Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #1  

Question Need help with beverages

The adult beverages are getting me in trouble. I just want to know how much derailment am I causing myself when I have a few vodka/mineral water or crown/diet coke? Ugh, I am really trying to resist but it's so hard to in social situations.
staceymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymr View Post
The adult beverages are getting me in trouble. I just want to know how much derailment am I causing myself when I have a few vodka/mineral water or crown/diet coke? Ugh, I am really trying to resist but it's so hard to in social situations.
Vodka is better that crown by a little. Vodka (unflavored or three olives flavored is zero carbs.) It still has sugar alcohols and some carbs.

The alcohol alone will slow you down a bit. WHY? Because alcohol has to be processed by the liver. FAT is also processed by the liver. The body prioritizes what has to be done to keep us "most healthy" and Alive. In the scheme of things, clearing toxins comes first so, if you are dehydrated (often caused by alcohol) then the kidneys need help and the liver comes in to support it. If you are drinking alcohol, you are drinking a substance the body finds to be a toxin IN PART and it works to clear the toxin out first. Then, when things are more normal and you are again well hydrated, the liver burns fat.

ALSO, the order of burning is carbs, alcohols, fats, protein. If you have no carbs, you are still stalled while your body burns alcohol off then it burns fat. Provided you eat NO EXCESS CARBS (which many people want with alcohol) you will only be delayed slightly.

IF you must have the alcohol and are willing to accept that you will lose a bit more slowly, maybe it is worth it. You need to create a lifestyle you can live with. HOWEVER, that choice will have a price because, you will be buying supplements (IP or other) awhile longer than if you were giving up the alcohol.

REMEMBER, Alcohol is not allowed on the diet because of empty calories, because it often leads to people over eating or adding back carbs, because it slows down fat burning, because it may interfere with the chemistry of the diet, and because it may effect the acidity balance of the diet. It will not through you from ketosis if you use Vodka.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #3  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

They are huge.... you might as well not do the diet if you are going to continue to drink them. This really is a diet that you can not cheat on. It's not like other plans where you can cheat and still lose. You have to follow the plan 100%. You must allow your pancreas to rest, if you drink these beverages it does not rest and you are defeating the program. Bring a pina colada packet and mix it up and pour into a glass if you need to have a drink in your hand....
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #4  

Something else to keep in mind. Although alcohol is not carb based when you have vodka, it can (in larger quantities than you can easily metabolize; about 1.5 oz per hour for a woman) interfere with pancreatic enzyme production. It will only interfere with insulin production if you also have a large volume of alcohol which will drop blood sugar lower (hypoglycemia... this leads to the food craving that accompanies alcohol) and if you don't eat your body can produce a "rebound" insulin push which causes low blood sugar with HIGH insulin.. NOT ideal if you are trying to retrain you body to be insulin sensitive and to produce appropriate levels of insulin.

Although we rest the pancreas, it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn it off. We are always producing pancreatic enzymes and hormones. We are just trying to do it at consistent and low levels. Having alcohol in large quantities will definitely mess with that. Having 1 oz... probably not but, it will slow down your day a little bit.

I would recommend doing with out it if you can.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Something else to keep in mind. Although alcohol is not carb based when you have vodka, it can (in larger quantities than you can easily metabolize; about 1.5 oz per hour for a woman) interfere with pancreatic enzyme production. It will only interfere with insulin production if you also have a large volume of alcohol which will drop blood sugar lower (hypoglycemia... this leads to the food craving that accompanies alcohol) and if you don't eat your body can produce a "rebound" insulin push which causes low blood sugar with HIGH insulin.. NOT ideal if you are trying to retrain you body to be insulin sensitive and to produce appropriate levels of insulin.

Although we rest the pancreas, it is IMPOSSIBLE to turn it off. We are always producing pancreatic enzymes and hormones. We are just trying to do it at consistent and low levels. Having alcohol in large quantities will definitely mess with that. Having 1 oz... probably not but, it will slow down your day a little bit.

I would recommend doing with out it if you can.

Carla, I have a question that maybe you can answer in regards to alcohol. i'll be turning 30 at the end of march, and a bunch of friends and i are going to las vegas for the weekend. it's a pretty big deal, as even my mom is flying out from florida to be there. i gave up drinking for this diet, but i really want to be able to drink that weekend and enjoy vegas with my friends and family. what should i do?!?!?! would it be better to phase off before that weekend, and then get right back into phase 1 when i get back, or would it be better to stay on phase one the entire weekend but allow vodka drinks? how far back will a weekend of drinking set me? i can deal with a week of no loss in order to celebrate my 30th, but i don't think i could deal with a month of no loss. how concerned about this should i be?
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
Carla, I have a question that maybe you can answer in regards to alcohol. i'll be turning 30 at the end of march, and a bunch of friends and i are going to las vegas for the weekend. it's a pretty big deal, as even my mom is flying out from florida to be there. i gave up drinking for this diet, but i really want to be able to drink that weekend and enjoy vegas with my friends and family. what should i do?!?!?! would it be better to phase off before that weekend, and then get right back into phase 1 when i get back, or would it be better to stay on phase one the entire weekend but allow vodka drinks? how far back will a weekend of drinking set me? i can deal with a week of no loss in order to celebrate my 30th, but i don't think i could deal with a month of no loss. how concerned about this should i be?

FIRST, and I know you know this, but, for others here I need to remind all of us CHEATS are not on protocol. HOWEVER, life happens and people will participate in it. Some coaches will work with special occasions and events. Talk to your coach and find out their stand on matters. That said... here we go.

This is tough. Vegas is full of temptation and having "one drink" is really hard to do for many people. Also, it is a birthday party, you are the guest of honor. THE PRESSURE! I can't imagine people letting you slide on "enjoying" yourself.

Have you asked your coach? If not, do. She/he may have a plan.

I know Darbs just did this for her Vegas trip and things went well. Try a PM to her for advice too!

A weekend of drinking VERY MODERATELY and not adding any carbs or over eating (say eating phase 2), WOULD set you back a week, maybe 2 but unlikely. The key is moderating the drinking and not eating extra food. That is hard too do sometimes.

It is hard to do because, you (as a female) can only clear about 1.5 oz of liquor from your body in an hour. A bartender can over pour on a mixed drink (especially for a bday girl) and you start having cumulative effects.

This is important because as the blood alcohol increases the body produces insulin which depletes existing blood sugar levels (we still create them with fat and protein) and interferes with the body's ability to produce new sugars from fat and protein (gluconeogenesis). And, then you need food, thus, a craving or a crash.

Also, any uncleared alcohol stops the fat loss process until it is removed.

SO, do you think you can enjoy SOME alcohol, well spaced during your evening and not add the extra food? If so, I would go to a phase 2 weekend and jump right back on phase 1 on Monday. Phase 2 will let u have a protein drink (easy a packet and a bottle of water) or a bar or crisp cereal, or RTD vanilla with coffee for breakfast. Then you can eat cautiously for lunch and dinner. The lunch should be a lean veggie protein or a protein drink with a salad and veggies. Dinner should be the same. It gives you more options.

IF you have to cheat use these : some veggies, edamame, cheese, olives, nuts (I remember you are a vegetarian. Are you vegan, pescatarian, ovo/lacto?) Look for things low carb/ higher fat and with protein if possible. DO NOT do a cheese dip, it is often a mix of things with carbs (spinach dip is one of those mistakes). Avoid lettuce wraps there are added carbs in the sauce and veggies and, high sodium. If you do eat chicken or fish: ONLY eat buffalo wings if you ask how they are made (some places pre flour the wings before cooking and others add butter and sugar or honey to the hot sauce) You need them to be prepared flourless, unbreaded and no added sugars... the butter is a problem too but, less so. Shrimp is fine but no cocktail sauce.. just lemon juice.

If I told you don't have the alcohol would you? Would you be able to, given the events already planned? I wouldn't if it were me and if I had that much effort put into it already.

My advice is not on protocol in this case. It is to help you manage the events and be realistic. You are going to go. You are going to be pressured to have fun by your friends/family. You have been planning for sometime to enjoy a significant birthday with special people. It was in motion before you began the plan. You have an opportunity to learn how to enjoy yourself and manage a new lifestyle. It is a little early in the program but, not a first and it won't be your undoing (not for long).

Plan on having portion control.
Plan now, tell everyone NOW, you are drinking less. You want to share with them but, want to be able to get back on track too. Letting them know you are committed and then getting their support will be helpful.

PACE yourself. Don't drink to the point you need to eat. Enjoy the people and not the food or alcohol the most.

TAKE YOUR SEA SALT. I got some little prescription med ziploc bags at the cvs or walgreens. I put salt in there, zip it up and it fits in even the smallest places. I then have my salt while I am out. Make sure you use it instead of table salt. And avoid salty food items to reduce sodium retention.

Prepare what packets you are going to take.
Check out where you are going to be eating (if you know) and plan ahead what to eat.

The alcohol will effect you some but, truthfully, it is the least of your worries. It is a bigger problem because of what it leads to so, control it and prepare for the other pieces. Doing so you should be able to enjoy the trip and get back on track with the least impact and most quickly.

SIDE NOTE: Stay with vodka or any of the hard liquors that have zero carbs... If you need wine go for a dry white or red. learn the general carb counts of these things before you go as it will help you make up your mind and stay on track.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 01-20-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

I am going to add my 2 cents.
Carla's advice is excellent and informative, as always.
If it is a special, VERY special, occasion and just can not do without the drink have vodka and club soda. Does the least damage.

As for routine outtings try some tricks to avoid drinking (IMHO) what works for me........ club soda with lemon and lime it looks like I am having a drink with everyone else. At home i use flavored 0/0/0 fizzy water like cascade ice and I drink it out of a special glass like a wine glass it helps. At least it helps me. I have found that the very times (3 times) that i have had a drink I notice that it affects me differently and I do not feel very well especially the next day and that is after 1 or 2.

It is a personal decision and one that should not be taken lightly or done without educatiing yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide.
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
They are huge.... you might as well not do the diet if you are going to continue to drink them. This really is a diet that you can not cheat on. It's not like other plans where you can cheat and still lose. You have to follow the plan 100%. You must allow your pancreas to rest, if you drink these beverages it does not rest and you are defeating the program. Bring a pina colada packet and mix it up and pour into a glass if you need to have a drink in your hand....
How long does it take the pancreas to reset?
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollmark View Post
How long does it take the pancreas to reset?
Another topic up for debate and controversy!

According to Dr Tran, 90 days. According to my coach at least 45 days depending on how much damage has been done.

WHY? All I can find is the pancreas is an organ the replicates its cells about every 6 weeks. If it keeps being damaged and replicates that, you are increasing the number of unhealthy controls. If you let it rest, start undoing damage, theoretically you change/improve the way it responds simply by allowing it time to heal.

It was hard to find anything strong supporting a reset theory but, you can find a fair amount out there regarding pancreas cell structure, life of cells, healing, and rejuvenation.

That leads me to believe that although you can reset it, you may not fix what caused it to break originally and, in if true "do what you did and you get the same results". So, I see this as a chances to get a second chance with more knowledge.