3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Anyone on the Alternative Protocol? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/219238-anyone-alternative-protocol.html)

hawndragon 12-08-2010 03:33 PM

Anyone on the Alternative Protocol?

This is my second day in the first week on the Alternative Protocol. I needed to start slowly because I am a diabetic and on coumadin and my Dr wanted more control on my blood levels. So far so good.
The diabetic part is not a big concern but my INR levels are. I have a blood disorder (Protein S deficiency) and have to be careful that I don't fall too low as my blood will clot and it is very dangerous if I fall out of therapeutic levels. I am doing my best to go slow at first and monitor levels weekly to keep me safe.
I believe I will be just fine and I need to lose this weight for my better health. I am 58 years young, 5'6" and 271 pounds. Been overweight the last 29 years but this last year gained 20 pounds and I am really feeling it.
I'm looking for some support with the Alternative Plan but know I will also find it with those on the regular protocol. We are all heading in the same direction eh?
Thank you for all of the wonderful weight loss stories, encouragement and inspiration I have found so far. I am really excited by all of the results and learning about how to be creative with recipes and ideas.

EatAnts 12-08-2010 05:07 PM

Hi! I left you a reply on today's daily chat

Quote:

Originally Posted by EatAnts (Post 3600555)
Welcome, Pat (hawndragon)! My boyfriend did the alternative protocol most of the time he was on the plan for all 3 phases (it is a given in phase 4). As a man, he will lose fat more rapidly than any female. He still had large losses every week. When I lost 2 lb on the normal protocol , he would lose 4-5 on the alternative. He chose the alternative so that he could continue working out and playing sports without stalling his weightloss by over doing it. He was really happy with his choice. Please let me know if you have any questions about the official IP alternative protocol. He lost 50 lb in the same time I lost my first 30. Good luck.

Please let me know if you have questions with the alternative protocol. I have collected all the info I could find to help out my Bf and keep him on track. Good luck and I'm glad you are off to a good day 2. Now on to many more!

hawndragon 12-08-2010 09:54 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EatAnts (Post 3600646)
Hi! I left you a reply on today's daily chat

Please let me know if you have questions with the alternative protocol. I have collected all the info I could find to help out my Bf and keep him on track. Good luck and I'm glad you are off to a good day 2. Now on to many more!

Thanks so much for replying. This leaves me very hopeful. I have chosen not to include the fruits daily, which is an option. I do have s/F yogurt for one choice in the am then do a grain with dinner in the pm. So far so good. I haven't jumped on a scale and won't for the first week. I feel good and am not starving at all. I like that! Will let you know what the scale shows on Monday. Thanks again!

EatAnts 12-09-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawndragon (Post 3600991)
Thanks so much for replying. This leaves me very hopeful. I have chosen not to include the fruits daily, which is an option. I do have s/F yogurt for one choice in the am then do a grain with dinner in the pm. So far so good. I haven't jumped on a scale and won't for the first week. I feel good and am not starving at all. I like that! Will let you know what the scale shows on Monday. Thanks again!

Keep us posted on your progress. I'll look out for your posts in the daily forum.

sophiedoodle 02-02-2013 02:01 PM

AP Wannabe

Hi I googled, found 3 Fat Chicks and your thread, so I just joined...I am a Type 1 diabetic and am having such a hard time losing weight... I have gone on WW diet in the past ...and lost weight BUT the cost to me (loss of my diabetic control) is too high. I would just like to talk to someone who understands. This morning I just learned about the Alternate Protocol ...I have previously asked a clinic that does the Ideal Protein Weight Loss but they told me they would not take me because I am Type 1...I am open to anyone's suggestions. Hope I hear back from you!!

Nolawhodatchick 02-02-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiedoodle (Post 4618607)
Hi I googled, found 3 Fat Chicks and your thread, so I just joined...I am a Type 1 diabetic and am having such a hard time losing weight... I have gone on WW diet in the past ...and lost weight BUT the cost to me (loss of my diabetic control) is too high. I would just like to talk to someone who understands. This morning I just learned about the Alternate Protocol ...I have previously asked a clinic that does the Ideal Protein Weight Loss but they told me they would not take me because I am Type 1...I am open to anyone's suggestions. Hope I hear back from you!!

If you notice, the last post before yours on this thread was 2 years ago. I've had very little luck finding others on the alternative protocol. I just recently switched to it due to hypolgycemia. I think there may be one person on the alternative protocol that I'm aware of, plus he's been on the diet a long time, so I'm going to see if I can get him to chime in.

sophiedoodle 02-02-2013 05:20 PM

Thanks

Wow thanks, my bad... i am terribly new to this stuff... so my partner was just diagnosed as hypoglycemic and it certainly is simliar to my diabetic episodes... how are you doing?

Nolawhodatchick 02-02-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiedoodle (Post 4618822)
Wow thanks, my bad... i am terribly new to this stuff... so my partner was just diagnosed as hypoglycemic and it certainly is simliar to my diabetic episodes... how are you doing?

I am doing much better with the alternative protocol. I was having energy problems big-time with the normal IP protocol. I am losing about the same amount of weight on the alternative protocol as far as I can tell. It's only been 2 weeks since I switched, though. But I have more energy and feel better on the alternative protocol. I did the normal protocol for 16 weeks and never felt quite right on it physically. I think if I had it to do over again, I'd start with the alternative protocol.

The real test for me will be when I go off IP into maintenance and see what happens to my blood sugar then. I was in a crazy carb-addiction blood-sugar crashing cycle before IP. I think if I do maintenance as recommended by IP, I will have broken that cycle and will be able to get a true grip on my hypoglycemia as IP maintenance is all geared towards normalizing your insulin and blood sugar.

Flutterby26 02-02-2013 06:06 PM

Hi, all. I am an IP - and 3 Fat Chicks - newbie. I am excited to hear that there may be an Alternative Protocol available!

My mom has been following my IP progress closely and I think she would be open to trying. But cost issues aside, she has diabetes and I have had my doubts as to whether the program would be safe for her. Obviously, she's got to be working with her doctor, but I did wonder.

I will have to ask my coach if our location offers the Alternative Protocol at my next weigh in. :carrot:

Nolawhodatchick 02-02-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutterby26 (Post 4618864)
Hi, all. I am an IP - and 3 Fat Chicks - newbie. I am excited to hear that there may be an Alternative Protocol available!

My mom has been following my IP progress closely and I think she would be open to trying. But cost issues aside, she has diabetes and I have had my doubts as to whether the program would be safe for her. Obviously, she's got to be working with her doctor, but I did wonder.

I will have to ask my coach if our location offers the Alternative Protocol at my next weigh in. :carrot:

I would be surprised if they don't, as it is very similar to the regular protocol except that you are allowed 3 additional food items with carbs, one at each meal, to prevent you from going into ketosis. The alternative gives a list of the carb items that are allowed and related rules. If you look on the sticky about the phases of ideal protein, I believe you will find the alternative protocol phase 1 sheet.

Flutterby26 02-02-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info, Nola! I'll have to check it out!

gingereney 02-04-2013 09:58 PM

Hello im looking to possibly do the alternative to the ideal protein can someone help me to get started?

prettygirlusaf 04-30-2013 10:40 AM

Had a hard time finding this tread. I kept finding ones that were using alternative products. FOr those looking there is a PDF you can download just by googling ideal protein alternative plan. It is the same as the one my coach gave me. I am starting IP again tomorrow, I went off for a year and really only gained a little, but right in the middle!! I can't wait to lose that belly flab again and feel smaller!! I will be doing the Alternative plan because I have started working out more and don't want to lose that momentum and motivation. Anyone have any good stats on how much they have lost doing the ALT plan? I hope I will lose as I did before.
Have a great day!!

