Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #1  

Unhappy Help My Hair is Falling Out!!

The last few days I've really noticed my hair is falling out. I've noticed this somewhat before, but never this bad. It's pretty scary! I've been on the diet for about 5mos now, and lost about 40lbs. I'm planning to start phasing out next week as I'm going on a cruise in a month. I'm close to goal and don't want to go on a cruise without phasing out first. Just hope I'm not bald by then! It is falling out big time! Any suggestions? I could sure use some help here.
Lose4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/178/149

Height: 5'8

I'm having the exact same thing. I am just starting week 3 and for the past week I've been losing hair by the handfuls.
1ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #3  

Default B vitamins

Although the supplements have B vitamins you probably aren't getting enough. Use a liquid sublingual that has all the Bs (Biotin, B12, niacin, B6 etc etc) I take shots because I have an absorption problem. I have a B12 and folate deficiency and my symptoms were hair loss .. a LOT of hair loss (lost about 30 to 40 percent of my hair), depression, emotional ups and downs problems with memory.. etc.. if you don't have a issue with intrinsic factor (which I do) then you should do well with sublingual Bs. Good luck.
ponzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #4  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Be very careful... although diet can most definitely cause hair loss, there are other issues that do, too, as in my case. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor to rule out any other possibilities.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.6/215.6/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ladybug View Post
I'm having the exact same thing. I am just starting week 3 and for the past week I've been losing hair by the handfuls.
This diet could very well cause temporary hair loss, but that wouldn't show up for a couple of months - not after 2 weeks. I'd check for other causes.
gibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #6  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lose4Good View Post
The last few days I've really noticed my hair is falling out. I've noticed this somewhat before, but never this bad. It's pretty scary! I've been on the diet for about 5mos now, and lost about 40lbs. I'm planning to start phasing out next week as I'm going on a cruise in a month. I'm close to goal and don't want to go on a cruise without phasing out first. Just hope I'm not bald by then! It is falling out big time! Any suggestions? I could sure use some help here.
See message #338 in the Life After thread... page 9.
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #7  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

it's not uncommon on high protein diets to have some hair loss... do check with your doctor and also may I suggest you start using Nioxin hair products... they are AWESOME for thinning hair and such.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

If you read the website for the DR who created this plan ( www.trantienddiet.com) he has a list of things that can happen - adverse effects and hair loss is on there.

I also lost hair beginning in month 3. I added a hair supplement to help with the healthy hair and regrowth. I chose michael's hair, skin, nails. For me, I think it was the shock of losing so quickly and the change in my nutrition. I am now at 8 months and I do see my hair back at a normal rate of loss and filling in a bit.

I never went totally bald. Thinner than I wanted happened but, not to an embarassing level of loss.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #9  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
If you read the website for the DR who created this plan ( www.trantienddiet.com)
There's an extra 'd' in Carla's link. Correct address is www.trantiendiet.com.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #10  

I'm also notticing a huge amount of hair loss. I'm kinda worried about it, so tomorrow I'm going to buy Nioxin, and a supplement if I find one..

I've done some research, and it seems to talk about a zinc supplement, or a vitamin B supplement.. Is there anyone here who know wich one is better, and when should I take them ?
1FCuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
I'm also noticing a huge amount of hair loss. I'm kinda worried about it, so tomorrow I'm going to buy Nioxin, and a supplement if I find one..

I've done some research, and it seems to talk about a zinc supplement, or a vitamin B supplement.. Is there anyone here who know which one is better, and when should I take them ?
Nioxin is a bit expensive and isn't effective on every type of hair loss. Paula Begoun, who has reviewed medical journals and evaluated skin care, cosmetic and hair products for 20 years, thinks Nioxin products are hype. Google
site:cosmeticscop.com "nioxin"

As for brands of vitamins, Quest, Jamieson and Natural Factors are a good brand you can get fairly easily in Canada. Pharmaprix (or Shoppers in English Canada) carries Jamieson for sure and probably Quest. Health food stores will carry the others, if Pharmaprix doesn't.

Also consider taking vitamin D3 (cholcalciferol) gel caps; they're very inexpensive 120 for $7. Be sure you're getting D3, cholcalciferol, not any other version of vitamin D. Chocalciferol is the human form of the hormone.

You could try either the 500 IU or the 1000 IU caps once or twice a day to see if that helps. I've been taking 3000 IU/day for the last few weeks as a preventative measure. If you're concerned about taking too much, consider that going outside on a sunny summer day (even in Quebec!) for 20 minutes in a bikini, your skin would make about 10,000 IU of vitamin D3.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 08-26-2010 at 06:27 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Nioxin is a bit expensive and isn't effective on every type of hair loss. Paula Begoun, who has reviewed medical journals and evaluated skin care, cosmetic and hair products for 20 years, thinks Nioxin products are hype. Google

As for brands of vitamins, Quest, Jamieson and Natural Factors are a good brand you can get fairly easily in Canada. Pharmaprix (or Shoppers in English Canada) carries Jamieson for sure and probably Quest. Health food stores will carry the others, if Pharmaprix doesn't.

Also consider taking vitamin D3 (cholcalciferol) gel caps; they're very inexpensive 120 for $7. Be sure you're getting D3, cholcalciferol, not any other version of vitamin D. Chocalciferol is the human form of the hormone.

You could try either the 500 IU or the 1000 IU caps once or twice a day to see if that helps. I've been taking 3000 IU/day for the last few weeks as a preventative measure. If you're concerned about taking too much, consider that going outside on a sunny summer day (even in Quebec!) for 20 minutes in a bikini, your skin would make about 10,000 IU of vitamin D3.
Thanks so much for the information !!

I'll go tonight to pharmaprix, and see what they carry, and I'll be sure to post it back here

And for the Nioxin, I think I'll give it a try also. I'm used to pay 20+$ for my shampoo and lotion so it doesn't really matter for me If I'm getting BedHead producs or Nioxin !!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #13  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Hmmm don't know about the hype part.

I have modeled many many times for Nioxin and seen people with alopecia recover hair...one of the models with me actually... she had a bald spot and it was fine with Nioxin.... so much so that I saw her on a later hair show working with another company and running into the Nioxin booth to get more because she had stopped using it and the hair had fallen off again... so I guess it depends then.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #14  

Okay so I've bought Nioxin, and also Nutricap : Nutricap contains a complex of vitamin B, Biotine, Vitamin E, Zinc extracted from yeast, whey proteins, Horsetail extract (Equisetum arvense) and Walnut Oil (Juglans regia)
The capsule contains soya oil. The gelatine used for the capsule comes from beef.

I have many friends who have used it before, and they were really happy about it. The price is not too high, so I'll see.

I'm just wondering when should I take it. I already take many supplement and I don't want to interfer, so.. does anybody have a suggestion ?

I take my multivitamin and Potassium at 8h00 am
My BC pill (wich is Yasmin) at 2h15 pm
Multivitamin and Calcium at 5h00
Calcium at 10pm..

I was thinking about taking them at 12h00, with my lunch (they recommend to take it with food), but I don't know if it's too near my BC pill...
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #15  
:)

S/C/G: 222/195/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
bumping for Melissa
Thanks for the bump, dear! I think there's been some information on the Saturday thread that should be copied here! also that information that you added - the whole article should be here. What do you think?
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote