Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5' 2"

Default Gallbladder problems

I wonder if anyone else has had any gallbladder problems while on IP? I had been having nausea and stomach problems, but just thought it was an adjustment to the program. Last weekend I ended up being really sick all weekend and went to my doctor this week. Turns out I was having gallbladder attacks. I always thought that high fat intake caused gall bladder problems but my doctor said that quick weight loss and low calorie carb intake can precipitate gall bladder problems. Plus the trinity of female, fat and forty!! She did not discourage me from IP but wants me to take it easy for a bit. Right now I can't eat much of anything without pain, so no major no no's for me! I am taking it easy and waiting to get all test results but wondered if anyone has had any similar problems? It just stinks, because this is the first time in three years I have made real headway and have now hit a temporary glitch!
jazzbearyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #2  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Did she order you an ultrasound or a HIDA scan to rule out gall stones or a blocked gall bladder?
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Did she order you an ultrasound or a HIDA scan to rule out gall stones or a blocked gall bladder?
I had the ultrasound done on Friday, plus bloodwork. She said she would probably order a hida scan this week depending on the results from the ultrasound.

Last edited by jazzbearyjam; 02-07-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216.4/175.4/169

Height: 5'7"

I had my gallbladder removed after loosing 80lbs, before getting pregnant and having to loose it again. The doctors told me that gallstones actually form when you switch from a high fat diet to a low fat diet cause your gallbladder isn't as active anymore there fore stones form and sometimes get stuck causing the pain.

It was seriously the worst pain I have ever felt, worse then child birth. I sometimes wish I never had my gallbladder removed though, cause it kept me aware of the foods I ate. If I ate more then 10g of fat per meal I would have a attack, it kept me from eatting all the naughty foods~ lol.
annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #5  

[QUOTE=annieann77;3699706]I had my gallbladder removed after loosing 80lbs, before getting pregnant and having to loose it again. The doctors told me that gallstones actually form when you switch from a high fat diet to a low fat diet cause your gallbladder isn't as active anymore there fore stones form and sometimes get stuck causing the pain.

That is really interesting and makes sense. I don't know that my pain was worse than childbirth, but I was pregnant with twins!! It was pretty bad! I haven't had that acute pain since and got the results from my ultrasound today. That looked normal, so now I have to go next week for a HIDA scan and have been referred to a GI doctor which I will see next month.

I haven't been using the protein paks the last few days but think I am going to ease back into the program again. I really don't want to have my gallbladder taken out and I really do want to lose this weight. I was thinking I may go low carb for a few days then add a protein pak for three days then add another meal and track my progress.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216.4/175.4/169

Height: 5'7"

Good luck with your doc appts! I think you would be fine having the shakes, they are low fat, which is what you want to stay away from. The more fat you have in your diet the more active your gallbladder will be, so if you do have stones it will pump them out which may cause pain. In your case I would be watching fat intake, reducing carbs will help lose weight but shouldn't cause issues. But I'm no doctor
annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219.9/168.7/169.0

Height: 5'9"

I was told when I started the program(not by my IP coach but a naturopath) to be wary of something like this occurring as my gallbladder has acted up before...I was then told that my best bet was to take a really good fish oil capsule.. so I have faithfully taken them each day with no problems ... don't know if this helps or not...
Brenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenley View Post
I was told when I started the program(not by my IP coach but a naturopath) to be wary of something like this occurring as my gallbladder has acted up before...I was then told that my best bet was to take a really good fish oil capsule.. so I have faithfully taken them each day with no problems ... don't know if this helps or not...
Wow! That is awesome! I started taking fish oil and borage oil about a week ago. Maybe that will help ward off any type of surgery. Today I haven not had the indegestion and nagging pain in my right side. I really don't want to have surgery and am hoping this will resolve. Thank you for sharing that, it really does help!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #9  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'2"

Default have heard of gall bladder problems

I was on IP last May - liked it and lost 10 lbs. (gained 5 back so far). I didn't want to be on it too long because I considered the possibility of gall bladder problems from an unbalanced diet. That, and I wasn't sure about heavy metal contents of whey proteins, which were reported in some products, and which could be significant. Anyway, I loved the diet, found it pretty easy, and I lost weight. But in the back of my mind I was thinking it might be good for more than a couple months. It's really difficult - the results are so good, but at what cost (health and money). I still like the idea of a low-carb diet, but I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and nuts. I'll get back on track this spring, maybe jumpstart with IP, but move on to a more real food diet, supplemented with higher protein products.
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfancy View Post
I was on IP last May - liked it and lost 10 lbs. (gained 5 back so far). I didn't want to be on it too long because I considered the possibility of gall bladder problems from an unbalanced diet. That, and I wasn't sure about heavy metal contents of whey proteins, which were reported in some products, and which could be significant. Anyway, I loved the diet, found it pretty easy, and I lost weight. But in the back of my mind I was thinking it might be good for more than a couple months. It's really difficult - the results are so good, but at what cost (health and money). I still like the idea of a low-carb diet, but I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and nuts. I'll get back on track this spring, maybe jumpstart with IP, but move on to a more real food diet, supplemented with higher protein products.
First, please see the thread kellibelli started. Thattis the whole truth about expense and health issues except the fact that IP has NO heavy metal issues.

Greek yogurt and nuts are good and good for you. But they don't cover the essential amino acids your body needs. Don't cheat yourself, OK?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #11  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

It is also important to make sure you get in your daily oil allowance, I did also take an omega on top of that....
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
It is also important to make sure you get in your daily oil allowance, I did also take an omega on top of that....
Hey look who just popped in! How are you! And just to make you feel at home
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #13  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Hey look who just popped in! How are you! And just to make you feel at home
This reminds me. Anyone at all ever hear from Novak?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote