Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #1  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone else itchy?

I have never been one to be excessively itchy,even when I gained a lot of weight. Maybe a little bit rarely in the lower tummy region, but only if I it was that TOM or I'd eaten hugely.

Now? My stomach, hips, sides of breasts (all the shrinking areas) itch constantly. If I scratch? Worse.

And it is only those parts that are starting to look a bit wrinkly/saggy from the underlying fat loss. Not my legs, arms, neck, back (which have all lost fat, too.)

Am I the only one? I couldn't find much on Google... only that maybe it's:
1) lack of fat in the diet, or
2) dehydration

I know I haven't been drinking water like I did at first, but I swear this started before then.

Last edited by sgorny; 07-10-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: posted too soon
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #2  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

I'm not on the same diet plan as you (hope it's ok to post here anyway) but I have the same problem some days. I will scratch so much I end up with red marks all over my body!
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

This may not be what you want to hear. It may not even be the answer.

Something to consider is this, when our body "shrinks" quickly it is possible to get a type of stretch mark - shrink or stress marks. Trying using a very "rich" lotion or cream, something like a coconut oil, to massage those areas of skin. If it is related to the skin changes it should help reduce the problem.

Google stretch marks losing weight if you want more info.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n6006188/
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #4  

Default itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
I have never been one to be excessively itchy,even when I gained a lot of weight. Maybe a little bit rarely in the lower tummy region, but only if I it was that TOM or I'd eaten hugely.

Now? My stomach, hips, sides of breasts (all the shrinking areas) itch constantly. If I scratch? Worse.

And it is only those parts that are starting to look a bit wrinkly/saggy from the underlying fat loss. Not my legs, arms, neck, back (which have all lost fat, too.)

Am I the only one? I couldn't find much on Google... only that maybe it's:
1) lack of fat in the diet, or
2) dehydration

I know I haven't been drinking water like I did at first, but I swear this started before then.
If you are in the beginning stages of a weight loss program it may be a detox issue as the toxins are leaving your body (the skin is the largest organ of the body and toxins will be released through the skin as well as other organs). Try not to load on a great deal of lotions (with the exception of where you might place it as a facial moisturizer or in respect of what showgirlaz was talking about if you use a stretch mark cream). The reason being if you put a bunch of lotions on the body that block the pores it will be difficult for the release of toxins through the skin.

If it's not detox you are correct that it might be dehydration. Test for this by pulling up the skin on your hand and see if it creates a little tent and doesn't retract quickly. If it doesn't then that is a sign of dehydration. Make sure you are consuming all the water you need on your diet plan (64-80oz a day). Not only will this help with the itching, but will continue to support your weight loss by flushing toxins out of the body. Not to mention you need to flush the ketones through the kidneys.

It is possible that too little fat may be the problem so make sure you are taking your Omega 3's and if not make sure you purchase some from your coach/clinic. (assuming you are on the IP diet)

Another suggestion would be is to try all the products that don't have sucralose (splenda) people who don't start with a sensitivity may eventually develop one. Ask your coach to use the products that don't have sucralose for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Also, if there is a weather change in your area you might need to have a humidifier in your house to regain some moisture in your body and reduce your itching.

If none of these things work you may explore other things such as eczema, allergy, change of new detergent etc.

Good luck and hopefully the itching will end soon
dietertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Dieter too,

Thanks! That was a great perspective and helpful!

Sgorny,

How much Omega are you getting? I had to use much more than recommended. I use about 1 tbsp of omega 3/6/9 (udo's oil) and I use the olive oil too. My body did a severe slow down and following the added oil picked back up a little. I had dropped to a .8 pound per week loss then back up to about 1.5 - 2 pound a week. See how your body tolerates adding an extra tsp or so a day of oil.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #6  

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Dieter too,

Thanks! That was a great perspective and helpful!

Sgorny,

How much Omega are you getting? I had to use much more than recommended. I use about 1 tbsp of omega 3/6/9 (udo's oil) and I use the olive oil too. My body did a severe slow down and following the added oil picked back up a little. I had dropped to a .8 pound per week loss then back up to about 1.5 - 2 pound a week. See how your body tolerates adding an extra tsp or so a day of oil.
Thank you showgirlaz,
I am glad it helped.
I wish you much luck and success in your weight loss and I am glad your program is working for you.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #7  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for all the advice!

Dieter Too - I tried the "tent test" - it goes back at a moderate speed, so I'm going to try to up my water intake - I know I've been consuming it mostly in the evening, so I'm probably a bit dehydrated during the day.

Carla - i take the Omega 3 supplements recommended by my counselor, which is 1400 mg/day. I also have 1-1/2 to 2 tsp of olive oil a day, used to cook my meat & saute mushrooms.

I have noticed that my skin on non-itchy places (arms, esp) is dry and has a "grain" to it... but that could just be related to being middle-aged. My face is a little drier, but I use a heavy cream with glycolic acid on it, and it's doing OK.

I've never had a problem with dry skin before, and I've lived here for 12 years, and in a semi-arid desert before that for almost 30 years... and no skin dryness. In fact, I had the oiliest skin in high school, and through my late 20's. I always thought that (and the plumping effect of fat) was what helped me look a bit younger...

I definitely have stretch marks on all the itchy areas. So lotion could help the skin go back more? Although I know I'll always be wearing a bigger suit of skin, unless I decided to get it taken in. I thought that just worked if it was stretching out. I'll have to start trying some lotion on those areas.

I've been on IP for 8+ weeks now, so I think I might be through the toxin removal... but I had a highly unhealthy diet before, so ???

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll try it out!
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #8  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

sgorny- I am not sure if this will help but when I was preggers I used a product called Bio oil it was like a dry oil that absorbs really quickly as I found the stretchmark creams really thick and slippery and not so nice in the summer. I have to say my boy was 10 days early 8 pounds and I never got one stretch mark from pregnancy, I used it faithfully eveyday and still use it on my other stretch marks...
WannabeIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #9  

Default itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Dieter Too - I tried the "tent test" - it goes back at a moderate speed, so I'm going to try to up my water intake - I know I've been consuming it mostly in the evening, so I'm probably a bit dehydrated during the day.

Carla - i take the Omega 3 supplements recommended by my counselor, which is 1400 mg/day. I also have 1-1/2 to 2 tsp of olive oil a day, used to cook my meat & saute mushrooms.

I have noticed that my skin on non-itchy places (arms, esp) is dry and has a "grain" to it... but that could just be related to being middle-aged. My face is a little drier, but I use a heavy cream with glycolic acid on it, and it's doing OK.

I've never had a problem with dry skin before, and I've lived here for 12 years, and in a semi-arid desert before that for almost 30 years... and no skin dryness. In fact, I had the oiliest skin in high school, and through my late 20's. I always thought that (and the plumping effect of fat) was what helped me look a bit younger...

I definitely have stretch marks on all the itchy areas. So lotion could help the skin go back more? Although I know I'll always be wearing a bigger suit of skin, unless I decided to get it taken in. I thought that just worked if it was stretching out. I'll have to start trying some lotion on those areas.

I've been on IP for 8+ weeks now, so I think I might be through the toxin removal... but I had a highly unhealthy diet before, so ???

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll try it out!
Hope you will find an answer to the itchies soon, it must be a drag.
Keep up the good work on your diet.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #10  

I know that I had really dry and itchy skin all over for the first few weeks that I was on IP, even though I was drinking a ton of water. I decided to switch from my tried and true Ivory soap to Aveeno Body Wash for Dry Skin. This has made a world of difference! I use this with a loofah each day to remove the dry/dead skin all over and moisturize. My skin has never been softer or more healthy!
Sweetstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
I know that I had really dry and itchy skin all over for the first few weeks that I was on IP, even though I was drinking a ton of water. I decided to switch from my tried and true Ivory soap to Aveeno Body Wash for Dry Skin. This has made a world of difference! I use this with a loofah each day to remove the dry/dead skin all over and moisturize. My skin has never been softer or more healthy!
been using Aveeno boy wash OR oil of olay body wash for a few years now and yeab no problems with dry skin. for isolated dry areas i use a little bit of aveeno hydrochortisone cream and it works wonders.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #12  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

This happens to me. Even the back of my ankles...bottom of my feet...arms..back..everywhere. My stomach & breasts are the only parts that dont itch. It feels "itchy dehydrated"...even when I know Im drinking enough water. Im not getting any stretch marks.

What Ive done to help lessen it is 2 things.......I bought one of those back brushes & broke the handle off it. After I wash in the shower...I will body scrub myself with it with no soap. Like someone else said...toxins are released through our skin & that was my first thought on what it could be. It helps so I think thats what it is.

Second thing I do every 2 weeks is I boil a cabbage. Cool down the water ((I use about 5 or 6 cups of water))...I pour the water of the boiled cabbage into the tub of cooler water..not warm or hot & I soak in it for 15 minutes. Cabbage water helps rehydrate the skin & gives extra nutrients. Shower after with cooler water ((not hot...it dehydrates the skin faster))...so you dont smell like a cabbage.

Doing both has lessened the itching by about 70%. I live in a very humid climate with the air conditioning on inside 10 months out of the year & Im constantly applying Lubriderm to my skin....my skin just sucks it right up immediately since I started my diet..I was never itchy before...but since I started the cabbage water it doesnt suck the lotion up as quickly as it used to & its given me some relief.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #13  
Sandra

S/C/G: 210/168/145

Height: 5'7"

Sarna ( S A R N A) Cream works wonders on itching skin. I get it at my local drug store. Sometimes severe itching can signal liver problems, gluten intolerance or diabetes, so if you don't find relief- you may want to check with a doctor as well.

Last edited by CheeseCake4me; 07-12-2010 at 04:44 PM.
CheeseCake4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #14  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's on the same subject.

I remember itching when I was gaining, so I'm not surprised when it comes back as I'm going down. As silly as it sounds, it's a "different" itch than comes with flaky skin or a dermatitis reaction. Beats me.

I force myself to moisturize heavily daily. I don't feel itchy until right before a whoosh. When I start itching, I'm guaranteed at least a 3 lb drop on the scales within the next 48 hours...so I get a bit excited when everyone else has to be wondering if I have fleas or something else contagious.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #15  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

Oh my! My neck, chest and jaw itch like nobodies business!!! Ugh! I have had this for 2-3 months now, I just thought it was the dry weather. Never thought it could be the skin going back! Ugh, I'm so sick of Vaseline-ing my neck and chest....pray it goes away!
wyoangel is offline   Reply With Quote