3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #166

S/C/G: 254/183/190

Height: 6'3

Hi everyoneJust starting on phase 4 and have a question.... Dinner phase 4 consists mainly of carbs. According to the book by Tran, it is stated that we should shoot for around 150-200 grams of complex carbohydrates. In order to get around 150 grams of carbs from whole grain pasta, you'd have to consume 4 servings of the pasta, which would work out to be over 700 calories (before sauce/cheese/protein/etc). Just seems like a high calorie count and a huge amount of pasta. Am I missing something? Perhaps the 150 grams is just refering to the weight of the pasta (or whatever product is being used) and not the actual carb content. Thanks for the help!

Maintaining since April 11th, 2011
Mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #167
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
Hi everyoneJust starting on phase 4 and have a question.... Dinner phase 4 consists mainly of carbs. According to the book by Tran, it is stated that we should shoot for around 150-200 grams of complex carbohydrates. In order to get around 150 grams of carbs from whole grain pasta, you'd have to consume 4 servings of the pasta, which would work out to be over 700 calories (before sauce/cheese/protein/etc). Just seems like a high calorie count and a huge amount of pasta. Am I missing something? Perhaps the 150 grams is just refering to the weight of the pasta (or whatever product is being used) and not the actual carb content. Thanks for the help!
hi Mike,
just one of those weight/ measure mix ups, and you are right, it is total weight they are referring to, not to the amount of carbs.

You should have 5-7 oz of slow carb food mass total...considering there are 28 oz to a gram, that comes out to about 150 grams of "food mass'. So, one 5-7 oz (cooked) serving of rice or potato or pasta, etc. That is weighed, not measured. think of it as a pile of rice about the size of your protein portion from phase 1....that is a good sense of scale.
hope that helps!

"...the way I figure it, Heaven and **** are right here on Earth. Heaven is living in your hopes and **** is living in your fears. It's up to each individual which one he chooses."
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #168

S/C/G: 254/183/190

Height: 6'3

Thanks for the response Rocky! That helps a lot.

Maintaining since April 11th, 2011
Mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #169
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Mike, this is a little off the point of your question, but you might look into sprouted brown rice. You get the carbs and a lot more nutrition. Just Google "sprouted rice".
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #170
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Hey Guys...

Let's not let this thread fade away. I miss talking with all of you who have graduated to phases 2,3 & 4. Let's keep the conversation going!

Lynn
I agree with Lynn. I still go on the daily chat, but it's not the same with all you guys missing. I check this thread almost daily and I am guilty of reading and not posting. I would like to see this thread become more active. I know there are a lot of people on phase 4. I would like to see us share info and chat like we did on the daily thread in the past. Is this possible or is it just a dream? Check back later. Judy
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #171
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteandcute View Post
I agree with Lynn. I still go on the daily chat, but it's not the same with all you guys missing. I check this thread almost daily and I am guilty of reading and not posting. I would like to see this thread become more active. I know there are a lot of people on phase 4. I would like to see us share info and chat like we did on the daily thread in the past. Is this possible or is it just a dream? Check back later. Judy
I check in here almost every day. Also like to look at the daily chat and the experienced thread. I've looked at some of the newer threads but reluctant to post as some people seem to take offense way too easily. I love sharing ideas with all of you.
Rocky...I thought your advice on the "I'm Mad" thread was sage. I raised 2 boys working full time with a husband who was rarely home and I fed my kids way too much processed food. We do what we have to in life to get by but if life had "do-overs", that would be one of mine. My kids are now adults and have pretty awful eating habits. My bad.

Lynn

Last edited by woolberger; 04-14-2011 at 10:32 AM.
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #172
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
I've looked at some of the newer threads but reluctant to post as some people seem to take offense way too easily.
Amen. Rocky, I'm so very sorry you took such a beating. I haven't seen anything like it since the attach on I'm Svelting. Terrible examples of contorted logic, argumentem ad hominem, self-justification, and just plain old-fashioned missing-the point.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #173
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I check in here almost every day. Also like to look at the daily chat and the experienced thread. I've looked at some of the newer threads but reluctant to post as some people seem to take offense way too easily. I love sharing ideas with all of you.
Rocky...I thought your advice on the "I'm Mad" thread was sage. I raised 2 boys working full time with a husband who was rarely home and I fed my kids way too much processed food. We do what we have to in life to get by but if life had "do-overs", that would be one of mine. My kids are now adults and have pretty awful eating habits. My bad.

Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Amen. Rocky, I'm so very sorry you took such a beating. I haven't seen anything like it since the attach on I'm Svelting. Terrible examples of contorted logic, argumentem ad hominem, self-justification, and just plain old-fashioned missing-the point.
I wholeheartedly agree with Linden and Lynn, on all points. Rocky, your advise is important and valued. When I started IP, I fed my family IP dinners, they never once complained. I do not go to the daily thread any longer, but I do read this one and appreciate you all.

I started maintenance in early March, and have kept at the same weight, except after my free days, when the no carb day works like a charm. I have noticed that I don't crave carbs, and have been able to add them to my dinners without issue. It is so important to follow the rules of maintenance and not to slip back into poor eating habits. Today I was extremely tired around 2 pm, and it would have been so easy to hit a drivethru for a coffee latte, something I would have done in a heartbeat before IP. I fought through it, made it back home and had by coffee lightened with almond milk, felt great and really glad I didn't succumb. I didn't feel deprived, because I have enjoyed those lattes on my free days. So for it, it is working.

Last edited by JSP; 04-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #174
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 176 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Default Seems like a great idea to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I just posted this in the "phase 3 breakfast thread" too...

I've been thinking the last few days it would be great to start a Recipe and Menus thread for Phase 3 and 4, since that seems to come up a lot. We'd want to be sure it stayed "clean" with just recipes and menus, and no chatting so it did not get filled up too fast, and then it could become a very useful sticky. (and we keep this thread for chatting) What do you all you Phase 4 people think?
I like the idea of a Phase 3 and 4 recipe thread - that's one thing about IP - it's easy to invent great things and even more fun to share. I found the recipe for making pancakes out of the IP cereal and those are really good - and now that I'm in maintenance I want to find some lo-no carb solutions. I've also been hearing about some carb-free noodles that are called Miracle Noodles...haven't tried them yet.
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #175
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

I have been trying to keep up with the Phase 3 breakfast ideas thread - but it keeps getting lost in all the other little threads...

Its nice to have people to bounce ideas off of when it comes to Phase 3 & 4, because I don't know about you guys - but I found the protocol sheets so vague & misleading. They tell you that you have to stay on strict protocol - but then don't give you all the info you need to do it! Ugh! I'm just so frustrated with all of this.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #176
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Rocky - thanks for your reply in the "Experienced" thread - I am pickling (legal) some eggs (sick to death of plain hardboiled) and hoping that will change things up a bit for me.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #177
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Rocky...I thought your advice on the "I'm Mad" thread was sage. I raised 2 boys working full time with a husband who was rarely home and I fed my kids way too much processed food. We do what we have to in life to get by but if life had "do-overs", that would be one of mine. My kids are now adults and have pretty awful eating habits. My bad.Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with Linden and Lynn, on all points. Rocky, your advise is important and valued. When I started IP, I fed my family IP dinners, they never once complained. I do not go to the daily thread any longer, but I do read this one and appreciate you all..
Aw shucks, you guys are so sweet. I do appreciate your support and I won't deny that it was frustrating and sad to get a reaction like that. It means a lot to me to get support from you guys!!

I was on the verge of cancelling my 3FC membership that night, when I was PM'd by someone (who I'll keep private in case she doesn't want to also take heat) who expressed some of these sentiments. So there are additional "cooler heads" out there, and people who do want to consider bigger picture questions about their eating habits and lives. But thanks for the ongoing community!

"...the way I figure it, Heaven and **** are right here on Earth. Heaven is living in your hopes and **** is living in your fears. It's up to each individual which one he chooses."
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #178
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
It means a lot to me to get support from you guys!!
I don't want to contradict someone I admire. But truthfully, I think the support shoe is on the other foot.

(OMG, that's so bad it doesn't even merit being called a mixed metaphor. But I mean it.)

Last edited by Linden; 04-16-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #179
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Great Group!

Happy Weekend Everyone.

I just want to say how much I value this thread and appreciate everyone's ideas and input. One place the Ideal Protein Program is lacking is follow up. You reach phase 4 and you are literally "Cut Loose". I've said it before...but let's keep this thread active so we all have a place to pose questions, share concerns or just "shoot the s***"!

Thanks Everyone.

Lynn
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #180
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Lynn, I agree with you.