Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #61  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Witty? Oh. Yeah. Ummm. I guess you thought I was joking. [Covet, covet, covet, covet, covet. Hen and weight lose.
just keep on loosing.......
Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #62  
Lorrie

S/C/G: 280/191/200

Height: 5' 8"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
There's no consensus, as far as I can tell. Nor total agreement about how to compute carbs. Here's my take.

Forget net carbs; count only real carbs. To do that you have to check everything. Labels don't tell the whole story. I measure everything, in grams or ounces for liquids, and use this website to do it. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Then (it seems to me) each person's tolerance of carbs/what number of carbs allows for losing, differs. Here's what works for me:

700 -- 800 calories;

100+ grams of protein;

25 -- 27 grams of lipids which includes 2gr from fish oil gels; 9 -- 13.5 grams from 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of olive oil; .48 from 162 grams of Romaine; .45 -- 1.5 from vegetables; 10 or fewer from meat or fish;

22-25 grams of carbs (includes carbs from vinegar, IP packets, lettuce, and vegetables; and

100 plus ounces of water.

I've had to fine tune this kind of carefully to get a lose; and it doesn't factor in level of activity or exercise.

This is probably more than you want to know but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is no simple answer. I really wish there were.
Linden:

Wow ----- this is the best reply that I have had yet to any questions I have posted on this site! Thanks a bunch --- the info was VERY helpful!!! Greatly appreciated --- best of luck to you!!!!

L
Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #63  

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteandcute View Post
You two just cracked me up!! Well, I'll tell you guys how I feel about the determined chick: If anyone deserves the determined chick it is Linden. I gladly share it with her and only her. (Like I have exclusive rights to the determined chick.) By the way my determination has come in handy the past 5 months. If I were the witty person I wish I were I would have written something witty.
I agree without reservation that Linden deserves the determined chick! keep marching to the right little chicks!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #64  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
I agree without reservation that Linden deserves the determined chick! keep marching to the right little chicks!
Aww go on, you two chicklets. I'm just stubborn.

Last edited by Linden; 11-07-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #65  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginBAM View Post
Good morning all,

Pumkyparry thanks for the pancakes out of the Crispy Cereal just tried it this morning it was really good.
Happy you liked the recipe...I knew after I ate the 1st package as "cereal" UGH, I would be making it into something...we're a creative bunch here! Good for you being back on track...

Marilyn
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #66  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

I can not eat the ceral as "cereal". How do you make pancakes? I haven't made any pancakes. I make muffins with the choc. pancake mix. I have a bottle of WF maple syrup in the ref. Over the months when I wanted a different sweet item I would eat a few teaspoons of syrup. I would like to use my cereal. Thank you, Judy
Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 187/152/145

Height: 5'4"

OK, I have a problem........

I was looking at my sheet last night, and TURNIP is on my approved vegetable list, but RUTABAGA is on the occasional list.

Are a turnip and a rutabaga not the same thing? The grocery store tells me they are the same thing.

I eat a lot of turnips.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Veggie questions in mind while browsing other haunts led me to this gem:

Low carb vegetable recipes

The recipes are 0 - 10 net carbs, net carbs is provided next to the recipe on the main page. Each recipe has an estimate of fat, carbs, fiber, protein. Another great feature of her main listing page are the estimates for "hands-on time" and "overall start to finish time."
What a great website! I've definitely put that in my favourites. Let me add my thanks for all the research, encouragement and humour that you add to this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post

I was looking at my sheet last night, and TURNIP is on my approved vegetable list, but RUTABAGA is on the occasional list.

Are a turnip and a rutabaga not the same thing? The grocery store tells me they are the same thing.

I eat a lot of turnips.
I'm not sure, but I think this might be one of those Canada/US things. Maybe it's a difference in size? I wondered about it too - Safeway (and my mom) says they are the same thing. I LOVE the turnip. I found a recipe in the recipe thread that says to slice it into 1/4 inch slices, brush with EVOO, sprinkle with sea salt and bake 20 minutes at 400. Delicious! Definitely a good alternative to potato.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post

I eat a lot of turnips.
According to Wikipedia, a rutabaga is a cross between cabbage & turnip... not sure why it'd be less approved than a plain ol' turnip, but I'd guess maybe it has more carbs...

hugs
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #70  

This is what I found searching rutabaga vs turnip:

Answer: A rutabaga was called a Swede or yellow turnip, until 1967 when its name was changed to avoid confusion with the turnip. Rutabagas are larger, yellow fleshed with a purple top and are usually waxed for winter storage.

A turnip is a smaller cousin of the rutabaga. It has white flesh, with a purple trimming. It has a sharper taste and is most frequently available during the summer before the new crop of rutabaga.

Now the question is what have I been eating - rutabaga or turnip? I'm not sure if you'd call the flesh white or yellow - it seemed more white when raw, but turned more yellow once baked. Definitely had a purple skin.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #71  

Oh oh. Just checked the one in my fridge and it only has a purple top. So it looks like it's a rutabaga. That veggie carb site that I'm Svelting found says it's only 1 net carb difference from turnip, so I think I'll still use this one up (maybe eat a little less of it per serving). Shouldn't hurt too much, do you think?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #72  

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hNUzNNaIAA...agas%2Braw.JPG

For inquiring minds that need to know....
The big one is a rutabaga and the small one with the stalk is a turnip.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #73  

Regarding the Turnip/Rutabaga.....Last night I bought one that said turnip under it and it was white with a purple top. I sliced it into flat circles, put on Olive oil and salt and baked it. The middle of them was ok, but the outside was crunchy as in hard to eat. I might not have cooked them long enough. As far as zuchinni, I never thought I would like it, but I've done what the recipe threads say to do on baking it, and I was craving it last night really bad! I am so glad it wasn't brownies or something ick like normal! I have my WI tomorrow and I'll keep you posted. I'm worried because my scale doesn't show much of a move Hopefully things will get moving soon. Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #74  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Default rutabaga vs turnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
This is what I found searching rutabaga vs turnip:

Answer: A rutabaga was called a Swede or yellow turnip, until 1967 when its name was changed to avoid confusion with the turnip. Rutabagas are larger, yellow fleshed with a purple top and are usually waxed for winter storage.

A turnip is a smaller cousin of the rutabaga. It has white flesh, with a purple trimming. It has a sharper taste and is most frequently available during the summer before the new crop of rutabaga.

Now the question is what have I been eating - rutabaga or turnip? I'm not sure if you'd call the flesh white or yellow - it seemed more white when raw, but turned more yellow once baked. Definitely had a purple skin.
Thanks for the info kaarin. I was wondering about the difference myself and everyone I asked seemed to think they were the same thing. Glad to have that cleared up but it looks like only rutabagas are available at my grocery store-turnips are now out of season?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #75  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

I have seen a lot of mention of "miracle noodles" but I can't seem to find them. I live in a small town so my grocery store is limited. I live near the US border so I can shop "across" but that is also a small town. I looked on Netrition but didn't see them there. Help?
Closed Thread