3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

IP Daily Chat - Mon. 11 Oct. 2010

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #16
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledwithdiamonds View Post
Can someone help me? I'm on day 1 of phase 1 and can't get ahold of my coach.
My question is about the vegies. It says 2 cups for lunch and 2 cups for dinner. I emailed my coach yesterday and asked if that was 2 cups in quantity or 2 cups in weight and she said quantity... So I'm sitting here looking at my vegies and I'm really confused.... 2 cups of cauliflower is over half a head!! 2 cups of green beans would be like a can and a half........Am I really supposed to eat my tiny little IP bar plus a can and a half of green beens????????????
Green beans are not on my list of approved veges for phase I.
And I was told that you want to use fresh veges, not canned because I think that the canned veges contain salt and other additives. Did you get the list of approved veges for phase I when you signed up? Also, I am doing the phase I where I am not allowed any of the bars or other snacks!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
I have taken mine like I am supposed to, endured upset stomach every time I take them, now I am almost out (on my 4th week) I am thinking of only replacing the potassium. I had a friend who did this diet (and lost 46lbs) but did not take the supplements because they did the same to her. Has anyone on her not taken them, yet still been successful on the diet?
Clarice41, the supplements are very important for protecting your body while you are on this diet. Do you take your pills before your food or after? With a lot of water or just a little? You may want to change it up a bit to help stop the cramping. I occasionally get it from the Potassium and the Cal-Mags but changing up when I take it seems to make the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3d1n4h View Post
I'm loving my results, but it's getting harder and harder to stick with it=-( The food is delicious, but it's the lack of food, outside of theirs, that's scare. My toughest challenge is bread. It's extremely difficult to eat meat with NO BREAD. I can't quit now; I'm to far in. I just need some guidance, PLEASE.
M3d1n4h, I would take the plain crepes and make muffins with it....add some garlic and other spices to it. I bet you could come up with something good and tasty and more like bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarin View Post
I have a question for anyone reading who's on maintenance. I know I still have a long way to go, but I was reading Dr Tran's web book the other day, particularly the bit on maintenance. He recommends that your evening meal not include protein (you're to have that at lunch), but just pasta, rice and the like. He has some very good reasons for doing this, but I am thinking this could be a challenge. How have you guys that have successfully maintained for a while dealt with this? Your advice, as always, is much appreciated.
Kaarin, I'm not in maintenance, yet, but my boyfriend is. He eats meat at dinner with me and just makes sure he keeps the portion size reasonable. He has been in maintenance a few weeks and is down another 3 lbs with fulling splurging on his "cheat" days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
Ok, ladies. I need your encouragement. I'm a little down this morning. Well, not down but up I have officially been on the IP protocol 3 weeks and I'm only down 9lbs. I feel my clothes a little looser but still not down a size. This is really frustrating because I know that I'm going by the book. I'm not exercising and I'm drinking over 100oz of H2O a day. I don't understand this and I'm beginning to think I should just go back to my low cal/ lots of exercise diet. HELP.
Mama2three, you are doing great. Some times the inches don't keep up with the pounds. You sound similar to me. I was at 11lb lost at 4 weeks and just starting to squeeze into a size smaller. Since week 7 or 8, I've been losing inches much faster and have dropped significant inches (even though my weight loss has been consistent. It was frustrating for me too (especially since my boyfriend lost both consistently and a lot faster). Hang in there and don't stress about it. Your body will catch up.

Quote:
Can someone help me? I'm on day 1 of phase 1 and can't get a hold of my coach.
My question is about the vegies. It says 2 cups for lunch and 2 cups for dinner. I emailed my coach yesterday and asked if that was 2 cups in quantity or 2 cups in weight and she said quantity... So I'm sitting here looking at my vegies and I'm really confused.... 2 cups of cauliflower is over half a head!! 2 cups of green beans would be like a can and a half........Am I really supposed to eat my tiny little IP bar plus a can and a half of green beens????????????
Yes, you have to eat that many veggies. It was extremely overwhelming for me the first couple weeks, now I pound them down as if it is normal to eat so much at lunch and dinner. Friends and family look at me like I'm crazy to even try to eat that much at a sitting but your body will adjust shortly.

Quote:
also if i eat a salad is that considered my veggie or no?
Spring greens and spinach count as your veggie. Lettuce does not.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

I just want to give everyone a big THANK YOU for sending in recipes for healthy foods. I will try some of the yummy sounding ones, especially the salad dressings. Thanks so much!!

Edit to add: Hello there, EatAnts!!! We are about the same weight (I can't wait to see the 140s!!!!!!) You are doing a terrific job!! Go Sheila!!!

Question for anyone: I bought the Paul Newman Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing this weekend. No sugar in it at all. Does anyone else use it?

Last edited by SallyM : 10-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyM View Post
And I was told that you want to use fresh veges, not canned because I think that the canned veges contain salt and other additives. Did you get the list of approved veges for phase I when you signed up? Also, I am doing the phase I where I am not allowed any of the bars or other snacks!
I have a list of approved stuff, and on it is a list approved vegtables as well as a list of vegtables I can have twice per week. The second list has green beans on it.

I was never told no canned vegtables either... makes sense but was not voiced to me. I'm also allowed 1 bar or snack item per day.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCrewzer View Post
I noticed on here that everyone says that you can't have the sparkling flavored waters (because of the aspartame). My coach said it is alright as long as you drink at least the same amount in regular water. So, no more than half of your daily water intake can be the sparkling water. I love my sparkling water since I used to be addicted to Diet Pepsi - I love that fizz! I have gone a couple days without any and haven't seen a difference in my weight loss. I was just wondering if anyone else has been told that it was OK? I may be willing to give it up if it will increase my weight loss!
I was told aspartame in any form is a big no-no. There are a lot of consequences to aspartame (google aspartame for more info on this).

Quote:
On the phase 1 plan sheet I was given from Ideal Protein, green beans are an occasional veggie. I was, also, allowed restricted items from the beginning. I've tried the IP boot camp with no restricted veggies or packets and my weight loss stayed consistent so I gave up on it and allowing myself the restricted once a day with the same consistent losses as the IP boot camp protocol.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #21

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
When you cut up the broccoli and put it into a dry measure cup (not liquid) you should not have a 1/2 a head unless it is a small head of broccoli.

The answer is still yes. Whatever pre cooked vegetables you can measure into 2 dry cup measures is what you should eat along with your IP protein and a salad.

Green beans are an occasional vegetable so you should uses those only once in awhile.

My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!

You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post

Yes, you have to eat that many veggies. It was extremely overwhelming for me the first couple weeks, now I pound them down as if it is normal to eat so much at lunch and dinner. Friends and family look at me like I'm crazy to even try to eat that much at a sitting but your body will adjust shortly.

Spring greens and spinach count as your veggie. Lettuce does not.
Thank you very much for the quick reply!! It is very overwhelimg to eat that many vegies right now!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
Good morning all. I hope everyone has a great day! I have a question. How important are the supplements that are given in the "pack" the first day? I have taken mine like I am supposed to, endured upset stomach everytime I take them, now I am almost out (on my 4th week) I am thinking of only replacing the potassium. I had a friend who did this diet (and lost 46lbs) but did not take the supplaments because they did the same to her. Has anyone on her not taken them, yet still been succcessful on the diet?
As I understand it results are best when taking the supplements. When are you taking the supplements, i.e. before or after a meal? It's generally best to take supplements during or after a meal so that they are digested with food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3d1n4h View Post
My toughest challenge is bread. It's extremely difficult to eat meat with NO BREAD. I can't quit now; I'm to far in. I just need some guidance, PLEASE.
Good luck on your WI! I loved bread and all wheat flour products. No I really really loved them. Once I started IP, that was the biggest adjustment. I know what you mean. Now, 12-13 weeks in the cravings come and go, and it's easier and easier to say no even when I smell it all day from the large commercial bakery across from my office.

Carla gave you some good ideas using substitutes for the bread. I've found it best to avoid substituting something "bread-like" for bread because then I'm not comparing what it's "supposed" to be like. Experiment and see what works for you.

Quote:
I have a question for anyone reading who's on maintenance. I know I still have a long way to go, but I was reading Dr Tran's web book the other day, particularly the bit on maintenance. He recommends that your evening meal not include protein (you're to have that at lunch), but just pasta, rice and the like. He has some very good reasons for doing this, but I am thinking this could be a challenge. How have you guys that have successfully maintained for a while dealt with this? Your advice, as always, is much appreciated.
Have you checked the Life After Phase 1 threads, kaarin? There are 2: one is a sticky and is closed (no new posts); the other is usually on the first page and is the current active thread.
Quote:
Ok, ladies. I need your encouragement. I'm a little down this morning. Well, not down but up I have officially been on the IP protocol 3 weeks and I'm only down 9lbs. I feel my clothes a little looser but still not down a size. This is really frustrating because I know that I'm going by the book. I'm not exercising and I'm drinking over 100oz of H2O a day. I don't understand this and I'm begining to think I should just go back to my low cal/ lots of exercise diet. HELP.
Your weight loss is great!! 3 lbs/week is within the expected range on IP. If you have no underlying (and possibly undiagnosed) health problems, your compliance with IP will take off the weight you want. Although it's frustrating to read of others' greater pounds lost, trust your body. Sometimes it isn't "You've got to lose weight to get healthy" it's "You've got to get healthy to lose weight." It could be that your body is using the break from carbs and insulin to do some important healing work first. I'd be willing to bet that you'll either lose consistently until you reach goal or that you've got a stunning, inexplicable many pound drop in your not too distant future. Hang on!
Quote:
My question is about the vegies. It says 2 cups for lunch and 2 cups for dinner. I emailed my coach yesterday and asked if that was 2 cups in quantity or 2 cups in weight and she said quantity... So I'm sitting here looking at my vegies and I'm really confused.... 2 cups of cauliflower is over half a head!! 2 cups of green beans would be like a can and a half. Am I really supposed to eat my tiny little IP bar plus a can and a half of green beens?
It is 2 cups veggies in volume plus unlimited lettuce. After the initial adjustment to the lower carbs, the packet/bar + veggies + lettuce is amazingly filling.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #24

S/C/G: 186/131/140

Height: 5'4

Thanks SallyM. My wonderful husband keeps telling me the same thing but it's discouraging looking around at others with greater losses. I'm glad to see someone else is on the same track. I haven't even had restricted packets this week even though my coach said it was ok. We'll see at tomorrow's weigh in. Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #25

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I really appreciate the pep talk. I was wondering, am I not eating enough fat? I try to stick around 1 or 1 1/2 tsp a day and I don't take any supplements. Any advice on eating restricted packets? I haven't been but if I'm losing 3 or less pounds per week, I might as well have the yummy restricted packets. I was also told that I could have unlimited splenda, mustard and pickles. Any thoughts? What about egg whites?
Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Ok, ladies. I need your encouragement. I'm a little down this morning. Well, not down but up I have officially been on the IP protocol 3 weeks and I'm only down 9lbs. I feel my clothes a little looser but still not down a size. This is really frustrating because I know that I'm going by the book. I'm not exercising and I'm drinking over 100oz of H2O a day. I don't understand this and I'm begining to think I should just go back to my low cal/ lots of exercise diet. HELP.
You are doing great! 3 pounds a week is the typical average weight loss for many people. You have a lot less to lose than many on here so, this is ok and expected. Sometimes it just takes a little more time. The nice things about this diet is what you can't see. This diet corrects the root of why people gain weight and get caught in the cycle of dieting. It improves subtle health factors as well as blood pressure, cholesterol, pancreas function, and multiple other health issues. It also helps in maintaining a healthy, quality lean muscle mass. It aids in the elimination of cellulite. It helps the body to attain the best level of elasticity that it can given genetics, age, and other unique factors.

Please don't think about something else yet. I don't know many diets that offer as much OVERALL as this plan does.

Quote:
Hi mama2three, I am a mama to three also!!
I feel your pain about the 9 lb weight loss! I have been on IP since sept 20th and have not once ever cheated. My official WI weight loss shows me losing about 8 lbs or so. I have seen so many lose so much more quickly! I was really low after my weigh in on Friday. My DH and kids were so sweet about it cuz they know I've been so good on the diet. I took the time to read Dr. Tran (sp?)'s book this weekend and I feel pretty good now. While I am still a little confused about carbs in veges, etc I feel really motivated. He specifically states in the book that the average weight loss for a woman after three weeks is 8 or 9 lbs!! That's us!!!!
Anyway, I have looked at my journal for last week and I may have used too much dijon mustard (tiny bits but maybe too often?). I can feel that my body is losing the weight, but because I was literally SQUEEZING my fat arse into my old jeans (and spilling out some too!) I really haven't changed sizes or anything. I have continued to lose inches, you too? Which means we are still losing - our bodies are doing the right thing. Let's just be patient with ourselves.

Some of the newer IP literature actually says typical average weight loss of 2 to 4 pounds for women and 5 to 7 for men.

You are so right! Dr Tran actually does feel it is quite normal for women to lose 2 to 3 pounds when they don't have a large amount of fat left to lose. Just because we see weight doesn't mean it is all fat. This diet helps us keep necessary muscle and can help us naturally develop some muscle too.

You may have slowed down a bit from the mustard it it was quite carb loaded and you didn't watch the portions. I use a westbrae naturals mustard and Annie's organic dijon. Westbrae has 0 carbs and Annies is just 1. It has so much flavor I don't have to use much.

My Progress Photos

Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I really appreciate the pep talk. I was wondering, am I not eating enough fat? I try to stick around 1 or 1 1/2 tsp a day and I don't take any supplements. Any advice on eating restricted packets? I haven't been but if I'm losing 3 or less pounds per week, I might as well have the yummy restricted packets. I was also told that I could have unlimited splenda, mustard and pickles. Any thoughts? What about egg whites?
Your fat should be fine. You can add up to 2tsp a day. Some people do need more. To find out if that is you you can add a fourth or a half tsp a day for one week and see if you notice any slow down. I not then the next week try to add a little more. You will either notice a slow down or it will "stoke the fire" and you will lose extra. I would start by going to the 2tsp a day first. Then the next week add an extra 1/4 tsp for 3 or 4 days of that next week and see how you do.

Packets are higher carbs. You may eat them right from the start. It may not effect you. Some find it does if they have more than 2 or 3 a week. Some people use them every 3rd day. Try it and see how you respond is all I can say.

You can NOT have unlimited splenda, mustard OR pickles. Mustard and pickles must be zero carbs. Mustard, if zero cal and zero carb can be had unlimited. Pickles have calories usually. They are also a vegetable so, the more you have you will start eating hidden calories and carbs. Even if a jar says 2 pickles is zero carbs that analysis is not true for 1 cup of pickles. There is a big difference in the legality of labels for specific portions and the reality of what the nutrition is for a larger quantity of the same thing.

SPLENDA is ABSOLUTELY NOT ok unlimited. It is almost 1 carb per packet. If you use baking splenda it has carbs from sugars and maltodextrin. Both effect insulin and glucose. Splenda is suppose to be used carefully, in moderation to enhance sweetness. Our packets that have just a hand full of carbs get them in part from the sucralose.

Egg whites are fine. I was told 4 egg whites or 3 egg whites and 1 yolk are equal to a dinner portion of meat.

My Progress Photos

Last edited by showgirlaz : 10-11-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #28

Thank you, Carla. You are so full of good info. Are you a coach, yet? If not, you should be.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #29

Has anyone ever tried the vanilla shake as coffee creamer? I was told to use 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of skim per day. I drink alot of decaf coffee and was wondering if there are alternatives? The skinny soy milk would be less carbs than skim but I don't know if that is allowed. Any other big coffee drinkers out there? Advice, advice.......
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #30

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
As Carla said, although the IP diet is BASED on Dr. Tran's book, they are not one and the same. The suggested amount of meat or fish protein at dinner in maintenance (Phase 4) remains 5-7 ounces (about 35 grams of protein). It is also suggested that we eat at least half of our weight in grams of protein; i.e., if I weigh 134 pounds, I should eat at least 67 grams of protein per day. If I eat about 25 grams of protein for breakfast, and another 35 at either lunch or dinner, it stands to reason that if I'm not that hungry, I don't have to eat a lot of protein at my snack or other meal, but I can if I want to. Maintenance is much more flexible than the other phases. I just try to eat healthy and get enough protein in a day to maintain my muscle.

Quote:
The vegetables are to be measured uncooked. Someone has already told you that green beans are restricted. Plus if they are canned, they are cooked down quite a bit. Three cups of raw green beans cooks down to approximately 2 cups of cooked. So if you want to eat green beans (up to twice a week if you don't eat any other restricted veggies) already cooked in the can (although fresh would be better), then you should only measure out 1 1/3 cups.

Quote:
also if i eat a salad is that considered my veggie or no?
The part of your salad that is not lettuce should be counted in your 2 cups of vegetables. I.e., spinach, broccoli, radishes, mushrooms, cabbage, etc., should be counted.

Quote:
Why aren't you taking any supplements? I was told I would get sick if I didn't take my supplements. I took them faithfully every day, including 4 1,000 mg Omega-3 capsules (2 at breakfast and 2 at dinner).

I agree with Carla on the Splenda, mustard, and pickles.

Egg whites can be used as one of your protein sources.

Last edited by BevS : 10-11-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.