than 2 teaspoons. Was out to lunch with friends that ordered a dessert. I sat between the 2 women that were sharing it - I passed the dish back and forth. I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #133  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Morning everyone, the day is a nice -17 with wind chill -24, perfect day to go for a 1.5 hour walk with my beautiful dogs. They don't seem to mind the weather as long as I warm their pads when they are cold. Came home and had a lovely french vanila chai tea for breakfast and feeling good

Rene congrats, can I hide away in your suitcase when you go to NY.. That is just great it shows how proud your family are for you. Your work family are just as proud. You have provided us with lots of advise and I am truly greatful. It make me proud to know you.

2manysizes - please stick with it. I didn't think I could make it and I am on my 4th week. I am not a veggie person either but I decided this was my year to change my life around and this is the best start I have had. I generally have 1 ip drink in the morning, soup or omlette pack at lunch and a regular supper, sometimes I have my 3rd pack but a lot of times I forget as I am so full. I never thought I would say that either as I am a snacker. I guess this is my NSV moment when I realized I don't really have to snack and I can do other things. Don't get me wrong, every time I prepare my dogs kongs in the morning and cap off with peanut butter, i just want to dig a spoon in for a taste of the peanut butter. But I am going to do this and if I have to sacrifice how ever many months it takes then it is worth it. Just remember it isn't forever and eventually you can have other foods. I know I am looking forward to toast again.

Everyone have a great Saturday and I will check in later. Bye for now.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #134  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Oh nearly forgot

Carla thank you so much for being there and answering all our questions. I have learned a lot over the last couple of weeks from you. Keep it up and thank you.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #135  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manysizes View Post
I am a newbie too - just starting week 2 and I can sympathize. Last weekend I wanted to throw the towel in, I mean seriously, I just wanted FOOD!! But I can promise you if you stick to the protocol you WILL feel better. I'm just a week ahead of you and I already feel much better - hang in there!

One thing that has helped me when I really want food and start feeling a little blue about not being able to eat my old favorites, is to make a dish that closely resembles my old food. The two that worked for me this week were the big mac in a bowl (I used mustard instead of dressing) and Chicken Fried "Rice" (rice made from shredded cauliflour). Both are in the recipe thread and made me feel a lot better!!

Last edited by ruralchick; 03-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Closed Thread