Help! Cruise coming up ....

• Just starting my second week of IP, and looking forward (?) to a huge challenge: my husband booked an Alaskan cruise for the end of the month.

I'll be four weeks into the program when we leave. I've talked to my coach and she has advised phasing off in the week before we leave. Any suggestions? We will be gone 10 days. I am thinking that I will definately stick to protocal on travel days (3), and then just watch carbs and calories for the rest of the cruise. (We are not drinkers, so alcohol is not an issue) I want to have this all planned out so that I do my very best.

We have booked several land excursions that involve hiking, biking, etc. So my activity level will be up for the week. I'm just so excited about my first week's weight loss, I will not be happy with myself if I gain even 1 pound! But I do want to enjoy the cruise, and of course, the food is a large part of any cruise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Quote: Just starting my second week of IP, and looking forward (?) to a huge challenge: my husband booked an Alaskan cruise for the end of the month.

I'll be four weeks into the program when we leave. I've talked to my coach and she has advised phasing off in the week before we leave. Any suggestions? We will be gone 10 days. I am thinking that I will definately stick to protocal on travel days (3), and then just watch carbs and calories for the rest of the cruise. (We are not drinkers, so alcohol is not an issue) I want to have this all planned out so that I do my very best.

We have booked several land excursions that involve hiking, biking, etc. So my activity level will be up for the week. I'm just so excited about my first week's weight loss, I will not be happy with myself if I gain even 1 pound! But I do want to enjoy the cruise, and of course, the food is a large part of any cruise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cool trip! I used to live in Alaska... you'll have a great time.

I also think you would do well to phase off. You haven't been on long, so perhaps a few days in Phase 2 (which is still in weight loss), then as close to two weeks as you can get on Phase 3. That has worked very well for folks, as we've discussed on the Life After thread...

You should enjoy the food without guilt, come back and jump into Phase 1 again. Keeping your activity level up will help minimize your gains, and you will lose very quickly on your return.

I did a couple of Florida trips on Phase 1 and maintained protocol, but if I'd been going back to Alaska for 10 days--especially on a cruise ship--I'd probably have phased off. I have some favorite eateries (the salmon and halibut are to die for), and I don't get up there very often... it's been years.

That's my advice. Check into what others have done, and see what you think.
  • Okay, I really don't understand the Phase 2 and 3, but I'll just have to read here and find out what it's all about. My next weigh in is Friday, which is two weeks before the cruise ... do I have enough time to phase off? I'm sorry to have so many questions ... I just want to do this right.
  • Quote: Okay, I really don't understand the Phase 2 and 3, but I'll just have to read here and find out what it's all about. My next weigh in is Friday, which is two weeks before the cruise ... do I have enough time to phase off? I'm sorry to have so many questions ... I just want to do this right.
    You do. I would do Phase 2 from now through Friday. All you have to do is replace the IP protein you have at lunch with a normal protein, like you have at dinner. You will still be in ketosis, and will still be losing weight.

Between Friday and your vacation, go on Phase 3. There's a write-up in the Life After thread, and copies of the Phase 3 & 4 protocols in the Phase sticky, posted by Jordanna on June 21. You'll need to switch from an IP protein for breakfast to the "big breakfast" we all love in Phase 3. That will be the only change from Phase 2. There are lots of discussions in the Life After thread, so go read up, and ask any questions you have of the folks over there.

Before you go on your trip, read up on Phase 4 so you'll know what to expect.

Good luck!
  • Read up on phase 3 and try to get as close to the full 2 weeks done before you leave. This way you will be in phase 4 for your cruise. The protocols were posted by Jordanna and are in one of the stickies now. (See IP Phases postings 9 & 19).
    In my opinion, you shouldn't skimp on the recommended time period for phase 3 or your body may not be as efficient at burning calories in phase 4.
    If possible, bring some of your favorite IP products with you to help you maintain a bit of control if you think the temptation to overeat will be too much.
    When you get back home, jump right back to phase 1 and within a few days you will lose any weight you may have gained over your holiday.
    Following the protocols works. I went through the phases before my vacation, went right back to phase 1 the day after I got home and lost my holiday weight within a couple of days. Plus I am losing weight with a vegence now!
    Work the program, enjoy your cruise and it will all be fine!
  • Thanks everyone for the info and support! I will call my coach tomorrow just to be sure she's on board with me starting phase 2, and start phasing off. Thanks!
  • Just enjoy your cruise.