Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
KC just looking at my sheets now and carrots aren't listed as a starch carb because they have a lot of sugars in them. The fruit just says 1 serving - and then gives some examples, so you might want to do a bit of research on healthy serving sizes on google (maybe US Food guide).
Group 3 dairy gives specific choices only and Group 1 starches gives specific choices only. Best to follow the 'rules' and then you can't get too far off course, lol. Easier that way & remember this weight loss stage is only temporary - to get your body to use the fat reserves and not the glycogen stores.

Liana
I got the alternative plan lists from the sticky. I want to make sure I understand and follow the rules but comparing it to the other sheet there are differences. Alternative says 2 eggs are a protein, regular plan says whole eggs + egg whites. Regular plan allows tofu, alternate does not mention it. And I am confused about the carb choices because in the carb choice list it says corn, peas, or potatos are a choice, but then under vegetables says no carrots, corn, peas or potatos.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post
I got the alternative plan lists from the sticky. I want to make sure I understand and follow the rules but comparing it to the other sheet there are differences. Alternative says 2 eggs are a protein, regular plan says whole eggs + egg whites. Regular plan allows tofu, alternate does not mention it. And I am confused about the carb choices because in the carb choice list it says corn, peas, or potatos are a choice, but then under vegetables says no carrots, corn, peas or potatos.
Those sheets from the stickies are a bit older I'd wager... Mine are from Dec 2013 so not the absolute newest, lol but they state 4 whole eggs & 2 whites and tofu is on the list of 'other' proteins. I think eggs have changed to 2 whole and 4 whites just this past month. I'd buy a regular dozen and a carton of Free Range whites - that way you don't waste any. That's how I did it until maintenance anyhow. Now I use the fats in my regular yolks as part of my maint. plan so no need for the extra whites for me. I'm also thinking -go for the potatoes carrots etc from the not permitted list AS YOUR GROUP 1 CHOICE, EXCEPT for the avocado & olives as those veggies ALSO contain a fair amount of fat, and you want your body to use up its own fat stores first.

Last edited by canadjineh; 06-19-2014 at 02:49 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #78  

Hello everyone,
I am on the alternative protocol Phase 1 as well ( Thanks to Liana). I am 4 pounds to goal and today is my weigh in. Hoping to move to Phase 2 soon.

Liana, I can't find your sheets int his thread. Can you point me to them?
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #79  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am on the alternative protocol Phase 1 as well ( Thanks to Liana). I am 4 pounds to goal and today is my weigh in. Hoping to move to Phase 2 soon.

Liana, I can't find your sheets int his thread. Can you point me to them?
Hi hope: here's the link but it is older - needs to be updated to full 8 oz of protein (no matter what kind) and tofu IS on the list, the two whole eggs should have added egg white (I believe 4, on the new May 2014 sheets).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4600703-post36.html

hopefully this will pull up the PDF for you.
Liana
Old 11-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #80  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath138 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm transferring from original phase 1 to alternative phase 2. I like eating real food and it helps me to learn to eat balance (something I'm terrible at). So I was wondering if anyone lost all his or her weight this way? I can't wait to start working out again! I feel so much better already (first day done :-) )
Thats greatCath!! I might go alternate for a week during my trip as well!! it will be awesome if I get good results too!! As long as i lose 1-2 lbs/week with my gym and runs, I will be happy. I know some folks here like Lianawho lost weight and fat while on the alt plan. I will let the IP superstars answer ur query Good luck!!

Last edited by Aria05; 11-17-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #81  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath138 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm transferring from original phase 1 to alternative phase 2. I like eating real food and it helps me to learn to eat balance (something I'm terrible at). So I was wondering if anyone lost all his or her weight this way? I can't wait to start working out again! I feel so much better already (first day done :-) )
If you have 73 lbs to go, I would still do Alternative Phase 1. That is the weight loss phase. Alternative Phase 2 is to transition you OUT OF weight loss, getting your body ready for more food. It would be different if you only had the last 10 lbs or so to get to goal. That would be a better time for transition. You should probably re-look at Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book/dvd/or website to remind yourself of why there are 3 Phases plus maintenance, and not the 'usual diet routine' you are likely familiar with of weight loss diet and then 'maintenance'. Lisa posts links to it on the first post of the daily chat. Remember, weight loss is in the kitchen, and fitness is in the gym. A bit of exercise even through the phases is still a good habit to keep, BUT, the purpose of Phase 1 is fat loss, and that is NOT done by 'working out'. There are lots of people who have always eaten 'healthy' foods, and exercised a lot, who find they have still gained fat weight. Hey, I'm one of those. Well, used to be now, lol.

Best wishes on your plans - I hope you work things out so you are on track in your weight loss.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #82  
Start 3/8/15

S/C/G: 150/119/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
If you have 73 lbs to go, I would still do Alternative Phase 1. That is the weight loss phase. Alternative Phase 2 is to transition you OUT OF weight loss, getting your body ready for more food. It would be different if you only had the last 10 lbs or so to get to goal. That would be a better time for transition. You should probably re-look at Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book/dvd/or website to remind yourself of why there are 3 Phases plus maintenance, and not the 'usual diet routine' you are likely familiar with of weight loss diet and then 'maintenance'. Lisa posts links to it on the first post of the daily chat. Remember, weight loss is in the kitchen, and fitness is in the gym. A bit of exercise even through the phases is still a good habit to keep, BUT, the purpose of Phase 1 is fat loss, and that is NOT done by 'working out'. There are lots of people who have always eaten 'healthy' foods, and exercised a lot, who find they have still gained fat weight. Hey, I'm one of those. Well, used to be now, lol.

Best wishes on your plans - I hope you work things out so you are on track in your weight loss.

Hi Liana...you've really got this program down! I am currently rebooting with phase 1 (regular plan)...and am feeling & doing well (100% for 18 days now). But I've been meaning to ask you if you wouldn't mind posting what your day was like when you were on alternative phase 1. Could you please include your workout (type & duration),foods you ate, and the times of day? I know it's been a little while since you've done this...thanks for any info you can give!

Thanks!!!!
FitMom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #83  

Glad I found this thread!! Thanks for sharing your *alt experience*! I will stop asking redundant questions about alternate IP on different threads During my travel I want to switch from P1 to P2 to alternate P1 depending on how my day looks and whats on the menu I just don't want to gain any fat during my travel. Losing anything will be a bonus!!Any tips and or suggestion will be welcome!! Thank you!!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #84  

Hey Liana, quick question. Were u on diabetes/alt protocol during P1 or did u eventually move from regular P1 IP to alt/diabetic P1 after you reached your goal?Iam seriously considering moving to diabetic P1 for 2 main reasons.a) losing way too much hair! b) I am ok with slower fat loss as long as i can hit the gym.
Anyone here who switched from regular to diabtetic plan and loved it more?
Please advise! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I Wanted to bump this as I am considering switching to the alternative plan (which is for diabetics) because I have been having very scary dizzy spells and today I nearly fainted. Anyone else switch to this? Or start with this plan?
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #86  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria05 View Post
Hey Liana, quick question. Were u on diabetes/alt protocol during P1 or did u eventually move from regular P1 IP to alt/diabetic P1 after you reached your goal?Iam seriously considering moving to diabetic P1 for 2 main reasons.a) losing way too much hair! b) I am ok with slower fat loss as long as i can hit the gym.
Please advise! Thanks!
I moved to Alternative Protocol Phase 1 from regular P1 while still in weight loss mode, after I reached a point where I felt really ill, with no energy, and wasn't losing weight or inches. I didn't have much to lose so it wasn't diet fatigue as such, just that my body needed more food to work properly. Even now in maintenance I can eat a fair amount of net carbs compared to some others (100-150g per day) without much effect. Now when I do a P1 post-Funday (or for instance the next few days after getting back from a vacation in Mexico which wasn't very close to my maintenance macros) I usually do diabetic/alternative protocol. I certainly find it easier to do, and it works especially well for those who use more ethnic foods (Indian especially) or are vegetarian and get stuck with just tofu & eggs. It does work a bit slower, but not that much slower, especially if you choose your fruits and starches wisely - aiming for lower carb choices.
Hope that helped! You can always try it for a few weeks and track your results and if needed go back to regular P1. I did find that because I'm not diabetic I could use the option of just having only 1 or 2 of my 'extras' instead of all of them in a day. Sometimes I only added a fruit, or only added the lentils/beans, or only had a dairy choice in the day. If I didn't feel I was suffering I didn't bother using the choices - this would be different if you were actually diabetic and DID need ALL of the choices in your day.

Liana
Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #87  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria05 View Post
Please advise! Thanks!
Hi Ladies - So weird that you posted on this old thread and I found another old thread. I'm thinking about switching to the alerternative phase 1 for health reasons. I'm not feeling very well on Phase 1 (this has happened over the last 10 days). I feel dizzy and fatigued. I'm having to switch around the packets so that I"m eating every 3 hours, having protein at lunch but this left me with a long stretch yesterday of fasting from dinner time and even though I had my packet at 7 am, another one at 10:30 (which was normal for me) I nearly passed out at 11:00. A co-worker actually offered to drive me home, I called my primary physician because I was so scared, decided to eat my lunch at 11:15 and then completely felt fine!! So, I'm pretty sure my blood sugar is dropping. Now tonight, I don't have any more packets but will probably eat one at 8:00 because I don't want to repeat the same thing tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #88  

Quote:
I moved to Alternative Protocol Phase 1 from regular P1 while still in weight loss mode, after I reached a point where I felt really ill, with no energy, and wasn't losing weight or inches. I didn't have much to lose so it wasn't diet fatigue as such, just that my body needed more food to work properly. Even now in maintenance I can eat a fair amount of net carbs compared to some others (100-150g per day) without much effect. Now when I do a P1 post-Funday (or for instance the next few days after getting back from a vacation in Mexico which wasn't very close to my maintenance macros) I usually do diabetic/alternative protocol. I certainly find it easier to do, and it works especially well for those who use more ethnic foods (Indian especially) or are vegetarian and get stuck with just tofu & eggs. It does work a bit slower, but not that much slower, especially if you choose your fruits and starches wisely - aiming for lower carb choices.
Hope that helped! You can always try it for a few weeks and track your results and if needed go back to regular P1. I did find that because I'm not diabetic I could use the option of just having only 1 or 2 of my 'extras' instead of all of them in a day. Sometimes I only added a fruit, or only added the lentils/beans, or only had a dairy choice in the day. If I didn't feel I was suffering I didn't bother using the choices - this would be different if you were actually diabetic and DID need ALL of the choices in your day.

Liana
Liana - Since I'm not actually diabetic either I was thinking the same thing after I read the protocal. I was thinking that I didn't have to have an extra fruit or yogurt at every meal just when I felt like I needed it.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #89  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta10 View Post
Liana - Since I'm not actually diabetic either I was thinking the same thing after I read the protocal. I was thinking that I didn't have to have an extra fruit or yogurt at every meal just when I felt like I needed it.
Sounds like you could give it a try, Shasta, and see how it works for you... keep us posted

Liana
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #90  

Quote:

Liana
Thank You SO much for your detailed reply Liana!! I am sure you have answered this before somewhere and still indulged me !! You are the best!!
This is my plan for now. Early Feb-regular P1 to lose all the "vacation fat". I will start adding extras specially on workout days as soon as that vacation fat comes off!!. I will let you guys know how that works for me. Right now I am just trying to get back on track (hard after u took a 2 mo break)
Thank you and good luck y'all!!

Last edited by Aria05; 02-03-2015 at 06:33 PM.