Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/246.5/200

Height: 5'7"

Question IP newbie, now with broken ankle

Hi. I started the IP diet on 2/8/11 weighing in at 265. On 2/11, I weighed 256.5. I love this diet and followed it faithfully, even cutting out my Diet Coke cold turkey! Well, on 2/11 i slipped on the ice and broke my ankle in 3 places. After 3 days in the hospital and major surgury with plates and pins I am on bed rest with my leg elevated until 2/21. When I got home I started on the diet again and wieghed 2/15 with my cast 262.5 and today I weigh 259 with cast. How do I figure the progress out and will all the meds and antibiotics have any effect on the IP diet?

THANKS!
I have lots of other questions I sent off to my IP doctor today.
sheila605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Not on IP, but as someone laid up with a ice-slip sprained ankle so I feel a tiny, tiny fraction of your pain. Just wanted to express my sympathy. If you want to discuss odd pilates/cardio that you can do with a ankle injury, just let me know
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #3  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila605 View Post
Hi. I started the IP diet on 2/8/11 weighing in at 265. On 2/11, I weighed 256.5. I love this diet and followed it faithfully, even cutting out my Diet Coke cold turkey! Well, on 2/11 i slipped on the ice and broke my ankle in 3 places. After 3 days in the hospital and major surgury with plates and pins I am on bed rest with my leg elevated until 2/21. When I got home I started on the diet again and wieghed 2/15 with my cast 262.5 and today I weigh 259 with cast. How do I figure the progress out and will all the meds and antibiotics have any effect on the IP diet?

THANKS!
I have lots of other questions I sent off to my IP doctor today.
You should really discuss the diet with your orthopedist and see if you need to be modifying things while you heal - the calorie restriction can really affect your healing.
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #4  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Sheila, I'd definitely talk to your doctor. I spent my first three months on IP with a stress fracture. Normal healing time should have been 6-8 weeks, but it did take longer to heal. The extended time could also be in part to the bad diagnosis I received initially, but probably not all of it.

The good news is that I wasn't tempted to exercise too much and the better news is that I lost a lot of weight during that time, but I really do think the healing took longer than it would have otherwise. (I would do the same thing again though.)
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote