Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #46  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Here's a vegi-burger substitute. Sorry for all the posts but I'm hopping back and forth from the stove.
Thanks for all the info Linden. I do have the organic Boca crumbles here but my burgers are the original. There was no attachment to the above post re:vegi-burger substitute. Is there more?
Don't burn dinner!

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteandcute View Post
Good morning,
Well, I think we have things moving on this thread. Lynn, you step into phase 4 tomorrow or Sunday, right? Welcome! I agree with Sunnymae. I don't really like the name cheat day. I have been saying my splurge day. I also like free day. I am doing phase 1 today. I assume we do it exactly by the protocol. Any comments? Clarice should be home from her trip, I am anixous to hear how it went. I am like all of you, I am ready for warm weather. Our son lives in central Florida, I am ready for a trip to Florida, if not to central Florida at least to the gulf. I will need a new swim suit this year, I guess we all will. When I think back about how I looked last year at this time. Let me tell you, I am not a bathing beauty, but I do look quite different, at least smaller. My body NEEDS toning. Catch you later. Judy
Welcome to ph 4 Lynn. It's wonderful and for me still full of unchartered territory.
Yesterday for instance- I landed up having a cheat day in advance of my planned Saturday free day, so I am doing ph 1 today.
I fear being too hungry just having the crispy cereal for breakfast after those huge breakfasts I've been eating, so I'm switching my meals around and having lowfat no carb chicken bacon, one real egg with 1/4 cup added egg white, so I can keep myself under control,satiated and away from the carbs till my body calms down. Yesterday was an unexpected trip to the past and reminder of how close to out of control I can be at any moment. Socializing, putting out food for the girls, starting out OK, then having 1 veggie corn dog and about 10 dark chocolate covered almonds. I had a salad, hummus, some whole wheat crackers, celery and carrot sticks before I lost my mind. Well..I guess it could have been worse. Oh yeah...and wasabi soy bean crunchy things..about a handful.
I had 2 choc. almonds left on the counter after they left. I told myself "If you can throw those in the garbage right now instead of in your mouth...then that means, you're back in the saddle and already headed in the right direction." I did!!!
Thanks for listening to my confession.
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #48  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
Welcome to ph 4 Lynn. It's wonderful and for me still full of unchartered territory.
Yesterday for instance- I landed up having a cheat day in advance of my planned Saturday free day, so I am doing ph 1 today.
I fear being too hungry just having the crispy cereal for breakfast after those huge breakfasts I've been eating, so I'm switching my meals around and having lowfat no carb chicken bacon, one real egg with 1/4 cup added egg white, so I can keep myself under control,satiated and away from the carbs till my body calms down. Yesterday was an unexpected trip to the past and reminder of how close to out of control I can be at any moment. Socializing, putting out food for the girls, starting out OK, then having 1 veggie corn dog and about 10 dark chocolate covered almonds. I had a salad, hummus, some whole wheat crackers, celery and carrot sticks before I lost my mind. Well..I guess it could have been worse. Oh yeah...and wasabi soy bean crunchy things..about a handful.
I had 2 choc. almonds left on the counter after they left. I told myself "If you can throw those in the garbage right now instead of in your mouth...then that means, you're back in the saddle and already headed in the right direction." I did!!!
Thanks for listening to my confession.
Thanks Sunnymae! Sounds like you have this under control. It sounds like you know exactly what to do with "Free Days" (I like that better too) followed by phase 1 days.
I know there are examples on the old "Life After..." threads, but when you feel up to it, will you give me some ideas for the phase 4 evening meals? It looks like my vegi protein may not be a good idea though I still may use the organic Boca (What do you think Linden?).

