3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Hair Loss

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #61

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I hope that when my hair starts to re-grow it doesn't end up looking like a mullet!
LOL! We'll be a bunch of skinny people with mullets - a new trend!

lighthouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
:)

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse101 View Post
LOL!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #63

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse101 View Post
lolol
well everything else from the 80's is back so why not!!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #64

S/C/G: 250/158/?

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I'm in the club as well. I am just at 5 months on IP with 60+ pounds lost. The hair loss started about 3-4 weeks ago and it looked exactly like when I lost hair from chemo treatment 10 years ago. I've ready the many suggestions about approaches to stem hair loss, though it seems the majority state "works for some". I'm reluctant to go chemical or even supplements because I've been happily managing the diet and I feel good about myself. But I would feel better knowing that the hair loss will not get to total baldness, that it will eventually plateau until I can get to my weight goal which is in about 30+ pounds. It is a really tough choice because I don't want to cut the diet short yet I am not sure how much more hair loss I can take. I've thought about ramping up the diet and trying to lose the last 30+ as quickly as I can but I also don't want to do irreparable damage to my hair/scalp or to bring on even faster/more hair loss.

Am also on synthroid for hypothyroid for years now ... had to up the meds midway through diet. Heard that too much/little thyroid meds can also affect hair loss. So there's that too.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the kind of hair loss that many described here but just waited it out. What happened? Did hair loss plateau or does it keep happening until you stop the diet?

Grateful for all who have been pitching into this conversation -- and my heart goes out to you.
seitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #65
IP Start Date 9/1/2014

S/C/G: 326/288.25/190

Height: 6'3"

Low Carb Diets & Hair Loss
by Julia Michelle (Demand Media)

Low-carb diets limit carbohydrate intake by removing foods such as bread, rice and pasta from the diet. These types of diet may also remove many fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Depending on the type of diet chosen, participants may consume large quantities of protein-rich foods, such as meats, eggs and dairy to compensate for the missing carbohydrates. A possible side effect of a low carb diet, according to After 50 Health, is hair loss. To understand how a low carb diet might cause hair loss, one should be aware of what hair is and how it grows.

Hair Structure

Hair is composed of two parts: the strand and the root. The root is a small bulb of living tissue that sits below the surface of the skin inside a pocket called a follicle. The follicle provides the root with nutrients and oxygen through a network of tiny blood vessels. The strand is the visible part of the hair and is non-living tissue. The strand is made of long chains of a protein called keratin and has three layers: the medulla, cortex and cuticle. The cuticle is the outer layer of the hair, it resembles layered scales and protects the cortex and medulla from damage.

Hair Growth

Hair has two growth phases: The anagen phase and the telogen phase. During the anagen, or growth, phase the hair grows steadily for two or three years. During this phase, the hair can grow as much as 1/2 inch per month, depending on heredity and other factors. During the telogen, or resting, phase the hair stops growing for up to three months. Approximately 10 percent of all hairs go into resting phase, while the remaining 90 percent stay in the growing phase. At the end of the resting period, the resting hairs go back into the anagen phase, where new hair starts growing and pushes the old hair out of the follicle.

Dieting and Hair Loss

If the dieter consumes far fewer calories than the body needs, or removes crucial nutrients, this creates stress. According to Dr. Michael Eades, the stress from restrictive diets causes more follicles than normal to go into the telogen (resting) phase. This may be because the body does not have enough calories, or nutrients, to support the growth phase. Once the stress has passed, the growth phase starts again and new hairs push out the old. If a large percentage of the hair was in telogen (or resting/dormant) phase, this results in sometimes significant hair loss. Sometimes, per Dr. Eades, the hair loss can occur months after the dieter begins eating normally, when new hair growth begins to push out the old dormant hair. This type of hair loss is called “telogen effluvium.”

Low-Carb Diets and Hair Loss

Carbohydrates are calorically dense, and removing large quantities from the diet also removes a significant source of calories. These types of diets may also create vitamin and mineral deficiencies, depending on the severity of the restriction. For example, Phase 1 of the Atkins diet allows several salad greens but only allows 20 g of carbohydrates a day — 300 g per day is the typical recommended amount. Because the number of allowed carbohydrates is so low, dieters may not consume enough fruits and vegetables to provide enough nutrients.

Conclusion

The body uses carbohydrates for energy to fuel all the processes in the body. Low-carb diets rob the body of its preferred fuel, forcing it to break down fat for energy. Additionally, these diets restrict calories by removing several foods from the diet. The combination of caloric and nutritional restriction puts the body under stress, which can cause the loss of hair.

Last edited by Avalon1957 : 12-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #66
maintaining since 9/2013

S/C/G: 244/148/145

Height: 5'4.5"

Thanks for the GREAT information Avalon!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #67

Many thanks, Avalon! That helps a lot.

Still wondering though about those who chose to wait it out. Does hair loss plateau? Given Avalon's info, it would seem that a plateau could occur when all the hair in telogen phase finishes falling out. But I suppose the question is how much hair is in the anagen phase which, from what I understand above, will not fall out?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #68
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Seitan:
That article was one opinion. I have actually found other info that the hair loss could be more about fat consumption or just overall calorie consumption. The jury seems to be out on the exact cause but it is not necessarily just due to carb restriction.

I left a longer response to your cross-post on the daily thread.

Last edited by lisa32989 : 12-15-2013 at 10:42 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #69

Thanks again, Lisa.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #70

Just wanted to add this update because I know many of us struggle with hair loss and what to do.

I had been thinking a lot about the hair loss thin (still losing) and was ready to cut the diet short (still had 35 lbs to go). Then miracle of miracles, I went to the hair salon and my normal hairdresser was unavailable. I got a woman about my age and told her about my hair loss woes and the diet. Turns out she went through a similar thing and during the process learned how to do weaves because she (like me) wasn't keen on taking extra supplements/shampoos/lotions/etc. and didn't want to stop the diet.

She gave me a great haircut with some tricks to make it seem more voluminous, and she gave me hope that if I did get to the point of hair loss being more visible then I had weaves as an option. I'm not yet at the point where I feel I need a weave, but I feel so much better about continuing on with my health goal knowing that weaves are possible in these types of circumstances.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #71
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seitan View Post
Just wanted to add this update because I know many of us struggle with hair loss and what to do.

I had been thinking a lot about the hair loss thin (still losing) and was ready to cut the diet short (still had 35 lbs to go). Then miracle of miracles, I went to the hair salon and my normal hairdresser was unavailable. I got a woman about my age and told her about my hair loss woes and the diet. Turns out she went through a similar thing and during the process learned how to do weaves because she (like me) wasn't keen on taking extra supplements/shampoos/lotions/etc. and didn't want to stop the diet.

She gave me a great haircut with some tricks to make it seem more voluminous, and she gave me hope that if I did get to the point of hair loss being more visible then I had weaves as an option. I'm not yet at the point where I feel I need a weave, but I feel so much better about continuing on with my health goal knowing that weaves are possible in these types of circumstances.
Thanks for that info Seitan, I never even considered a weave and at the point in hairloss where even in a ponytail my scalp can be seen in front. My hair was never thick to begin with and I have seriously been extremely worried about this.

Goals:
261 - Lowest Adult Weight
246 - 100 lbs Lost
202 - No Longer Obese
169 - Normal Body Weight
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #72

Hang in there clbott ... it's tough to know what to do and it can be discouraging to deal with hair loss when you've made such great choices about your health. I hadn't ever considered a weave either but am delighted that it's another option, and one that fits me. Gave me that extra boost to keep up my diet without freaking out so much about the hair. Granted, I'm still a little nervous and discouraged when another strand comes out, but I remind myself that I've got options and I'm doing good for my health. BTW I am so impressed with how much you've accomplished!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #73

I went on Maintenance the first week of November and then began losing hair. I've kept my weight steady but the hair loss has continued.

Found this info just this evening:
http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-...ng-your-hair#1

Hope it helps someone. I'm clinging to their statement regarding #15, dramatic weight loss. They indicate that after about 6 months it reverses itself. Only 2 more months to go I guess.....
smoothysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #74

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

I was losing my hair from weight loss (not IP), and found that switching to Nizerol shampoo really helped. It's an anti-fungal shampoo but the active ingredient as a side-effect helps counteract the androgen imbalance (caused by losing a lot of estrogen-producing fat) which can trigger hair loss.

Now I regularly use Nizerol because I'm post-menopausal and that led to thinning hair. Once again, switching to Nizerol has helped. Google nizerol with hair loss. It's a well-known phenomenon. There are other shampoos with the same active ingredient (keotoconazole), but I've found them to be more expensive.

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-01-2014 at 07:29 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #75

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

Lost 30lbs on IP last year. And lost a lot of hair. A year later I have gained back 10lbs. I still needed to lose 10 so now up to 20 on the chopping block. I have decided to do IP for 2 weeks for a jump start and then just calorie watch using my Fitnesspal App. After the first two weeks on IP I never lost anymore than a pound or two a week. Sorry but the hair loss on this plan just wasn't worth it for me. And I did take Omegas... And Biotin... And Hair and Nails formula. Still lost a wack of hair. My neighbor lady is wearing a wig now from all the hair loss while on IP. I am not criticizing anybody for being on this plan because I love a lot of the recipes and the people here, but I simply WILL NOT go through that hairloss again.

B team strong!!!!!!!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.