Suchawittygal 04-30-2013 12:13 PM

My husband is a Type 1 Diabetic and doing the Alternative IP Protocol with Alternative Products..so he's DOUBLY Alternative. He lost 24 lbs the first 5 weeks he was on, but has stalled in the past 3 weeks, HOWEVER, I measure him and he is losing inches (so it's really NOT considered a "Stall"). He follows the Alternative Protocol sheet I downloaded for him off the sticky and is sticking to it. He does a drink with two pieces of whole grain toast in the morning, a packet, two cups of veggies, and some LF yogurt at lunch then his protein and veggies at dinner (he doesn't do another member from the third group for dinner), then he'll have some apple cinnamon soy puffs for snack at night.

My Mom is getting ready start the Alternative Protocol also. I'll let you know how that goes.

Good luck to you! If you have any questions, I'll answer them as best I can!

tallgirl231 04-30-2013 01:47 PM

I began mid feb doing alternative protocol and products and I'm down 25 lbs. I'm actually phasing off of metformin. I was diagnosed with type 2 3 years ago and finally made the commitment to myself to get healthy at 52 years old. Better late than never I guess. :)

prettygirlusaf 05-01-2013 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. So far today has been fine. I only added a banana to my shake this a.m. and blended it up good and then had 1 slice of dry sprouted grain toast with my salad and chicken soup packet for lunch. I plan on doing a egg white frittata with feta and spinach for dinner. I am not a meat eater really so that is why I got tired of the program before. I just could not stomach anymore meat. I also cannot have much soy so I stick with the shakes for the most part. I am about an hour from a center now so I order the shakes from New Lifestyles Diet online and get the exact pre-made chocolate shakes (in different packaging of course) for a lot cheaper. I would love to hear updates on how you and your loved ones who are doing this are doing.

mylastdietever 05-05-2013 12:14 PM

hi Prettygirl, I am on the Ip alternative program with ip products. This is my second time around with the ip diet. First time I joined 2 years ago through a chiro's office and they were not helpful at all- I think they were in it for the $$$ and certainly not for the health of their patients. but I did manage to loose 55 lbs. with the support of 3fat chicks and family. the "coach" was a male who had lost about 10 pounds on ip (a requirement by IP to have been on the diet and no clue about the emotional and support part for clients struggle with years of weight issues. every time i weighed in, even though i lost - his comments and his business like attitude made be feel awful about myself, like the only reason i was fat was because i couldn't control myself- jerk. I am type 2 diabetic and they put me on the regular program. Needless to say I had lots of issues with low blood pressure, very cranky and low blood sugar levels and almost listless all the time. My doctor didn't like that I was on ip and would not support it or adjust my metformin or work with me on it. I got so frustrated with the lack of support that I quit and gained 30 pounds back. In March I rejoined at a different clinic supervised by an actual medical doctor and he put me on the alternative program and is monitoring my blood sugars regularly. he has already adjusted my dosage and says if I continue I will be off it completely in another 6 weeks. I will then switch to to the regular program. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but wanted to let you know that the alternative program is meant for diabetes but you need good medical support. Stick with it and shop around for a good coach and doctor to support your journey as it makes a huge difference. I am still losing 2 to 4 pounds a week and 5th week in I lost 6.5- all the best in your journey.

prettygirlusaf 05-06-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylastdietever (Post 4730953)
hi Prettygirl, I am on the Ip alternative program with ip products. This is my second time around with the ip diet. First time I joined 2 years ago through a chiro's office and they were not helpful at all- I think they were in it for the $$$ and certainly not for the health of their patients. but I did manage to loose 55 lbs. with the support of 3fat chicks and family. the "coach" was a male who had lost about 10 pounds on ip (a requirement by IP to have been on the diet and no clue about the emotional and support part for clients struggle with years of weight issues. every time i weighed in, even though i lost - his comments and his business like attitude made be feel awful about myself, like the only reason i was fat was because i couldn't control myself- jerk. I am type 2 diabetic and they put me on the regular program. Needless to say I had lots of issues with low blood pressure, very cranky and low blood sugar levels and almost listless all the time. My doctor didn't like that I was on ip and would not support it or adjust my metformin or work with me on it. I got so frustrated with the lack of support that I quit and gained 30 pounds back. In March I rejoined at a different clinic supervised by an actual medical doctor and he put me on the alternative program and is monitoring my blood sugars regularly. he has already adjusted my dosage and says if I continue I will be off it completely in another 6 weeks. I will then switch to to the regular program. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but wanted to let you know that the alternative program is meant for diabetes but you need good medical support. Stick with it and shop around for a good coach and doctor to support your journey as it makes a huge difference. I am still losing 2 to 4 pounds a week and 5th week in I lost 6.5- all the best in your journey.

I did IP through a physical therapy office last year and had a coach but then I moved and am currently too far away from an office to be able to go in every week. When I left the previous state my coach gave me the plans for the alternative protocol. I am trying to do this on my own. I pretty much use whatever IP foods I have left and I order the premade shakes from another website. They are cheaper and are the EXACT same thing but in a blue packaging. The company that makes them just packages them in green for IP. I have never been diagnosed as a diabetic but it runs in my family and I also don't like to eat meat or any of the SOY IP packets so my calorie intake is very, very low and I think that stalled my weight loss last time. I was getting about 650 cals a day. Adding one of each of the extra group foods a day just gives me a little more calories and makes this program easier to stick to. I guess I will see how it goes in the next few weeks. I am in a crunch to lose some belly flat, which is what disappears on me first, before we head on vacation. I also wanted to continue to work out so the extra food helps with that. Thanks for your reply. Please keep me updated.

rainbowsmiles 06-04-2013 01:57 PM

Official "Ideal Protein Alternative Plan Phase 1"

Is anyone doing the actual IP Alternative Plan....

I am not talking about using alternative products as a substitute for IP foods....

I am talking about the Official IP Protocol Alternative Plan??

Skinnyjeangirl 06-04-2013 02:30 PM

No... but tell us more!

rainbowsmiles 06-04-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinnyjeangirl (Post 4762665)
No... but tell us more!

nothing to tell....i was thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone else had gone that route and wanted to know their success.

kmerz568 06-04-2013 02:43 PM

I am in my second week on the Alternate plan. I started IP in late March, and though I was losing weight consistantly, I felt terrible. Was never able to get past feeling dizzy and had really low energy. These problems combined with the fact that at the end of June I'll be going to Hawaii for 3 weeks where I'll be very active every day, compelled me to switch. I didn't want to go off plan while on vacation, but would never be able to keep up with my family if I wasn't getting more food.

My weigh-in last week had me down 1 lb and 1.5 inches. My initial reaction was disappointment, but I've gotten past by reminding myself that having a way to steadily lose weight and learning to be healthy trumps instant fix.

ragdoll74 06-04-2013 02:45 PM

I think Nola was doing the alternate phase one. She's a maintainer now, not sure if she checks in on the other threads that often.

kmerz568 06-04-2013 02:47 PM

Forgot to add that I am feeling MUCH better since switching. :) The hardest part is the mental games of being fearful of adding in foods I had just trained myself to be forbidden.

2Poles1Girl 06-04-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4762668)
nothing to tell....i was thinking about trying it and wondered if anyone else had gone that route and wanted to know their success.

A former colleague does the alt plan and was losing and felt good. I don't know what her weekly losses were but she was going down in sizes in a relatively short amount of time.

lisa32989 06-04-2013 03:36 PM

Here is the link for the alternative plan
For newcomers, this is different than using alternative packets.
This plan is for diabetics and people with other medical contraindications for being on the strict IP.

tallgirl231 06-04-2013 03:42 PM

I've been on the alternate plan since I began mid Feb. Averaging 2 pound loss per week. Not as fast as some others, but I feel better and I think it is helping me to understand what I will need to do in maintenance. I also was afraid of not getting enough food for my body size and being dizzy etc. I was a diabetic when I began this plan but I'm off all of the metformin and have reduced some other meds as well.

tallgirl231 06-04-2013 03:43 PM

I should also add that I'm the alternate/alternate plan. Mostly proti-diet and now delicious Quest bars.

rainbowsmiles 06-04-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallgirl231 (Post 4762733)
I've been on the alternate plan since I began mid Feb. Averaging 2 pound loss per week. Not as fast as some others, but I feel better and I think it is helping me to understand what I will need to do in maintenance. I also was afraid of not getting enough food for my body size and being dizzy etc. I was a diabetic when I began this plan but I'm off all of the metformin and have reduced some other meds as well.

thank you!!!!! this is what i was looking for. that is great news about your medicine!! keep up the good work!

tallgirl231 06-04-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4762742)
thank you!!!!! this is what i was looking for. that is great news about your medicine!! keep up the good work!

Thanks and good luck to you if you decide to go with the alternate plan! :)

safetylady 06-04-2013 05:54 PM

My daughter in-law is following the alternative plan. She choose it because of her level of exercise. She wanted to and has lost a little over 10 pounds for the upcoming wedding in two weeks. She was very successful with the plan.

Suchawittygal 06-04-2013 10:39 PM

My husband was doing the Alternative IP plan. He is Type 1 Diabetic and it worked well for him. he lost 25 lbs.

JennyHar 07-08-2013 01:02 PM

Is this alternative plan something new? I had been on the original plan and lost about 25 pounds. I am so upset with myself for gaining it back. I just did a major move and stressed out and ate and ate and ate all my original bad habit stuff. So here I am ready to start over but I cannot afford to get back on it with the prices. Any suggestions? I'm ready to lose a good 20 again :)

ragdoll74 07-08-2013 01:27 PM

The alternate phase 1 for diabetics plan is not new, it's been around a while.

If you want to do either the regular or alternative phase 1 using store bought items (alternative items) you can check out some of the threads here.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ternative.html

I used a lot of items from Nashuanurtition.com and also some store bought items. It was about 1/3 the cost of the IP products. I still used the actual IP supplements though as I thought they were a good quality and worth the money.

BusyMamma 07-12-2013 12:30 PM

I know everyone is different but I wish there was more info on the diff in weight loss from phase 1 reg and phase 1 alternative.

I looked at the alternate sheet and OH, to have a serving of fruit or yogurt. How yummy! I love fruits way more than veggies although I understand veggies are still imp. in the alternative plan.

sekc14 07-12-2013 11:00 PM

I found a plant-based protein supplement that appears to be similar to IP in calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Anyone had experience with this brand/product? https://shop.myvega.com/products/veg...one-shake.html

sekc14 07-13-2013 11:23 AM

GNC brand Alternative to IP?

Does this look similar to IP shakes?
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12104889

lisa32989 07-13-2013 11:53 AM

This thread is for the alternative plan, rather than for alternate products.

It gets confusing, especially to newcomers. The alternative plan allows fruit and dairy and keeps you OUT of Ketosis.

Here is the thread for alternative product questions/discussion
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html

sekc14 07-14-2013 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=lisa32989;4792089]This thread is for the alternative plan, rather than for alternate products.

It gets confusing, especially to newcomers. The alternative plan allows fruit and dairy and keeps you OUT of Ketosis.

Oops! I'm sorry! Thank you for the link

janetbenson 08-28-2013 02:08 PM

I am not diabetic but decided to try the alternative program in order to stop the slow gradual weight gain after losing 30 lbs. I track and it seems that my carbs are kind of high, and that makes me nervous. I seem to be averaging 96 carbs a day and 135 protein. Does anyone know if this is to high? :?: