Anyone on the Alternative Protocol?

You're on Page 3 of 8
Go to
  • My daughter in-law is following the alternative plan. She choose it because of her level of exercise. She wanted to and has lost a little over 10 pounds for the upcoming wedding in two weeks. She was very successful with the plan.
  • My husband was doing the Alternative IP plan. He is Type 1 Diabetic and it worked well for him. he lost 25 lbs.
  • Is this alternative plan something new? I had been on the original plan and lost about 25 pounds. I am so upset with myself for gaining it back. I just did a major move and stressed out and ate and ate and ate all my original bad habit stuff. So here I am ready to start over but I cannot afford to get back on it with the prices. Any suggestions? I'm ready to lose a good 20 again
  • The alternate phase 1 for diabetics plan is not new, it's been around a while.

If you want to do either the regular or alternative phase 1 using store bought items (alternative items) you can check out some of the threads here.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ternative.html

I used a lot of items from Nashuanurtition.com and also some store bought items. It was about 1/3 the cost of the IP products. I still used the actual IP supplements though as I thought they were a good quality and worth the money.
  • I know everyone is different but I wish there was more info on the diff in weight loss from phase 1 reg and phase 1 alternative.

I looked at the alternate sheet and OH, to have a serving of fruit or yogurt. How yummy! I love fruits way more than veggies although I understand veggies are still imp. in the alternative plan.
  • I found a plant-based protein supplement that appears to be similar to IP in calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Anyone had experience with this brand/product? https://shop.myvega.com/products/veg...one-shake.html
  • GNC brand Alternative to IP?
    Does this look similar to IP shakes?
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12104889
  • This thread is for the alternative plan, rather than for alternate products.

It gets confusing, especially to newcomers. The alternative plan allows fruit and dairy and keeps you OUT of Ketosis.

Here is the thread for alternative product questions/discussion
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html
  • [QUOTE=lisa32989;4792089]This thread is for the alternative plan, rather than for alternate products.

It gets confusing, especially to newcomers. The alternative plan allows fruit and dairy and keeps you OUT of Ketosis.

Oops! I'm sorry! Thank you for the link
  • I am not diabetic but decided to try the alternative program in order to stop the slow gradual weight gain after losing 30 lbs. I track and it seems that my carbs are kind of high, and that makes me nervous. I seem to be averaging 96 carbs a day and 135 protein. Does anyone know if this is to high?
  • Quote: I am not diabetic but decided to try the alternative program in order to stop the slow gradual weight gain after losing 30 lbs. I track and it seems that my carbs are kind of high, and that makes me nervous. I seem to be averaging 96 carbs a day and 135 protein. Does anyone know if this is to high?
    If you are Type I diabetic you need to be careful to stay out of ketosis. Mild ketosis can start around 70-80 g carbs. ~100 g is safe. The alternative plan is meant to keep you out of ketosis. Why do you need to track on this plan? Shouldn't it be fine according to the rules? Unless you are very sensitive to carbs, a few grams will not make a huge difference. If you keep a caloric deficit, you will loose weight eventually.
  • I have a friend who has type 2 diabetes & is interested in doing IP. Is there a fact sheet about the Alternative Plan that I can send her? I'm not having very good luck with my internet search.
  • It is in the stickies
  • My coach gives the alternative plan to people who want to continue exercising at least 45 minutes at a time 4 days a week. She suggested I try it a while back and I did. I LOVED the flexibility of being able to have occassional fruit and dairy - especially because it's fruit harvest time and everything is fresh. I only did it for a week before deciding to go back to regular phase I. I just didn't trust myself to do the exercise and didn't want to slow my progress. But I think it's a great protocol and I may go back to it for a bit before I phase off.
  • Hey All, I lost 50lbs with the regular IP protocol. I switched to the Alternative plan because I am working out at the gym to get ready for ski season. Not exercising for 3.5 months was just weird to me. But I did it.

I have not seen the scale budge since I've been on the AP. If you are not in ketosis, then how does your body know to burn fat? I have been on a weight loss stall for about a month now and I'm getting very frustrated. I have 25lbs to go and I just want it GONE! UGH.

Any advice? I know the weight loss will be slower, and I am doing 30 min of strength training so I am building muscle, but at what point will the body say, "Okay new muscles, start burning calories!" Or I wonder how many weeks it will take for my body to adjust to the increase of carbs and calories and the exercise 3x a week. I've been sore and tired. And have three kids.

I know I sound like a complainer, but after so many weeks of great success, and then a plateau, I'm just beside myself! I am hovering over the 200 mark. I, mentally, need to break through that 200lbs barrier.