Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/167/130

Height: 5"2

Default Starting IP this Tue 8/17/10 any advice???

Hello everyone:
Im starting IP this tues and I can't wait I have 3 family members my aunt and 2 cousins that are doing it and they look amazing. I want this for myself very badly but I am a little nervous. Any advice about what food choices are really great or things to watch out for especially the first wk please and thank you
coolhair24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #2  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I had the pineapple mango juice for the first breakfast, and the chicken soup for my first lunch... and haven't been able to touch them since. I should really try them again, but it's all in my head.. Haha!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Coolhair24
Welcome and congratulations on taking the IP plunge! Be really caring and good to yourself the first few days. Hopefully, you will get through with few or minimal problems. I have so much to lose it was overwhelming. Finally, I decided that by limiting what I ate according to IP, I was opening myself to unlimited possibilities with health and wellness. Also, I tried to focus on only what I can do TODAY...

All the best!

Last edited by CUSU; 08-12-2010 at 11:53 AM.
CUSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhair24 View Post
Hello everyone:
Im starting IP this tues and I can't wait. Any advice about what food choices are really great or things to watch out for especially the first wk please and thank you
On the advice of a friend and my coach a high protein packet for breakfast. I have had the omelet for breakfast almost every day since the start.

Opinions vary on the soups; I really like all of them as soups or as sauces over steamed vegetables. Try a lot of different packets if you can. What you like and don't like will be very different from other people, even close family members.

My regular packets:
- omelet
- soups: mushroom, leek and chicken
- puddings: chocolate and vanilla
- cereal
- raspberry jelly (jello)
- pina colada drink

Do you consume artificial sweeteners now? If not, you **may** (or may not ) notice some discomfort as only 4 unrestricted foods have no artificial sweetener (the 3 soups and the omelet.) I had unusual tingling sensations in my legs and feet, probably because I ate more "sucralose" and "acesulfame K" in my first week than I had in the previous year. I limited my "sweet" packs to 1/day for a couple weeks to adjust. Now I limit to one pack with ace K per day. I seem to be ok with the sucralose only packs.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/155/155 -- revised to /145

Height: 5'6"

Just finishing up week 2, so here's my newbie advice:

For the drinks, pudding, etc., use really, really cold water. Helps it go down those first few days when you're getting used to the packets. Even now, I fill my shaker up with water for the next meal or snack and put it in the frig so it's good and cold when meal time comes. Sometimes I even pop it back in the frig for 10 minutes before drinking.

My first packet was the peach mango drink and the second, chocolate pudding. The peach mango drink just about derailed me on Day 1. I could hardly gag down the chocolate pudding (too thick). The next morning, I found myself lying in bed, not wanting to get up because I knew I had to have a packet.

After that, I experimented with the amount of water and I find it best if I use a little more water than called for. Since then, I haven't had anything I really don't like. I use the chocolate and vanilla puddings as drinks. (Yum!)

Don't be tempted to subsitute or cheat! Measure your food. If you don't have a food scale, get one. Plan your meals in advance: Buy your veggies, wash em and cut them up and store them in the frig in baggies or containers, so it's easy to incorporate them, even if you are in a hurry.

Spend some time on here reading all the posts. There's a tremendous amount of support and knowledge here, just for the asking!

If you follow protocol, you will be amazed at the results! (Hope this helps)

Good luck!
calebs grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 141.5/135.5/130-132?

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Just finishing up week 2, so here's my newbie advice:

The next morning, I found myself lying in bed, not wanting to get up because I knew I had to have a packet.
That made me laugh out loud! I'm just on day two, but I'm finding myself having odd feelings about the packets. I had butterscotch pudding the first day and it was really good. Now when I think about it, I almost gag. Same goes for the chicken soup I had for lunch, I didn't use as much water, so it had a thicker almost casserole like consistency- again, good at the time, now- blech.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #7  

Wow thanx everyone I busted out laughing thanx calebs grandma how funny about the laying in bed comment. These are the things that I will deff need while im starting on this new adventure. I had 1 of my favorite meals today for the last time, for a long long time lol. It was so good all the yummy carbs that I could possibly have in one sitting. Chicken mozembique, white rice, french fries and a egg. This is a delicious Portuguese meal and I said my good byes at the end. I luv being apart of this forum thank you everyone who took the time to respond. I will deff be using this for all my IP ?? and needs. Tty all soon xo coolhair24
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

I did not have a hard time with the taste of the packets. At first, I thought they were a little bland...coming from my normal diet of carbs, fat, sugar and salt...which is understandable...however, now I think they taste good...I add herbs to the soup and omlett...cinnamon to the vanilla pudding...etc...makes a big difference. Try the various products to find your favorites. I love the bars and they do a great job of helping with carb cravings and really fill me up...Check out the recipe section....lots of ideas to keep you from getting bored with selectons! Congrats on your decision to start IP...It is truly a great program. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it!
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #9  

Coolhair- I'm so glad I only had a day's notice as to when I was going to start, otherwise I would have been eating "my last meal" for a week!! I'm on day 3. I don't want to say it's easy by any means, but I think because I ate a pretty healthy diet prior to starting I haven't felt as bad as I could have. I think the best advice I can give (not that I'm qualified yet!!) is to take one day at a time. I keep catching myself wondering, "how long will I be on phase 1?" "How long can I live on these packets?" and when I do, I panic a little, but I know I can stick to the plan until I go to bed tonight and tomorrow is another day. I really really enjoyed my steamed green beans with olive oil, salt and pepper with dinner tonight. I'm really happy to be reminded how much I enjoy food in it's near natural form instead of processed to death.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #10  

Tucker I deff agree. I eat a pretty healthy diet as well but it includes carbs. I luv salads, fish chicken but I luv cheese and yogurt things like that will be hard for me the most I think. Also fruit who doesnt luv watermelon how am I supposse to go the rest of the summer w no more fruit thats a lil depressing
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #11  

I was about to say that it might not be the rest of the summer, but then remembered that Labor day is soon! It's not forever, fruit gets reintroduced in one of the phases (again, trying not to think too far ahead)

I just had chocolate covered soy puffs and I LOVED them. They reminded me of chocolate covered cocoa puffs. It was the crunch that I needed!!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/140/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm on day 5 and only today am I not feeling hunger pains..actually I still am but not nearly as intense. Be prepared to feel hungry for the first few days. I am told it is normal and then that hungry feeling goes away.
I agree to take it one day at a time BUT you do have to plan ahead. I'm not particularly domestic and we have pretty bland meals for the most part but they always included a starch/carb of some sort so now I have to really think about what I'm going to have if my family is having pasta etc.
I haven't had my first WI yet but I don't think I have lost as much as I hoped, but I won't get discouraged.
Good luck!!
kea66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/210/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhair24 View Post
Hello everyone:
Im starting IP this tues and I can't wait I have 3 family members my aunt and 2 cousins that are doing it and they look amazing. I want this for myself very badly but I am a little nervous. Any advice about what food choices are really great or things to watch out for especially the first wk please and thank you
I just started this week and am on day 5. I have found that you need to add a little more water than it states for most everything. My coach suggested warming the soup and pouring it over the veggies which was very good idea. I used the leek soup with my zucchini and it was very good. The puddings need extra water for sure and make sure it is cold. I have a britta (not sure spelling) in my fridge with water so its cold. I also heat the choc. drink mix and its really good, like hot choc., but you need extra water there.

I found a posted recipe using the raspberry jelly, vinegar, oil for a salad dressing and its very good too (once I figured out what the rasp. jelly was).

I add extra seasoning to the soups.

My mindset for the first week was try it, if I didn't like it, tweak it the next time by adding more water or some spice. Second time was always better. So do give up after one bad or so-so experience with the packets. Check the recipe threads, they are really useful.

Good luck.
gmfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #14  

Height: 5'10

The only advise I can give a person when starting this diet is this...dont give up! I too tried the Chicken Soup and the Mango drink on my first day and I hated it. But when they say you loose somewhat of a taste of things during this diet you really do! If you end up hating somthing wait a month (or try to) and then try it again I guarantee it will taste better than the first time around I always come on here for recipies when I am getting burnt out on somthing, or even when I am lacking the motivation to go on. If you follow the program you will lose the weight guaranteed! I have been on it for 3.5 months now and have lost 53lbs, easy? not really..but Ill repeat myself that if you follow the plan and tell yourself you can do it then it will be a breeze I promise you! Your going to do fabulous and feel fabulous!
jamiblenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #15  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

My advice: Preparation, preparation, preparation!

Buy your romaine lettuce and vegetables, take them home and get them all ready to eat. Clean your lettuce and bag it up. Clean and cut your vegetables and bag them up. Thaw your meat in advance if it's frozen.

I do this 2-3 times a week, and I love being able to come straight home from work and have my salad while my husband grills my meat.

P.S. The lemon pudding is horrific IMO.
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote