Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 187/152/145

Height: 5'4"

Oooooo, and Showgirlaz, you will make an amazing coach. You are so knowledgable and seem to love to research the stuff you don't know. I admire people that don't just give an answer to look smart, if they don't know, they find out. And all of your victories, you are a true inspiration.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAShutterbug View Post
Question? I mistakingly went off of plan a couple of nights ago and ate about 1 cup of red beans as my veg. I haven't been eating all 3 packets per day as if I'm not hungry in the evening I don't eat it. It's week 6 for me and I've noticed I don't have the bad taste in my mouth some mornings. So this morning (even though I had the taste) I tested for ketosis and only came out with trace/mild. How much carbs per day will kick you out of ketosis. I've only tested once in week 3/4 and got a strong on my strip as I haven't tested often. Since I'm loosing the weight I figured I was in it. I'm confused???
Testing for ketosis?? Strip?? There is a test strip............................Where do you get those?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
Testing for ketosis?? Strip?? There is a test strip............................Where do you get those?
You should be able to get them from your Drug Store. Just ask for Ketosis strips, my druggist ordered them in for me.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #19  

Default First WI

Hello all

EEEKKK today is my first official WI. Wish me luck.

I weighed last Tues am 165.5 and again this am ...................... 161!! 4.5lbs not 10 but I'll take it! 1.5" in my waist that is awesome. I am wearing a pair of jeans today that I wore last week before I started IP. I could wear them but they were not comfortable to sit in. Today I am wearing the again.....the buttoned easy and I won't have to stand all day! I weighed in the buff this am and then again after I got dressed to see how much my clothes weigh. 2lbs. I am nervous about WI this afternoon after water and food after 7 hours.

Today is my first real challenge. I am going out to lunch and going to a friend's for dinner. Dinner is easy. Salmon, veggies and salad my friend is 4;10" and weighs 95lbs...........at 73 years old! She is amazing and eats really strict so I am not worrying about dinner. Lunch...........we usually go to a little diner and have a hamburger which I always get without a bun but I get the homemade fries. haha NOT today. My concern is their "salad" it is iceburg out of a bag.....eeewww I am a lettuce snob haha. And I don't think they have any vegetables at all. So I am going to suggest another place OR bring my own cucumber to add to my salad. We shall see how it goes.

Thanks Svelting for all of you hard work, much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 193/179/140

Height: 5"1'

Default Good morning!

Happy Tuesday!

Congrats, I'm Svelting, for moving on to Phase 2 ... I can't wait until we're all there!

To those that are getting ready for WI, best of luck to all of you. I am holding steady so far in Week 2. I've noticed that my cravings for bread and such are mostly gone although I am DYING for pizza! Anyone have any strategies for coping with this?

Also, maybe one of you can help ... I'm trying to figure out how to make crab cakes that will stay together without any breadcrumbs. Any ideas?

Here's to continuing a great week on IP!

Michelle
Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #21  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
I'm moving to phase 2 this week, maybe even today. Within a month I will likely be posting to my progress thread, another forum/thread on 3FC, and my blog, as irregular as that has been.

A couple of things to think about:
  • Does it make sense to continue posting the list of helpful links in the first post of the daily thread?
  • If yes, who -- or what group of whos -- would like to take it on?

I've set up my PC so that I can do the morning tasks (start new thread and post link in yesterday thread) in less than 2 minutes. If desired and requested, I'd be happy to assist whoever would like to take it on with some tutorials (We could do a web-based tutorial and a conference, Skype maybe?)

Also, I've been doing come version of links in the first post since August 21 (or so). I forgot that I originally suggested doing it as a 1-week trial and I've never checked in about how it's working. Oops. I'd be interested in hearing whether it makes sense to continue for the next month. Your thoughts?
I think it has been very helpful to have the links at the beginning of the thread.

I would be willing to take it on. I am up late (always til midnight west coast time) and can easily open the new day in time for the early east coast. I am also available to close the old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAShutterbug View Post
Question? I mistakingly went off of plan a couple of nights ago and ate about 1 cup of red beans as my veg. I haven't been eating all 3 packets per day as if I'm not hungry in the evening I don't eat it. It's week 6 for me and I've noticed I don't have the bad taste in my mouth some mornings. So this morning (even though I had the taste) I tested for ketosis and only came out with trace/mild. How much carbs per day will kick you out of ketosis. I've only tested once in week 3/4 and got a strong on my strip as I haven't tested often. Since I'm loosing the weight I figured I was in it. I'm confused???
If you are still losing but you are cutting out a packet of food a day or most days, you may be losing just because of the reduced calories. If you are still eating low carb in other ways you are very reduced calorie and low carb and likely still in ketosis.

As you adapt to the ketones your body kicks off a few processes that make the ketones less strong when tested. Believe it or not, that is good. You will also lose fat easily in the low ketone levels. If you are well hydrated you will only show trace to mild on the ketostix. If you are exercising you will sweat and breathe out more ketones so they won't show in the urine. Ketostix are a marker of WHAT HAPPENED with you blood KETOSE levels.

A KETOSE is a molecule of energy that contains a KETONE packet. The ketone is not useable by the body. It is left as a marker in the blood within an hour after the KETOSE is used to fuel the body. It is also found for up to 24 hours in the urine as a marker of all the activity that has occured in burning up a ketose molecule for fuel/energy. Testing your urine with ketostrips will not tell you accurately if you are in ketosis at this moment. It will tell you if you have been in ketosis. It is helpful for diabetics because it lets them see how high ketose levels have been and, in their case, helps them to prevent becoming toxic by continuing to produce more. The diabetic body does not regulate with gluconeogenesis so it can become toxic. Our bodies, when healthy, use gluconeogenesis to regulate our blood sugars when in ketosis to prevent making too make ketose bodies and having too many ketones left. If you are far enough along you might be somewhat adapted to the ketogenic process and you body isn't throwing off as many ketose packets.

As for your second question, HOW MANY CARBS THROW YOU OUT OF KETOSIS?

That is hard to say. It is an individual level. Some people can be out of ketosis if they go over 30g of carbs per day. Other people can eat up to 100g of carb. This is why some people can easily and freely use restricted bars and packets and others avoid them like the plague.

In general, what is mentioned on many low carb diet programs is people come out of ketosis somewhere around 40 to 60 g of carb but, that is very individual. A person who comes out of ketosis at 60g of carb may very well be the same person who can eat 300g of carb a day and not gain more than a pound.

The more carb sensitive you are the lower your carb threshold and the SOONER you come out of ketosis. Assuming that most people are on this diet because we are sensitive to carbs and producing too much insulin thereby creating too much fat, WE are more likely to come out of ketosis at a very low point.

All you can do is test it for yourself and see where you fall out. It is actually a good test to do later, in phase 3 or phase 4. In fact, in the Atkins program, finding your carb threshold is part of the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Good morning! Congratulations to I'm Svelting on moving to phase 2 and everyone else for their accomplishments!

Today I feel so sluggish and swollen. Scale at home hasn't moved in a few days. I'm getting frustrated. I know it will move, but.......I want it to move now! I've been sticking to the program and even being very active with outside winter preparation to the yard and house. I still walk around 2 miles a day. I think this is week six for week on ip.

Going to try and up my water intake and see if that helps. Has anyone else had this slump in weight loss at this point into the plan? I have this fear that my body is trying to hold on to its fat. HELP!
Yes, this is normal. It happens between week 4 and 6 for many people. Just stay on plan, don't stress it, and the pounds will come off after your body finishes adapting the the process you are insisting it use to have fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
Showgirlaz You will be an amazing coach!! Whoever comes to your clinic will be so lucky to have you. Carla, could you be my on-line coach when we get to AZ for the winter??? Pretty please
Thank you! Really! YES! I would love too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsnwv View Post

By the way, I had a C-section with my first child, 15 years ago. The scar along the bikini line is irritated and red - I've been using Palmer's stretch mark lotion on my stomach and hips to try and reduce the marks. Is it possible that this is the culprit or has anyone else noticed trouble with skin irritations? I've never had the scar this sore before - I put Vit E oil on it last night and this morning, but it has me a little worried.

Wish me luck for tonight and have a great day, everyone!

Barbara Ann
It is less common for people to have scars and stretch marks flare up but, it does happen. Talk to your coach and see if they will tell you more. It is a rare but reported thing that some people see their stretch marks and scars significantly vanish because of the diets high levels of protein and collagen which help with repairing the skin structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post
Oooooo, and Showgirlaz, you will make an amazing coach. You are so knowledgable and seem to love to research the stuff you don't know. I admire people that don't just give an answer to look smart, if they don't know, they find out. And all of your victories, you are a true inspiration.
Thank you!! I really to love to learn as much as I can. I really think this plan is amazing and want to help share it with others. Having weight to lose that you want to lose and don't know why you can't is a horrible thing.. Very depressing. I would love to help people find a way to have success at losing and keeping it off.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #22  

Default Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfun View Post
Happy Tuesday!

Congrats, I'm Svelting, for moving on to Phase 2 ... I can't wait until we're all there!

To those that are getting ready for WI, best of luck to all of you. I am holding steady so far in Week 2. I've noticed that my cravings for bread and such are mostly gone although I am DYING for pizza! Anyone have any strategies for coping with this?

Also, maybe one of you can help ... I'm trying to figure out how to make crab cakes that will stay together without any breadcrumbs. Any ideas?

Here's to continuing a great week on IP!

Michelle
PIZZA! I use a portabello mushroom as a "crust" with olive oil and garlic for "sauce" veggie mozzarella cheese, chicken sausage. Not too bad I must say.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Quote:
...Also, maybe one of you can help ... I'm trying to figure out how to make crab cakes that will stay together without any breadcrumbs. Any ideas?
Hi, Michelle, I make salmon patties with canned salmon using a beaten egg. I don't use any bread crumbs. Eggs would just add extra protein.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #24  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I would use a little egg white.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #25  

Journeysend - Would it not be great to live closer to the city, so that we could get some of these things such as veggie cheese and WF?
We need to find out where some of this stuff can be purchased in Winnipeg, and I can do a regular run when I'm in the city with the ambulance, cause I am there often.
I would really like some of these specialty foods that aren't available here, and also, have you seen any of the sea salt in the stores in town? I am gonna check a health food store on my next trip into the city!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post
Journeysend - Would it not be great to live closer to the city, so that we could get some of these things such as veggie cheese and WF?
We need to find out where some of this stuff can be purchased in Winnipeg, and I can do a regular run when I'm in the city with the ambulance, cause I am there often.
I would really like some of these specialty foods that aren't available here, and also, have you seen any of the sea salt in the stores in town? I am gonna check a health food store on my next trip into the city!
The IP clinic in town has the WF food and also the Health food store here has the Sea Salt, the Spry gum and breath mints that we can have.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #27  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
Walgreen's has them. If they're not on the shelf, you can ask for them at the pharmacy counter. They also have a Walgreen's brand that is cheaper than the brand name by a couple of bucks.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 220/202/160

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi! I am new. This is my first week on IP, I am on day 5 today. I am liking it so far. I can't believe I am not starving as I usually do on all the other diets I have tried. I love cooking and I am trying to learn new ways of making things to stay within the guidelines. I have read for hours on here and I have learned so much from all of your posts!

I want to make a form of green chile. Are green chiles a select veggie? And I have looked but can't find a recipe on here to make it. Is there one on the threads? I think I will try to make one of my own as soon as I find out if green chiles are ok to have.

thanks so much!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #29  

Default First post of daily thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post
Congrats on moving to phase 2. I think the links at the top of the daily thread are very helpful...especially for newbies (and every day there are more newbies). You have a done a fabulous job.

I know I don't post as often as some, but I live on my computer (IT manager by day) and rise early. I can take on the starting of the new thread if no one else wants the task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I think it has been very helpful to have the links at the beginning of the thread.

I would be willing to take it on. I am up late (always til midnight west coast time) and can easily open the new day in time for the early east coast. I am also available to close the old thread.
Thank you both for volunteering to carry the baton for the next leg in the IP relay.

I'll be in touch by PM or start another thread to discuss the when and, if you want the how.

---
Thanks for all your congratulations. However, I would like to clarify my choice, I'm probably 30 -35 lbs from my desired final weight. Like the friend who introduced me to IP, I'm taking multiple stages of different programs to reach my goal weight. IP was simply the first stage for me. And based on my morning NWI on my home scale, what an effective start it has been! 55 lbs since June 28.

One of the things I know about myself is that I get bored of things. I've decided to work with this rather than fight it, so I'm moving off IP to a way of eating that will support me to take on an exercise program that's piqued my curiosity. Taking on the exercise will be so much easier now that I weigh almost 25% less!

I'll probably do the new eating and exercise for another 3-4 months. If I haven't reached my goal, I may well go back to phase 1 of IP.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #30  

Journeysend - LOL! Learn something new every day! That is awesome! I will check it out today! YAY! Thanks so much!
Closed Thread