Lynn
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #49  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

I am doing phase 1 today. I had a peach drink for breakfast. I had a 2 cup veg. stir fry and water, cheese curls and a cup of hot tea for lunch. I am concerned that the amount of food will not be filling enough today. I had that empty feeling on my last phase 1 day. I don't like that feeling. I assume we are to eat the exact amount on the phase 1 protocol. What foods do some of you eat for lunch or the meal when we eat our fat on phase 4?
petiteandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #50  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
I am doing phase 1 today. I had a peach drink for breakfast. I had a 2 cup veg. stir fry and water, cheese curls and a cup of hot tea for lunch. I am concerned that the amount of food will not be filling enough today. I had that empty feeling on my last phase 1 day. I don't like that feeling. I assume we are to eat the exact amount on the phase 1 protocol. What foods do some of you eat for lunch or the meal when we eat our fat on phase 4?
Judy,

In Dr. Tran's book (page 85), he says the trick the day after a major slip is to avoid all simple and complex carbohydrates. It prevents the big insulin release that causes the body to store fat. He says 1 day of no carbs is all it takes. If you feel hungry, I would suggest more protein. Animal protein would probably be best as it contains no carbs but an unrestricted IP product or equivalent should be fine. What does everyone else think?

Lynn
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #51  
Maintaining-March, 2011

I'm not implying that you had a slip. I was just using his words.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #52  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Judy,

In Dr. Tran's book (page 85), he says the trick the day after a major slip is to avoid all simple and complex carbohydrates. It prevents the big insulin release that causes the body to store fat. He says 1 day of no carbs is all it takes. If you feel hungry, I would suggest more protein. Animal protein would probably be best as it contains no carbs but an unrestricted IP product or equivalent should be fine. What does everyone else think?

Lynn
Ty for responding. I knew what you meant by major slip. I am a little confused about the carb. thing on phase 4. To avoid all simple and complex carbs. does that mean we do or do not eat the allowed (select) veg. on phase 1 on a phase 1 day?
petiteandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #53  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Ty for responding. I knew what you meant by major slip. I am a little confused about the carb. thing on phase 4. To avoid all simple and complex carbs. does that mean we do or do not eat the allowed (select) veg. on phase 1 on a phase 1 day?
Judy,

I couldn't get this to copy from his book so I'll just type it...

"Ideally, you'd go on the protein diet for one day after you've fallen off the wagon, but you don't always have those protein packets handy. Instead, have coffee or tea and a yogurt for breakfast, and a small serving of lean meat or fish with green vegetables for lunch and dinner."

Chapter 13, page 90.

So, I think we should follow phase 1 including the 4 cups of select vegis. If you are still hungry, I think it is safer to add a little extra protein but no carbs. That is just my opinion. It's not written anywhere.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #54  
Sallycat88

S/C/G: 170.2/136.4/137

Height: 5'7"

Started Phase 4 yesterday. Enjoyed whole wheat pasta with meat sauce for dinner from the Olive Garden. Did not eat the breadsticks, but did have some salad. I only ate half my entree. I was full, almost too full. Eating carbs in the form of pasta reminded me of the feeling I used to get after every meal..."man am I stuffed". I don't ever feel that way following IP protocol. I guess bc those carbs don't fluff up in my belly 10 minutes after I eat. I am always satisfied, but never overly full. A good feeling for sure. I plan my first cheat day for this Saturday. I think I am more nervous about not getting any food the following "cleanse" day on Phase I!! I do love the big breakfast, my favorite meal of the day. On the other hand, I have had people tell me the cleanse day feels good. Guess we will have to wait and see.

On a side note, my weight only fluctuated about 1.5#'s during my two weeks on phase 3. I went up 1.7# the first week and then down 1.3# the next.

170.2/136.4/137

Last edited by Spiffsgal; 03-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Spiffsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #55  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Thanks for all the info Linden. I do have the organic Boca crumbles here but my burgers are the original. There was no attachment to the above post re:vegi-burger substitute. Is there more?
Don't burn dinner!

Lynn
I'm so sorry. Here it is: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2011/0...sy-burger.html Scroll down for the "Middle Eastern Burger." This calls for gremolata:

Gremolata

* 1 c tightly packed parsley, washed well, dried and chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, pressed
* Juice and zest of 1 big lemon
* ¼ t salt
* ¼ t pepper
* 2 T extra virgin olive oil

Mix everything together.

Sorry for the delay. It's midnight here and I just kicked out the company.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #56  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'm so sorry. Here it is: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2011/0...sy-burger.html Scroll down for the "Middle Eastern Burger." This calls for gremolata:

Gremolata

* 1 c tightly packed parsley, washed well, dried and chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, pressed
* Juice and zest of 1 big lemon
* ¼ t salt
* ¼ t pepper
* 2 T extra virgin olive oil

Mix everything together.

Sorry for the delay. It's midnight here and I just kicked out the company.
Thanks Linden. Looks great. Sleep well.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #57  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Judy,

I couldn't get this to copy from his book so I'll just type it...

"Ideally, you'd go on the protein diet for one day after you've fallen off the wagon, but you don't always have those protein packets handy. Instead, have coffee or tea and a yogurt for breakfast, and a small serving of lean meat or fish with green vegetables for lunch and dinner."

Chapter 13, page 90.

So, I think we should follow phase 1 including the 4 cups of select vegis. If you are still hungry, I think it is safer to add a little extra protein but no carbs. That is just my opinion. It's not written anywhere.

Lynn
I think you are correct Lynn. I recall from the first 'life after' thread, Novak and Wannabe stating the day after free days should be focused on protein, but it is not necessary to have IP products, and unrestricted veggies are ok.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #58  
Maintaining-March, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I think you are correct Lynn. I recall from the first 'life after' thread, Novak and Wannabe stating the day after free days should be focused on protein, but it is not necessary to have IP products, and unrestricted veggies are ok.
Hi Jenny...

It's so nice to be able to bounce stuff like this around. I know we all worry about doing something wrong but I think we have to give ourselves credit for getting where we are. I don't expect any of us will mess up now! Have a great weekend.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #59  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
My first one was Feb. 20, I felt so bad the next day that I didn't want to do another one. So I waited 11 days before doing one today. I made brownies and homemade lasagna today. I can REALLY tell I ate sugar today. I have a little pressure in my head tonight. Maybe I am over doing the sugar on cheat days. Are all of you doing a cheat day once a week. I think I read that Rocky is doing one once a month, right? y
Hi Judy,
Actually, I've been taking my "free" day about once a week, or sometimes do it for Friday dinner and Saturday dinner (but eat ph1 during the day). But I only eat real sugar about once a month. So, even on my free day, my splurges are things like popcorn, or pasta with cream sauce or pizza, not cookies, cake etc.

BTW: true confession time...I just got back from another 2 weeks on the road. The day before I left I was at the top of my 3-pound "window" for my weight and instead of going into Phase 1, I decided to wait and do it when I got home. So, now the scale says I am at 145 (my goal was 140 and I try to stay 137-140). I know I cannot have gained 5 pounds of fat in 2 weeks, but I know some portion of that is definitely fat, I can feel it in my clothes. So, DANG IT, its back to Phase 1 for me starting Sunday morning (I am having 10 people for a potluck dinner tomorrow so it's too late to cancel at this point!). Anyhoo, it was 5 months of making Ph 4 work before this little debacle so I can assure you it works if you stick to the program. And I expect to be back in P4 in a week or so...just NOT looking forward to going into ketosis... but I'm sure it will be easier since I don't have big glycogen stores to burn up.

also BTW: I like "free day" better too and will use that from now on. It's simply not "cheating" and why beat ourselves up for no reason? We've all had enough of that, I think.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
So, DANG IT, its back to Phase 1 for me starting Sunday morning (I am having 10 people for a potluck dinner tomorrow so it's too late to cancel at this point!). ... And I expect to be back in P4 in a week or so...just NOT looking forward to going into ketosis... but I'm sure it will be easier since I don't have big glycogen stores to burn up.

also BTW: I like "free day" better too and will use that from now on. It's simply not "cheating" and why beat ourselves up for no reason? We've all had enough of that, I think.
Rocky, the "low carb flu" is your brain adjusting to decreased glucose to burn until the ketones kick in. Something that can help that transition is 1/2 teaspoon of powdered L-glutamine allowed to dissolve under the tongue 3 times daily. Your brain can use the L-glutamine until there are enough ketones for fuel. I read about it here .

It sounds as if the rest of you are doing well on Phase 4. Just a reminder -- for your free day, you don't have to eat **everything** you didn't have while on Phase 1, 2, and 3 or or in quantities you had before IP.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote