Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: S205/G145-150

Height: 5'9" **started 2/17/11**

Default I'm considering IP, but concerned about the expense and being in ketosis for so long

I have a friend that is on IP and has lost 35 pounds in the first 6 weeks. It's inspiring and from what I've read I'm thinking it might work for me. However, I keep finding conflicting information about ketosis, which is apparently where the dieter spends the most amount of their time. I've heard it can have the potential to cause kidney or pancreatic problems. I'm also wondering about the expense end of things.

Does anyone have any opinions they'd like to share about these aspects?

BTW, I've checked through the recipe suggestions on this website for breaking up the monotony and I'm thoroughly inspired and I'm thinking I might actually be able to pull this off if I can get past my health and expense concerns.

Last edited by kellibelli; 02-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.
kellibelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #2  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Well I can tell you that I had some of the same concerns initially. I work in the medical community and we have several physicians that have utilized the program and have been very successful. Infact one of them opened the clinic in our town, but that was only after he spent 2 years researching Ideal Protein. After knowing that and trusting these physicians for years and years I totally felt comfortable moving forward.

As far as expense, it seems expensive initially, It sort of balances out because I am forced to cook at home so we save money by not eatting out. The majority of the time my family eats what I eat for dinner they just add a starch. I buy a lot more meat and tons of veggies, when the budget is tight I go for the cheeper ones. Plus remember that this cost is short term and the benefits will last forever not to mention you are worth it!!!

Good luck!
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #3  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I have been on IP for 5 plus months now. As far as cost...the amount of weight I have lost and the changes to my mind and body.....I can't even put a price on it.

I have not been out of ketosis since September 15 (only took me 2 days to get into it). In just the last two weeks I have seen my GP, endrocrinologist, and gastroentronologist and all three are in full approval and are all so pleased with my weight loss.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellibelli View Post
I have a friend that is on IP and has lost 35 pounds in the first 6 weeks. It's inspiring and from what I've read I'm thinking it might work for me. However, I keep finding conflicting information about ketosis, which is apparently where the dieter spends the most amount of their time. I've heard it can have the potential to cause kidney or pancreatic problems. I'm also wondering about the expense end of things.

Does anyone have any opinions they'd like to share about these aspects?
The expense and expense vs. health issues have been addressed. Unless you have a predisposition toward gall bladder problems, this program is intended to correct kidney and pancreatic problems. What you've been reading about ketosis and health issues applies to diets with high fat. This is NOT one of those. Give it a try. Think about what you've got to lose.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S205/G145-150

Height: 5'9" **started 2/17/11**

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. It's helpful to be able to talk to people who've been on the program a while.
kellibelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellibelli View Post
Thank you all for your responses. It's helpful to be able to talk to people who've been on the program a while.
I would like to also encourage you to read the book on Ideal Protein and research as much as you can before you commit. Then, get on the program with a really good naturopathic doctor. All the negative symptoms I read about on here I have experience with or had at some point, like being cold (still am freezing all of the time), bad dreams initially as I was letting go of the weight/shame, carb/sugar withdrawals the first few weeks, anxiety, etc.

I addressed all of these with my doctor and she works (ed) with me to resolve them. I take natural supplements (Aryuvedic, homeopathic and vitamins) and eat only organic foods. I use sea salt and stevia as a sweetener (though stevia makes me dizzy and nauseous, so I generally avoid it). It's hard, but it's worth it. It's extremely expensive, but it's worth it. It wiped out my savings, but it's my health for life and I never intend to go back to eating the way I was before. You can't put a price on your health. Without your health, the money doesn't matter because you can't enjoy it anyway.

You'll struggle and push through and come to this forum for support, then all of a sudden your clothes start falling off of you and you realize that when you walk past a mirror or a window, you have to look again because you expected to see more of you in your reflection. I don't know if my brain has connected with my new body because I am always amazed when a photo is taken now or when I look in the mirror. I'm only half way through my journey, but I expect to be in optimal health by June (in time for summer). The results are amazing. I can't tell you how many diets I have been on-this has been the only successful one for me because I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I was addicted to carbs/sugar and was clueless on how to eat for my body type. I am learning now how I need to eat for the rest of my life and feel grateful to have stumbled upon this diet and this forum.

I wish you all the best as you start your IP journey!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/?see ticker?/150

Height: 5'6"

I agree with you whole heartedly that IP is expensive. But I have found that it balances out. I am now buying for both my husband and myself. I've also found alternatives to some IP products that are exactly the same, just have a different label. I wanted this, and even though I struggle with the finance side of it sometimes, I manage!!
whisperingshouts is offline   Reply With Quote