I P Weekend Chat, September 25-26, 2010

You're on Page 6 of 10
Go to
  • Quote: Pinky, if you don't have Metro in SK, you can also order it from the Low Carb Grocery or Low Carb Canada. These are both in Ontario, but you might find similar outlets out West. If you go the the "Information for Canadian IPers" sticky, Sandy gave a list of places that ship WF and Lindora products to/in Canada. Good luck on your mission! Oh, and it just occurred to me that some of our colleagues in Manitoba and Alberta may have good suggestions for outlets nearer to you--what say you ladies?

Jackie
    Jackie, thank you so so much for your suggestions! We don't have Metro stores here, but if I can't find the WF products here, I can always order online as you suggest.

By the way, congratulations on your wonderful success with IP so far!!!
  • Does anyone know of a low sodium soy sauce? I looked on the recipe forum, but did not find anything.
  • Quote: I have a couple of questions for all of you, especially the ones who have "boldly gone before": Did you continue to change in size and shape after the transitions and as the weight loss slowed or stopped? Has anyone considered having a tummy tuck or other plastic surgery once all the weight is lost? What were some of the concerns (besides $) associated with plastic surgery? I'm sure I want to loose another 10-15 pounds once I hit goal - but I'm thinking I want to hold at the new weight for a bit, then go for the rest of it - What are your thoughts, insights? I doubt I'm alone in my musings.
    Jean
    for all of us!
    I am 52 and lost 50 pounds between January and May and 11 inches from the belly. I don't need a tummy tuck. My tummy has tightened up surprisingly well. My neck has a bit of loose skin, but it seems better than at first. If I were going to have any work done, it would be on the neck. I'm not too keen on plastic surgery though. I had a small dermatafibroma removed from my upper arm a few years ago. It looked like a cigarette burn. The plastic surgeon said he could remove it and repair the skin with about three tiny stiches. Imagine my horror when the bandage was removed and I had a thick, 1 1/4 inches long scar with 7 train track scars going crosswise. Among other problems, he left the stitches in too long. The train tracks still show. Cigarette burn versus train tracks, hmmmm? Anyway, I worry about the scarring from plastic surgery.

Quote: oh thank you for sharing this!!! I just need to know where I can purchases a NON sweetened with anything artificial protein whey powder?? I was searching online and found some with stevia- no no!! I want NO Sweeteners of any kind..does anyone know of any? I would need 18 grams protein per drink and low carbs and low calories like IP to ( I sound like Tim Gunn)make it work""
    I use NOW whey protein isolate in natural unflavored. It contains no sugar, salt, starch, wheat, gluten, corn, egg, or preservatives. The serving listed on the container is 1/3 cup for 25 grams of protein, 105 calories, and 1 carb, but you can use 1/4 cup for 19 grams of protein, 80 calories, and < 1 carb. I buy it from www.netrition.com. They charge a flat $4.95 for shipping and handling.
  • Good morning! I need a little advice on the Big "C". My girlfriend and I started IP on 8/24/10 and we both have been experiencing it. I have increased my water and have been taking Novalax but it still has been a problem for me. My friend called me last night and asked me to ask you wonderful ladies for help. I know that it is very important to take care of this for our weight loss. HELP!!!
  • Quote: oh thank you for sharing this!!! I just need to know where I can purchases a NON sweetened with anything artificial protein whey powder?? I was searching online and found some with stevia- no no!! I want NO Sweeteners of any kind..does anyone know of any? I would need 18 grams protein per drink and low carbs and low calories like IP to ( I sound like Tim Gunn)make it work""
    I have found 2 plain, unflavored whey protein isolate powders that I like with 1 carb or 0 carbs/serving and over 30 g protein. I used to have plain with skim milk, almond milk, soy milk, or some combination. The taste took a little time to get used to. (I'm using the old buckets as storage containers and can't remember the name of them )

Just make sure that you get plain, unflavored, unsweetened powder. I've seen brands have a "natural" powder that is plain-ish but has some sweetener. As others have said, the plain whey PPs are widely available in grocery stores and health food stores. If we can find it in Canada, it will be no problem for you! (Only a few products that are the exception to that rule, and whey PP isn't one of them.)

Once you find one that you like,

Quote: Hi I'm Svelting, the Metro was the one at Shopper's World at 3003 Danforth Avenue, at Danforth and Victoria Park. I only went there because someone else (maybe you?) mentioned a while back that they had found WF products at Metro. And there they were--a surprisingly good selection, too.
    Thanks Jackie. I'm not in the east end that much. I guess I'll just have to stop when I see a large Metro store and scout it! Right now I"m looking for the travel packets of the dressings.

Great explanation about PPs and lists of options for Coastalcrafter!! I hope you know I think you're awesome, but it can't be said enough -- You are awesome!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • Quote: Hey CC,

LOTS of companies make unflavoured, unsweetened plain as plain can be protein powders. They make them protein powders from whey protein, 100% whey isolate (more expensive but better quality), soy protein, soy isolate (again more $, but better quality), rice protein, and hemp, and possibly one or two others base substances that I don't recall, and most brands will have an unflavoured, unsweetened option, because athletes who are the ones who mostly use this type of product like to make smoothies from fruit juices, add protein to soups, etc, and often don't want flavourings of any kind.

I've tried several types, and I like the 100% whey isolate from New Zealand the best. It has the smoothest texture and the least taste, and being from NZ is very pure at the source, but it is made from milk, so if you have milk or soy allergies, you might like the rice protein better. I found the hemp protein powder to be very gritty and ended up tossing it out, but only because I didn't like the texture.

You should be able to find a selection at any good healthfood store, or at a well stocked grocery store. I found several brands at my local Loblaws in Toronto, but I have also bought it at a health food store, and shops like GNC that specialize in protein powders and other supplements for athletes. The brand I have bought recently is InterActive Nutritionals Abosolute Isolate Protein. It was about $25 or so for 340g.

By the way, if it is the sweetener that is causing the migraines, some types of flavoured protein powders are now being sweetened with FOS (fructooligosacharides) which are supposedly healthy, natural low glycemic sweeteners made from chicory root fibre. I have one I haven't tried yet that I got at the Low Carb Grocery, called Chocolite Protein. It has 150 cal, 3 g fat, 24g protein, 8g carbs, but 5 g fibre, so only 3 net carbs per serving. It is made by Healthsmart Foods in Evansville Indiana, so you should be able to get it in the US. I think it was $25 for 418 g.

If you Google "unflavoured whey protein isolate" or "unflavoured protein powder" you'll find lots of choices. They even sell it on Amazon!

Jackie
    Oh Jackie thank you!! Your a sweetheart! and others too who responded to my dilema!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!
    I am THRILLED that I can continue on Dr Tien's plan using unsweetened/unflavored whey isolate powder!!!! A drug store in town has a huge GNC section and wally world sells Protein powders too ,,I will read all labels!!!

Thank you again and again!!!
    love you all!!!

Do you think the IP clinic I go to will buy back the packets at $4. each? ( what I paid for them?)
  • Quote: I am THRILLED that I can continue on Dr Tien's plan using unsweetened/unflavored whey isolate powder!!!! A drug store in town has a huge GNC section and wally world sells Protein powders too ,,I will read all labels!!!
    Do you think the IP clinic I go to will buy back the packets at $4. each? ( what I paid for them?)
    Buy a small container to start. After a few days, you'll know whether you like it and whether your body likes it. Then, go buy the 10-gallon drum!
    Ask the owner on Monday about a refund for the packets, or maybe they'll exchange them for supplements. As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots, you don't take."

Did you ever think you'd be excited to be ABLE to continue on a diet?

Quote: Good morning! I need a little advice on the Big "C". My girlfriend and I started IP on 8/24/10 and we both have been experiencing it. I have increased my water and have been taking Novalax but it still has been a problem for me. My friend called me last night and asked me to ask you wonderful ladies for help. I know that it is very important to take care of this for our weight loss. HELP!!!
    Three quick things:
    - search the forum in separate searchs for
    --->"Constipation"
    --->"Big C"
    --->"magnesium citrate"
    - I've used psyllium husks (available in bulk packages at health food stores and "healthy natural" sections of grocery stores). Start with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp in water for a few days, then bump it up gradually.

Another thing that works for me is to get my body moving ... just simple walking near home, 'cause I don't want to be too far from the loo!
  • [QUOTE=I'm svelting!;3495907]Buy a small container to start. After a few days, you'll know whether you like it and whether your body likes it. Then, go buy the 10-gallon drum!

You are so funny!!!!

Ask the owner on Monday about a refund for the packets, or maybe they'll exchange them for supplements. As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots, you don't take."

So true!!

Did you ever think you'd be excited to be ABLE to continue on a diet?

NEVER IN MY LIFE!!! hahahahaha

QUOTE]
  • [QUOTE=MotherDuckMJ;3495753]Hi All!

Hope your weekend is well. I love stopping by here and reading how your all doing. Hang in there everyone! Sounds like many temptations are out there for folks between cinnamon rolls and shots of whiskey.

I'm having the opposite problem this weekend. Bored with my food choices and not eating all I'm supposed to and took a day off of my vitamins for no apparent reason. Also short on my water a bit. So tom. I commit to being much much better!

I'm done a couple more pounds, yay! I was so much more comfortable in the pews at church today. I could cross my legs and kneel on one knee, haven't been able to do that in a while. I still have so far to go that I get to feeling sorry for myself sometime, but I am determined to take this to the end and I'm so grateful to have this place to check in with all of you!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    Hi Motherduck!

I had a lot to lose when I started (no pun intended). My doctor said that I was the sickest person, with the most weight to lose, that she had ever signed up for this diet. I wore that as a badge. I was determined to prove to her that I could do it. And I HAVE! I have never eaten one thing off of protocol, even if I want everything I see at the grocery store. I have had extra protein drinks when I absolutely think I have to eat. I just go with the belief that all I have to do is follow the guidelienes and the weight will take care of itself. My health issues are resolving themselves (insulin dependent diabetic) and my blood pressure is down. I spent 20 years as a bulimic and when I recovered from that the food was still an issue. I kept on gaining without success at any diet I would try. This is the first time in many years that i feel free. It scares me to death to think about going off of Phase one, but with the help of all of you, in about 50 pounds, I will be able to do it. It is not about the weight for us - it is so we find peace and contentment with our lives. You can do this one day at a time with the help of the beautiful people on this board and the belief in your self. I don't post alot - usually if I really have something to say, and I guess today was the day. I love and believe in all of you! I hope no one thinks I am bragging because I am not like that, but I am living proof that this diet works and we can do this.
  • Quote: oh thank you for sharing this!!! I just need to know where I can purchases a NON sweetened with anything artificial protein whey powder?? I was searching online and found some with stevia- no no!! I want NO Sweeteners of any kind..does anyone know of any? I would need 18 grams protein per drink and low carbs and low calories like IP to ( I sound like Tim Gunn)make it work""
    Coastal:
    Before I started IP we were using Nutribiotic Rice Protein powder, plain. It is protein extracted from whole grain brown rice, and per 15 gram serving it has 55 calories, 1.8 gram carbs, 12 grams protein (so you could use a couple of tablespoons instead of one ).

No other ingredients. Taste, not so great because it is so very plain. Before IP I was mixing it with juice, poor ignorant me - no wonder I wasn't losing weight! But it felt good to eat, nourshing and non-irritating to the system.

The best place pricewise is Vitamin Shoppe, either online or locally if they have it in your area.

In other news, my husband and I spent the day at Sachuest beach in Middletown yesterday - one of my favorite places in the whole world. We even swam twice - I think that's our last time in the ocean in New England for this season!
  • Quote: Good morning! I need a little advice on the Big "C". My girlfriend and I started IP on 8/24/10 and we both have been experiencing it. I have increased my water and have been taking Novalax but it still has been a problem for me. My friend called me last night and asked me to ask you wonderful ladies for help. I know that it is very important to take care of this for our weight loss. HELP!!!
    I bought the enzymes from my coach this week, and they WORK!!! Going to cut back on them LOL.
  • Quote: I found this awesome flavored water called MetroMint. The have peppermint, spearmint, chocolate might, and now berrymint. I love the chocolate mint. If you've ever had mint chip ice cream... yea.. HEAVEN! The good thing is its 0 everything. So its a nice treat than plain water. I'm excited to find the berrymint.

... I'm finding about an hour after I eat dinner, I feel like I haven't eaten all day.
    Thanks for reminding me about the METROMINT, I tried it a while back and loved it. Can't find it around my small town but I will definately be getting some when I go back to the city.

I get that gnawing feeling in my stomach - like I haven't eaten all day, too. Sometimes I have another packet but a lot of the time I just go to bed early and of course am starving by morning.

Keep up the good work ---- you are doing great!!
  • Quote: Had to share... after a way-off-track weekend last weekend celebrating DH's 30th, I got strict... welcome back, ketosis... and lost enough (7.4) to hit my 50 lbs this week! 50 POUNDS!!! 11 weeks is what that took. AH!!! So excited today! (I'm not quite 1/3 of the way to my goal, but I've never stuck with any diet over 25 lbs of loss, so YES, I can do it!!)
    That's awesome! I'll bet it feels great!

Quote: Hi all,

I'm guessing this would qualify as a NSV...I was letting my dogs out tonight and two of the neighbor men were across the street talking and one yelled over "how much weight have you lost?" and I said 49 lbs. The reply came back, "Well, you look great" to which I replied, "Well, I feel great...but I'm not finished yet"...and then the other voice from across the street said "Well, you're going to be a Cougar". Made me laugh...I'm probably more of a kitty-cat! It felt wonderful tho.

Marilyn
    Definitely a NSV and a fun one!

Quote: Does anyone know of a low sodium soy sauce? I looked on the recipe forum, but did not find anything.
    Kikoman's makes a low-sodium soy sauce.

Quote: Good morning! I need a little advice on the Big "C". My girlfriend and I started IP on 8/24/10 and we both have been experiencing it. I have increased my water and have been taking Novalax but it still has been a problem for me. My friend called me last night and asked me to ask you wonderful ladies for help. I know that it is very important to take care of this for our weight loss. HELP!!!
    Magnesium Citrate which is an oral solution. I add 1 Tablespoon to my morning blueberry/cranberry/pomegranate drink if things are moving well and 2 Tablespoons if they aren't. Because it is citrus flavored and slightly carbonated, it actually tastes good in the drink. You can also just drink it. It has helped so much and it's very inexpensive. Just make sure you get the one that is sucrose free. Good Neighbor Pharmacy is my brand. You'll find it with the laxatives but it's in a bottle because it's liquid.
  • Feeling a bit out of sorts...
    Scale hasn't budged all week. Eating protocol, no slips. Cleaned out my closet and have a bag of clothes to give away, still feeling a bit disappointed. Tell myself I shouldn't...just coming off of a 9lb weight loss for the last 2 weeks and body needs time to adjust. All in all, I have been on the diet 70 days and lost 39 lbs which is a phenomenol success! Can't expect big losses every week. It is amazing how we set our selves up for failure! Really??? losing over 1/2 lb per day isn't good enough? How crazy is that thinking. Need to remind myself that just over 2 months ago I was wearing 20W-22W and now in a solid 16 misses! How long ago has that been? I will stick to plan, weigh in tomorrow and look for success next week. Perhaps I should not measure success by the scale but rather by sticking to plan!
  • Quote: I've been doing great the last few days... NO CHEATS! I've been starting to figure out how to spice things up a little bit better, which has been helping me dramatically. I found this awesome flavored water called MetroMint. The have peppermint, spearmint, chocolate might, and now berrymint. I love the chocolate mint. If you've ever had mint chip ice cream... yea.. HEAVEN! The good thing is its 0 everything. So its a nice treat than plain water. I'm excited to find the berrymint.

I know you're not supposed to do a lot of exercising at first, but I have been walking more and more and I've got to say.. I feel awesome after walking. I can totally see and feel a difference in my legs. Mind you, I'm not walking miles, but a good 20-30 minutes of a "decent" pace for me. However, the last two nights of which I haven't walked... I'm finding about an hour after I eat dinner, I feel like I haven't eaten all day. It's really weird because I tried moving up my snack to comfort the hungriness.... and it really hasn't helped. Last night I made some turnip chips to fill the void rather than cheat. I realize that most would say just have another packet, but I'm finding that is not helping much. I know it says we can have unlimited lettuce, but it that just at meal times or if I'm feeling hungry can I chow down on a salad in between as well? I'm loving this program and I really want to stick to my guns here... but gosh darn my "I'm hungry, please feed me all the time" belly.

In other news, today I found that diet rite zero cola might be something I'll get for those days when I'm really craving a soda... as its made with splenda and all zeros otherwise. It's funny, but when I was looking at drinks at my grocery store and asked my grocer about the sugar free, carb free, decaf drinks... he said " are you doing this for diet purposes? Because it's definitely showing!" My fat little heart blushed, I swear! (I live in a tiny town where everyone knows everyone.)

Congrats on everyone sticking to it throughout the weekend and all the successful wi's. Man, I'm excited for the holidays to come rolling around.. not because of the food, but because my family will finally get to see the new and improved thinner me... and I don't have to worry about a new years resolution this comming year, I've already have a lifetime resolution in the works.
    Good morning everyone!
    I am in Canada, so hope I can find these MetroMint drinks here. I am fine with drinking lots of water all day long, but in the evening I'd like something "special". This is going to sound like I'm a regular wino, but part of my weight problem came from the fact that I would come home from a long day at work to relax with a couple of glasses of wine. I seriously did not know how I was going to give that up. Thankfully it hasn't been that hard. I've bought some grapefruit Perrier and have it in a wine glass and I'm good to go! However, Perrier is not the best because of the carbonation, and Crystal light has aspartame, so I'm looking for something better to substitute.
    As to feeling hungry after dinner, I've felt the same a few days this week. During the day I've been fine, but an hour after dinner (chicken breast, steamed broccoli/cauliflower and salad) I have mild hunger pangs. My evening snack fixed it up though.
    On another note, I just had the omelet for breakfast and it was fabulous! I sauteed up a few mushrooms first then added the omelet mix. Delicious!
    Last night we did a chicken stir fry with bean sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and green onion. It was great too! I know I am eating a lot healthier, and my body can tell.
    I have arthritis in my hip and I realized yesterday that it wasn't giving me any grief, even after an afternoon of gardening!