3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #151
IP start 8/15/13

S/C/G: 244/211/195

Height: 5'7

Things were going well week #1 5lbs, #2 5lbs, weigh in this morning #3 0lbs.
Have been following protocol until Cool Whip and eating chicken w/skin on. Now I know. Back on track though due to 4 in lost this morning. Coach says it's not only lbs but also inches that count.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #152

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/187/160

Height: 5 foot 6

MsKitty - for your sake, I hope that the Cool Whip and chicken skin were not part of the same 'oops' and that they were eaten separately?
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #153

S/C/G: 188/163/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Hi all, this is a flyer that was givin to me in my start up packet. It has really helped me, and I hope it will help one of you reading it that didn't get it when they started. Amy
The Real Costs of Cheating on the Idea Protein Program By Tom Ferguson

I was on the Ideal Program about a year ago. From December 1, 2006 to March 1, 2007 I lost 50+ Lbs. That was pretty amazing, but I could have done better.

How could I have done better? By not cheating, that's how. Oh, I didn't cheat big, but I still cheated. I didn't think it was a big deal, because I was still eating so much better than I did in the past. But I wasn't 100% compliant with the diet, so I was cheating. The thing is, I was only cheating myself.

So, is it ok to cheat? That depends. You have to answer that question for yourself. Before you can answer that question, you have to understand the real costs of cheating.

If you cheat one day on the diet, you might think to yourself, 'I've lost a day on the diet, but that isn't so bad.” Not true. First of all, you lost that day, but you also lost the “momentum” of the progress you made up to that point. If you get back on track immediately, then you will take at least one more day of compliance to get back to where you were before you cheated. It's like climbing a hill on a bicycle. If you stop pedaling for a period of time, you're going to roll backward. You will have lost ground, and it will take an equal period of time, or more, to gain back the ground you lost. So, one day of cheating, will cost you at least two days. In that week, instead of 7 days of progress, you will have only 5. Think about it.

Next, if you cheat a little on the Ideal Program you will still lose weight. That's a good thing, right? Well, yes and no. Yes because your objective is to lose weight, and that's good. But when you cheat, your pancreas has to work overtime again. Remember, weight loss is one of our goals, but equally important is to get our bodies functioning in a healthy state, and a healthy pancreas is essential to that.

From a psychological viewpoint, if you cheat and still make progress, you may think it is ok to cheat since there were no consequences. Next time it will be easier to cheat again, and perhaps you will cheat for two days instead of one. But there are consequences. You didn't make as much progress as you could have.

On the other side of the argument, if you absolutely have to have that one day of cheating as a “reward” or you can't stay on the Ideal Program, well the obvious choice is to cheat.

So, is it ok to cheat? You'll have to make the decision for yourself. Think about it and weigh the consequences. Just remember: when you cheat, you're not cheating anyone but yourself.
I wish I was given this on my first day, this is absolutely amazing and so well written. Love it. It really makes you stop and think; is this really worth it? I was told from day one, "it's not forever, just not now.." - giving up restricted items, is a small price to pay for getting back to health. I can't wait to be healthy!
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #154

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksarben View Post
I cheated HUGE yesterday at work sponsored trip and felt physically sick all night. Cheating is to me really sabotaging. Why do we do this to ourselves? I just read through all the replies on this thread...people faced challenging situations with great success but then the next day when one thinks crisis done they slip. I think the why is at the heart. Have we been so conditioned that food is our reward that even after months of progress we congratulate ourselves with ( insert your thing)?

The stories on this website are inspiring and I look forward to continuing to try to learn to use it better.
I have been on IP since May and I have lost a lot of weight and I just recently cheated about a month ago. I had been on a plateau for a couple weeks, so I thought maybe if I cheated I would shock my body and I would start losing again. Well it worked, I gained six pounds from my cheat weekend and then lost those six and five more the next week. But that week was horrible not feeling good emotionally or physically. So last weekend my friends came into town and wanted to go eat, I thought sticking with crab I would be ok, but of course I cheated. Then I figured I might as well make it worth it and cheated the next day. I felt bloated and like crap after eating. I could tell my body just wasn't happy with me. So I ask myself I know that I am not going to feel good after binging, why do I keep doing it? It is a hard struggle especially when i am so close to my goal.
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #155
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Cassieleeanne,

Have you ever heard of 'the inner sabatouer'? Might be worth exploring (google produces some results). I am still learning to work with mine. They are with us for a reason but sometimes go out of control! We have to understand the enemy!

Annik

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #156

S/C/G: 163/153/134

Height: 5'2"

wow. Thanks for your postings i needed this
yesterday was my birthday and I ate everything I could....including a delicious home made cake that my friend baked for me...
After 6 weeks of good eating and following the rules... i cheated...
ok back on the saddle and eyes on the price...

Also my coach is closing her store..I may need to go on my own... using altrnatives
Will come here often for inspiration.
I am sad... she was good.

In the end, people will judge you anyway, so don't live your life impressing others, live your life impressing yourself !

KRYSTALORCHID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #157
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/134/137

Height: 5'4

WOW, I'm seeing things here that I've notices and struggled with my whole life around food and dieting. I choose IP because I KNOW I need a disciplined approach. I know I'll get tired of being on a 'regime' but I also know I need to turn my head around. This is a LIFESTYLE change, not something I'm going to suffer through for X weeks until I reach my goal. I will always need to be diligent, until the day I die, and I need to decide if it's more important to have the momentary pleasure of a 'cheat' than to stay on track. I started on Sunday, and I tried to eat a lot of brie, chocolate, potato chips, and drink really good wine and champagne since I was starting IP the next day. And I felt like c&*p! Just reading these comments gives me hope that this truly will be the last diet I've ever been on. Thanks for your generous sharing.
ecdcslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #158
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
WOW, I'm seeing things here that I've notices and struggled with my whole life around food and dieting. I choose IP because I KNOW I need a disciplined approach. I know I'll get tired of being on a 'regime' but I also know I need to turn my head around. This is a LIFESTYLE change, not something I'm going to suffer through for X weeks until I reach my goal. I will always need to be diligent, until the day I die, and I need to decide if it's more important to have the momentary pleasure of a 'cheat' than to stay on track. I started on Sunday, and I tried to eat a lot of brie, chocolate, potato chips, and drink really good wine and champagne since I was starting IP the next day. And I felt like c&*p! Just reading these comments gives me hope that this truly will be the last diet I've ever been on. Thanks for your generous sharing.
Here's the deal. If you enter into it with the attitude ,"I know I'll get tired of being on a 'regime,', then I guarantee you will! But 42 lbs can be gone by Christmas if you stick with the 100% on-plan folks
I was so unsure if this plan would work for me. But the rules are really cut & dried. You're either ON the plan or you're NOT.

So you decide what is most important. If it is the food, go eat it and come back to IP when you are miserable enough to stick to plan. (This is a general comment, not just directed at one persin). If loosing the weight is more important than just about anything else, you'll find a way to make it work, NO MATTER WHAT.

We have bunches of people who are cheating. And they complain about the speed of their losses. Imagine that. We really cannot have it all.

I suggest jumping in with both feet. Embrace the plan. Make peace with it and stay on it through EVERYTHING life throws at you. There isn't any excuse to cheat, other than you care about the food more than you care about yourself. I loved something Scorbett used to say: who is in charge? You or the food? IP puts us back in charge. If you shortchange the program, the only person you're short changing is yourself.

Work on an attitude of what you are GAINING, rather than what you are giving up. You'll be at goal in no time!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #159
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Here's the deal. If you enter into it with the attitude ,"I know I'll get tired of being on a 'regime,', then I guarantee you will! But 42 lbs can be gone by Christmas if you stick with the 100% on-plan folks
I was so unsure if this plan would work for me. But the rules are really cut & dried. You're either ON the plan or you're NOT.

So you decide what is most important. If it is the food, go eat it and come back to IP when you are miserable enough to stick to plan. (This is a general comment, not just directed at one persin). If loosing the weight is more important than just about anything else, you'll find a way to make it work, NO MATTER WHAT.

We have bunches of people who are cheating. And they complain about the speed of their losses. Imagine that. We really cannot have it all.

