3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Introductions to those of us on Ideal Protein (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/217542-introductions-those-us-ideal-protein.html)

Linden 01-09-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjw83 (Post 3642245)
Hi! I have been lurking on here for a few days, and decided to introduce myself when I found this thread :) I am starting IP tomorrow and am really excited! I have about 30-40 pounds to lose.
I`ve always had to watch my weight, but could control it with diet and exercise. I guess I should mention that I am 27 and have 3 small children! My weight struggle really started after my last baby was born, almost 2 years ago. My body just went haywire, my hormones are all messed up, and my thyroid went hypo. That is not a good combination!! I have been a mess for the last year. I gained 30 pounds and nothing will take it off. Very frusterating! I hate how I look, ect. A friend of a friend told me about IP and how they had lost 70 pounds, so I decided that this was what I needed and am going for it! Wish me luck :;))

Hi, and WELCOME. And I'm so very glad you mentioned hypothyroidism. It's probably the trigger for the hormones, and both trigger the weight. But then you know that. What you may not have been told by your coach, or even your doctor, is that you should never take calcium withing 6-8 hours of taking your thyroid medicine; you should wait 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after you take it to eat; you should never, never eat goitrogenic foods raw (Ms. Google can give you a better explanation than I), and soy and hypothyroid medicine do not mix. Soy isolate is in all but about 3-4 of the IP packets. There is a whole thread on hypo and IP. But if you avoid soy as the first and (hopefully) second packet, you're ok.

However, I've been on the program for over 6 months and used IP exclusively, albeit very, very slowly, BUT that is related to other auto-immune problems and age as much as hypothyroidism. I absolutely do not want to discourage you. I think you've found the best thought-out eating plan around and you may very well thrive on it. Some people have actually said that their doctor's took them off thyroid medicine as a consequence of loosing weight and I didn't even know that was possible. :)

So, welcome again. The only reason for this preachy post is because I dearly wish someone would have told me these things when I started. I wouldn't have quit; but I sure would have known to do things differently.

chant 01-09-2011 04:10 PM

Hey, my name is Chantal,

Just started IP 4 days ago. And have been reading a lot on this forum. I'm super motivated to get this done, but have a hard time saying no to people, and am always trying to explain and convince them that I cannot eat certain foods. I don't want to have to isolate myself just to be able to follow the program. What can I say to them that they'll be supportive?

Help ? I really want to do this.

(for example. I was invited to dinner friday at the restaurant, and the restaurant did not want to make changes to its menu, I was aking for olive oil instead of butter on my food, and it seemed to be too much to ask. And I had a dinner with friends, and she cooked with Coconut Milk, and I don't think I can have coconut milk. And then, they keep trying to fill my glass with Wine... Please don't tempation is hard enough)

chant 01-09-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chant (Post 3642918)
Hey, my name is Chantal,

Just started IP 4 days ago. And have been reading a lot on this forum. I'm super motivated to get this done, but have a hard time saying no to people, and am always trying to explain and convince them that I cannot eat certain foods. I don't want to have to isolate myself just to be able to follow the program. What can I say to them that they'll be supportive?

Help ? I really want to do this.

(for example. I was invited to dinner friday at the restaurant, and the restaurant did not want to make changes to its menu, I was aking for olive oil instead of butter on my food, and it seemed to be too much to ask. And I had a dinner with friends, and she cooked with Coconut Milk, and I don't think I can have coconut milk. And then, they keep trying to fill my glass with Wine... Please don't tempation is hard enough)

I forgot to introduce myself properly

I'm 27, in montreal, Quebec. I live alone and love my job (advertising). I used to skate, stop 7-8 years ago. Since then, I have not found another sport that kept me focused on my health, so the pounds began to creep up on me. I gained about 60 pounds, and have tried many different diets that did not work before.

A co-worker introduced me to this program, and I figured that I had everything to loose (and not the opposite). So I'm giving this a try, hoping that it works and that I can stay focused and not cheat and follow it properly.

I keep coming back to read your testimonials, and it's really inspiring. So please keep posting, i'll be sure to read.

kjw83 01-09-2011 04:35 PM

Thanks!

Thankyou, Linden, for that info! No one has ever mentioned that to me, I will ask my coach when I see her next what I need to do different. I really don`t want to mess this up :)

Beachbella 01-09-2011 07:40 PM

Hi my name is Allyson and I live in NJ. I started IP on Jan 3rd. I have a friend that lost her weight in the summer and now is at her goal weight. I was motivated by her to start the IP Program.

My main goal is get off my high blood pressure meds by doing this program and of course would LOVE to lose weight in the process. I think being 37 and on high blood pressure meds is a little too young and I want to be "pill free".

I have struggled with my weight my whole life and I am the heaviest I have ever been. I have a wonderful supportive family, boyfriend, and circle of friends to get me through this journey.

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 1/2 yrs and was used to him being around all the time but he decided to become a doctor and now we are doing the "long distance" thing...so far so good to say the least. We are right now on the opposite coasts. Me in NJ and he in NV.

I am looking forward to this journey and my first weight in is tomorrow. I have not peeked at the scale I am waiting for the weight in tomorrow.

I am looking forward to reading everyones stories, tips, and advice on this site. Seems like I found a great group here.

Linden 01-09-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjw83 (Post 3642960)
Thankyou, Linden, for that info! No one has ever mentioned that to me, I will ask my coach when I see her next what I need to do different. I really don`t want to mess this up :)

You might want to check this out http://us.mg201.mail.yahoo.com/dc/la...=1vn5bql1ujuti and Google related subjects. Everything I told you I either learned here or by Googling --not from either my doctor or my coach. Sad really.

machbasy 01-09-2011 10:01 PM

I have been on IP since September, and I have lost 35 pounds, and I don't know how many inches but it's A LOT!

I am short, with muscular thighs and calves, and I have never been considered "skinny" compared to my friends. Looking back at pictures from high school and college, I don't know what I was thinking back then! I definitely didn't have a weight problem back then, although I sure thought I did. It really all started after I had children.

About 5 years ago, I decided to start working out again. I also cut out eating out for lunch, and lost about 30 pounds in about 3 months. Then I took a weight loss class at the gym, and started monitoring my food intake. Weighing, measuring, counting carbs, protein, fat, etc... The class also required working out 6 days/week, burning 500 calories each day. Needless to say, this schedule severely interfered in my family time. I was neglecting my husband and children. I ended up losing another 11 pounds during those 6 weeks. But, it was just too much, and I stopped altogether. I ended up gaining all of the weight back, and more.

As with most everyone else, I realized that losing weight as I got older took more and more exercise and more and more food restriction. It was frustrating. In September, I learned about IP through some friends who were on the plan and were showing remarkable results. I decided to give it a whirl. The first week was downright awful, and I almost quit about 50 times! But with the support of my husband and my friends on IP, I made it through the first week. After that, it was a breeze. I have had a few slip ups along the way, but nothing major.

What I love about this plan is that I can follow protocol and lose fat AND still take care of my family. I know that on phase 3 and 4 I will need to incorporate some exercise, but it certainly won't be at the level I was doing 5 years ago.

Jaygal 01-09-2011 11:39 PM

I've been very encouraged by reading all of your stories!

I am in a season of change! I'm a teacher, returning to the classroom after many years at home with my kids.

My weight gain has been over years: began with pregnancy and undiagnosed hypothyroidism... those years as a mom of littles left me with firmly entrenched habits of using food in survival mode. Addicted to sugar, carbs, and caffeine, I continued to gain weight. I never dieted, but tried to develop healthier habits unsuccessfully.

In my quest to regain my health, I sought chiropractic care about a year ago, and through the chiropractor I began IP on the first of September, 2010.

I've found IP to be relatively easy! Over the summer I had drastically reduced the amount of caffeine and sugar that I was consuming (especially in the form of Mexican Coke... the stuff with real sugar!) and I think that made the transition a lot smoother for me.

I've lurked and gleaned lots from this forum, thank you all!

ladyvrod 01-09-2011 11:43 PM

does anyone know where Carla is?
I miss her and her advice.

ladyvrod 01-09-2011 11:55 PM

Possing a question to the group

I have been seeing a few posts from some of those who have recently joined us about how to make otherwise carby foods IP friendly. Bread for example.
I like to think I am somewhat creative when it comes to cooking but honestly have not tried to make say bread without flour/carbs.
My question is.....................is it better to take the position of retraining one's self to be in control of the carbs (bread, pasta, etc) like waiting til the appropriate phase to consume "legal" carbs in sparing quantities........
OR
to try and find alternatives and continue to eat "bread" "pasta" (carbless) ?

Most likely a personal decision but let's discuss it................. ???

Linden 01-10-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyvrod (Post 3643766)
I have been seeing a few posts from some of those who have recently joined us about how to make otherwise carby foods IP friendly. Bread for example.
I like to think I am somewhat creative when it comes to cooking but honestly have not tried to make say bread without flour/carbs.
My question is.....................is it better to take the position of retraining one's self to be in control of the carbs (bread, pasta, etc) like waiting til the appropriate phase to consume "legal" carbs in sparing quantities........
OR

It's a simple either/or question, on the surface. But I think it's really more of a sophisticated issue when you get right down to is. I can only speak for myself, but I think avoiding bread and pasta "creative" solutions is a good course to take, if you've got your mind wrapped around the whole concept of the IP program and its emphasis on retraining. Permanent retraining.

On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with the bulk (and no anything) you get with Miracal noodles, in moderation. Just my two cents.

Mrs Diettrich 01-10-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyvrod (Post 3643766)
OR

I think that when we are seeking appropriate substitutes, we're seeking to fill that void that we're feeling until we're into phase 3 and can go back to eating them. However, while we should be looking for healthy alternatives if we MUST have carbs after we are in maintenance, it seems like we should be using phases 1 & 2 to train our bodies not to be seeking carbs. The lack of cravings that we experience kind helps "prove" that we don't need them. I'd say it's better to retrain ourselves to not need them. If we don't get used to not needing them now, how ever are we going to maintain our losses when we reach maintenance?

I mean, if someone was trying to overcome their alcoholism, would we suggest that they just drink O'Douls? :D

Monkey Hunter 01-10-2011 11:59 AM

Thank you for discussing the carbs such as breads and pasta. One of my love of food downfalls was definitely fresh baked breads of all kinds.

After reading so much here and from the IP site as well as the additional info provided in my packet, I have a new understanding about my consumption of fast carbs. I am motivated to change that about myself for the long term and to find healthy alternatives in moderation. :)

The last 6 years of dieting and being so discouraged when my body didn't respond brought me back to that cycle of throwing my hands up in the air and grabbing for the first fast carb I could find which usually turned out to be bread. :(

I truly enjoy reading this forum because of all the useful information that is shared and the support given. I'm off to search for any posts on hormonal changes when starting phase I. Has anyone noted fullness/tenderness in their breasts upon waking in the morning? (I had a hysterectomy in 07). This is my first official week (day 6) on IP and the past 3 mornings this has been happening.

Have a wonderful IP day everyone.

Mrs Diettrich 01-10-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Hunter (Post 3644703)
Thank you for discussing the carbs such as breads and pasta. One of my love of food downfalls was definitely fresh baked breads of all kinds.

After reading so much here and from the IP site as well as the additional info provided in my packet, I have a new understanding about my consumption of fast carbs. I am motivated to change that about myself for the long term and to find healthy alternatives in moderation. :)

The last 6 years of dieting and being so discouraged when my body didn't respond brought me back to that cycle of throwing my hands up in the air and grabbing for the first fast carb I could find which usually turned out to be bread. :(

I truly enjoy reading this forum because of all the useful information that is shared and the support given. I'm off to search for any posts on hormonal changes when starting phase I. Has anyone noted fullness/tenderness in their breasts upon waking in the morning? (I had a hysterectomy in 07). This is my first official week (day 6) on IP and the past 3 mornings this has been happening.

Have a wonderful IP day everyone.

Where in Washington do you live?

Mrs Diettrich 01-10-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich (Post 3644718)
Where in Washington do you live?

Hahahaha, nevermind - I see that you've answered my question a couple of times in different threads! I'm in Spokane! :-)