Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #91  
Love

S/C/G: 287.3/228.3/160 restartApr25

Height: 5'5"

Linden - so sorry to hear that you may miss your trip. I'll keep you in my thoughts. *hugs*
AmyonIP - wow, that is scary! I am so glad everyone is OK.

Today I broke and stepped on the scale. The results were reassuring, and hopefully the scale tomorrow at WI reads the same.

I'm a bit stressed out right now as our Nursing Program has, yet again, put our cohort of students in a rough spot. They posted clinical placements, but since some people were not doing the proper med/surg rotation, they have to re-post it Friday. And I have a feeling the students who were in neuro/heart/renal and get moved will NOT be happy. I was in surgery and it SHOULD stay that way. My uneasiness comes from the fear that there is a chance someone who I am trying to avoid (long story), due to their negativity and manipulative behaviour, may end up in my group. Been there and done that for the past year - and I just need to get away from it. Especially now that I'm focusing on myself and my health. I do not want to deal with the issues that have continuously occurred in their presence.

On a brighter note - today is officially 30 days since I started IP. It'll be interesting to see tomorrow what my total weight loss is in my first month. Of course, it is TOM so I need to keep that in mind.

Tonight we had extra lean ground turkey for supper. It was very delish. I plan to make a shake for snack.

Friday we are going to The Keg for my Oma's birthday dinner. I have already looked at the menu. I'd love salad greens and Lobster tail. I adore plain Lobster so that will be fine. No butter for me! I do need to bring some sea salt and my own salad dressing though.

Good job everyone on your losses and staying on protocol. Keep it up!! & Take care. xox.
SashaJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #92  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Hi all, well I survived the cookie exchange today. I had 5 dozen different types of all homemade cookies/goodies. I took a few plates worth to the neighbors just to get some out of the house. Boy they smelt good. I hadn't seen a lot of the women since I started IP and 4 of them commented on my weight loss and what have I been doing? That was great, because I hadn't told any of them that I was loosing weight, they asked me first.
I was on my way out the door to drop daughter off to dance, and my mom called. She told me that she was in a car wreck.....in my car that we had let her borrow yesterday while her car was in the shop. She was going straight on the highway and a car turned into her. Air bags deployed and all. She was bruised up a bit, but if it had been a second later, she would have hit them, and they had a 3 year old and a 6 mo old in their car. Thank God everyone walked away and is ok. So it's 7:30 and it's WAY past dinner time for me, but with all the comotion I wasn't hungry after wards when everyone went to Jack in the Box.
I read through the posts and great job all! There is a ton of great advice and info on here, I'll have to go back and re-read. Have a good night all. My nerves are shot so I'm going to bed soon.
Oh no! I'm so glad that you guys are okay! Are you still going on your weekend getaway?
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #93  

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
And yes, kids, it's 13 lbs. remaining. Jumping to Phase 2 this weekend. Lunch is about to get a lot more interesting...

My wife is a music teacher and last night was the teachers' association Christmas dinner. You would all enjoy the looks I got from people at my table. They brought out a spinach salad covered with raspberries and slivered almonds, and an interesting looking raspberry dressing. I asked if I could get one without the dressing (figuring I could push the berries and nuts to the side). The server said she'd see what she could do. She returned a few minutes later, plopped another dressing coated salad in front of me, and said she couldn't help me. So I picked at it, finding three spinach leaves that were free of any dressing. I left the rest. My wife was told that the main course would be chicken, and I figured that might actually be a safe bet. When it was delivered, it was cordon bleu. Breaded, stuffed with ham and cheese, and coated with sauce. Sides were rice and carrots with broccoli. 3 tiny florets of broccoli to be exact. I ate those and asked the plopper (couldn't really say she knew how to wait tables) if, since "I wasn't feeling well" if she had a box I could use to take the meal home with me. I didn't lie to her. I wasn't feeling well. A sit down dinner with three leaves of spinach and 3 tiny broccoli bites didn't leave me feeling well at all!

Of course, the people seated at our table had very curious looks for me. I had nearly 150 lbs. of weight loss backing me up, so the thought of actually breaking down and indulging like everyone else was doing lasted only a fraction of a second. I'm not inclined to cheat anyway, and certainly not tempted by the culinary disaster placed in front of me last night. There are some meals that would truly have tested my willpower, but this was not one of them. I sat there and watched everyone fill their guts with mediocre food and pondered where I am and from whence I've come. It was an interesting moment.

The crowning moment of the evening came when the association president concluded the evening with a few remarks that had me laughing. She said, and I quote, "We've been well fed this evening. If you're leaving hungry, there's definitely something wrong with you."

I guess she's right. There is something wrong with me. I used to be fat guy with high blood pressure and marginal blood work. Now I look kinda normal and I feel pretty d*mn good. I'm seriously screwed up! I guess what's really wrong with me is that 1) I was disappointed that there was nothing served that would work for me -- which shows how screwed up "normal" really is, and 2) I didn't really want to eat what they put in front of me because I didn't find it appealing. Perhaps it's because I'm so close to my goal that cheating at this point just seems absurd. Perhaps the food snob that was always hiding inside me has become refined through the IP process. Either way, the salad I made for myself when I got home was much better than anything they served earlier in the evening. I didn't need to taste their food to know that.

Some of today's thread has focused on the temptations that others bring into the office or into our home kitchens. These temptations aren't going away. But there are a lot of things that smell much better than they taste (french fries come to mind), and I often take a moment to savor the aroma of the holiday foods that seem to be multiplying here at work. Better to eat with my eyes and nose than with mouth and stomach.
You amaze me, inspire me, and remind me of why we're doing this. Thank you for your amazing truths! I can't wait to see some before and after pics!!! Thank you!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #94  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
And yes, kids, it's 13 lbs. remaining. Jumping to Phase 2 this weekend. Lunch is about to get a lot more interesting....

These temptations aren't going away. But there are a lot of things that smell much better than they taste (french fries come to mind), and I often take a moment to savor the aroma of the holiday foods that seem to be multiplying here at work. Better to eat with my eyes and nose than with mouth and stomach.
I loved hearing your story. I am so sorry that it wasn't a compatible meal but, you are right. There is not one good reason right now for you to give up or give in to temptation let alone, less than average food!

You're also right about the future temptations. They will always be there and we have to find new ways to satisfy our senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate89 View Post
Thanks Carla! I had a great day I switched to 3 packets today and honestly I'm stuffed full! And i had eggs for dinner tonight so I thought I'd try to make the chocolate pancake! well that was a dud! anyone have any suggestions? i had to chunk it in the trash it was runny and just burned to the bottom of the pan
GREAT! Too bad the pancake didn't work out. I made muffins and they were pretty tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules26 View Post
thanks CARLA!!!

So i should stop snacking on raw green bell peppers???

i really want to do all i can do to see maximum results....

hope everyone has a great night!!
WELL... it says green pepper and other sweet red/orange/yellow/etc. are to be cooked. I would at least steam them. You could chill them and then eat them cold still. I know, not the same crunch. I don't assume it will be too great slow down if you ate them raw but, for such an odd instruction on a program with little instructions, I am inclined to follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyonIP View Post
Hi all, well I survived the cookie exchange today. I had 5 dozen different types of all homemade cookies/goodies. I took a few plates worth to the neighbors just to get some out of the house. Boy they smelt good. I hadn't seen a lot of the women since I started IP and 4 of them commented on my weight loss and what have I been doing? That was great, because I hadn't told any of them that I was loosing weight, they asked me first.
I was on my way out the door to drop daughter off to dance, and my mom called. She told me that she was in a car wreck.....in my car that we had let her borrow yesterday while her car was in the shop. She was going straight on the highway and a car turned into her. Air bags deployed and all. She was bruised up a bit, but if it had been a second later, she would have hit them, and they had a 3 year old and a 6 mo old in their car. Thank God everyone walked away and is ok. So it's 7:30 and it's WAY past dinner time for me, but with all the comotion I wasn't hungry after wards when everyone went to Jack in the Box.
I read through the posts and great job all! There is a ton of great advice and info on here, I'll have to go back and re-read. Have a good night all. My nerves are shot so I'm going to bed soon.

Congratulations on the comments! I am so sorry to hear about the wreck. That is such a distressing moment. I am glad that no one was more seriously hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaJS View Post

I'm a bit stressed out right now as our Nursing Program has, yet again, put our cohort of students in a rough spot. They posted clinical placements, but since some people were not doing the proper med/surg rotation, they have to re-post it Friday. And I have a feeling the students who were in neuro/heart/renal and get moved will NOT be happy. I was in surgery and it SHOULD stay that way. My uneasiness comes from the fear that there is a chance someone who I am trying to avoid (long story), due to their negativity and manipulative behaviour, may end up in my group. Been there and done that for the past year - and I just need to get away from it. Especially now that I'm focusing on myself and my health. I do not want to deal with the issues that have continuously occurred in their presence.

On a brighter note - today is officially 30 days since I started IP. It'll be interesting to see tomorrow what my total weight loss is in my first month. Of course, it is TOM so I need to keep that in mind.

Tonight we had extra lean ground turkey for supper. It was very delish. I plan to make a shake for snack.

Friday we are going to The Keg for my Oma's birthday dinner. I have already looked at the menu. I'd love salad greens and Lobster tail. I adore plain Lobster so that will be fine. No butter for me! I do need to bring some sea salt and my own salad dressing though.

Good job everyone on your losses and staying on protocol. Keep it up!! & Take care. xox.
Sorry about the frustration with the new group member possibility. Hopefully it won't be that way.

CONGRATULATIONS!! 30 days! My doesn't time fly! Who knew you would be this successful and far along in one short month!

I loved eating at The Keg. They were very accomodating to my needs. I got extra veggies, broccoli steamed plan, and we ordered some asparagus for the table. My salad was simple but crisp and good too. I had steak that night. YUMM. BF ordered a shrimp cocktail so I got a piece of that spritzed with lemon. It was very easy to eat there.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #95  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

My DH has icecream, cookies, pies, cakes (I do bake for him also) - his motto is "you don't need to diet, you need to burn your calories" - He eats all that stuff and goes to the gym after work and burns 1500+ doing cardio. I used to get fustrated with all the sweets looking at me, but not anymore, I just ignore and if I really want something sweet I get a pudding - I look at the good part of it, how strong I am overcoming temptation -
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #96  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Default This thread is now closed.

Good morning! I hope everyone is having a fabulous week.

The new daily thread is now open. Please multi-quote any responses from this thread. Then, cut and paste your responses in the new thread.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 Daily Chat
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 218.7/212.6/165

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Yes! They really are!

I am not a big fan of most of them but, if they work for you, ENJOY!

ONEDERLAND!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Don't you feel

You will feel a difference. The calcium, magnesium, and potassium will effect you most quickly.

You will likely see a more rapid result in weight loss too. Calcium has been studied and proven to help increase weight loss.

You asked yesterday if I was a coach. I am trying to be. What I learned, I learned by doing the diet, talking with others doing the diet, people on here and their experiences, other coaches, and by doing the research on how it work, how ketogenic diets work, and our bodies. I guess it was all hands on.

10 pounds is 2 weeks! That is a great average! It is also normal for many people to do better on weeks 1 and 3. Don't start to worry. You are doing well.

Congratulations on the NSV. I know it can be a challenge but, you did great!

Here is my understanding. We don't cook onions because the fiber is more delicate and when it is cooked at high heat it releases but it doesn't cook out completely so, it carmelizes and that carmelized sugar without fiber causes an increase in our insulin as our glycemic levels rise.

THE OPPOSITE IS TRUE OF BELL PEPPER.

Bell pepper has a lot of dense fiber but, it has a lot of sugar. When cooked those sugars are actually destroyed and the fiber doesn't fully break down but becomes more quickly useable. That change in fiber and sugar actually reduces impact on us from a glycemic point of view.

Bell pepper has a lot of vitamin C. Unfortunately, when cooked 30% of that is lost.

I haven't found too much extra to support that so, you will have to decide if it works for you or if you want to research it more.

Here is an article with a few interesting points about glycemic levels of food.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

it might have something to do with the exercise. That won't happen as easily once your body adjusts to using ketase/ketone packets of energy as fuel.

Call it cautious optimism. So many of our family members and special people have watched us try, lose, gain, and try again that, until their doubts are resolved they are afraid to get excited with us. He will come around.

Know that WE are excited and here for you until and after that happens! 3.4 pounds a week is FANTASTIC! You are having wonderful, steady progress. I love how much you are showing lost this early in the game!

Check out our sticky thread called phases. click on the paperclip icon to find and see the phase1 sheet.

Peanut butter isn't the worst choice. Most people when they start to crave peanut butter are needing one of a few things the peanut butter offers. (believe it or not, peanut butter is a great, calorie/nutrient rich food)

My guess is you are needing protein, fat, omega oil, manganese or selenium. It is VERY common on low carb diets to start peanut butter seeking.

Check out the information on peanut and peanut butter below!

Nutrition Facts and Information about Peanut: Peanuts are a rich source of protein. They are rich in almost all minerals. Peanuts contain excellent levels of manganese, copper and magnesium. It is also a very good source of iron, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, selenium and tryptophan. Peanuts contain traces of sodium.

Vitamin Content: Peanut is a good source of Niacin and folate. Peanuts also contain thiamin, vitamin E, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and riboflavin.

Health Benefits of Peanut: Peanuts contribute to brain health, brain circulation and blood flow. In addition to that, peanuts are also good antioxidants. Other health benefits of peanut include protection against colon cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, heart disease, and high cholesterol.

Nutrition Facts and Information about Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is an excellent source of potassium, phosphorous and magnesium. It also contains very good amounts of calcium and sodium. Peanut butter contains good amounts of iron, zinc, manganese and selenium.

Vitamin Content: Peanut butter contains excellent levels of niacin and very good amounts of vitamin B3 and vitamin E. It contains good amounts of vitamin k, thiamin, pantothenic acid and riboflavin.

Calorie Content of Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is a high calorie food. The total calorie content in 100 grams of peanut butter is 589 calories. An excellent source of protein, peanuts also contains folate, dietary fiber and arginine.

Health Benefits of Peanut Butter: The benefits of peanut butter include treatment of cardiovascular diseases, coronary heart diseases, high cholesterol levels, high blood sugar, cancer, and gallstones

You are right about not doing a restricted today HOWEVER, I wouldn't change the meal.

She probably needed to have a 4th packet today or some added oil(olive or omega). She should just move on with the plan, treating the PB as an extra and something that won't pull her from ketosis.

If she cuts the meal, she could end up wanting more of something else later or getting the wrong balance of nutrition.

She should just get back on the horse.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
Thank you Carla and everyone else! AGAIN I have learned a lot from you ! I did have the 2 regular eggs and 2 c of broccoli.... rtd choc shake in the evening... why then, would I have gone UP .5??? thats ok..... I will keep chugging along...this past month has been very slow for me... struggling to get into those '60's.
LOSINGFORGOOD2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 156/145/130

Height: 5'7

[QUOTE=salesgod;3600781]

Salesgod-what a fabulous, well written, and thought provoking post!!! Thanks for the motivating alternative view!
coqui71 is offline   Reply With Quote