Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #1  

Question egg drop soup/sodium?

Hello all,
I went to the cafe for lunch because they usually have steamed veggies I eat with my IP lunches. Well today they had egg drop soup and it took all I had to pass up the General Tso's chicken, so I thought the small cup of egg drop soup was ok to have. It seemed to have some salt in it. Is it okay to have iodized salt on IP. I omitted my IP real salt for lunch. Is that gonna be ok? I was planning on having my IP soup as a snack in a couple of hours....any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Total wt loss as of
1/25/11 - 9.2 lbs
staceymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymr View Post
Hello all,
I went to the cafe for lunch because they usually have steamed veggies I eat with my IP lunches. Well today they had egg drop soup and it took all I had to pass up the General Tso's chicken, so I thought the small cup of egg drop soup was ok to have. It seemed to have some salt in it. Is it okay to have iodized salt on IP. I omitted my IP real salt for lunch. Is that gonna be ok? I was planning on having my IP soup as a snack in a couple of hours....any suggestions?
Short answer, no. Long answer, it was great that you passed up the chicken, but the commercial recipe for egg drop soup often contains flour to extend the egg. And the fat in the broth probably tasted good but didn't do you any good. The sodium content, if prepared from commercial chicken broth, probably had anywhere from 800 to 1200 mg of sodium. Arrrgh. On the other hand, if you make this at home using home-made chicken broth and much less salt, this might be a good choice. Play around with it? Here's a standard home-made recipe: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chin...ggdropsoup.htm I don't think anyone has brought up this idea before, that I remember.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #3  

Thumbs up thanks for the egg drop recipe

Thank you for the info! I will pass it up all together and make it at home next time! Thanks!
staceymr is offline   Reply With Quote