I suggest jumping in with both feet. Embrace the plan. Make peace with it and stay on it through EVERYTHING life throws at you. There isn't any excuse to cheat, other than you care about the food more than you care about yourself. I loved something Scorbett used to say: who is in charge? You or the food? IP puts us back in charge. If you shortchange the program, the only person you're short changing is yourself.

Work on an attitude of what you are GAINING, rather than what you are giving up. You'll be at goal in no time!
I've got nothing to say except "I love this and will keep these words in my head when it gets hard " thank you. That truly is exceptional.

Goals:
261 - Lowest Adult Weight
246 - 100 lbs Lost
202 - No Longer Obese
169 - Normal Body Weight
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #160

S/C/G: 282/157/170

Height: 5.6

Thanks for posting and starting a great chat. The day I stared IP, 11 days ago, I was surprised at how strict. I thought a lot about the no cheating rule and realized I've cheated on not only every diet I've been on but in many aspects of life ( excluding my marriage).
Everyday I focus and look toward the next meal and not too much beyond and that helps me be successful. I also do a lot of self talk about not being a cheater. I haven't been perfect but the slips have been small and I am feeling good about becoming more mindful.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #161

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/187/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Thanks for posting and starting a great chat. The day I stared IP, 11 days ago, I was surprised at how strict. I thought a lot about the no cheating rule and realized I've cheated on not only every diet I've been on but in many aspects of life ( excluding my marriage).
Everyday I focus and look toward the next meal and not too much beyond and that helps me be successful. I also do a lot of self talk about not being a cheater. I haven't been perfect but the slips have been small and I am feeling good about becoming more mindful.
Mindful is a good word - we need to just pause a second when tempted/tired/angry/depressed/rushed and think.

How many times in our lives have we responded to those feelings by eating, not even tasting what we are shoving into our faces? The food NEVER makes it feel better for more than a few seconds.

Then we can add guilt/remorse/anger to whatever we are feeling.

This program is very clear on what is OK and what is not. We need to conquer the thought that our emotions and food go hand in hand uncontrolled.

We are in control of it and the IP program supports that. Being 100% gives you are record of which you can be proud. It makes it harder to allow the thought of 'of, this little cheat won't hurt'. It will EMOTIONALLY even if the calories or whatever do not mess up your weight. It will mess with your mind so just don't go down that road.

If you are having some of those negative feelings, read this board. Go back and read old entries. Read of the struggles and successes of those who post here. There is a huge group of people here to support through those tough spots. Use them as a resource - no one is alone on this journey.

schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #162
Gaining by Loosing

S/C/G: 202/201/160

Height: 5'4

Great reading this morning and some truly inspirational words, thanks ladies for sharing from the heart.

I like coming here in the mornings to be inspired and find little 'pearls of wisdom' to carry me through.

IP or BUST!
misslillyhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #163

S/C/G: 242/231/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Glad I read this today! I had a rough weekend and need a boot to get me going!
HawkHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #164
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Lisa,

'Make peace with the plan.'

Thank you for this. It really resonates.

You have been an inspiration to me. I really appreciate your no nonsense, no playing games style and pragmatic approach.

I credit a lot of my success to the wisdom I've seen you share since I joined here in mid-May 2013. So, so, so relieved to have a good chunk of weight loss behind me. So, so, so happy that I stuck to plan. I realise that at this moment in time, any short term eating pleasures I might have chosen to fall prey to during this past summer would now long be forgotten. I have no regrets about having left any food festivities behind. The work that's gone into this doesn't seem like it has been so bad.

I was explaining to someone today why I would never go back to Weight Watchers which I have done several times previously. Though I respect the plan, i see that it is like taking horse and wagon to get to a destination. IP on the other hand -- having stuck to it -- has been like the bullet train. Hard work at times but so worth the effort.

I have my health back. Thanks be to God! Thanks be to hard work. Thanks be to wisdom so generously shared by you and many others!

Annik

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 10-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #165
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

I totally agree about weight watchers. I have tried it a few times, and yes I lost the weight but....it was way too easy to cheat. IP is tough but holy cow...it works!

One for each 5 lbs
Maxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.