Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Linden-- Great job!! Slow and steady does win the race!

Tennesseeleigh--What great news!! Take great care of yourself. IP will be there when you have a new baby in your arms and have recovered from the birth.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 240/200/170

Height: 5'7"

Default computer dummy

I put in a profile picture and when i bring it up its there...but i can't get it to come up on my messages..
also i want one of the ticker tapes at the bottom how do we do that...
i really need a computer wiz...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #18  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say I won't be doing IP for at least the next nine months. Found out Saturday that I'm pregnant! Due date is July 17, 2011. So, I'm gonna pack away my IP stuff and I'll see ya'll next year.

Congratulations!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #19  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

Tennesseeleigh- Fantastic news! Congrats!

JudoGirl- try changing your avatar, not your profile pic. I never could get the profile pic to work. Also, if you read the very first message on the daily thread, there is a link to information about your sigy. You have to have 20 posts and be on for 20 days for the sigy to show up!

Turnip Fries- I have given up on getting truly crispy "fries"....but I do enjoy these! I have tried broiling and baking. They are a spicy snack that are pretty yummy. I just toss mine in EVOO and seasonings then bake. My BF even eats them! Mmmmm, maybe I will make some tonight...seems like I have a turnip or two floating around in my vegetable drawer!

Happy IP day everyone! I dyed my hair dark brown (always been a blondie) last night...in honor of the new me that I have found!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Linden - you are likely sleeping right now, but Congratulations!!! I know exactly how you feel seeing those new lower numbers on the scale.

Leigh - congrats to you too. Now you will know exactly how to lose that baby weight afterwards!

Today is WI # 7 for me. I'm keeping fingers crossed it's a good one - will let you know at the end of the day. I'll be picking up some restricted bars for the first time. I head off to my conference on Friday and I think the bars will be easier for lunch etc. If she has some of those cheese curls in I just might have to try some of them too!

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #21  

Good morning, sister IPers!.. a lovely day here in west Texas, slightly warmer than normal, I'm going to enjoy it because that's all gonna change in a couple of days... winter-like temperatures are on their way... brrr..

Congrats, Leigh!.. I'm really excited for you!..

I thought some of you might be interested in this article from Yahoo Health... just another reason we're doing our bodies good with IP...

Quote:
Another Reason to Stay Away from Processed Carbs
By Margaret Furtado, M.S., R.D.
Oct 22, 2010

A recent Johns Hopkins study has shown that people who overindulged in simple (or processed) carbohydrates like white and brown sugars, fruit sugars, corn syrup, honey, and candy, were significantly more likely to be adversely affected by inflammation.

Inflammation is a general response the body makes when the immune system signals the presence of harmful foreign invaders. These foreign substances can include bacteria, viruses, damaged cells--and now, apparently, simple carbohydrates. And although inflammation normally leads to repair and healing of damaged tissues, when inflammation is chronic (as can happen when too many simple carbs are consumed regularly) it can increase one's risk for a whole host of medical problems, as well as for an earlier death.

Okay, it may not be a news flash that simple or "processed" carbs can be bad for us but, at the very least, this study's results should remind us once again to watch what we're putting into our mouths during meals.

Too many simple carbs = Inflammation

Dr. Michelle Bellantoni and her colleagues at Johns Hopkins Medicine studied 1,500 men and 1,200 women and found that the participants who overindulged in simple carbs were significantly more likely to be adversely affected by inflammation. And since diabetes and obesity are also sometimes classified as inflammatory diseases, consuming too many processed carbs might play a role in those disorders as well. Certainly, extra calories in the diet, whether from simple carbs or other sources, are a factor in obesity, and may increase the risks for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as exacerbate that condition.

What substances should we stay away from?

As much as possible, avoid foods that contain the following substances, especially if they're among the first 3 ingredients in the list:

•Enriched bleached flour. This is a completely processed food that has no nutritional value.
•Wheat flour. Yes, you read right! If it doesn't say whole wheat flour or whole grain flour, it's processed and is best left alone.
•Sugar or sucrose. (No surprises here)
•High fructose corn syrup. And don't be fooled: The Corn Refiners Association is even now trying to change the name of HFCS to the more wholesome sounding (but still nutritionally blank) "corn sugar."
•Molasses and syrups.
•Honey. It's natural, yes, but honey is still metabolized as sugar, so keep an eye on how much of it you eat.
•Any ingredient ending with "-ose" (e.g., "maltose"). It will typically be sugar.
•Anything with an "-ol" ending (e.g., "sorbitol"). These are typically sugar alcohols, also called "non-nutritive sweeteners," and they often turn up in sugar-free gums, as well as some candies and protein bars. Since scientists estimate that our bodies can only absorb about half the calories in the sugar alcohols we eat, the undigested "-ols" left in the body can cause GI upset in the form of gas, bloating, and even diarrhea. In other words, don't try products containing these non-nutritive sweeteners for the first time on a camping trip or while at work!

What should we buy?

Remember to look for products that list "100 percent whole wheat" or "100 percent whole grain" as the first ingredient. Also, pick foods that contain at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. Occasional consumption of simple carbs is probably okay, but eating them frequently might throw off your weight-loss efforts and negatively affect your overall health.
hugs
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 241/190/125

Height: 5'1 ... started IP 08/13/10

Hello friends!!!!!!!

I haven't been on in awhile! Just soooo busy at work! sigh... Hope everyone is doing well!

Leigh - a huge congrats to you! Wow! so exciting!

Everyone else! Take care!

Candace
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #23  
Sandy

S/C/G: 188/154/140

Height: 5'6"

Turnip Fries- I have given up on getting truly crispy "fries"....but I do enjoy these! I have tried broiling and baking. They are a spicy snack that are pretty yummy. I just toss mine in EVOO and seasonings then bake. My BF even eats them! Mmmmm, maybe I will make some tonight...seems like I have a turnip or two floating around in my vegetable drawer!

I did the same thing. A little EVOO and some different spices. By the time they were getting a little crispy, they were burning. Still a good change for a snack. Same thing with the turnip "chips".
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #24  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Height: 5'9"

Default Carbs going up

If they wanted to make the transition less painful, they could simply remove the clause "Please note: it is strongly recommended that no restricted foods are consumed during a dieter’s first 2-3 weeks for maximum results." from the phase 1 sheet. All they would have to do is encourage the use of the restricted packets to reduce cravings.

Last edited by tedski; 11-11-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #25  

Default IP Daily Chat - Tues. 9 Nov. 2010

I am new to IP ~ gearing up for my first weigh in!

I've enjoyed reading through so many helpful comments.

Does anyone know if the snack must be eaten after dinner? I have been having it with dinner as my dessert. If it needs to be eaten separately, I would prefer to have it in the afternoon. Is that allowed?

Thanks again for such incredible information from so many!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #26  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Linden!!! The 140s feel fabulous. I'm so happy for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Good grief, Sheila. What ungodly hour do you get up? Regardless, thanks over and over again for doing this. And good morning to you as I say good night.
I hope you are sleeping well. I'm suffer from PTSD which in cases like mine is severe and REM sleep never comes, so I sleep in little bouts of 45 -90 min periods then I wake. When I can't fall back to sleep I find things to keep me busy to keep my head in a good place...so opening up the threads is actually a good thing for me. PS. When I open them ungodly early I don't post the thread is closed message because I know you are still awake out there in lovely Hawaii. I was in Maui earlier this year and cannot wait to go back for another visit.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop in and say I won't be doing IP for at least the next nine months. Found out Saturday that I'm pregnant! Due date is July 17, 2011. So, I'm gonna pack away my IP stuff and I'll see ya'll next year.
Congrats!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #27  
Started IP 6/23/10

S/C/G: 236.6/193/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperGal View Post
I am new to IP ~ gearing up for my first weigh in!

I've enjoyed reading through so many helpful comments.

Does anyone know if the snack must be eaten after dinner? I have been having it with dinner as my dessert. If it needs to be eaten separately, I would prefer to have it in the afternoon. Is that allowed?

Thanks again for such incredible information from so many!
My coach and IP sheets recommend having the snack after lunch and before dinner. Myself, I usually have it an hour after dinner. Sometimes I have to cram it in right before bed. Weight loss continues. Recently I have started a Zumba class and I have my snack right after the class to give my body a little more to feel on. Most trainers want you to eat something of substance immediately after a workout. The hour after a workout is the highest calorie burning time.

So your snack can be consumed just about anytime. There is nothing wrong with having at your dessert shortly after dinner. Give a bit of time for your body to process your dinner before putting the snack on top of it. Especially good if you are a night time snacker. Recommendation...chop any one of the bars into smaller bite sizes pieces and freeze them. They are yummey and one gets that hand to mouth repetition so I feels like you are eating more. Enjoy!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #28  

Quote:
Hey guys,

That's great!! Good luck to you and yours.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #29  

NSV after yesterday's 3rd weigh in...I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks, and no one has noticed that I haven't told, until yesterday. My neighbor said, "have you been loosing weight? You look really good." In my face, stomach and all over she said. I hugged her with tears in my eyes because I'm so happy to have found IP and made the choice after debating about it for a year, to actually do it. I'm still really new, but Welcome to PepperGal. I eat my rasberry jello at night now instead of going to Dairy Queen Makes a great night treat.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 196.8/152.2/130

Height: 5"0'

I was looking at the recipes in the recipe threads and a lot of them have onions in them... I thought cooked onions where a no-no... is it only fried onions that are the issue or is it recipies for stage 3 and 4?? I have been avoiding adding them to my soup broths and roasts... is it OK to add them in for flavour??
Closed Thread