IP Daily Chat Wednesday December 15, 2010

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: WI today and I lost 6.

I am now 4 away from my goal and I am just thrilled!!!

Not sure, but I might continue on past my goal and try to lose another 10!!!!

Congrats to all out there on their success! Keep it going and don't give it --- this plan works!!!!

L
    Congratulations!!!
  • Quote: Ok I did a bad bad thing and someone needs to give me heck. Over the weekend I discovered what taking too much magnesium does to the body. And then yesterday I ate too much steak (new bbq sauce tasted really good) and then purposely took extra pills. I think that can not be healthy. My bad. :-(
    REALLY!! WHAT THE .... WERE YOU THINKING! DEFINITELY, DO NOT, do that again! That you just wanted to punish yourself? That you wanted to hurt your body a little bit more? Wasn't it bad enough that you didn't treat yourself right the first time, you just wanted to prolong the agony?
    SERIOUSLY!! (how's that for heck???)

NOW, in all seriousness. PLEASE, DON'T EVER, EVER do that again.

The first part was in jest but, this, is important.

Magnesium is not something to mess with. It will cause vomiting and diarrhea if you are overdoing it i.e. overdosing and beyond your tolerance. AND, it puts increased strain on your kidneys which is what we are trying to avoid. This diet could be hard enough on the diet. We don't want the liver trying to help out the kidneys because, when the liver helps the kidneys you stop losing weight as quickly.

Do you know what else it can do?
    It can cause dizziness, slowed breathing, cardiac arrythmia, heart attack, coma and death. Yes, those are more rare symptoms but, they are real and you need to be aware you are increasing your risk by intentionally overdosing.

Calcium and Magnesium work together as the on and off switches for the heart. You really shouldn't be intentionally upsetting your balance.

"Too much magnesium can cause serious health problems, including nausea, vomiting, severely lowered blood pressure, slowed heart rate, deficiencies of other minerals, confusion, coma, and even death.

More common side effects from magnesium include upset stomach and diarrhea.

Magnesium competes with calcium for absorption and can cause a calcium deficiency if calcium levels are already low."
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/magnesium-000313.htm
    http://www.overdosesymptoms.com/magn..._overdose.html

As Mrs. Dietrich said, I am glad you told us, but DON'T YOU DO THAT AGAIN!

Quote: Never mind, I just googled it.

And now for the heck... I don't want to come across as sounding too harsh, but DON'T DO THAT AGAIN! It seems to me that by willfully doing it once you realized what excess pills will do, you're setting yourself up on a dangerous cycle. Too much steak isn't a huge deal (it's mainly protein after all). But you don't want to start thinking in your head that it's okay to throw up, or take extra magnesium or other laxatives because you screwed up. I think that a lot of this diet is about getting our heads on straight about our relationship with food and our bodies.

When I was sick with a bad gall bladder, I used to throw up everything that I ate because I just couldn't keep it down. Even after my gallbladder was taken out, I still had those automatic reactions to food because it had become so ingrained in my head and gag reflex. It's been 4 years since then and up until I started this program, I was still throwing up several meals a week. Whenever I felt overfull or my tummy just felt odd, I'd throw up. I haven't thrown up since I started this program, but when I was on my "off weekend" last weekend, after dinner, my tummy was feeling odd and I wanted to go throw up (plus I was feeling guilty). I tried to throw up, but I just couldn't. I realized that my head had finally accepted that this wasn't the way to deal with things and that since I ate it, I should just accept it and move on. I take this to mean that my head is starting to heal too.

So, I'm glad you told us, but please don't do it again!
    I am glad you are starting to use food without the old habits controlling you. I wasn't ever one to eat and purge (voluntarily or otherwise). I was a non-eater. I tended to eat as little as I could and still FEEL like I hadn't become an anorexic. I only succeeded at keeping my metabolism messed up and my body unhealthy and gaining fat and losing muscle as I tried to crash diet.

Several of us here have mentioned past eating disorder issues. We seem to be quite the group to offer support if those things are trying to resurface!

TO EVERYONE who commented on my Dr. Report. Thanks! I am very happy. I have had a thyroid that was showing low and declining function since 1991 so, this was a big deal for me.

For those wondering about when I will start to coach. I am trying to do so now. I have someone that is willing to allow me to work with their center.

I am still trying to find a doctor who is interested, willing, and has the space for me to offer this program in conjunction with their office. It is much more difficult than it sounds. It wasn't always that way. Many people, salon owners, individuals, even insurance industry people, were allowed to offer the program and out of their houses, salons, or offices. In the past years or 15 months, that has changed and you are required to be affiliated to a doctor's office and that means they have to have space.

I am still working at that goal. So, send prayers and wish me luck! Thanks for all the positive feedback. You all are GREAT!
  • for all the wonderful weight loses, NSVs & and to those who entered Onderland today!!! WOW!!! just reading these posts are so inspiring

Carla, what a great DR.s report....so great that your health has improved!!! It is really fantastic that IP has done so much for you and so many others (including me).
    I went out for lunch today with 2 friends that were my room-mates when we were 18-19 yrs old (41 yrs. ago). It was so wonderful to be able to enjoy a nice salad and not have to worry about running to the bathroom because the dreaded IBS was shaking it's dirty little head!!! Too be able to go shopping, out for an evening with friends and especially eating out has been something that I have not been comfortable doing for over 25 yrs!!! And NOW I CAN!!

Ideal Protein is absolutely amazing!!!
  • To Carla and Mrs Diettrich, you are absolutely right. As soon as I read the posts the pills went in the garbage. My coach originally told me to take them if I didn't take the extra ccal/mag supplements so I did without knowing why. I just thought they would be good for me. Of course that was before I figured it out what they did and then actually abused them yesterday. If anything I hope some reading this learns from my poor judgement. Again thank you I needed the kick in the behind.
  • Carla....you are fantastic and would run such an awesome clinic!!! I am praying that you find a Dr. that will work with you very soon.
    P.S. We will be down in your area of the world by the end of 2010!!! Can' wait for the sunshine and warmth!!!
  • Quote: I am glad you are starting to use food without the old habits controlling you. I wasn't ever one to eat and purge (voluntarily or otherwise). I was a non-eater. I tended to eat as little as I could and still FEEL like I hadn't become an anorexic. I only succeeded at keeping my metabolism messed up and my body unhealthy and gaining fat and losing muscle as I tried to crash diet.

Several of us here have mentioned past eating disorder issues. We seem to be quite the group to offer support if those things are trying to resurface!
    I used to refer to myself as an unwilling bulemic! I would never go into things with the intention of overeating and then purging, but if I felt icky afterwards, up it came... Last Friday night was the first time I couldn't make myself throw up just from thinking about it.
  • Quote: To Carla and Mrs Diettrich, you are absolutely right. As soon as I read the posts the pills went in the garbage. My coach originally told me to take them if I didn't take the extra ccal/mag supplements so I did without knowing why. I just thought they would be good for me. Of course that was before I figured it out what they did and then actually abused them yesterday. If anything I hope some reading this learns from my poor judgement. Again thank you I needed the kick in the behind.
    Good girl. We all need a little butt-kicking now and then. Mine was about 5 1/2 weeks ago.
  • Quote: Great job all on your WI's and NSV's, and Doctor update (Carla!!)
    I came to realize a few weeks ago watching the Biggest loser is that this was the first time in 10 seasons of watching it, I was acutally loosing right along with them. What a great feeling knowing that I don't watch it anymore eating ice cream, cookies, chips, or any bad food saying "I wish I could loose weight." (how embarrassing admitting that I did that) I was very happy with the outcome also.
    Last night we celebrated my son's 3rd birthday. We made a cake, and I made my choc. muffin with caramel sauce on it so I didn't feel left out. It is a good way to feel like you're getting that chocolate fix in.
    I told someone yesterday that I was on Ip and what I eat and drink, I said I drink about a gallon of water a day and they said not to get over hydrated and if I feel dizzy or light headed drink a gatorade. I just said, "ok, thanks" and dropped it. I didn't want to get into 'gatorade has a lot of sugar and I'm not supposed to have sugar' conversation. I can't remember who said it, but you're right, (I think it was Ladyvrod) no one says anything about the food that was killing us, they want to tell us to do something different now that we're getting healthy. Weird.
    Have a great night all.
    I thought that I was the only one who sat with a 1/2 gallon of ice cream watching the Biggest Loser! Not anymore, though.
    Great substitution choices!
    I was wondering, too, why everyone gets so worked up telling me that my program is not healthy when I started it.
    Losing a chunk of weight sure makes them think!
  • Quote: WI today and I lost 6.

I am now 4 away from my goal and I am just thrilled!!!

Not sure, but I might continue on past my goal and try to lose another 10!!!!

Congrats to all out there on their success! Keep it going and don't give it --- this plan works!!!!

L

Congratulations! You know now that you can do it if you want to. How's that for liberating?
  • Thank you everyone for all your comments, thoughts, progress and challenges. If I am feeling a little off and wanting to veer off the IP path reading from this forum helps me refocus and remind me why I am here in the first place! I appreciate the inspiration!
  • Quote: And when she does, you can keep her supplied with new, great recipes.
    Thanks Linden Just trying to give back when I find something I made is tasty. I love reading everyone's recipes!
  • Carla:: that is amazing lab results!!! Hooray!!!

I just think... If I can hold on, my blood pressure will go back to normal too.

You know when I first started the Nursing program, lab partners were eachothers patients. So we'd do BPs, bmi, landmarking, assessments (breast exam, cardiac, integumentary, Neuro, etc). It was so embarrassing for me as an obese person. They couldn't even get my BP. Couldnt find landmarks. And now I'm trying to change that. Plus, I need to be a better role model for my patients. Who wants an obese nurse telling them about the risks of being overweight? Or the benefits of avoiding certain foods? Ya... Ironic. So this is not only for me and my health but my profession too. & I'd eventually like to be a nurse practitioner so I gotta get myself healthy.
  • Quote: I added a new pic to my progress pics.....it's starting to look like progress to me!
    Lookin Good!!
  • Thank you to everyone who commented on my pics. I'm proud of what I have accomplished so far.

A lot of great successes today, whether they were sv, nsv, medical or self-awareness. Many people have something to be very proud of!

Happy dances for all!!!
  • Carla...amazing Dr. report! Congrats.

MamaDancer, you look TERRIFIC! Congrats on the 55 pounds.

Linden: When do you leave for Germany?

So, I'm sick as can be today...couldn't even make it into work. Bleh. Badk to bed.