Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/140/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Upcoming Thanksgiving

Since I am in Canada, I am already starting to think about Thanksgiving which is in 3 weeks here. I have already resigned myself to the fact I will not be able to have traditional stuffing or mashed potatoes but I am having trouble with the fact I can't have my cranberries with my turkey. I don't like gravy and I LOVE cranberries. Anyone have any suggestions for me. My coach is going to be gathering some recipes to send out to her clients to help them get ready for the big feast but thought some of you here might also have some good Thanksgiving recipes.
kea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #2  
kju

S/C/G: 192/182/150

Height: 5'6"

I've been thinking the same thing - it's really not that far away - sigh - I suppose I can do without one Thanksgiving feast in exchange for a healthy weight.
kju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

I am hosting our Thanksgiving feast..and as my DD & Sis are on IP we are going to make it as ip friendly as possible. I too love stuffing and cranberry sauce, BUT I am thinking I can forgo it this year....am looking forward to Christmas as I hope to be in Phase 4 by then. There is next year when we will be able to enjoy the feast at a healthy weight!!!
For our feast we are having.....turkey (of course), broccoli (am going to experiment and try to duplicate the regular broccoli salad, if it works out I will post it), oven roasted cauliflower, turnips, a huge salad, and for our dessert I will make the ip butterscotch pudding with pumpkin pie spice in it (tastes like pumpkin pie). Will also make the other stuff for the rest of the family.
Journeysend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kea66 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for me. My coach is going to be gathering some recipes to send out to her clients to help them get ready for the big feast but thought some of you here might also have some good Thanksgiving recipes.
Do definitely try the mashed cauliflower a la mashed potatoes. It is really good. But gee, have you all forgotten you have to get through Halloween, first? Every office I was in today had a vat of little candy bars or corn syrup-laden candy corn on a desk, or counter, or both.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not on your plan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if you really feel like you can't get through without cranberries, they aren't very sweet on their own, and you can make a sauce from scratch sweetened with Splenda. A whole cup of raw cranberries has 13 grams of carbohydrate, 5 of which are from fiber. That leaves 8 grams total, in a cup, of carbohydrate. If you sweetened with a non-caloric sweetener, and had a reasonable 2 tbsp serving, that's only about a single gram of carbohydrate.

In some cases, knowing you can't resist something and planning ahead to have a "closer to on plan" version can prevent major derailing.

Here's one recipe - it has a small amount of cornstarch to thicken - you could omit if you felt it necessary, but again, its a very small amount.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homema...ce/Detail.aspx

I know IP has a strict protocol and is particularly limiting on carbs, but if depriving yourself of cranberry sauce and therefore diving into the leftover pie is at all a possibility, it might be worth making some sauce and having a small amount.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
I am hosting our Thanksgiving feast..and as my DD & Sis are on IP we are going to make it as ip friendly as possible. I too love stuffing and cranberry sauce, BUT I am thinking I can forgo it this year....am looking forward to Christmas as I hope to be in Phase 4 by then. There is next year when we will be able to enjoy the feast at a healthy weight!!!
For our feast we are having.....turkey (of course), broccoli (am going to experiment and try to duplicate the regular broccoli salad, if it works out I will post it), oven roasted cauliflower, turnips, a huge salad, and for our dessert I will make the ip butterscotch pudding with pumpkin pie spice in it (tastes like pumpkin pie). Will also make the other stuff for the rest of the family.
You are one brave woman. Proud of you for your plan -- it sounds like you've got it all lined out. The cooking for others would kill me. In fact, my sweet DH asked how long it would be after I phased off that I'd consider making my famous chocolate chip cookies.
JessicaCourez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I started IP 3 days before thanksgiving last year. For my thanksgiving I had mashed rutabaga, green beans, cooked rhubarb (instead of cranberry), turkey with herbed au jus, a salad and, dessert was butterscotch pudding. It was really quite satisfying and I didn't feel like I missed a thing.

Try checking out the original recipe thread posts (not recipes 2). It was the active thread during the Holiday time last year. Also, read some of the earlier posts if you want tips for how people made it through the holidays last year.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-recipes.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3018619-post231.html Princass' Thanksgiving IP appropriate stuffing

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ml#post3000488 Last November's posts with some Thanksgiving and holiday chatter

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3018507-post389.html Hints from Sandrab on how she did her Canadian Thanksgiving. She has a WF hint to sub for cranberry
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote