Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #1  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Hair Loss

I posted in the daily thread a couple days but didn't really get a lot of input, so I will try again here...

Just wondering from those who have experienced/are experiencing hair loss...

I have been losing a LOT of hair for almost a month and a half now. Just wondering from people who have lost hair as well how long it lasted before it stopped... I started with THICK hair so I wasn't too worried, but now I'm starting to get a little worried the thinner my hair gets. Thanks.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #2  

Default Hair loss, telogen effluvium, explanation

The phenomenon is called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress. Dr. Michael Eades (the Mister Doctor of the couple who wrote Protein Power) wrote about VLC (very low carb) diets and hair loss on his blog in November 2007. This post refers to a specific diet that isn't IP but the information about the process is still useful. I can't post the link because 3FC censors the name of the diet and the Dr. Eades uses the name in the page address.

If you Google < michael eades blog "telogen effluvium" > his blog post is the first result. He responded to every commenter for 15 months! And he's very encouraging about temporary nature of the hair loss.

note: cross posted from the daily chat thread, because, that post will get buried fairly quickly.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Hair loss and hair cut:

Saw my dermatologist this morning. For hair loss she recommends Rogaine for Men 5% solution used twice a day (yep 2 times).

Biotin supplement 1x daily.

She said Nioxin and Rogaine work differently. Nioxin is for thinning hair whereas Rogaine is for RE-growing hair.

She said hair loss caused by dieting is common and to expect at least 6 months before hair fully grows back.

So... after the appt, I had my hair all chopped off. Yep, went from hair well below the shoulders, to an extremely short, layered hairstyle. I like it, but it's completely different as I've never had short hair before. I was getting tired of the hair in the sink, on the bathroom floor, in the tub drain... those who are loosing hair know what I'm talking about. Yes, my hair is still falling out, but at least it looks fuller now with all of the layers. Plus, I figure in six months it'll be grown out anyways and my new hair will be back. Change is good!

Who ever said beauty hurts???? LOL
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #4  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
Hair loss and hair cut:

Saw my dermatologist this morning. For hair loss she recommends Rogaine for Men 5% solution used twice a day (yep 2 times).

Biotin supplement 1x daily.

She said Nioxin and Rogaine work differently. Nioxin is for thinning hair whereas Rogaine is for RE-growing hair.

She said hair loss caused by dieting is common and to expect at least 6 months before hair fully grows back.

So... after the appt, I had my hair all chopped off. Yep, went from hair well below the shoulders, to an extremely short, layered hairstyle. I like it, but it's completely different as I've never had short hair before. I was getting tired of the hair in the sink, on the bathroom floor, in the tub drain... those who are loosing hair know what I'm talking about. Yes, my hair is still falling out, but at least it looks fuller now with all of the layers. Plus, I figure in six months it'll be grown out anyways and my new hair will be back. Change is good!

Who ever said beauty hurts???? LOL
Thanks!!! I can pretend the Rogaine is for Brandon, since he has Alopecia. Then I won't be embarassed buying it! LOL I just don't want to be a bald bride!!! Wedding is 9 months away! I have plenty of time!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #5  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Thanks!!! I can pretend the Rogaine is for Brandon, since he has Alopecia. Then I won't be embarassed buying it! LOL I just don't want to be a bald bride!!! Wedding is 9 months away! I have plenty of time!
I have hesitated to mention this, even if I received the advice from a licensed source. This is what he recommends, strongly, for cancer patients who have lost most or all of their hair. And he has seen remarkably good, and quick, results.

My situation: I have extremely fine hair and lost hair when I developed hypothyroidism. I have been taking this product for 4 weeks -- weeks 14 -18+ -- the time one is most likely to start losing hair. I have NOT lost hair. If anything, it might just be a little fuller. But that could be wishful thinking.

The product is Inositol Capulets, 500 mg, produced by Now Foods. Recommendation: 2 tablets, 1-3 times a day. A b-vitamin complex. I take 2 in the morning.

I hope this helps someone. It is not a recommendation, just a recounting of my personal experience.

Last edited by Linden; 11-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Hey guys, I started losing my hair in the past month. I spoke with a doctor, and he sd it is a result of stress. The term he used is "shock loss." It tends to kick in about 3mths after a major stressor. It may be that the shock to ones system with this program has the same effect.
I have fine, blonde hair to start with, and a complete inability to style it at the best of times , haha. Rather glad to hear that it could be temporary, and their are a few items out there. Forgive my ignorance, does Rogaine require a prescription?
Calgarygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
Hey guys, I started losing my hair in the past month. I spoke with a doctor, and he sd it is a result of stress. The term he used is "shock loss." It tends to kick in about 3mths after a major stressor. It may be that the shock to ones system with this program has the same effect.
I have fine, blonde hair to start with, and a complete inability to style it at the best of times , haha. Rather glad to hear that it could be temporary, and their are a few items out there. Forgive my ignorance, does Rogaine require a prescription?

Nope, no prescription necessary. If Costco is in Canada, they have the best prices.
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I have hesitated to mention this, even if I received the advice from a licensed source. This is what he recommends, strongly, for cancer patients who have lost most or all of their hair. And he has seen remarkably good, and quick, results.

My situation: I have extremely fine hair and lost hair when I developed hypothyroidism. I have been taking this product for 4 weeks -- weeks 14 -18+ -- the time one is most likely to start losing hair. I have NOT lost hair. If anything, it might just be a little fuller. But that could be wishful thinking.

The product is Inositol Capulets, 500 mg, produced by Now Foods. Recommendation: 2 tablets, 1-3 times a day. A b-vitamin complex. I take 2 in the morning.

I hope this helps someone. It is not a recommendation, just a recounting of my personal experience.
Thanks for this, Linden... I've written Inositol on my list for the next time I visit my local health food store... my hair thinning seems to have slowed down a bit & now it's starting to grow back & I've got all these short fuzzy hairs sticking up on top of my head... not cute!..

I found this article from Yahoo Green interesting, although there's not a lot of new info...

Quote:
Combat hair loss naturally
By Michelle Schoffro Cook
Posted Mon Nov 8, 2010 4:05pm PST

Looking in the mirror became a difficult experience for Janet. It seemed like every day her forehead receded further and her already thinning hair became thinner. Feeling like everyone might be criticizing her appearance she became embarrassed to go out and worried what might be causing her hair loss. Her husband Thomas had many of the same concerns. Only 42, he had noticeable baldness.

While many people wrongly assume that hair loss is a men's condition, but one in four women experiences some degree of unnatural hair loss in her lifetime. But being in good company may not ease your mind about the causes of hair loss and what you can do to slow it down or stop it altogether. Hair loss of about 50 to 100 strands daily is normal.

There can be many factors linked to accelerated hair loss, including: medications and chemotherapy, genetics, fad diets, chronic stress, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, and poor scalp circulation.

Addressing Lifestyle-Related Hair Loss

Before panicking about your hair loss, talk to your pharmacist about the side effects of any pharmaceutical drugs you may be taking. Many medications are linked with hair loss.

If your hair loss started after a low-calorie or low-fat diet, you may wish to rethink your dieting strategy. Weight loss programs should not result in hair loss; instead, choose a healthier, nutritionally sound approach.

Chronic stress or serious illness can be linked to hair loss. Make a serious effort to reduce stress in your life and incorporate stress-reduction techniques, such as yoga, deep breathing, or meditation, into your daily routine.

Hormonal Imbalances

After genetics, hormonal imbalances are a primary culprit in hair loss. Excessive production of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) within the hair follicle appears to accelerate hair loss. DHT is driven by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase, which is produced in the prostate, adrenal glands or scalp.

Japanese researchers also link excessive sebum production in the scalp to high levels of 5-alpha reductase. Their research indicated that animal fat intake may increase sebum production. Reducing consumption of hydrogenated and saturated fats, along with refined sugar and flour, and processed foods may be helpful to reduce hair loss.

A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine reported that saw palmetto (serenoa repens) may increase hair growth in men. Hair growth improved in men taking 400 mg of a standardized extract of saw palmetto and 100 mg of beta-sitosterol (from saw palmetto) daily. Historically, saw palmetto has been used by herbalists for hair loss in both men and women.

An underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can cause thinning hair. Adding sea vegetables like kelp, nori, dulse, kombu, and wakame, all of which are rich in iodine may be helpful to balance this condition. Avoid drinking tap water since it typically contains fluorine and chlorine, two chemicals that inhibit iodine absorption. You may also want to supplement with 100 mg or 1 mL of the herb bladderwrack (focus vesiculosus) daily. Medium-chain triglycerides found in coconut oil and coconut milk can help reset the thyroid gland as well.

Many menopausal women often experience thicker hair with the use of natural progesterone to help balance hormones.

Nutritional Deficiencies

Be sure to eat varied, well-rounded, and regular meals that include plenty of vegetables, beans, nuts, fish, and lean poultry. Essential fatty acids from walnuts, flaxseeds, fish, and avocado are also important for healthy hair.

Biotin encourages hair and scalp health. Dietary sources of biotin include: nuts, brown rice, and oats. Iron is also essential for hair growth and can be found in red meat but is also available in blackstrap molasses, green leafy vegetables, leeks, cashews, dried fruits, figs, and berries. To help your body absorb iron, particularly vegetarian sources, you'll need vitamin C, which you can obtain from citrus fruits, strawberries, and red peppers.

Take a broad spectrum enzyme supplement with meals to assist digestion and absorption of nutrients.

A B-complex vitamin (50 mg, twice daily) can help reduce the effects of stress and contribute to healthy hair. Additional sublingual B12 may be needed to prevent hair loss. Take 200 to 400 mcg daily.

The minerals silica and zinc are also critical for hair growth. Take 500 mg of silica two times daily and 30 mg of zinc once daily.

Scalp Circulation

Rosemary essential oil has been traditionally used to increase circulation to the scalp. Add a few drops per dollop of shampoo or conditioner. Gently massage your scalp to improve circulation to the hair follicles.

Always consult your physician if you experience hair loss or any other symptom, to rule out serious conditions. And, be sure to check with your doctor before taking herbal or nutrient supplements.

Michelle Schoffro Cook, BSc, RNCP, ROHP, DNM, is an international best-selling and seven-time book author and doctor of natural medicine, whose works include: The Life Force Diet, The Ultimate pH Solution, The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan, The Phytozyme Cure, and HealthSmart News.
hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 11-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #9  
Started IP 6/23/10

S/C/G: 236.6/193/170

Height: 5'9"

I lost a lot of hair during a large and suddenly weight loss (because of illness)a couple of years ago. I had to cut my hair short because it was looking stringy. It grew back. But now I IP I've had only a little bit of hair loss. It seems to get worse for most people around the 50lbs weight loss marker. My also has a texture difference. I've been on IP since June. From my roots down to about four inches my hair is smooth and almost straight. Everything below that is rougher and has more wave. So I have a demarkation all the way around my head. Grr. There isn't a flat iron in the world to make it blend and I'm not about to cut all my hair to only fours inches. I still keep it short. Just barely below my ears and shorter/stacked in the back. In a couple of months it will all be grown out. Takes time, but honestly no one else notices unless I show it to them.
natchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/152/125

Height: 5'2

I am so suprised that more people aren't talking about this topic. I hope this hair loss thing stops soon! I read it lasted a month and a half.

YIKES! I think I'm going to buy the Inositol Caplets and Rogaine, asap. I dread brushing my hair. I am shocked at how much is coming out!!!!!!!!! I never heard about this side-effect when I signed up for IP. It seems not many people talk about it. I wonder if everyone experiences the same thing??
navy mom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Do you have an extemely low fat diet? I was losing hair (not a ton), but it seemed to be thinning. So I added in more healthy fats like avacado, nuts, olive oil and the problem has stopped.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy mom 72 View Post
I am so suprised that more people aren't talking about this topic. I hope this hair loss thing stops soon! I read it lasted a month and a half.

YIKES! I think I'm going to buy the Inositol Caplets and Rogaine, asap. I dread brushing my hair. I am shocked at how much is coming out!!!!!!!!! I never heard about this side-effect when I signed up for IP. It seems not many people talk about it. I wonder if everyone experiences the same thing??
Hey Navy Mom 72,

I saw your other post to me, if you don't mind, I will just answer here for tonight. (thanks!)

The diet does have hair loss as a side effect. There are many possible reasons but, it seems to have a lot to do with the diet causing rapid weight loss that puts our hair into a rapid state of rest and with the excess release of estrogen.

To some extent it may have to do with nutrition but, it is hard to say.

Here is what is known.

It does grow back. It usually grows back better and healthy but, can take a full year after stopping the diet for your hair to complete all the cycles enough that most people see more than just a stop of the loss. (I can see a big difference in mine and it has been 6 months. I lost enough that you could see my scalp at my crown.)

It is most common in women over 40 and, if I remember correctly, effects 11% of women dieters.

It is said, that these are women who would have experience hair loss in menopause (??? ... I can't prove that it was shared on an IP conference call.) AND it was also said, those who go through this now are not likely to have this thinning or hair loss later. (remember this diet has over 27 years of background on dieters using the plan.)

There is a protocol using the omegas and anti oxy supplements from IDEAL PROTEIN that came out recently and is supposed to help with this to some extent. ( I will try and get that and put it here.)

Many have used NIOXIN shampoo (it helps some), vitamin supplements (I liked Michael's Hair, Skin, Nails), added vitamin c, or added inositol.

If it is happening, it will run it's course and you are better off losing a lot at once because it is more likely to be related to telogen effluvium (the resting phase hair loss). It will correct itself.

I know how you feel. I told my coach "I'm not trying to be the skinny, bald girl." Guess what, it felt like I would be but, it didn't happen. I did have to use sunscreen on my scalp last summer. This year, things are much better.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #13  

My hair loss was really bad. Then I went to the health food store and bought a bag of raw pumpkin seeds.
They have no shells, so they were easy to eat...like sunflower seeds.
I had to eat 2 tablespoons every day.
My hair grew in really thick, but it was about 6 months before it was noticeable.

The seeds are high in zinc, but it could be other nutrients that help also.
And if you search for 'pumpkin seeds remedies' in the internet, you will find loads of health benefits besides hair loss.

They gave me a lot of energy and my back stopped itching too. And my dry skin went away.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/200/170

Height: 5'7"

Ok..I am going to the store for Rogaine and Biotin....my hair is really thinning..and when I brush it its in the sink and floor...
My husband talked me into stopping the program the last few weeks..
He said just give my body a rest...
I should've known better and looked up hair loss with my fellow bloggers...

I weighed in yesterday and doing well...up 3 lbs..but 1/2 of that is already off..and will be gone with a loss by next week...

Thank you everyone...I feel better now...hugs

JudoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #15  
The Dress

S/C/G: 235/223/150

As a liscensed professional, hair loss can occur from tramatic stress/ change in diet/ hormonal imbalance/and just about anything else a woman goes thru in her lifetime...yes B complex is fabulous along with your daily vitamins. Calcium is awesome for your nails and bones.2 Omega oil capsules daily are great for your eyes ( Dr Talamo/ eye surgeon in Boston told me this) and we all know the benefits on Vit C and all the other great vitamins and nutrients are bodies need to function . IF YOU GET TOO MUCH VITAMIN A DAILY -this cause hair loss. I have seen it first hand.. So NO ONE needs extra vit A in their diet..
When my young nephew was found murdered that put my body into shock, it held onto every pound and put back a few, cortisol levels went up...and I went off IP.. couldn't deal with it.. now I'm starting again....

this group is the BEST group of friends and support I have ever known!!!
Coastalcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote