Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #1  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Avocado oil - is it allowed?

So I went to the Sat&Sun Market in Portland, & they had this great Avocado & Chili oil. Tasted great, & would be perfect for me for cooking my fish (past of my 2 tsp/day).

Anyone know if this is an OK oil for the diet?
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/620/2

The above links allow you to compare the chemistry of the two oils. They are the same calories and fat content per tsp however, olive oil gives you some added vitamins E and K.

if you go all the way to the bottom of the page you can see the fats and fatty acid make up of the 2 oils are also comparable. You do get more omega 3 and 6 from the avocado oil.

I know we are allowed walnut oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, so... just my guess the avocado oil should be ok too especially with its similarities to olive oil.

I just wouldn't fully replace the olive oil with the avocado. we need the vitamin e.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #3  

Thanks for this suggestion, sgorny... & for the great info, showgirlaz... I'm gonna see if I can find some... this part of Texas's answer to Whole Foods Market is United Market Street, bet they've got it...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I think it would be ok. I love avocados and my coach asked about them. She received the "OK" and told me that I can have 1/4th of an avocado in place of the 2tsp of olive oil. Ask your coach and see what they say. I can ask when I go to my WI tomorrow. She can just text or email her IP contact and he gets back to her really quickly.
CUSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSU View Post
I think it would be ok. I love avocados and my coach asked about them. She received the "OK" and told me that I can have 1/4th of an avocado in place of the 2tsp of olive oil. Ask your coach and see what they say. I can ask when I go to my WI tomorrow. She can just text or email her IP contact and he gets back to her really quickly.
Weird...on my Phase 1 & 2 sheets it lists avocado as "not permitted."
Sweetstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I know we are allowed walnut oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, so... just my guess the avocado oil should be ok too especially with its similarities to olive oil.
That's interesting news. I'd love a little change on a salad from time to time, walnut oil is the yum! And I do like coconut oil. You're making me dig into my files to pull out my original IP info package to see what's on my list. How could I have missed that?
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

This varies a bit by coach/clinic. My training information came from a few sources, my coach, my regional director, and Dr Tran via email.

The information sheets we are given in our start up packet can not cover every option out there. The best options and most common options are provided.

When it came to many things, I was told to compare the quality and values of the possible item and the known to be ok items if they were alike and the impact was the same, it was ok. We have to have healthy oils and Olive Oil is most beneficial with the added vitamins, most available, and cheapest to buy by comparison.

The goal is to not add too much fat because our bodies will burn off the added fat before choosing to tap into our fat cells for energy. Most people who eat avocado love avocado and moderation becomes an issue so, not allowing it helps to create a built in control to avoid the overeating, the excess calories, and the extra fats.

I believe Dr Tran's ebook and website actually state the use of the walnut oil on them.

I received and extra sheet from my coach when I began the program with a list of "ok to use this" items and the healthy oils were on my starter sheet.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #8  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Thanks so much to everyone for the information.

I have just been using the olive oil to cook, and usually only 1-1/2 tsp per day. My coach said I didn't even have to use it, if I didn't want, but I thought it would help my skin. Also, I probably get enough E, as I take all the recommended supplements, plus Vit B12, B1, high dose C, magnesium, and fish oil.

It will give me a wonderful bite to my food!

Also, if anyone out there loves hot spices, try "Togarashi" seasoning. It's a 7-spice seasoning from Japan (totally different from 5-spice), that will give a kick to any dish you love! Very popular in Japan, supposedly it's in every noodle house there. Yummy!!
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote