3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Plateauing!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Motivated IP-er
 
sgorny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 116

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Plateauing!!!

I'm about to rip my hair out. I've been on IP for almost 11 weeks now, and done great (52 pounds lost).

But for the last 8 days? No change. Or even worse, up and down the same 1/2 a pound, then today? UP!!!! I now weigh one pound more than last week.

I haven't cheated AT ALL! I've been drinking my water, exercising... and still, I WON'T LOSE!

I have people (non-IP people) telling me I need to take a break, to reset my metabolism. Or that I need to eat some fat, to restart loss.

But I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!

I *am* at 20% weight loss since I started IP... maybe a plateau is normal now? Maybe my body is resetting, and if I just wait, it will start coming off again? I mean, with the low calories, low carb, and exercise, how can it not?

I just need some reassurance. Anyone else gone through this? Or have advice?
__________________
Tickers: *Started IP 5/18/10* ~ HW 313 1/13/07 ~ *Since Sept 29, 2009*

In lbs: W1=14.7 W2=3.6 W3=2.2 W4=3.4 W5=3.1 W6=3.5 W7=4.8 W8=7.1 W9=6.8 W10=4.6 W11=0 WTH? W12=3.9 W13=6.9 W14=4.7 W15=2.1 W16=4.3 W17=4.1 W18=4.2 W19=0.5 W20=0.6 W21=5.1 W22=0.2 W23=5.2 W24=+1.1 W25=5.3 W26=3.9 I'm at the 6 month point!!!~ Restarting 1/3/11 Wt 173 W1=15.8!?! Restart 3/3/11, 176; & again 4/11/11 Wt 175 & again 4/2/12 191.8

Last edited by sgorny : 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
I *am* at 20% weight loss since I started IP... maybe a plateau is normal now? Maybe my body is resetting, and if I just wait, it will start coming off again? I mean, with the low calories, low carb, and exercise, how can it not?

I just need some reassurance. Anyone else gone through this? Or have advice?
I think Carla is the right person to respond to this... let's see if she takes the bait!

BTW, you HAVE done brilliantly on IP!
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
getting back on track
 
deinekatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 747

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Default

Carla kind of addressed this on her recent post on the weeklythread
Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post


You have lost a large amount of fat quickly. Your body could be adjusting and shrinking. I did. I slowed down. Some ups and downs and many .8 or .9 losses happened but, my skin tightened and my inches were dropping too.

Your body may be objecting or trying to find what is your ideal weight. Believe it or not, we do have a range of weight that we settle into very nicely and our body likes to be there. It is a healthy place.

I say, let up on yourself. Don't stress. Maybe even don't be as restrictive. That added stress isn't any help. If you keep doing the phase 1 program it will come off.

I know this is a challenging week. Don't forget to get plenty of sleep and have extra water. You will need it if you are trying to flush away the fat!

PS: I have read that some people adapt to ketogenic diets around 4 months. Their bodies actually are no longer shocked by the ketosis and they become very efficient and normal at using ketones for energy and regulate there body processes and blood sugar quite like they did before. They can create a large amount of glucose/glycogen from foods entirely without carbohydrates and maintain blood sugars at about 100 which is normal. When that happens they get a reverse whoosh as the body once again puts on the glycogen and glucagon stores it knows it would normally need.

See, gluconeogenesis regulates ketosis. It prevents us from becoming toxic with ketones and keeps the normal homeostasis of our body but does it with little to no carbs. It does it using enzymes and amino acids and, elements obtained from protein and fat. If you are truly healthy your body will do this very effectively. Unfortunately, it makes things go a bit more slowly because you carry the added fluids. ALSO, when this happens, you get back about 400g of glycogen in the muscle tissues. That glycogen can not be dropped by fasting. It can only be accessed by the muscles for energy and that means working out. The other 150 g of glycogen that we are able to store in our liver is accessible when we have no carbs or are fasting for more than 12 hours. It is released and replaced. For each gram of glycogen your body stores 4g of water. So, start adding things up and you can see where a quick gain or loss can happen.
__________________
Elizabeth


Elizabeth's progress photos
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
I'm about to rip my hair out. I've been on IP for almost 11 weeks now, and done great (52 pounds lost).

But for the last 8 days? No change. Or even worse, up and down the same 1/2 a pound, then today? UP!!!! I now weigh one pound more than last week.

I haven't cheated AT ALL! I've been drinking my water, exercising... and still, I WON'T LOSE!

I have people (non-IP people) telling me I need to take a break, to reset my metabolism. Or that I need to eat some fat, to restart loss.

But I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!

I *am* at 20% weight loss since I started IP... maybe a plateau is normal now? Maybe my body is resetting, and if I just wait, it will start coming off again? I mean, with the low calories, low carb, and exercise, how can it not?

I just need some reassurance. Anyone else gone through this? Or have advice?
I think YOU are DOING great.... I think sometimes it takes your body a bit to catch up... have you measured yourself? If you havent cheated then it is still working its just not showing on the scale yet... but it will. You have lost a fantastic amount of weight very quickly and I think we get used to that and then if that stops we are like wth??? When this happened to me I went back to day one.... pretended like I was new all over again.... no restricted anything... measured weighed you name it and then I started losing inches like crazy, like a size a week it seemed. I also started using a tsp more oil and made sure I got in everyday. I am still getting smaller but weigh the same..... dont stress and dont pull out your hair... wigs are far to expensive and you have beautiful hair...
__________________



Last edited by WannabeIP : 08-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Carla kind of addressed this on her recent post on the weeklythread
WOW!! Carla's so good, she answered your question before you even asked it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
You are DOING great.... I think sometimes it takes your body a bit to catch up... have you measured yourself? If you havent cheated then it is still working its just not showing on the scale yet... but it will. You have lost a fantastic amount of weight very quickly and I think we get used to that and then if that stops we are like wth??? When this happened to me I went back to day one.... pretended like I was new all over again.... no restricted anything... measured weighed you name it and then I started losing inches like crazy, like a size a week it seemed. I also started using a tsp more oil and made sure I got in everyday. I am still getting smaller but weight the same..... dont stress and dont pull out your hair... wigs are far to expensive and you have beautiful hair...
Good counsel, Wannabe!
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Member
 
CUSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 71

Height: 5'7"

Default

You are doing great, but I feel your frustration. As pointed out, Carla explains it all I had the same thing happen at week 11. Just keep doing what you are doing and things will be fine. Of course, I'm a "scale hopper" which added to the frustration. Check your measurements to see if you have lost inches. The only other "low" weight loss week I had I lost 2 inches off my waist. To prove it happens and then gets better here is my 17 week data. You CAN do this! You WILL do this. We'll be here to support you!


1 10
2 6.5
3 7
4 3
5 6
6 4
7 4.5
8 4.5
9 4.5
10 3.5
11 2
12 4
13 3.5
14 2.5
15 4
16 3.5
17 4
__________________
]
CUSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSU View Post
You are doing great, but I feel your frustration. As pointed out, Carla explains it all I had the same thing happen at week 11. Just keep doing what you are doing and things will be fine. Of course, I'm a "scale hopper" which added to the frustration. Check your measurements to see if you have lost inches. The only other "low" weight loss week I had I lost 2 inches off my waist. To prove it happens and then gets better here is my 17 week data. You CAN do this! You WILL do this. We'll be here to support you!


1 10
2 6.5
3 7
4 3
5 6
6 4
7 4.5
8 4.5
9 4.5
10 3.5
11 2
12 4
13 3.5
14 2.5
15 4
16 3.5
17 4
Great post I wish I had of tracked better, that is a perfect example....
__________________


WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I think Carla is the right person to respond to this... let's see if she takes the bait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Carla kind of addressed this on her recent post on the weeklythread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
WOW!! Carla's so good, she answered your question before you even asked it!!

Good counsel, Wannabe!


You all crack me up! LOL.. I think I may talk too much!

Sgorny,

I agree with Novak, WannaBe gave you great advice.

First, relieve yourself of the idea your are stalled or plateaued. It causes unnecessary stress. A weight loss stall/plateau is when you lose nothing for 30 days. That will not happen.

I know, we all started this for the weight loss. BUT, and this is a reminder for me too, try to think about this as stages of a weight loss process. Different things are always taking place and some are not by the "measure" we are using. Our body heals, loses weight, changes its chemistry, loses inches, restores the skin to an appropriate place and so much more. Sometimes we have to trust that the work needing to be done is being done and not look only to the scale as validation that we are doing well.

I think this week we will see a few people who are in that 11 to 16 week window mention several things. Some of what can happen in that time frame are: feeling different physically, feeling different emotionally, more headaches, dizziness, hair loss, wanting to sleep more, nausea, stalled weight, up and down weight, hungry a lot more than normal but not craving, or finding a craving for a food you never liked before. AND, the best part happens in that window too. People suddenly find they are losing large amounts of inches, changing clothing sizes quickly, and getting many more compliments than before.

You certainly can talk to your coach and phase out if that is what you want to do. It may be easier for some to do that and come back to phase 1.

You are completely able to stay at phase 1 as long as you need too. IF you stay in phase 1 and are in ketosis, you SHOULD NOT be experiencing the starvation effect that other people worry about on strictly low calorie diets. YOUR body is not starved on this diet. It is getting plenty of fuel from a source that is biologically designed/available to us. We all store fat for future energy. THIS is how that energy is tapped. Unfortunately, we don't live the primitive life that utilized this means as it once did and, our bodies haven't forgotten how to save the fat "just in case". We are FORCING a process to begin to tap into available fuel resources. IF you stay in the fat burning mode, ketosis, your body is NOT on starvation. Your metabolism should not drop significantly as a result. (this is a key reason why it is best not to cheat or cheat too often on this diet. for it to remain healthy you must stay in ketosis.)

It should be noted that our metabolism will adjust and drop according to our size/weight as your lose. I can't recall exactly, I have it somewhere but, for every pound you lose your body adjusts its "caloric need" down by a specific number. Our caloric need is suppose to be able to take care of our normal body functions and any added demands we place on it. As we lose weight it is easier on our body. Even exercise results change as our body drops weight because, in effect, instead of doing everything carrying a 200 pound weight it is carrying a 150 weight. That means we have to, eventually, add in more activity to compensate for that shrinking spread between how much we eat and how much we should eat.

I think you will be fine. Drink the water so you don't become dehydrated which, only adds water weight. Rest, we lose more when we sleep a full 8 hours at night. And, like WannaBe says, go back to day one. You finished the first cycle of phase 1, it is time to start a new one.


If you are not yet exercising, now is the time to slowly start adding back a light to moderate exercise each day. DO NOT elevate your heart rate out of the 50-65% heart rate zone. Light easy walking or swimming will do.

Read the exercise thread and Elizabeth's posts. They give a great reason why we actually can lose more while exercising if we exercise in a more efficient heart rate zone for this program.

This program is great. It can get boring for those of us losing significant amounts of weight or for others who lose more slowly for their own reasons. It will keep working if you keep following it. To do so, you may need to temporarily set aside your early established expectations and set new ones.

Given my personal experience, I PROMISE you, the diet has not stopped working.

__________________
Carla


My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!



You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...

Last edited by showgirlaz : 08-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Nichole
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I know, we all started this for the weight loss. BUT, and this is a reminder for me too, try to think about this as stages of a weight loss process. Different things are always taking place and some are not by the "measure" we are using. Our body heals, loses weight, changes its chemistry, loses inches, restores the skin to an appropriate place and so much more. Sometimes we have to trust that the work needing to be done is being done and not look only to the scale as validation that we are doing well.

I think this week we will see a few people who are in that 11 to 16 week window mention several things. Some of what can happen in that time frame are: feeling different physically, feeling different emotionally, more headaches, dizziness, hair loss, wanting to sleep more, nausea, stalled weight, up and down weight, hungry a lot more than normal but not craving, or finding a craving for a food you never liked before. AND, the best part happens in that window too. People suddenly find they are losing large amounts of inches, changing clothing sizes quickly, and getting many more compliments than before.
Once again (and as always!) you hit the nail on the head with this post, Carla!!

I am in week 13 and you described me almost to a T -- feeling different physically/emotionally, lethargic, HUNGRY but not craving... Unless you count salads - I want salad with oil and vinegar all the freakin time now (who AM I?). It's really quite odd. I started exercising around week 2 or 3 so I'm actually scaling back right now because I simply don't have the energy for it. I know it will return; I just have to let my body finish doing whatever it's doing right now! I'm another one who weighs daily and even the pattern is different this week: -1.5, 0, +1, -2, 0. I usually don't see variances of more than a pound from day to day.
nitenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Member
 
terrid61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 47

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

Default

Thanks, Carla. Your response is helful and reassuring!
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Dave - The Speedo King
 
salesgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post


You all crack me up! LOL.. I think I may talk too much!
I love that this is how you prefaced your response (which was not exactly short). You express yourself very well without being redundant or saying anything irrelevant. Keep it up!
__________________
The skeptics can kiss my steadily shrinking backside!



1 Happy Chef for every 5 lbs. lost:
............................
...............................

Started IP April 7, 2010
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
showgirlaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,095

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
I love that this is how you prefaced your response (which was not exactly short). You express yourself very well without being redundant or saying anything irrelevant. Keep it up!
Thank you!
__________________
Carla


My Progress Photos

Taking this 10 pounds at a time!



You have to choose - eat how you want to look, or look how you want to eat...
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
jlewis88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 115

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

Default

I plateau every week. I know I shouldn't but I step on the scale every morning and for most of the week it doesn't move at all. But every 5-6 days it drops 3-5 lbs and then we repeat the same thing over every week. I don't know why it works that way for me but it does. I would assume the same thing would happen if it took 8 days for me. All I know is that every week at except for 1 I have great loses and have been really happy with it. You have done great so keep with it and listen to all the great advice from the ladies and gentlemen here. Its priceless.
__________________
Current with revised goal of 200




Where I was went I quit last time.

jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis88 View Post
I plateau every week. I know I shouldn't but I step on the scale every morning and for most of the week it doesn't move at all. But every 5-6 days it drops 3-5 lbs and then we repeat the same thing over every week. I don't know why it works that way for me but it does.
That's remarkable. Is there some sort of auto-switch on your body that ratchets down your weight every few days?
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
jlewis88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 115

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
That's remarkable. Is there some sort of auto-switch on your body that ratchets down your weight every few days?
There must be. Its a good thing I can't find the button to make it work otherwise I might have to tape it down
__________________
Current with revised goal of 200




Where I was went I quit last time.

jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plateauing is dangerous for bingers. Wannabeskinny Chicks in Control 15 10-29-2009 09:26 AM
Plateauing afer 4 months-need advice lovemacon Weight Loss Support 18 07-02-2007 02:49 PM
Plateauing at 18 points? beek WW At Home 14 10-24-2004 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2