Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #1  

Default IP and whey intolerance

I've searched the IP FAQ's and threads without success, so am writing here for help. Since starting IP (am into my 4th week), I have developed tongue sores, a swollen throat and very, very red and chapped lips. I googled all of these symptoms and think that I may be allergic to whey. Since this is a main ingredient in many of the IP foods, I am at a loss as to what to do. Am having great success with IP and don't even want to stop, so does anyone have any suggestions or input? Have any of you experienced these symptoms?
Thanking you in advance.....Pam
smallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgirl View Post
I've searched the IP FAQ's and threads without success, so am writing here for help. Since starting IP (am into my 4th week), I have developed tongue sores, a swollen throat and very, very red and chapped lips. I googled all of these symptoms and think that I may be allergic to whey. Since this is a main ingredient in many of the IP foods, I am at a loss as to what to do. Am having great success with IP and don't even want to stop, so does anyone have any suggestions or input? Have any of you experienced these symptoms?
Check the IP - Food Alternatives thread. Post 5 has a pdf attached that lists all the ingredients of almost all the IP packets as of the date of the post. If you are experiencing an allergic reaction to whey, I think you may need to find another program; if I recall correctly it's in almost everything.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgirl View Post
Thanking you in advance.....Pam

If you are allergic to whey or just want to test if you are allergic to whey, you could try doing this program with a different protein drink.

My suggestion is go to www.trantiendiet.com Read the website by Dr Tran. He explains how you could do this program and notes you can use a protein portion or packet. Read the literature/book he wrote. It is available online and is very helpful.

THEN, buy a protein product from a reliable health food store that is WHEY FREE. There are several out there. My sister uses some that are pea protein, chia protein, and hemp protein based. She has several milk, dairy, whey allergies.

You would have a more limited base of foods to meet your protein but, it would allow you to use the tenants of this program which, is excellent, and manage your food intolerance too.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #4  

I am providing a list of all the products I can find that are whey free, admittedly it is not all the products IP has so, I may not be as complete as I can be.

My suggestion is to start with whey free products, see if the reaction continues then eliminate another commonality. For instance, you could remove products with Acesulfame K.

The following products were the ones I found that are Whey Free.

Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink

Ingredients:
Collagen protein, citric acid, blueberry juice powder, natural flavour fruits, malic acid, cranberry juice powder, pomegranate juice powder, calcium gluconate, calcium glycinate, acesulfame potassium (70mg/packet), calcium citrate, sucralose (27mg/packet), silicon dioxide.

Wildberry Yogurt

Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, lactoserum protein isolate, albumin, artificial & natural flavours, ascorbic acid, sea salt, xanthan gum, microcrystalline cellulose, citric acid, dehydrated blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, potassium acesulfame (39mg/packet), sucralose (36mg/packet), silicon dioxide.

Orange Pancake
Ingredients:
Oat bran flour, calcium caseinate, oat bran, milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, albumin, citrisweet, natural flavours, sea salt, silicon dioxide

Plain Crepe
Ingredients:
Oat bran flour, calcium caseinate, oat bran, milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, albumin, sea salt, silicon dioxide.

Fine Herbs and Cheese Omelet
Ingredients:
Albumin protein, milk protein concentrate, soy protein concentrate, dehydrated red and green peppers, natural flavours, onion powder, potassium chloride, sea salt, fine herbs, colour, garlic powder, silicon dioxide

Vegetable Chili
Ingredients:
Textured soy protein, dehydrated vegetables (red beans, tomatoes, onions, red bell peppers and garlic), modified corn starch, hydrolyzed vegetable proteins (wheat, corn and soy), sunflower oil, sugar, spices, guar gum, citric acid, silicon dioxide, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, caramel colour.

Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
Soy protein isolate, artificial and natural flavours, sea salt, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, yeast extract, xanthan gum, spices, silicon dioxide, colour.

Leek Soup
Ingredients:
Soy protein isolate, sea salt, onion powder, natural flavours, leek powder, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, yeast extract, xanthan gum, silicon dioxide.

Hearty Stew
Ingredients:
Texturized soy protein, potato flour, dehydrated vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic), sunflower oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, pea protein isolate, natural flavour (beef fat), spices, salt, caramel colour (sulphites), guar gum, autolyzed yeast extract, parsley flakes, tapioca starch.

Bolognese Spaghetti
Ingredients:
Textured soy protein, egg noodles (durum wheat flour, water,dried yolk), dehydrated vegetables (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic), sugar, modified corn starch, hydrolyzed vegetable porteins (wheat, corn and soy), sunflower oil, salt, soy fiber, spices, caramel colour (sulphites), annato, natural flavours.

Banana Pudding
Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, natural flavour, sea salt, xanthan gum, skim milk powder, colour, sucralose (30mg/packet), silicon dioxide, acesulfame potassium (20mg/packet).

