Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #1  

Question Ideal Protein Food Selection

I am new to the Ideal Protein Plan. I am trying to make my food selections. I would greatly appreciate feedback from others. Are there any flavors that are better than others, any to stay away from etc. I hate to purchase an entire box of a flavor that I won't like!!!

Thanks in advance for any information I can get!
nicholesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/190/125

Height: 5'1 ... started IP 08/13/10

Hello and WELCOME to IP!!!!

This is a tough question, as it depends on your own prefernces of tastes! Personally, I like the chocolate drink, the RTD vanilla and chocolate (yummy), and the omelet! Sadly.. those are the only ones I buy!

If you are more into soups - the chicken soup is good.. However, I like the convenience of something ready to go!

Good luck and post to let us know how you are doing!
candace5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #3  

Some places let you buy individual packets. I'd check and see if yours allows it. If so, experiment with what you think you'd like. Tastes vary a lot. I love the omelet but think I've read that others can't stand it. I also use a lot of the puddings and mix them for drinks. I would recommend getting soup too. They are great for either adding veggies or using as a base sauce. Good luck!
100ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #4  

TRhanks for the help!!!
nicholesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #5  

If your place lets you buy individual packets, try everything once. And, consider trying them again later. I didn't like the cereal at first -- too bland -- so I used a chai type tea instead of water. Now, 3.5 months later, I like the cereal better plain than "tarted up."
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #6  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default My review of Ideal Protein foods

If you want to keep to the lowest carb, stick to the drinks, puddings, and soups. All the restricted stuff has a lot more carbs (relatively - 15 vs 3-5). There is a bunch I haven't tried, due to wanting to keep carbs as low as possible. Below is my review of the ones I've tried.

Best drinks:
1) Wildberry Yogurt Drink - 5 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - I really like this. You have to let it sit in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes, to let it really get chill and let the little berry-bits rehydrate. One of my favorite breakfast drinks!
2) Blueberry, Cranberry, Pomegranate - 2 carb, 18 protein
3) Pina Colada Smoothie - 3 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - good if really chilled

OK drinks:
4) Orange Drink Mix - 0.3 fat, 4 carb, 18 protein - kind of like a sweet Orange Julius, maybe *too* sweet
5) Pink Lemonade - 4 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - taste isn't bad, but the frothy texture isn't appealing

Icky drinks:
1) Pineapple Banana Drink - 4 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - just chemically yuck.
2) Peach Mango Drink - 5 carb, 20 protein - don't remember why I didn't like this, just won't buy it again.
3) Cappuccino drink - kind of... textured. And overheats fast in the microwave. OK for variety, but...

Best Puddings (realize, I don't like chocolate):
1) Strawberry - 1 carb, 1 fat, 18 protein - makes about 15% more than the other mixes, and I like it a little frosty after it's been in the freezer about 45 minutes. My absolute favorite!
2) Butterscotch - 2 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - truly yummy! A close second to strawberry.
3) Banana - 2 carb, 1 fiber, 1 fat, 18 protein - very good

OK puddings:
4) Lemon - 1 fat, 1 carb, 20 protein - lower on my list, but still okay. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon over it, it's good.
5) Vanilla - 1 fat, 2 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - OK, a bit... boring

Good Soups:
1) Chicken Soup - 1 fat, 3 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - great if you add your 2 c veggies in - I like broccoli, asparagus, & cauliflower. Steamer bags make it all fast, then just add it in!

OK Soup:
2) Mushroom - 1 fat, 2 carb, 1 fiber, 18 protein - a distant second, but OK with veggies added.

DO NOT GET THE LEEK - icky! At least, in my opinion. Even with veggies.

Other:
1) Vegetable Chili Mix - 3 fat, 13 carb, 4 fiber, 12 protein - this is DIVINE!!! I mean, seriously good, especially if you cook it on the stove, it thickens up nicely, and tastes like it has meat in it! Serve it over a bed of greens, with some celery on the size, and use it as a dip/dressing - you won't be disappointed!
2) Fine Herb & Cheese Omelet Mix - 0.5 fat, 3 carb, 1 fiber, 20 protein - this is actually a good egg substitute. Friends say to try it with some of the veggies, makes it divine.

Icky:
Crispy Cereal - hard little pebbles in a weak, thin liquid purporting to be milk-like. One of the worst.

I have had small tastes of the Lemon Poppyseed Bar - 140 cal, 4 fat, 15 carb, 2 fiber, 15 protein - it was good!

Last edited by sgorny; 10-26-2010 at 02:18 PM.
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #7  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholesouth View Post
I am new to the Ideal Protein Plan. I am trying to make my food selections. I would greatly appreciate feedback from others. Are there any flavors that are better than others, any to stay away from etc. I hate to purchase an entire box of a flavor that I won't like!!!

Thanks in advance for any information I can get!
My favs are:
Chocoloate drink
Wildberry yogurt drink
Herb and cheese omelet
Vegetable chili
White cheddar chips (I use them with romaine to make a more realistic caesar salad)
Lemon bar

Be sure to buy several flavors of Walden Farms dressing for your salads. And keep lemons or lemon juice on hand. Lemon juice adds a lot of flavor to broccoli (since you can't have any butter). Rubbing with olive oil and grilling your vegetables makes them taste richer, too.

Best of luck. I have been on since July and have lost 50 lbs!!! I have severely underactive thyroid. I found I was really hungry for the first 6 weeks because of it, rather than the 1 week most people feel that way. The initial discomfort has been well worth the results, though.
meinenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

My favorites are:
Chocolate drink
Dark Chocolate, banana, butterscotch and vanilla pudding
Apple cinnamon soy puffs
chocolate covered soy puffs
Herb and cheese omelet
Crispy cereal
South west cheese curls

Last edited by Hollmark; 09-29-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

As others have said, everyone has different tastes, so take everything with a grain of sea salt.

Because of my weight, my coach has me on 4 packets a day.Luckily, she sells by the packet so its easy to try everything with no risk. YEAH!

But if I bought 4 boxes this week, they would be:
1 box Omlette (Herb & Cheese)
1 box Bars (White Chocolate Crunch)
1 box Chicken Soup
1 box Chocolate Shake

If I had one more box to take it would be the Vanilla Pudding to make the hot and cold Chai Tea/ Chai Frappuccinos.

My favourites are:
1. Omelettes:
Tastes great prepared as instructed (though a little rubbery), but if your coach allows 2 egg whites to be added (instead of water), they are AMAZING. Very versitile... I have made zucchini pancakes, egg foo young, mock french toast and other varients with the omlettes and its my favourite, most filling of the meals.

2. Bars (restricted):
I have loved every single bar I have tasted. My favourites have been the White Choco Crunch (new), Vanilla Peanut Bar, and Cookies & Cream

3. Soups:
Most people on this board seem to hate the soups, but I think they are excellent. Chicken is by far the best, but I enjoy them all. I almost always add 2x the water (cold! Then heat in microwave. Or you will have protein lumps) and then add in 1.5-2 cups of cauliflower (makes it super thick) and/or brocolli (gives a good taste. I most often add both.)

I only had the Tomato Basil twice (with no additions of veggies) and liked the flavor a lot.

This is my favourite thing to take to work. I blender the cauliflower/brocolli in the chicken soup til it is VERY thick and creamy, then take it with me to microwave. The portion is huge that way (remember, doubling the water) and its very thick, so I can savor each spoonful into a meal instead of just slurping it down.

4. Drinks
Chocolate is by far my favourite and I like blending it with Orange or Cappucino. (Put 2 packets in a container, shake up, then scoop out half for your daily portion.) I put 2 cups of water in, plus ice to make 2-3 huge, foamy glasses to help me fill more full without sacrificing flavor.

This is also excellent as hot chocolate, but I use less than my doubled amount of water for a more intense flavor.

I like all the other drinks except for Pink Lemonade which has a funny aftertaste to me.

Pina Colada, Orange, and Peach/Mango are the best of the others. Pineapple Banana is a bit fake and Wildberry Yogurt isnt really yogurt or berry, but ok. Cappucino has a bit of a fake taste, but I like it blended with the chocolate.

I always make with extra water and add ice to make a foamy Orange Julius type of smoothie. Because it foams up, that helps with feeling full. I dont feel as full if I just put it in the shaker with the recommended amount of water.

The Blueberry, Cranberry, Pom was a nice surprise. Its tart... not sweet... so satisfies a different craving without making you want more of something sweet. I drink that at night, as I dont find its filling enough for a meal, but is great for a night snack.

Puddings
I dont like any of the puddings by themselves. Not big enough portions and a bit of a chalky taste. Suprisingly, I like the regular chocolate better than the dark chocolate (I am a dark choco person.)

The only puddings I would buy as a whole box is the butterscotch (which makes an unbelievable Caramel Frappuccino) and vanilla which makes a killer hot or cold Chai (using 2 teabags of herbal tea (like Bengal Spice) instead of plain water) or can be make into a vanilla shake if you add 1 packet of Truvia or other approved coffee sweetener.

Jell-o
The raspberry jelly tastes just like Jell-o. I like making up a batch and eating portions throughout the day. Very good "craving" food if you need to add 1 packet to help with hunger at the start of the diet.

Soy Snacks (restricted)
I would always prefer to have a bar instead of another restricted, but have found that I really like these for taking to the movies.

The southwest cheese puffs are my favourite because it has quite a large portion in the bag and there is some nice heat.

Apple Cinnamon Soy Puffs are a new favourite. Good portion and tastes like apple jacks. Great for munching watching TV or taking to work.

I choose not to take the chocolate soy puffs anymore. They are REALLY great, but for some reason they make me crave more sweets and want to eat more rather than satisfying the sweet tooth. The portion is very small, too. But the taste is one of the best.

Salt and Vinegar ridges are also a favourite taste, but the portion is fairly small for a restricted product, so though I love them, I often choose something else.

Would NOT buy
Orange Pancakes (didnt cook right for me 2x I made them. Also restricted and too sweet)
Garlic Soy nuts/ Soy nuts BBQ. (small portion. Not my taste of flavor)

You can also get some ideas of how to use the products and which are the most versitile from my Facebook page of recipes and pix. (Link in my signature) Hopefully that will spark some ideas.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #10  
strated IP Sept.26 2011

S/C/G: 266/173.8/180

Height: 5'9

Thanks for the facebook page link. I'm new as well and there are some great recipe ideas that I would never have thought to try and will definately help liven up the boring meals i've been having. I think it'll be one of my new favorite pages.
frazzledmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzledmom04 View Post
Thanks for the facebook page link. I'm new as well and there are some great recipe ideas that I would never have thought to try and will definately help liven up the boring meals i've been having. I think it'll be one of my new favorite pages.
Thanks! I try to update it with at least 2 recipes and pix a week, so hopefully you'll continue to find things to eat to make this diet feel like you are eating WELL and not compromising or suffering.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I didn't like the cereal as a cereal but one of my favorite things is when I make it into a pancake..
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #13  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

It really varies by each person. A good friend that is on IP told me how much he loved the crepes and pancakes, I thought they tasted like devils spit. I couldn't even eat a bite of either of them. I've burned myself out a bit on the Eggs, but once a week I can still enjoy them. I do like the Oatmeal with Cinnamon or some WF syrup.

I'm good with all the puddings except for that stuff called Lemon Pledge Furniture Spray AKA Lemon Pudding. Had that my for my first item, nearly thought I was going to quit the diet before I even started. Learned the Dark Chocolate pudding should be mixed with 6-7 oz of water not 5, unless you enjoy eating powdered chalk.

The drink mixes are all pretty good I think; two favs are the Cappuccino and Wild Berry Yogurt, I usually order a box of Cappuccino and mix all the others up throughout the week.

I like all the bars, but I could live on the Vanilla Peanut Butter and be a very happy man. I also really enjoy the BBQ ridges, a bit strong but a winner IMHO. Pretty much liked all the snacks, didn't care for the soy nuts though. Puffs are all good.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

My favorite is the Raspberry Jelly. I think I've had that every night since starting IP. It's basically Jello, and I make the whole weeks worth ahead and enjoy it on the couch while hubby has his evening snack. It actually tastes just like Jello.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/142/142

Height: 5'4.5"

My favorite go-to, look-forward-to-it treat is the Ready to Drink Chocolate Shake. I put it in a Magic Bullet cup with about 1/2 c. crushed ice, 1 t. Salted Caramel sugar-free syrup & blend. So yummy. Sometimes if I need something extra in the afternoon, I'll blend left over coffee with crushed ice, 2-3 T RTD vanilla shake, sugar free syrup & blend. The only two things I've tried that absolutely repulsed me were the lemon pudding and the dill pickle thingies. The only savory IP product I buy is the SW Cheese Curls. I have the soy puffs, bars and RTD drinks on hand at all times.
samyswan is offline   Reply With Quote