Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #1  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default I'm back *sigh*

I was on IP from May 18 2010 until right around Halloween, without any real slip-ups. Then I started slipping... but still keeping to it mostly. Managed to lose 100 pounds by Dec 18th... but then kind of fell away from it, and through the holidays? Gained like 15 pounds from my lowest.

So I'm back, at 173 today. I want to lose to 155 if possible.

My clinician (a chiro) said that I needed to "wrap up the diet completely" or I would "regain all the weight". He said I need to reset my pancreas, and recommended 2 days (right *days*) on Phase 1, 2 days on Phase 2, and then 2 solid weeks of Phase 3.

I don't see how simply doing 4 days of a ketogenic diet will "reset" anything, if I've been carb binging for a few weeks. It makes more sense to me to do at least 1 week, if not 2, at each level, if this "pancreas reset" thing is real.

Although I don't believe the pancreas has a "reset" button. I think I lost weight because I ate low calories, low carbs, low fat, and exercised. And this may seem sacreligious, but based on my medical research...

Does anyone have any info? I mean, about the "if you don't do 2 solid weeks of Phase 3, you will have the same issues you did before"? And why?

Thanks, and I'll be seeing you all around here for the next 1-2 months or so!
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
I was on IP from May 18 2010 until right around Halloween, without any real slip-ups. Then I started slipping... but still keeping to it mostly. Managed to lose 100 pounds by Dec 18th... but then kind of fell away from it, and through the holidays? Gained like 15 pounds from my lowest.

My clinician (a chiro) said that I needed to "wrap up the diet completely" or I would "regain all the weight". He said I need to reset my pancreas, and recommended 2 days (right *days*) on Phase 1, 2 days on Phase 2, and then 2 solid weeks of Phase 3.

I don't see how simply doing 4 days of a ketogenic diet will "reset" anything, if I've been carb binging for a few weeks. It makes more sense to me to do at least 1 week, if not 2, at each level, if this "pancreas reset" thing is real.

Although I don't believe the pancreas has a "reset" button. I think I lost weight because I ate low calories, low carbs, low fat, and exercised. And this may seem sacreligious, but based on my medical research...

Does anyone have any info? I mean, about the "if you don't do 2 solid weeks of Phase 3, you will have the same issues you did before"? And why?

Welcome back (though you probably don't really want to be here ).
I am certainly no expert - need Carla, Linden or I'm svelting for that - but the short duration on each phase seems a bit weird to me to. Especially since they say it take about 3 days to get into ketosis in the the first place.

I don't know about the 'reset' button either, but I do believe in giving the pancreas a rest after it's spent so much time working double time. No question either about the other health benefits that come from following the program.

Keep the faith!
kaarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #3  

Quote:
... through the holidays? Gained like 15 pounds from my lowest.

Nice to see you ... sorry about the reason.

for taking action to stop the weight gain in its tracks!

Can you look at this as a learning experience? What would you do differently? What will you do differently when the next food-filled event rolls around?

Did you do the full 2 weeks on Phase 3 as it is written? I'm not sure about pancreas resetting; no-one other than Chanh seems to talk about it. A gradual re-introduction of higher carbohydrates seems sensible to me. I actually worked up to the "prescribed" levels of carbs in Phase 3. I don't think I ever hit the recommended breakfast levels because I was eating a casserole of sweet potatoes and onions rather than bread, cereal or rice.

I agree with you about why the diet works ... reduced calories, reduced fat. The low carbs + sufficient protein makes it easier to be program-compliant because you don't get as hungry or stimulate carb-cravings. I can't explain the metabolic math your clinic is using. If you do the IP phases again, what makes sense to you? Would you feel better about being on Phases 1 & 2 for a few weeks to drop the weight?

You wrote about the pull that the sweets have for you. Getting out my ...
How much wheat and other grains were you having? I've found that having grains decreases my ability to say no to sweet stuff or to have only one. Plank two of the soap box ... How much fat were you having? When I eat enough fat (including fatty meats, butter and cream), I feel much more satisfied and am much less likely to carbo-binge. If you don't want to play around with the (not-so-)evil saturated fats, you could supplement with high-quality fish oils, and/or eat fatty fish (wild salmon, sardines, etc.)

In some ways it's unfortunate that science has an incomplete picture of the mysteries of the human body. We really are participating in a big experiment and each of us has to pay attention to our bodies to find the right health-supporting combinations for his/herself.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 01-04-2011 at 07:56 AM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #4  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

good to see you back....I remember from our conversations that you have struggled for a long time with drastic good or bad.

here is my opinion. First forgive yourself and remember that life is about mistakes that we are intended to learn from and treat this as such. Jump off the all or nothing train. Focus on retraining your mind forever.

I would take two weeks on phase one to consider how you will make changes forever. Then phase off properly and focus on maintaining your hard good work.

No regrets no worries just moving forward as we cannot change the past...unless of course you invented a time machine and then I would go back and play the Powerball if I was you...then you can just hire a full-time trainer, chef, and plastic surgeon!!!
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #5  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

I don't see how simply doing 4 days of a ketogenic diet will "reset" anything, if I've been carb binging for a few weeks.
Thanks Kaarin for the vote of confidence. On the strength of that I'm going to offer my best and most profound advice: Sgorny, I think you're coach is a drip. I've always read your posts and think you are one of the most sensible people here; AND successful. You know what works for you even though you let poor judgment override it. Personally, I'd stay in Phase 1 until you lose the weight you need to, then gently move through 2 and 3, and this time stick with four. You're worth it. Cheers and clear sailing.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #6  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Linden - you are so right - her coach is a "drip". Why would you not go back on IP like you have never been on it before. Start with Phase one just like you did the first time, when you get to your desired weight, move to the next step. It works that way - why would we want to change it?
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

my two cents:

I too am just going through the same thing. I was eating healthily, exercising and even though I would have carbs all time, I had it in "check"...ie did NOT gain a pound but was steady from august till just about a few weeks ago. being a sick, traveling (for fun) and xmas cookies have set me back 6 pounds. I DID not seek the advice of any coach as I just don't have the time for it AND I know I can do it myself. My plan is to do phase 1 starting tomorrow until I have lost 6 pounds plus and go from there. I say plus because I want to be on phase 1 for atleast 2 weeks.

we'll see how it goes.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #8  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

I'm with you, sister! I did the same thing -- went off for Christmastime, gained 12 pounds (YIKES!) and am back on today. I'm doing strictly alternative products so I'm not bothering with my coach. I WAS five pounds from my final goal when I decided that I needed a break, and began to eat everything I wanted.

My plan was to get it out of my system, start back with Phase I on 01/03/11, and then phase off properly. So far, I'm right on track!
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #9  

Quote:

You should read the articles by a Diane Kress -Google her. She has done a lot of research on re-setting the pancreas. This diet is very similar to hers without the pre-packaged food. You do need to re-set the pancreas from putting out too much insulin and then slowly add in carbs.
Aloha1430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1430 View Post
You should read the articles by a Diane Kress -Google her. She has done a lot of research on re-setting the pancreas. This diet is very similar to hers without the pre-packaged food. You do need to re-set the pancreas from putting out too much insulin and then slowly add in carbs.
Aloha, her stuff looks interesting and the whole foods approach sounds great. About the biological process and her research -- she's a Registered Dietitian with an active practice and, now a published author. She probably doesn't have a lot of time to do clinical research studies. A quick google of "reset pancreas" yields this thread (!) and commercial enterprises e.g. Ideal Protein clinics, Diane Kress's book. I'll wait until credible scientists have studied and documented pancreas reset before I believe.

None of which means that there isn't tremendous benefit to reducing one's carbohydrate intake and avoiding the blood sugar spikes and insulin rushes, as we all know.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 01-04-2011 at 08:47 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #11  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I am starting Phase 1 again until I reach my goal again and then Phasing off like I did the first time. I have been on Phase 1 for 4 days now and it took a full 2 days to get into Ketosis, so your coach seems a little off....

I gained 2 lbs over Christmas and am very happy with that, plus the day I weighed was the day my TOM started, so who knows if that was really a true reading. My fat % was actually less.

I'm truly so excited that this program works and I know how to get back on plan and lose those 2 lbs before I gain back 45. I can do this for a lifetime!!! Normally I wouldn't have even weighed after Christmas, but New Years Day I jumped on that scale and that is what is going to save me!
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/152/125

Height: 5'2

I'm back on board too! I lost 20 pounds, then had two months of vacations, family visits, holidays, any plenty of excuses of be off IP. I've gained 8 lbs back of the 20 I lost, so I am trying to re-focus and get back on track. I have about 25 lbs to lose to get to my goal. I'm on day three. It's tough but I know this plan works, so I'm going to stick with it.
navy mom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #13  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Nice to see you ... sorry about the reason.

for taking action to stop the weight gain in its tracks!

Can you look at this as a learning experience? What would you do differently? What will you do differently when the next food-filled event rolls around?

Did you do the full 2 weeks on Phase 3 as it is written? I'm not sure about pancreas resetting; no-one other than Chanh seems to talk about it. A gradual re-introduction of higher carbohydrates seems sensible to me. I actually worked up to the "prescribed" levels of carbs in Phase 3. I don't think I ever hit the recommended breakfast levels because I was eating a casserole of sweet potatoes and onions rather than bread, cereal or rice.

I agree with you about why the diet works ... reduced calories, reduced fat. The low carbs + sufficient protein makes it easier to be program-compliant because you don't get as hungry or stimulate carb-cravings. I can't explain the metabolic math your clinic is using. If you do the IP phases again, what makes sense to you? Would you feel better about being on Phases 1 & 2 for a few weeks to drop the weight?

You wrote about the pull that the sweets have for you. Getting out my ...
How much wheat and other grains were you having? I've found that having grains decreases my ability to say no to sweet stuff or to have only one. Plank two of the soap box ... How much fat were you having? When I eat enough fat (including fatty meats, butter and cream), I feel much more satisfied and am much less likely to carbo-binge. If you don't want to play around with the (not-so-)evil saturated fats, you could supplement with high-quality fish oils, and/or eat fatty fish (wild salmon, sardines, etc.)

In some ways it's unfortunate that science has an incomplete picture of the mysteries of the human body. We really are participating in a big experiment and each of us has to pay attention to our bodies to find the right health-supporting combinations for his/herself.
I think I will stay on Phase 1 for at least 2 weeks, then at least 1 week of Phase 2, then Phase 3 for 2 weeks or more. I want to be sure to expose myself to eating carbs more sensibly - because I seem to be the all or nothing.

And to answer your question - I was eating more grains, and probably not enough fat (coupled with a bit of exercise). Unfortunately, I also "reset" myself by indulging in alcohol over the holidays, which turns my superego off and lets the Id play. Most of it became late night carbo binges after cutting back too much in the AM because I felt full and gross from the night before.

So I'm hoping to get back on track. On Day 2 now, so far, so good.

And I agree about the carb reduction to smooth blood sugar & insulin spikes. Mine was really bouncing around and going up erratically - not to "diabetic" levels, but definitely borderline - and since I've been back on, I've been about 87.

So the diet didn't "cure" my blood sugar issues, but I guess that means that instead of using the carrot approach ("it's fun to look good, & the clothes!"), it will be the stick ("if you eat that stuff, you will become diabetic"). Much bigger stick...

Last edited by sgorny; 01-04-2011 at 11:52 PM.
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote