3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Life After Phase 1 -- the second sequel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #91
Maintaining-March, 2011
 
woolberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 358

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
Has anyone here switched from Ideal Protein foods to Lindora? I ordered several things after I entered phase 4 simply because they are MUCH cheaper than IP. Most of them taste great, but I'm not sure if they are not as satisfying (although the ingrediants and nutritional content are very similar) or if it's just me. I just seem to be hungry and always "wanting" something else with these. I'm thinking that I may need to switch back for my recoup days as much as I hate to because of cost. Anyone else have this experience?
Clarice,

I did order from Lindora for the first time last week. I only ordered the ready to drinks and the caramel nut bars. I think those two items are pretty much the same and I like them. I actually enjoyed most of the IP stuff but can't justify continuing to pay those prices. I plan to try other things from Lindora, Nashua & New Lifestyles.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 218

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
I am still on phase 1. Something weird happened the day after I started phase 1-I gained another 3lbs!! I don't know if all the stuff I consumed just caught up or what, but I lost 2lbs and would like to lose at least another 3 before going back. Hopefully by the end of the week!

I didn't have any headaches or anything after my "fun" day, but can see how your body is saying "what in the world are you giving me??" after eating cleanly all week.

Phase 1 has been rough on me this week (worse than when I orginally started the diet!)....hopefully I won't have to do this for a while.
Hi Clarice41, I copy and pasted this from ShowgirlAZ from today's post. Hope that helps on why the gain.


AS A SIDE NOTE TO ALL THOSE RESTARTING AND STRUGGLING:

It always seems harder after you have had a series of "cheat" or off-protocol breaks. I have yet to hear anyone come back and say, "yes, it is easier." It takes more commitment and you go into it with less enthusiasm, more awareness of what you can't have and how you want to "tweak" the system, and you expect the results you got the first time. Unfortunately, that all makes it harder.

You will likely NOT get the same results.. close, sure, as good probably not. WHY? Because when you began the plan your body was really out of balance. You were holding much more fluid than you realized. You were eating hundreds of carbs and the wrong sodium everyday. Now, you have corrected so many of those things. It isn't likely you will have the same response. Also, your body has adapted to how this works. You have "woke it up" to a process, taught it to function well there, and now, it isn't in the same shock or adjustment.

This plan still works. It works well. It works appropriate to where your body is now. Sometimes, it works too well as it also knows how to immediately make glycogen/glucose from amino acids and protein. Before you had an adjustment window for that to take place. NOW, your body may rebel with a "you think you can take away sugar? HAHAHA... just watch what I can do!" That could mean you need even fewer carbs to get things rolling than the last time.

Some people have to go to almost 0 carbs for 3 to 5 days to get into ketosis if they are stuck or habitual low carb diet users.

Atkins suggests a meat feast/fat fast... kind of thing. Basically you eat 1000 calories a day of nothing but egg whites, eggs, meats, (preferably not too much of anything high in salt like sausage or bacon), even a bit of cheese if it is 1 carb or less. You eat frequently. When you are hungry but keep your calories low. Drink lots of water and take your supplements. By the 3rd or at most 5th day, you are pretty well back into ketosis and can slowly add a few carbs. Start with things like the omelette, soup, mango drink, puddings, you want high protein/low carb ratio for a couple days to get you grounded again in ketosis. Anything too high in carb too soon, you might slow down.

I know it may sound crazy. It is just 3 or so days. It has worked for a few people and it has worked for me.
AmyonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #93
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10
 
JSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 153

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen123 View Post
Just started phase 2. Loving being off the IP lunches...the mushroom soup was my fav...but I was tired of it. My WI last week was a bit discouraging with an increase of 1lb (131) but with 1% BF lost and 3 inches. I'm building muscle right? I really just want to hit 125 so I hope that by being very careful I'll take off the last few pounds in phase two. Does anyone have thoughts on what they did or will do in phase 4 when you are 100% on regular food - what you will do for vitamin supplements. Been ing this week and last trying to add some extra omph to phase 2 results. Wish me luck!
Good luck in PH2, I bet you enjoy the choices. It is easy to put Phase 1 behind, and 2 is really not much different. Don't worry about that 1#, it'll be gone soon. I am starting PH 4 today so I'll keep you posted on my dinner options. In my head, however, I am still having a PH 3 dinner. There are two other 'Life After..." threads that have a ton of info on Ph4 dinner options.
__________________
Jenny

