IP Daily Chat - Fri. 5 Nov. 2010

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • WELCOME, freeatlast, I'm glad you've found this website AND that you've discovered from the very beginning what it's real value is. Try to read everything. I know there's a lot of chit-chat, and you can fly over that. But the collective knowledge here is just invaluable.
  • Quote: I have been totally blessed by this food plan, the friends I have made on here, and the ability to use the two together to stay on this plan. It isn't magic - I just stay on track and everything takes care of itself. The weight is all of a sudden working hard on my waist and the hanging tummy. I guess that is why I fit into smaller jeans. Whatever it is - I am sure cutting my heart attack percentages and insulin shots. So I guess that there are more results with IP than weight lose. I love your sense of humor.
    I am so glad to hear another diabetic say that finally they are losing their tummy! That looks like all I have left! I have no behind, no arms, no chest...just tummy left! It is much better than it was, but you know how stubborn that belly can be! I am off all insulin now just using Symlin and metformin. Congrats....and hooray for finally fitting into smaller jeans!
  • Hello Everyone!!

So happy its Friday, but also a little scared - this will be my first weekend on IP. Wish my luck! It will be hard because we always take my dad out for Sunday Brunch - and its "small town" sunday brunch, which means usually no veggies, just grease and carbs! Are eggs ok to eat?? my sheet really doesnt say. I guess I will have to eat before I go, and drink lots of water while i'm there! Afterall - I'm there for the visiting, not the grease!

I am on day 3 now, and the first day I had some problems with the food....the Cappaccino was GREAT!!! (Thinking: I can do this!!!) Then I tried the cream of chicken soup.....ugh!!!! Could not even choke it down!!! (Thinking: Uh OH!!! Maybe not!!) Followed by the butterscotch pudding. (blech!) I also had a really bad headache, and felt a little weasy...so that made it hard to want to try anything else! But, I chugged a few bottles of water and powered through a Chocolate Drink (YUM!) YES! I CAN DO THIS!!!

Wow - talk about long winded....

Ever get that feeling that you just have to shout something from the rooftops?? I am so excited to be on my way to a healthier me!!!
  • Yes, that's an awesome feeling Lesley!! I, like you, am sooo scared of the weekends. During the week, since I work in an office with no food, is much easier for me.
  • freeatlast - I've been IPing for a little less than two weeks and I'm still struggling with low energy. Don't have much of an appetite, but my energy level has not gotten back to normal yet.

Today is definitely one of those low energy days. I snuck a peek at the scale this morning (bad, I know) and it hasn't moved since my official weigh-in on Tuesday. I'm hoping I'll have a big drop over the weekend.

Also, found a great new treat (and an excellent way to get in my olive oil). Sliced a large turnip into thin slices and tossed it in a bowl with my 2 tsp olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Spread them on a cookie sheet lined with foil and baked for about 25 minutes at 375. Made a great potato substitute!
  • Quote: Hello Everyone!!

So happy its Friday, but also a little scared - this will be my first weekend on IP. Wish my luck! It will be hard because we always take my dad out for Sunday Brunch - and its "small town" sunday brunch, which means usually no veggies, just grease and carbs! Are eggs ok to eat?? my sheet really doesnt say. I guess I will have to eat before I go, and drink lots of water while i'm there! Afterall - I'm there for the visiting, not the grease!

I am on day 3 now, and the first day I had some problems with the food....the Cappaccino was GREAT!!! (Thinking: I can do this!!!) Then I tried the cream of chicken soup.....ugh!!!! Could not even choke it down!!! (Thinking: Uh OH!!! Maybe not!!) Followed by the butterscotch pudding. (blech!) I also had a really bad headache, and felt a little weasy...so that made it hard to want to try anything else! But, I chugged a few bottles of water and powered through a Chocolate Drink (YUM!) YES! I CAN DO THIS!!!

Ever get that feeling that you just have to shout something from the rooftops?? I am so excited to be on my way to a healthier me!!!
    Weekends were difficult for me at first, too. The routine during the week helps me to breeze through, but weekends are another story. What I found that helped me was to plan meals out, take advantage of any opportunity to "move", keep busy. And come back hear a read if you're feeling deprived.

Eggs are definitely okay on IP. While I was on vacation last week, I loaded up my plate with scrambled eggs for breakfast every morning. Sometimes I added a little salsa. But, you're right - it's the people you're with that's important. That's something to keep in mind this time of year as we head into the holidays.
  • Celery root
    Hi all.
    I have been really enjoying celery root................
    I just started RE-reading Dr. Tran's "book", now that I have been on IP for 4.5 weeks I thought it would be good to review now that I understand what is going on.
    On the "no-no" list is celery root (celoric i am not spelling that right sorry) I guess because it is a root? Insight here please? *sigh* i love it (so that probably means a no no right? haha )
  • Quote: Hi all.
    I have been really enjoying celery root................
    I just started RE-reading Dr. Tran's "book", now that I have been on IP for 4.5 weeks I thought it would be good to review now that I understand what is going on.
    On the "no-no" list is celery root (celoric i am not spelling that right sorry) I guess because it is a root? Insight here please? *sigh* i love it (so that probably means a no no right? haha )
    Quote directly from Dr. Tran Tien website http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?article255

Allowed Vegetables

Vegetables
    Lettuce, radishes, green beans, white and red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, leek, endive, spinach, Swiss chard, zucchini, green pepper, eggplant, fennel, cardoon, celeriac, mushrooms, asparagus, sorrel, cucumber.
  • Not all roots are disallowed. We are permitted turnips, celeriac, radishes, ect. It's all based on their glycemic index rating. Roots that are high in starch are the no-no's. Potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, ect.

Lesley you'll find the packets you like and will thrive on them. My coach told me today that every single one of her clients likes the Chocolate Drink, and she has to make sure to always have it in stock!

I agree about the chicken soup, so what I do to make it palatable is throw 1-2 cups of veggies into the Cuisinart and put the soup mixture and the cold water in and blend it, then heat it up. The soup takes on the flavor of whatever veggies you use, and it's filling and an easy way to get the full amount of vegetables at lunch. Asparagus is good, so is raw celery, and so are almost all leftover vegetables like bok choy if you have some from the day before. I also like to sprinkle cayenne on it, but that's a personal preference and not everyone likes hot food.
  • Had my WI this afternoon - after gaining two pounds early in the week I was down net 1.8 pounds since last Friday. I'll take it!

It occurred to me that with these rainy cold cloudy days I am getting outside less, moving less, and my metabolism is slowing down. Since I can't change the weather, I guess I am even more grateful for IP as we enter the SEASON OF TRADITIONAL OVEREATING !!!

Yes, folks, for me it lasted from November till Spring. Throw in most of the family birthdays (7), and it was a guaranteed eating-fest. This year (and next) I look forward to doing it differently.

For me this is not just about losing weight but about fundamentally changing both my habits and my identity as a compulsive overeater.
  • MADE MY ORIGINAL GOAL.....at my weigh in today I was totally surprised to see that I now weigh 159-1/2 lbs.....a total weigh loss of 62-1/4 lbs.

Am I thrilled? YES Am I finished? NO .......I plan to set a new goal somewhere in the 140's and stay with IP thru November and December, thereby insuring that this will be the first year I haven't gained about 25 lbs making and eating Christmas cookies from Nov to Mar!!!! lol

Isn't IP the VERY best?

Marilyn
  • Quote: Happy Friday everyone!!! Has anyone ever heard of a pregnant person doing IP? My coach had made mention to having a pregnant patient that is on the diet to stay away from gestational diabetes but I was wondering if anybody knew if any pregnant woman can do it, and if would there be any changes in their particular diet? I should be getting a blood test next week to find out if my daughter is going to be a big sister!!
    There is another thread that should be on the front page that is headed "Pregnancy and IP" that you should check out. My coach told me (and what I have read on here) is that you are not allowed to stay on IP while pregnant - there is no way you are consuming enough nutrients for that baby to grow! This is the first time in a year and a half that I am hoping to NOT get pregnant. I want to get the weight off first!
  • Quote: Quote directly from Dr. Tran Tien website http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?article255

Allowed Vegetables

Vegetables
    Lettuce, radishes, green beans, white and red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, leek, endive, spinach, Swiss chard, zucchini, green pepper, eggplant, fennel, cardoon, celeriac, mushrooms, asparagus, sorrel, cucumber.
    My IP sheet lists tomato, green beans and eggplant as "occassional" veggies.

Lesley-Check your sheet under "Dinner Protien-Poultry" You can have 2 whole eggs but they count as your meat serving for the day.

I am on day 3 now, and the first day I had some problems with the food....the Cappaccino was GREAT!!! (Thinking: I can do this!!!) Then I tried the cream of chicken soup.....ugh!!!! Could not even choke it down!!
    Try diluting the soup with MSG free chicken broth, it really makes the cream of chicken soup much better.