Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 193/179/140

Height: 5"1'

Default Thanks!!

Thanks to Carla and everyone else who posted suggestions for pizza crust and crab cakes ... looking forward to experimenting in the kitchen this week!

Michelle
Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #47  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfun View Post
Happy Tuesday!

Congrats, I'm Svelting, for moving on to Phase 2 ... I can't wait until we're all there!

To those that are getting ready for WI, best of luck to all of you. I am holding steady so far in Week 2. I've noticed that my cravings for bread and such are mostly gone although I am DYING for pizza! Anyone have any strategies for coping with this?

Also, maybe one of you can help ... I'm trying to figure out how to make crab cakes that will stay together without any breadcrumbs. Any ideas?

Here's to continuing a great week on IP!

Michelle
Try a little grated zucchini or a tablespoon or so of chicken or leek soup (you know, the one that's been sitting around since week one because you couldn't stomach it.)
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 212.5/173/137

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicmom734 View Post
Good Morning Ladies!

I am hoping to hit q goal of 150 by Christmas, HOWEVER, I have this pair of pants that my X bought me. They are a pair of leather dress pants, that are very very nice. I have only worn them once, and that was in 2005. My goal is to wear them by his birthday, February 23! I figure it will be a great tribute to myself, that he is missing out on his special birthday, and I will be wearing the pants. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cheers! Have a great day!

Susan
Thanks for the laugh of the day! Very funny.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #49  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsnwv View Post
By the way, I had a C-section with my first child, 15 years ago. The scar along the bikini line is irritated and red - I've been using Palmer's stretch mark lotion on my stomach and hips to try and reduce the marks. Is it possible that this is the culprit or has anyone else noticed trouble with skin irritations? I've never had the scar this sore before - I put Vit E oil on it last night and this morning, but it has me a little worried.
Barbara Ann
Is the skin puckering more now that you've lost weight? Simple answer is that your underwear is rubbing and irritating or something you're putting on it is causing the inflammation. Probably too simple. I think this might merit a call to your doctor.

Last edited by Linden; 10-12-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 173/165/154

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
If you are still losing but you are cutting out a packet of food a day or most days, you may be losing just because of the reduced calories. If you are still eating low carb in other ways you are very reduced calorie and low carb and likely still in ketosis.

As you adapt to the ketones your body kicks off a few processes that make the ketones less strong when tested. Believe it or not, that is good. You will also lose fat easily in the low ketone levels. If you are well hydrated you will only show trace to mild on the ketostix. If you are exercising you will sweat and breathe out more ketones so they won't show in the urine. Ketostix are a marker of WHAT HAPPENED with you blood KETOSE levels.

A KETOSE is a molecule of energy that contains a KETONE packet. The ketone is not useable by the body. It is left as a marker in the blood within an hour after the KETOSE is used to fuel the body. It is also found for up to 24 hours in the urine as a marker of all the activity that has occured in burning up a ketose molecule for fuel/energy. Testing your urine with ketostrips will not tell you accurately if you are in ketosis at this moment. It will tell you if you have been in ketosis. It is helpful for diabetics because it lets them see how high ketose levels have been and, in their case, helps them to prevent becoming toxic by continuing to produce more. The diabetic body does not regulate with gluconeogenesis so it can become toxic. Our bodies, when healthy, use gluconeogenesis to regulate our blood sugars when in ketosis to prevent making too make ketose bodies and having too many ketones left. If you are far enough along you might be somewhat adapted to the ketogenic process and you body isn't throwing off as many ketose packets.

As for your second question, HOW MANY CARBS THROW YOU OUT OF KETOSIS?

That is hard to say. It is an individual level. Some people can be out of ketosis if they go over 30g of carbs per day. Other people can eat up to 100g of carb. This is why some people can easily and freely use restricted bars and packets and others avoid them like the plague.

In general, what is mentioned on many low carb diet programs is people come out of ketosis somewhere around 40 to 60 g of carb but, that is very individual. A person who comes out of ketosis at 60g of carb may very well be the same person who can eat 300g of carb a day and not gain more than a pound.

The more carb sensitive you are the lower your carb threshold and the SOONER you come out of ketosis. Assuming that most people are on this diet because we are sensitive to carbs and producing too much insulin thereby creating too much fat, WE are more likely to come out of ketosis at a very low point.

All you can do is test it for yourself and see where you fall out. It is actually a good test to do later, in phase 3 or phase 4. In fact, in the Atkins program, finding your carb threshold is part of the process.
Thanks for explaining it and in very layman terms where even I could understand it. You are going to be a great coach and so thankful for your knowledge and what you share with us.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #51  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Hi everyone!! Thanks for all of the good recipes you creative types!!! I'm looking forward to trying a lot of them!! In fact tonight I'm trying the pork tenderloin with some cajun spices rubbed on (homemade rub, to make sure there is no sugar!!). I'm sure the family will enjoy them with me tonight!

I have not been adding any dijon mustard to my foods this week and according to my scale at home this am (with me in the buff) I am down to 147#!! I am enjoying seeing the 140's for the first time in a long while!!

Thanks again to all who have gone before us newer members here and have been ever so helpful!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 197/153/140

Height: 5'4"

[QUOTE=showgirlaz;3519006]Bev S has done more research than me on the why trace/small is best.
Here is what I have learned.
Ketose is a molecule of energy likened to glucose. It has a tiny energy molecule called a ketase and it has a ketone. The ketone is unuseable, and somewhat toxic to the body. That ketone is removed from the body in respiration - on the breath, sweat, through the bloods process, and in the urine. It can be measured by a blood test which is very current but more expensive or, it can be measured in the urine which is accurate with in 24 hrs. It is able to be diluted when well hydrated and is not always properly read in urine dip tests.

I am aware that having too many ketones is a tad toxic. I know that if you are showing a large amount of ketones you can be dehydrated and that is NOT good. Ketones will appear more concentrated if you are dehydrated. If that is happening it is hard on your kidneys. If the kidneys are taxed the liver has to start doing work to support the kidneys. Once the liver is helping to assist the kidneys it slows or reduces its abilities to burn and remove fat from the body. I believe because the body is trying to remove the toxins of the high ketone level that it isn't processing fat as efficiently therefore, lower toxins ie ketones more efficient fat burning. Perhaps that can be confirmed more by Bev S.

That's good news to read! I've been doing the strips a few times a week and I'm usually showing trace/small and was worried I wasn't in "deep" ketosis. Thanks for all of your great information you share here on this board!

Oh, and by the way today was my week 9 weigh in; and I'm down 31 lbs!!!! This diet keeps getting easier for me and my sis the longer we're on it. The first month we weren't sure if we could do it, but now there's no stopping us! She's down 32 lbs....darn older sister always has to be a step ahead of me!LOL For those of you just starting your weight loss journey you can do this, and it's so worth it!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #53  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Cptswife;3519197]
Quote:
Bev S has done more research than me on the why trace/small is best.
Ketose is a molecule of energy likened to glucose. It has a tiny energy molecule called a ketase and it has a ketone. The ketone is unuseable, and somewhat toxic to the body. That ketone is removed from the body in respiration - on the breath, sweat, through the bloods process, and in the urine. It can be measured by a blood test which is very current but more expensive or, it can be measured in the urine which is accurate with in 24 hrs. It is able to be diluted when well hydrated and is not always properly read in urine dip tests.

I am aware that having too many ketones is a tad toxic. I know that if you are showing a large amount of ketones you can be dehydrated and that is NOT good. Ketones will appear more concentrated if you are dehydrated. If that is happening it is hard on your kidneys. If the kidneys are taxed the liver has to start doing work to support the kidneys. Once the liver is helping to assist the kidneys it slows or reduces its abilities to burn and remove fat from the body. I believe because the body is trying to remove the toxins of the high ketone level that it isn't processing fat as efficiently therefore, lower toxins ie ketones more efficient fat burning. Perhaps that can be confirmed more by Bev S.

That's good news to read! I've been doing the strips a few times a week and I'm usually showing trace/small and was worried I wasn't in "deep" ketosis. Thanks for all of your great information you share here on this board!

Oh, and by the way today was my week 9 weigh in; and I'm down 31 lbs!!!! This diet keeps getting easier for me and my sis the longer we're on it. The first month we weren't sure if we could do it, but now there's no stopping us! She's down 32 lbs....darn older sister always has to be a step ahead of me!LOL For those of you just starting your weight loss journey you can do this, and it's so worth it!
WOW Great numbers so far for you and your sister! Congratulations!! It does seem to get easier, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just now making the connections between what I eat, with how I feel after that, and what I gain. I am a slow learner, but this diet sure works for me!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #54  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
I think it has been very helpful to have the links at the beginning of the thread.
An all round super post, Carla. And I agree, the links are excellent. (Now, if people would just read them ).

Whoever takes over the opening and closing, I'm still willing to do the weekend, if that helps. But I, too, am in Phase 2 and will be leaving the country the middle of December, so I can only do weekends. Where I'm moving is 12 time zones away from where I am so I have the same time restrictions, just 12 hours earlier.

I, sincerely, want to add my thanks to I'm Svelting! for keeping the Daily/Weekend thread going, PLUS her enhancements. But also to all the people who, from the start, have made posting and reading, and learning possible. Mahalo.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 191/155/155 -- revised to /145

Height: 5'6"

Can someone explain how the early stages of menopause might affect weight loss on IP?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
I will have to dig but I think someone who used to be on the board talked about using the crepe mix to make a dough for crackers and pizza crust. Maybe it was Babs or Taylor??? Anyone else remember this?
Here is TaylorMayde's pizza recipe

1 Crepe packet
WF Marinara
Turkey pepperoni

Mix Crepe with less water than usual, to form a thick batter. Spread onto parchment paper, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Spread with WF Marinara, and top with pepperonis. Bake for an additional 5 minutes!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Bev S has done more research than me on the why trace/small is best.

Hey, Carla, thanks, but you are giving me way too much credit. The scientific explanations of why something is cause my eyes to glaze over. I am much more interested in the "whats" than the "whys." However, I think your explanations are terrific.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #58  
Started IP 9/7/10

S/C/G: 353/200/160

Height: 5'10

I had my week five WI today and was down 5 1/2 lbs. for the week. This program is truly amazing. I feel better then I have in years and the fat seems to be melting off of me. This forum has helped me so much with all the tips and motivational stories...Thank you to all who post on here!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #59  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I started Phase 1 on Monday and to my surprise I am already in ketosis and feel great. I love IP and can't wait to be at 145 or 150!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #60  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
Walgreen's has them. If they're not on the shelf, you can ask for them at the pharmacy counter. They also have a Walgreen's brand that is cheaper than the brand name by a couple of bucks.
Hey Dave! I have missed seeing you around. I am constantly chasing your weight lose. You give me inspiration. I will soon hit the 100 pound mark and I can't wait.
Closed Thread