Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #1  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Question Surgery & IP

Has anyone had surgery while being on IP? Is it recommended to go off plan because you need nutrients to heal? I'm starting to think about having a breast reduction done in February and wanted to know how it would affect the program. Thanks for any input you might have! :-)
Mrs Diettrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with staying on plan, but check with your plastic surgeon.

FYI - I had a breast reduction in January of 2009, and it was the best thing I ever did.
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

I had been on IP for 6 weeks and had surgery. I had a disc removed from my neck and a spacer and plate put in. I took my bars and RTD shakes with me for my stay in the hospital. I ordered exactly what I needed at meal time and did not go off plan at all. I took my supplements with me. I healed great - I was home in a couple of days and just kept on with the plan as if I had nothing done. I followed the surgeons orders exactly regardng lifting, going to work, etc. I was off 12 weeks, but I could have gone back earlier if the Dr. had released me.

One more thing - I lost nothing in my breasts until I had been on the program over 3 months. I am still losing in that area. I went from a 44 DDD to a 36C and I still have 45 pounds to lose. Just something to think about.

Last edited by rosemary2612; 11-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.
rosemary2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary2612 View Post
One more thing - I lost nothing in my breasts until I had been on the program over 3 months. I am still losing in that area. I went from a 44 DDD to a 36C and I still have 45 pounds to lose. Just something to think about.
That very thing has been crossing my mind a lot Rosemary, and it will definitely be something that I talk to the plastic surgeon about. The thing that I don't want is to have little flat breasts that are hanging down to my waist. I'm a 38DD right now, never had children or breastfed, and while insurance will pay for a reduction now, they won't pay for a lift later! I'd rather have the reduction done now and whatever I'm left with when I'm done with IP, I'll be okay with. I've been hauling these ladies around for 18 years - I'm ready to be done! And I wouldn't be doing it until January or February anyway - more time to lose weight.

Thank you so much for your input ladies!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylew View Post
I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with staying on plan, but check with your plastic surgeon.

FYI - I had a breast reduction in January of 2009, and it was the best thing I ever did.
Thanks Amy! Two of my coworkers have had theirs done in the last year and a half and they've said the same thing. I was originally planning on waiting until after we were done having kids because I didn't know what breastfeeding would do to reduced breasts, but at this point in time, I don't see the kid thing working out. Getting surgery done now will be the high point of that.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/152/145

Height: 5'4"

I am having surgery at the end of this month and was concerned about protocol. Mine being that I have to fast for 3 days prior (has to do with my bowels)
I may very well go out of ketosis, but am thinking I will still lose weight :S

I might have a bit of a cheat prior to the 3 day fast as well. I am scared of how hungry I will be.
Medicmom734 is offline   Reply With Quote