Height: 5' 8"

http://www.ctds.info/acidic-foods.html

Acid vs. alkaline foods, hmmm.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsi View Post
Mabye I can use this as a learning lesson one more battle I fought and won in the struggle of my bad eating habits! I still want to drown my sorrows and angers in food but I didn't today and I hope to say the same thing tomorrow!
Thank You
Pegsi I am sorry that you are struggling [[[[HUGS]]]]
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 182/146/130

Height: 5'3"

Cheekywit you are my hero! 7 years... you are a strong brave woman! I have had bladder infections, urinary tract infections and yeast infections since I was young (starting with the bladder) and I know the pain of them all but UTI's take the pain cake! I am so happy you have found some relief in this diet! That is a WHOPPING NSV!!!

I had a mini NSV yesterday evening I was playing with my dog and my PJ pants fell down (I was standing at the time) Luckily my teenage boys were downstairs and my chihuahua is a girl! LOL
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #109  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello all!! Long time no talk!! I hate to admit that I have been HORRIBLE over the last couple of months... Brandon is home which means there has been a lot of junk food in the house! But as of yesterday I am back on IP 100% and loving it! I hope everyone is doing great! I missed all of you and am going to start coming back daily to help keep me motivated.
Unfortunately the scale has refelcted my horrible eating habits.. As of this morning I am back up to 192.7.. That's almost 20 lbs gained from my lowest. I'm not too pleased with myself, but I have learned my lesson and I am back for the long haul!!
I bought my wedding dress two weekends ago, so I'm more motivated than ever now!! Can't wait to continue on my journey with all of you!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #110  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I'm in 8s now too! Except this just proves how different our bodies are. You are at least 5" taller than me, but we're about the same weight and jean size...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadancer View Post
I've noticed that too! I figured it must be the boobs! Once you loose them you will get a big jump on me weight-wise. Btw - Congrats on the 8s! Feels good, eh?!

I am so happy for the both of you and hope that I can join you soon enough. I have a pair of 8's at home that I can put on, but they are tight! I also tried on several 8's when shopping over the weekend and I could put them all on, but again too tight. I am hoping within 2 weeks I can take that major leap to an 8...a place I have not been since high school (almost a quarter of a century ago...boo hoo) Yippeee for both of you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Hello all!! Long time no talk!! I hate to admit that I have been HORRIBLE over the last couple of months... Brandon is home which means there has been a lot of junk food in the house! But as of yesterday I am back on IP 100% and loving it! I hope everyone is doing great! I missed all of you and am going to start coming back daily to help keep me motivated.
Unfortunately the scale has refelcted my horrible eating habits.. As of this morning I am back up to 192.7.. That's almost 20 lbs gained from my lowest. I'm not too pleased with myself, but I have learned my lesson and I am back for the long haul!!
I bought my wedding dress two weekends ago, so I'm more motivated than ever now!! Can't wait to continue on my journey with all of you!
Welcome back and I remember you. Good luck finishing this journey. I almost stopped and was satisfied a few weeks ago and decided to get this done all the way to goal, before I switch to another plan.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #111  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
It's so good to see you again. Very, very best of good eating so you'll fit into that wedding gown. Pictures? Please?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #112  
mepeterson

S/C/G: 212/171/145

Hey all,
I am back as well. I started my IP journey in Oct 2009. I loss some weight and phased off in April 2010. I kept all my weight off until the end of August when I had a major surgery that laid me up for quite a while. Since then I have been on and off again with IP, on steroids, more medical stuff and a cruise. I was back up to 191 given all this. I have started IP (alternative products) again and am proud to report that I am one week compliant and down to 185!
I can do this. I like many of you am having a hard time being compliant and until last week would make it about 3 days on 3 days off. I am scared because during my 3 days off I eat EVERYTHING!!! No Joke! Here is hoping that I can stick this out and get it done!!
thanks everyone!
ps. I am not changing my ticker until I reach that weight again!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #113  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

Default Not trying to hijack this thread -- just following up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsgrrl View Post
Linden did you read Cheekywit's post yesterday?

Cheeky - thank you for the info and that is amazing after 7 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Yes, thank you. That's why I went looking plus an interest in the effects of vinegar.
Quote:
http://www.ctds.info/acidic-foods.html

Acid vs. alkaline foods, hmmm.
Thanks all for your comments and personal research. To clarify the scientist are working specifically with acidic environments caused by over use of carbohydrates and refined sugar. They are not studying individual foods but the results of years of poor food combinations resulting in a more acidic environment. Technically yeast/candida cannot survive in a perfectly balanced environment. In a balanced ph diet vinegar, probiotics, cheese etc would not be an issue because we are eating both alkaline and acidic foods in balance. The body actually prefers a balanced PH. I suspect, although I cannot confirm this - IP is trying to move the body out of an acidic state to a more alkaline state because it is better to be a bit more alkaline then acidic but ideally you would want to be balanced. Since the research is being done on acidic environments and yeast - alkaline environments (as well as balanced environments) are considered part of the control group. Again I have to stress this is not gospel just interesting research.

One of things I did (based on suggestions from the team I work with) was to request a stool test from my doctor to see if I had yeast before starting IP (this is one way to find out) - I assumed given my use of antibiotics I might have some yeast - but I never really had "yeast infections" however, when the results came back it showed I had an almost systemic yeast overgrowth - uggggg -- funny thing is I had some of the symptoms (not itchy ones that would have been obvious to me) but the cravings, weight gain, insulin issues and a weakened immune system (like allergies, when your body is dealing with yeast it makes you more susceptible to illness - mine happened to be UTIs which is the weakest part of my immune system)-- I shared my results with them and they said --EXACTLY what you have done (I eat pretty healthy, too much of it, but I am a very clean food eater) over years has created the ideal host environment to yeast. (add antibiotic use on top of it just compounded the problem) I cannot wait until I am done with phase 1 -- -- I am going to do the stool test again (dr. said he would order it) to see if I was able to clear my body of the yeast. I have also discovered that I am highly highly sensitive to corn - I had no idea of this because again I didn't have "allergic" reactions or what I thought were the typical allergic reactions to food - so between finding this out (I lOVE working with scientists-- they are always willing to help me discover things) and knowing I have yeast overgrowth probably caused in part by my corn sensitivity - it makes sense. It is no wonder I am carbohydrate sensitive - add this to my love of pasta, risotto, potatoes and cookies -- I am an insulin disaster/yeast host in the making (and I thought I was doing well to ban high fructose corn syrup from the house)

I am still learning -but being able to put my personal discoveries together with the principals of the diet, and then running it by the scientists to see what they think makes it easier for me to stick to the diet and to accept that this is not going to be a short term fix for me. I will fortunately and unfortunately probably have to stick close to the tenants of this diet for the rest of my life or I will end up right back where I started (pancreas reset/or not -- I now know how my pancreas reacts and if it has failed or slowed or whatever once it will again if I go back to eating the way I did.)

Thank you all for taking the time to research this yourself - I always think discoveries are made but just putting it out there -- and who knows maybe this will help -at the very least it gets people talking and thinking. There is power in that.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Welcome back! I was wondering what had happened to you. So glad your sweetheart is back with you! There's lots for you to look forward to, getting your weight goals included.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyWit View Post
Thank you all for taking the time to research this yourself - I always think discoveries are made but just putting it out there -- and who knows maybe this will help -at the very least it gets people talking and thinking. There is power in that.
I bet this has made you feel the best you have in years!!

Thanks again for sharing your data and I hope it does get people talking and thinking. It did me.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Coffee and Weight Loss

I have made some observations about the role coffee plays for me. I can't generalize and say that it's going to be true for everyone.

When I started the program I decided to give up coffee as well. After the withdrawal period, which coincided with withdrawing from all things not allowed on IP, it was pretty easy. I slept a lot more but my energy was fine, steady, and reliable. And the more I slept the easier it was for the pounds to slide off.

Over Christmas we had guests who love their coffee, and I started up again. It does taste good when combined with one of the RTDs or the PureProtein vanilla shake! And it gives a boost of energy.

The problem was that the boost of energy didn't last, the same way a sugar boost doesn't last. There was a crashing sensation and a sense of desperation to eat again sooner than the program would allow. I found myself nibbling between meals to overcome that sense of desperate need.

The other thing was that suddenly I was sleeping 5-6 hours instead of 8, even though the coffee had been ingested in the morning. It was great to have that time, but ...... All of the research I have read says that our bodies tend to hold onto or gain weight when we don't have enough sleep.

The lack of sleep sets a whole complex of reactions starting with the brain craving massive amounts of carbohydrates in order to function. Then of course there is that overhanging tiredness at the edge of one's consciousness which makes one hold back on being as active as one would like. And the third problem with diminished sleep is that it acts negatively on the cardiovascular system, making it feel threatened. (not very scientifically expressed, I know.)

So my inner wisdom finally got the best of my desire for that taste, and I stopped the coffee again. My husband has stopped too, to support me. Fortunately he finds Japanese green tea as delicious and refreshing as coffee, so it's no problem for him.

And guess what. I had one AWFUL day of headaches, feeling hung over, and general creakiness. Then I slept a whole lot, and the weight has started to come off again, even though it had been a struggle for the weeks since Christmas.

For me, that's a connection.

One other NSV - I had lost the mental connection to the feeling of getting thinner. It's back, and that's a motivator in itself!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasherea View Post
Darbs7, that is what I used the whole time I was on IP and it didn't affect my weight loss at all. I was honest with my coach too and told her this was the only way I would be able to eat salad and she gave me the green light. Just use it in moderation.

I have been doing pretty good on maintenance. And pretty good to me is that since June I have been within 3 lbs the whole time and am still wearing all the same clothes. I have bad days followed by good days. It's not ideal but it is working. I feel like I can finally keep this weight off for life.
WOW! since June1? you are a true inspiration!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #118  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I'm in 8s now too! Except this just proves how different our bodies are. You are at least 5" taller than me, but we're about the same weight and jean size...
I am in an 8 as well, but we are about the same height. I hope to be in a 6 when I reach my goal..............if that ever happens *sigh*
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #119  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal88 View Post
I have made some observations about the role coffee plays for me. I can't generalize and say that it's going to be true for everyone.

When I started the program I decided to give up coffee as well. After the withdrawal period, which coincided with withdrawing from all things not allowed on IP, it was pretty easy. I slept a lot more but my energy was fine, steady, and reliable. And the more I slept the easier it was for the pounds to slide off.

Over Christmas we had guests who love their coffee, and I started up again. It does taste good when combined with one of the RTDs or the PureProtein vanilla shake! And it gives a boost of energy.

The problem was that the boost of energy didn't last, the same way a sugar boost doesn't last. There was a crashing sensation and a sense of desperation to eat again sooner than the program would allow. I found myself nibbling between meals to overcome that sense of desperate need.

The other thing was that suddenly I was sleeping 5-6 hours instead of 8, even though the coffee had been ingested in the morning. It was great to have that time, but ...... All of the research I have read says that our bodies tend to hold onto or gain weight when we don't have enough sleep.

The lack of sleep sets a whole complex of reactions starting with the brain craving massive amounts of carbohydrates in order to function. Then of course there is that overhanging tiredness at the edge of one's consciousness which makes one hold back on being as active as one would like. And the third problem with diminished sleep is that it acts negatively on the cardiovascular system, making it feel threatened. (not very scientifically expressed, I know.)

So my inner wisdom finally got the best of my desire for that taste, and I stopped the coffee again. My husband has stopped too, to support me. Fortunately he finds Japanese green tea as delicious and refreshing as coffee, so it's no problem for him.

And guess what. I had one AWFUL day of headaches, feeling hung over, and general creakiness. Then I slept a whole lot, and the weight has started to come off again, even though it had been a struggle for the weeks since Christmas.

For me, that's a connection.

One other NSV - I had lost the mental connection to the feeling of getting thinner. It's back, and that's a motivator in itself!
Coffee!! Now you're talking to my demon!!! I, too, gave up the coffee (shudders) for a while this past fall and the weight did seem to slip off more effortlessly. In the cold of winter, I have restarted my habit and now with your nudging, I will give it up again!! I always wondered about the coffee link with being hungry inbetween meals or just the wanting of the food without even being hungry!! I'll try my tea again instead - even though I don't really enjoy it like I did coffee. I am thinking, like you, that it will help me to control the desire for mid day snacks! Thanks so much for your observations! I am with you - coffee-less from here on.[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyWit View Post
Thanks all for your comments and personal research. To clarify the scientist are working specifically with acidic environments caused by over use of carbohydrates and refined sugar. They are not studying individual foods but the results of years of poor food combinations resulting in a more acidic environment. Technically yeast/candida cannot survive in a perfectly balanced environment. In a balanced ph diet vinegar, probiotics, cheese etc would not be an issue because we are eating both alkaline and acidic foods in balance. The body actually prefers a balanced PH. I suspect, although I cannot confirm this - IP is trying to move the body out of an acidic state to a more alkaline state because it is better to be a bit more alkaline then acidic but ideally you would want to be balanced. Since the research is being done on acidic environments and yeast - alkaline environments (as well as balanced environments) are considered part of the control group. Again I have to stress this is not gospel just interesting research.

One of things I did (based on suggestions from the team I work with) was to request a stool test from my doctor to see if I had yeast before starting IP (this is one way to find out) - I assumed given my use of antibiotics I might have some yeast - but I never really had "yeast infections" however, when the results came back it showed I had an almost systemic yeast overgrowth - uggggg -- funny thing is I had some of the symptoms (not itchy ones that would have been obvious to me) but the cravings, weight gain, insulin issues and a weakened immune system (like allergies, when your body is dealing with yeast it makes you more susceptible to illness - mine happened to be UTIs which is the weakest part of my immune system)-- I shared my results with them and they said --EXACTLY what you have done (I eat pretty healthy, too much of it, but I am a very clean food eater) over years has created the ideal host environment to yeast. (add antibiotic use on top of it just compounded the problem) I cannot wait until I am done with phase 1 -- -- I am going to do the stool test again (dr. said he would order it) to see if I was able to clear my body of the yeast. I have also discovered that I am highly highly sensitive to corn - I had no idea of this because again I didn't have "allergic" reactions or what I thought were the typical allergic reactions to food - so between finding this out (I lOVE working with scientists-- they are always willing to help me discover things) and knowing I have yeast overgrowth probably caused in part by my corn sensitivity - it makes sense. It is no wonder I am carbohydrate sensitive - add this to my love of pasta, risotto, potatoes and cookies -- I am an insulin disaster/yeast host in the making (and I thought I was doing well to ban high fructose corn syrup from the house)

I am still learning -but being able to put my personal discoveries together with the principals of the diet, and then running it by the scientists to see what they think makes it easier for me to stick to the diet and to accept that this is not going to be a short term fix for me. I will fortunately and unfortunately probably have to stick close to the tenants of this diet for the rest of my life or I will end up right back where I started (pancreas reset/or not -- I now know how my pancreas reacts and if it has failed or slowed or whatever once it will again if I go back to eating the way I did.)

[/SIZE]
Cheeky, this is incredibly interesting to me and I have to think that my coffee issue doesn't help with regard to this either. Very interesting. Thanks so much for posting this!![/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote:
Pegsi I am sorry that you are struggling [[[[HUGS]]]]
Pegsi, I'm so sorry that you are struggling too!! Why is it so hard for us to love ourselves? If your little dog had to eat a certain way to be healthy, you would feed her the healthy foods - period! You would explain to her big brown eyes that you're sorry she can't eat the things that make her sick/unhealthy because you LOVE her and you want her to be around for a long time feeling GOOD!!! That is what we want for you too Pegsi!! It is hard but darn it all - YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

Ladies, it has been a pleasure to read here - thank you all for your input. So we learn and grow (not size wise!!) and spend another day trying to be our best possible selves!! You are not alone. Thank you all for sharing your light!! XOXO to you all![/SIZE]
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #120  

For those of you trying tea instead of coffee try celestial seasonings roastaroma tea it is herbal but made with chicory it has a bit of a coffee flavor to it and is very hearty at least for tea.
Closed Thread