___________________________________


JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #94
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10
 
JSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 153

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Default

I went to my last WI yesterday, officially in maintenance. I lost 2#s in Phase 3. I added some brown rice to my dinner last night, and couldn't finish my steak. I purchased some nuts and cheese to add to my lunches, along with some non-fat yogurt for dinner, along with the rice and some pasta. My PH4 sheet requires the same PH 3 breakfasts, which I am very pleased about.

PH 4 also has the same vitamin requirements...not sure I'll stick with that forever, but I know someone asked that question. It seems that PH 4 is a balanced diet and the supplements should not be as important.

Good luck everyone!
__________________
Jenny

___________________________________


JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #95
Member
 
Clarice41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 96

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Hi Clarice41, I copy and pasted this from ShowgirlAZ from today's post. Hope that helps on why the gain.


AS A SIDE NOTE TO ALL THOSE RESTARTING AND STRUGGLING:

It always seems harder after you have had a series of "cheat" or off-protocol breaks. I have yet to hear anyone come back and say, "yes, it is easier." It takes more commitment and you go into it with less enthusiasm, more awareness of what you can't have and how you want to "tweak" the system, and you expect the results you got the first time. Unfortunately, that all makes it harder.

You will likely NOT get the same results.. close, sure, as good probably not. WHY? Because when you began the plan your body was really out of balance. You were holding much more fluid than you realized. You were eating hundreds of carbs and the wrong sodium everyday. Now, you have corrected so many of those things. It isn't likely you will have the same response. Also, your body has adapted to how this works. You have "woke it up" to a process, taught it to function well there, and now, it isn't in the same shock or adjustment.

This plan still works. It works well. It works appropriate to where your body is now. Sometimes, it works too well as it also knows how to immediately make glycogen/glucose from amino acids and protein. Before you had an adjustment window for that to take place. NOW, your body may rebel with a "you think you can take away sugar? HAHAHA... just watch what I can do!" That could mean you need even fewer carbs to get things rolling than the last time.

Some people have to go to almost 0 carbs for 3 to 5 days to get into ketosis if they are stuck or habitual low carb diet users.

Atkins suggests a meat feast/fat fast... kind of thing. Basically you eat 1000 calories a day of nothing but egg whites, eggs, meats, (preferably not too much of anything high in salt like sausage or bacon), even a bit of cheese if it is 1 carb or less. You eat frequently. When you are hungry but keep your calories low. Drink lots of water and take your supplements. By the 3rd or at most 5th day, you are pretty well back into ketosis and can slowly add a few carbs. Start with things like the omelette, soup, mango drink, puddings, you want high protein/low carb ratio for a couple days to get you grounded again in ketosis. Anything too high in carb too soon, you might slow down.

I know it may sound crazy. It is just 3 or so days. It has worked for a few people and it has worked for me.
Thank You! Now it makes sense! I have finally gotten the weight back off. (5 days, 6lbs) Yesterday I dropped 4lbs just like that. It has definetely been harder the second time around. As long as I know it's normal and that I am doing things correctly I can "cowboy up" and continue.

Thanks again.
__________________
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #96
Member
 
Clarice41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 96

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Clarice,

I did order from Lindora for the first time last week. I only ordered the ready to drinks and the caramel nut bars. I think those two items are pretty much the same and I like them. I actually enjoyed most of the IP stuff but can't justify continuing to pay those prices. I plan to try other things from Lindora, Nashua & New Lifestyles.

Lynn
I am like you-I just can't justify paying twice (and sometimes 3X) the amount for one box when I can get Lindora at much cheaper price. The bars are great and I LOVE the mint chocolate shakes. I think I was having difficulties because I spent 10 days of unadaulterated eating and drinking (LOVE pina colodas). AmyonIP had some eyeopening things to say and it makes a lot of sense as to why I was feeling that way. I did get the weight off in 5 days so I guess that was really pretty good. In the past I would have kept right on eating and probably gained 25lbs by the end of the month!

Thanks again.
__________________
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
sunnymae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 376

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I went to my last WI yesterday, officially in maintenance. I lost 2#s in Phase 3. I added some brown rice to my dinner last night, and couldn't finish my steak. I purchased some nuts and cheese to add to my lunches, along with some non-fat yogurt for dinner, along with the rice and some pasta. My PH4 sheet requires the same PH 3 breakfasts, which I am very pleased about.

PH 4 also has the same vitamin requirements...not sure I'll stick with that forever, but I know someone asked that question. It seems that PH 4 is a balanced diet and the supplements should not be as important.

Good luck everyone!
Sounds like you're doing great on ph4. I'm doing OK too. Just still trying to remember about the added fats and when to and not too have certain things. I find myself reading the ph4 material over and over again.
I have to say...the ph1 recovery day after a "free day" (once a week cheat) works like a charm. I have actually lost another pound on ph4, so the chemistry in this program is astounding. Having the tools that we now have to indulge and recover safely, and maintain the weight loss is the greatest gift of all. In the past, I would lose the weight, be clueless, lose my mind all over again and start eating everything in sight as a reward.

On the vites, my coach/nutritionist frankly told me to ditch the IP vites, start getting the nutrition from all the good healthy food I'm eating, and get a high grade womens multivitamin, plus my omega's. That's pretty much it. He said to stop taking the potassium for sure.
__________________
IP start date Oct. 24 2010

maintaining since Feb 10,2011
sunnymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Stacey41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 251

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
Thank You! I did contact my coach and he said there is no need to phase out. That's good news. It seems like phase 1 has been a little tough this go around coming from 10 days of indulgence.
Thanks for posting this. I felt that phasing out again wasn't necessary and asked other IP'ers about it a while ago and was firmly told you MUST phase out again. I didn't really agree, but let it go.

Now that I am back on phase I to drop the last bit, after a 6 month break, I've decided not to phase out again. I will probably jump to a phase III type diet for a few days just to get my system used to food again, for those of you who have phased out or are phasing out I'm sure you remember how "uncomfortable" it felt the first few days of phase III.

Here are my thoughts as to why I don't think it's necessary...before I started IP last June my diet was crappy. It took me 6 days to get into ketosis, I had so much junk in my system. The idea behind IP is that you give your pancreas a break in phase I and retrain it in phase III. I've done that and I can tell my pancreas is doing its job. This time it only took me a couple of days to get into ketosis, which tells me that I'm not storing all that junk I used to. So, if I think my pancreas is working correctly, phase III is unnecessary.

I do want to say that for the most part, my diet has been pretty healthy for the past 6 months after phasing out. I did eat more junk than I should have, but I also incorporated lots of healthy things too. I do believe that if you are off IP for a very long time and your pancreas has picked up its old habits, then yes, maybe it is necessary for you to follow protocol to a T. But if you're just doing a couple of weeks of phase I to get back on track, I just don't see the need for it.
__________________
Stacey




~A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step~
Stacey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #99
Maintaining-March, 2011
 
woolberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 358

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
I am like you-I just can't justify paying twice (and sometimes 3X) the amount for one box when I can get Lindora at much cheaper price. The bars are great and I LOVE the mint chocolate shakes. I think I was having difficulties because I spent 10 days of unadaulterated eating and drinking (LOVE pina colodas). AmyonIP had some eyeopening things to say and it makes a lot of sense as to why I was feeling that way. I did get the weight off in 5 days so I guess that was really pretty good. In the past I would have kept right on eating and probably gained 25lbs by the end of the month!

Thanks again.
Clarice,

Lindora is having a sale this weekend through 3/14/11. $40 off if you spend $150. I think Nashua always has free shipping if you spend enough.

I'm in Philadelphia this week at a conference. Eating out at every meal. Brought quite a few packets but I'm supposed to be in phase 4 and my hubby doesn't want to be forced to eat protein packets in the hotel room (although he is very supportive) so I am venturing out into the real world. Take my WF dressings with me everywhere. So far, so good. It's fairly easy to order grilled meat and a salad w/o drsg. I'm just too chicken (so to speak) to take a free day as I won't be able to really do phase 1 day until I get home. We'll see what happens. I actually had lost another couple of pounds before we left while on phase 3. Have a great weekend.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #100
Junior Member
 
smithaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SC - near Charlotte
Posts: 23

S/C/G: 195/186/160 (start 1/8/11)

Height: 5'3"

Default

Interesting to hear all these perspectives. I've taken myself through various phases as the "Coach" where I buy product rarely offers or requires any coaching -- it's relaly just an IP store. This Board was my Coach along with my desire to stick it out at least 2 months. After 4 weeks of strict IP and was gagging down meals and miserable. Though I'd lost 12 lbs, I was ready to give up. Rather than doing that, I started a phase 2 approach. Actually, a taco salad (no beans/rice/shell) at lunch and I was in so much happier. After 9 weeks, am down 21 lbs and will live in a phase 2 now to keep loosing. I've stopped all IP products and use EAS or Atkins Advantage for 1 meal / day.

Thanks for sharing your stories so that others can be successful. Best of luck to all!
__________________

Last edited by smithaa : 03-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
smithaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
ladyvrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bonney Lake,WA
Posts: 442

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

I have been in phase 2 for almost 2 weeks and I am down 3 lbs after being stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks! Happy camper here.
__________________
Progress pictures
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...ml#post3684137



1 belly dancer for each 5 lbs gone!!
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #102
Member
 
Clarice41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 96

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I have been in phase 2 for almost 2 weeks and I am down 3 lbs after being stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks! Happy camper here.

Congratulations!
__________________
Clarice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #103
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10
 
JSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 153

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I have been in phase 2 for almost 2 weeks and I am down 3 lbs after being stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks! Happy camper here.
That is great LadyV! Phase 2 rocks!

I had my first free day on Saturday. Went to a restaurant to celebrate my cousin's 40th bday. It was great not to worry about what I was eating and drinking. I did the no-carb day yesterday, and really missed my PH 3 breakfast, probably because I was wanting carbs to help my stomach since I had a few too many....!

So far, so good!
__________________
Jenny

___________________________________


JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #104
Sallycat88
 
Spiffsgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 37

S/C/G: 170.2/136.4/137

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
That is great LadyV! Phase 2 rocks!

I had my first free day on Saturday. Went to a restaurant to celebrate my cousin's 40th bday. It was great not to worry about what I was eating and drinking. I did the no-carb day yesterday, and really missed my PH 3 breakfast, probably because I was wanting carbs to help my stomach since I had a few too many....!

So far, so good!
I have had 2 cheat days so far in Phase 4. I'm beginning to not really like them. I eat too much and feel icky, plus I am paranoid the entire day I'm going to gain tons of weight. But, just like you, I miss the breakfast the next day! It is my favorite meal of each and every day. I have experienced the 3# gain in Phase 4. I lost in Phase 2 and 3. The cleanse day is hard for me....I eat mostly protein and veggies, but have yet to go back to full Phase I..as in 3 shakes, 4 cups of veggies, and one protein. I think I did one shake, and two proteins plus my veggies, so more like a phase 2.

170.2/139.4/137
Spiffsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #105
Started IP May 25,2010
 
petiteandcute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 354

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Default

Good morning, I have gained some pounds, I'm trying to figure out what I need to change. Clarice, did you go on phase 1 for a number of days and then back to phase 4? If so, how many days did you stay on phase 1? Do you know how many days you can do phase 1, go directly to phase 4 without doing phase 2 and 3?
__________________
petiteandcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2