Cookies-n-Cream Bar

Ingredients:
Soy nuggets (isolated soy protein, rice starch), organic brown rice syrup, white chocolate (maltitol, fractionated palm kernel oil, milk protein isolate, milk fat, soy lecithin, and artificial flavour), isolated soy protein, cookies (enriched flour, sugar, vegetable oil shortening (vegetable oil, coconut oil), cocoa, corn starch, glucose, salt, modified milk ingredient, soya lecithin, natural flavour), organic agave syrup, glycerin, cocoa powder, high oleic sunflower oil, artificial flavour, natural flavours, soy lecithin (as emulsifier).

Butterscotch Pudding
Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, natural flavours, sea salt, xanthan gum, colour, sucralose (30mg/packet), silicon dioxide, acesulfame potassium (20mg/packet).

Chocolate Pudding
Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, cocoa, soy protein isolate, chocolate powder, sea salt, xanthan gum, color (caramel powder), sucralose, silicon dioxide

Lemon Pudding

Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, sea salt, xanthan gum, citric acid, natural flavours, skim milk, colour, sucralose (33mg/packet), acesulfame potassium (33mg/packet), silicon dioxide

Strawberry Pudding
Ingredients:
Milk protein concentrate, skim milk, natural flavour, xanthan gum, whey protein isolate, sea salt, citric acid, colour, dehydrated strawberry, sucralose (50 mg / pouch), silicone dioxide.

Choco-Banana Bar

Ingredients:
Soy nuggets (isolated soy protein, rice starch)., dark chocolate coating (maltitol, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, cocoa powder, milk, soy lecithin, vanilla extract), organic agave syrup, brown rice syrup, isolated soy protein, liquid polydextrose, dextrose, dextrin, soy protein nuggets (soy protein isolate, rice flour, malt extract, and salt), bananas, high oleic sunflower oil, glycerin, natural flavour, soy lecithin (as emulsifier).

Raspberry Jelly
Ingredients:
Hydrolyzed collagen, gelatin, colour (beetroot powder), citric acid, natural and artificial flavours, potassium citrate, sucralose (50mg/packet), tricalcium phosphate.

White Choco-Cinnamon bar
Ingredients:
Soy nuggets (isolated soy protein, rice starch)., organic brown rice syrup, white chocolate (maltitol, fractionated palm kernel oil, milk protein isolate, milk fat, soy lecithin, and artificial flavour), soy protein nuggets (soy protein isolate, rice flour, malt extract, and salt), isolated soy protein, glycerin, organic agave syrup, high oleic sunflower oil, cinnamon, natural flavour, soy lecithin (as emulsifier).

Choco-Raspberry Bar

Ingredients:
Soy nuggets (isolated soy protein, rice starch), chocolate coating (maltitol, fractionated palm kernel oil, cocoa powder, inulin, soy lecithin, acesulfame K, vanilla and sucralose), organic agave syrup, soy protein nuggets (soy protein isolate, rice flour, malt extract and salt), liquid polydextrose, brown rice syrup, isolated soy protein, high oleic sunflower oil, natural flavour, dextrose, dextrin, beet juice, soy lecithin (as emulsifier).

Soy Nuts - Garlic & Onions
Ingredients:
Soybeans, seasoning (salt, sugar, autolysed yeast extract, yeast, onion powder, spices, garlic powder, vegetable oil, silicon dioxide), sunflower oil.

Soy Nuts – BBQ
Ingredients:
Soybeans, BBQ seasoning (sugar, salt, yeast, spice, onion powder, tomato powder, garlic powder, citric acid, artificial flavour, silicon dioxide), sunflower oil.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #5  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Carla.... good to see you back we all missed you... smallgirl just FYI on the jello & blueberry,cranberry, pom drink although they dont have whey they are not as complete proteins (just collegen) as the other packet, so I was told you should not have 1 of these per day, use these as extras packets or a couple of times per week, good luck!
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
Carla.... good to see you back we all missed you... smallgirl just FYI on the jello & blueberry,cranberry, pom drink although they dont have whey they are not as complete proteins (just collegen) as the other packet, so I was told you should not have 1 of these per day, use these as extras packets or a couple of times per week, good luck!
Thanks Wannabe!

Yes, I wouldn't recommend using the blueberry or the jello as stand alone items anymore. I think they are still essential though. It is also nice that they can offer variety especially for someone who has whey OR soy allergies.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #7  

Default Milk protein concentrate vs whey protein isolate

I just did a little research to find out about milk protein concentrate (MPC). Here's what I found on the site of a manufacturer of MPS:

Quote:
MPC contains micellar casein, whey proteins, and bioactive proteins in the same ratio found in milk. As the protein content of MPC increases, the lactose levels decrease. This high-protein low-lactose ratio makes MPC an excellent ingredient for protein-fortified beverages and foods and low-carbohydrate foods.
It's a little confusing, because the paragraph above says the the membrane filtration process removes whey protein and casein molecules because they are larger than the "holes in the filter."
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #8  

I have since heard from my coach re my possible whey allergy, and he's scratching his head. Has suggested that I go off IP for a wk -but all of your suggestions sound MUCH better to me. I don't want to stop! So, in compromise, will alleviate all IP whey products, monitor my symptoms and get back to you all. Your support and idea's are invaluable to me, esp. since today I feel like the rug has been yanked from under me-VULNERABLE.
smallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote