Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/170/120

Height: 5 ft

Default Breakouts

Hey everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of a fellow IP dieter who is having problems with acne breakouts. She's in her fifties, and ever since she's began the diet she has been prone to having breakouts when she had not had any before starting the diet. Any suggestions on what may be causing this?

Thanks....
cyansilverstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #2  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyansilverstar View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of a fellow IP dieter who is having problems with acne breakouts. She's in her fifties, and ever since she's began the diet she has been prone to having breakouts when she had not had any before starting the diet. Any suggestions on what may be causing this?

Thanks....
i am having a similar problem, and my best guess is that it has to do with the estrogen that is being released from the expended fat cells. that, AND, if she is not used to eating soy, there is quite a bit of estrogen in soy products that can tend to make people break out. quite a bit of our IP product has soy proteins, but i think the biggest culprit is the excess of estrogen from stored fat. the omega 3s have really helped my skin to clear up, but that didn't fix my problem entirely. i still break out in weird places (like on my back). it feels similar to when men are on steroids and they get back acne because of the increased estrogen in their bodies... among other things.

i hope the helps a bit!
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #3  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

I had some INSANE breakouts for the first couple months of the program - like all the toxins in the fat were coming out through my skin... Fortunately, it cleared up without me changing anything - I'm now in week 20 and it isn't any worse than it was before I started the program. In fact, my skin is better!
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Strange how it effects people differently! My skin is the clearest it has been in years. Has she just started IP? Because I've read that ketosis is actually sometimes prescribed for acne...but it does take a little time to clear the toxins. But something about the release of insulin triggering the insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1). IGF-1 is an anabolic hormone we spit out of our pituitary gland and can excess amounts of IGF-1 can cause excess sebum. Hopefully in time she will see it improve!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #5  
Can't wait to lose 50 pds

S/C/G: SW: 170/CW: 169/GW: 120

Height: 5ft

I'm bringing this thread back because unfortunately I have gotten a lot of pimples that are super red and agressive looking since I've been on IP. Is it because of the hormones? Being a 19 year old who loves to socialize this is not too fun
lhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #6  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

I started out with great skin! Then, all of a sudden I was having insane breakouts around my cheeks and chin. I agree with the previous poster that it has to do with the estrogen being released.

My friend is an esthetician and so I went to see her for a consult. I got a facial and changed my skincare regimen- You actually should do this every 3-4 months as your skin can kind of "get used to" whatever you are using. My skin has been EXCELLENT since.
staceyjblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #7  
Can't wait to lose 50 pds

S/C/G: SW: 170/CW: 169/GW: 120

Height: 5ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyjblack View Post
My friend is an esthetician and so I went to see her for a consult. I got a facial and changed my skincare regimen- You actually should do this every 3-4 months as your skin can kind of "get used to" whatever you are using. My skin has been EXCELLENT since.
How did you change your skincare regimen if you don't mind me asking?
lhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

I too had wonderful skin.... now I look worse then a teenager! I coach keep's telling me it will clear up but in 2 months is worse. I just accept it as "well bad skin and getting thin" could be great skin and fat....
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #9  
SBDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhams View Post
How did you change your skincare regimen if you don't mind me asking?
I used to use Dermalogica products for normal to dry skin. Based on my friends recommendation, I now use Aveda (its what she sells) for normal to oily. She said that while my skin was in fact dry, the moisturizer was too heavy for me and causing my pores to clog.

I use a gentle exfoliator every night- it came in a 4 piece kit: http://www.aveda.com/product/7574/19...kin/index.tmpl

Really just switching was great, and aveda products smell amazing). I feel like im at the spa twice a day.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #10  
SBDubs

While I can tell you what I am doing, I really recommend going to a dermatologist or to get a facial. Its a great kick off to getting your skin in the right place. they will really look at your skin and tell you whats going on.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 179.6 on a quest to 140

Height: 5' 3''

staceyj I cannot PM you however, I see that you are active on here - your weight loss is very close to what I am trying to achieve. I see that you started in April - did it only take you a month+ to loose? What phase are you in now?Thanks! Really really need the push today - see my "Bored" thread on the main IP page.
JackBs Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #12  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 216/196/140

Height: 5'4"

Just letting you know your friend isn't alone as I was breaking out a bunch on my temples for about 2-3 weeks, then cleared up this past week. I've been pretty clear of break outs aside from during pregnancies in the past couple decades, so it was a bit weird to have a localized ongoing breakout like that for awhile.
ferrousgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #13  
Ideal Protein Newbie

S/C/G: 247/237/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

I'm on day 6, lots of breakout spots and some nausea. The weight loss has been great though, so I'm trying to focus on that and hope the rest will subside. Good to hear other experiences and I might try the omega 3 if needed. Good luck to your friend!
Zipliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 338.6/218/210

Height: 5'11"

Guy's have this same problem. I am 50 and have not had breakouts like this since I was in my teens. I guess I'll have to go to a dermatologist to get it straightened out.
hyrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #15  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

I am all the opposite! I even opened a threat about it once. Ever since I started IP, I don't have acne anymore! When I stop, I have it back, when I restart, no more pimples! I guess the hormonal change works differently on each of us!
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote