Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 204/204/160

Height: 5'3"

No, I am not a nutrition/biology/exercise science major. I am a woman who was 50 lbs overweight and heard about Ideal Protein from a co-worker. At the time there was only one clinic in my small town offering the protocol. I lost the weight through that clinic, never ever once meeting the dr!! A personal friend who is also a dr. watched me slim down and became interested in adding the protocol to his practice when it was mentioned at a seminar he was at and it clicked that this was the diet he had watched me have great success with and become very passionate. When he decided to add it to his practice he asked me to be his coach largely based upon the fact that I had "walked the walk" as well as my enthusiasm in wanting to help others change their lives. You will find that many clinics have coaches that have never had a weight problem and more than likely have never done the protocol! I am not saying one bit that they are not great coaches, but personally I know that my dieters really love the fact that I have been in their shoes!
We do receive a full training to become a certified coach from our regional representative. The dr I work for reviews each and every health profile, meets every dieter and is there for me 24/7 should there be anything that comes up that I am not qualified to respond to. We also have the IP corporate staff available to us as well.
There are MANY diets out there, including ones where you are under the guidance of a professional nutritionist, personal trainer etc. If IP is not the one you feel comfortable with, then please choose another one! For myself and many, many others IP has changed our lives!!
Best of luck to you Kara on your journey!
miasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.
It's surprising to me that people avoid losing weight because of health risks when being overweight has (IMO) significantly higher health risks. This plan transitions you to regular food as quickly as you get to your goal. I ate fish regularly on this plan. If people have significant weight/health issues then like all lifestyle changes (weight loss, increased exercise) they should discuss it with their doctor as they go. Good luck with whatever plan works for you, this worked for me and for lots on this site.

What I wish is that everyone knew how much benefit this has on the metabolism. I am on maintenance and after 15 days on holiday (eating everything I wanted) I still fit into my new smaller clothes (I haven't weighed myself yet since I haven't been home yet).
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #123  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
The more I read about IP the more I think it's DANGEROUS. How can people who have absolutely no training in nutrition and weight loss be invited to become coaches? @miasmama, I mean no disrespect to you, but how are you even remotely qualified to help people lose weight healthily if you have no training in nutrition, exercise, biology, etc.

Based on everything I've read on this forum I do believe that the IP program should be illegal. The information they give out on nutrition, body composition, and health is criminally negligent.

Just as an example .. hair loss and nail issues during this kind of weight loss are due to the fact that you're not consuming enough healthy fats. ON a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) you MUST consume some kind of Omega supplement (fish oil is best) in order to offset the negative effects of the lack of fats.
Seems to me you're in a snit because you can't read; or chose to misinterpret what you do read. Pity.

Last edited by Linden; 01-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 337/164/160

Height: 5' 6.5" ('cuz the .5 counts!)

And now back to our regularly scheduled program......

I wish my coach (who is a doctor and lost 100+ pounds herself) had warned me about the weird food dreams. I am grateful to the people on the board who have talked about them. Last night I had a dream that I was eating dinner at Buckingham Palace. They weren't serving pizza that night, but I woke up thinking that that would have been funny.
ptod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Kara I have to respond to your claim that IP is dangerous...I am an RN in a busy ER and daily we see the severe health problems of obesity..I will take my chances on hair loss or thinning nails over the cardiac issues, mobility problems, and depression with our morbidly obese patients.
dinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #126  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Kara I have to respond to your claim that IP is dangerous...I am an RN in a busy ER and daily we see the severe health problems of obesity..I will take my chances on hair loss or thinning nails over the cardiac issues, mobility problems, and depression with our morbidly obese patients.
"LIKE button!!!!!!!!"
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 142.2/122.6/120(115)

Height: 5.2

Ladies I too agree with all your replies to Kara. I am a RN who has struggled with my weight since I was 6 years old. I have tried just about every diet out there at one time or another. While I do not have the extreme challenges some of you face I still have to make conscious decisions every day about my health and diet. I have been blessed as of now, I have not had ANY side effects from IP 7weeks and continuing. What I need to understand is the question of exercise! Can someone please give me your recommendations/experiences while in the various phases of IP and exercising. My coach stated that it will slow my progress. I am also going on a cruise the end of the month and am trying to make sure that I DO NOT unlearn my positive behaviors.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Debbie
Debbie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #128  
strated IP Sept.26 2011

S/C/G: 266/173.8/180

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie64 View Post
Ladies I too agree with all your replies to Kara. I am a RN who has struggled with my weight since I was 6 years old. I have tried just about every diet out there at one time or another. While I do not have the extreme challenges some of you face I still have to make conscious decisions every day about my health and diet. I have been blessed as of now, I have not had ANY side effects from IP 7weeks and continuing. What I need to understand is the question of exercise! Can someone please give me your recommendations/experiences while in the various phases of IP and exercising. My coach stated that it will slow my progress. I am also going on a cruise the end of the month and am trying to make sure that I DO NOT unlearn my positive behaviors.
Debbie
I was told by my coach not to exercise for the first couple of months but now I'm doing some walking on the treadmill and exercise bike and some weight training 3 times a week. On the days I do exercise I was told to add an extra packet. I'm still averaging 3-4 lbs a week.
frazzledmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 198/172/150

Height: 5'8"

I have been on this diet since the middle of October and I have gotten a really bad cold twice. They have stayed with me for over a week each time. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Teach2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach2lose View Post
I have been on this diet since the middle of October and I have gotten a really bad cold twice. They have stayed with me for over a week each time. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
My resistance level was higher on the diet (probably due to the supplements) - I never got sick, I expect this has to do with regular cold season as opposed to the diet. Both my kids have had a couple of colds through this season.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 198/172/150

Height: 5'8"

Well, that is probably true and I am a teacher so I am exposed to it all. I had the flu shot in November . I was thinking I should up the vitamin c intake.

Last edited by Teach2lose; 01-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Teach2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 209/209/170

Quote:
Debbie
I start the program next week, but this was also one of my concerns. I am part of a dance group that is getting ready for our performance and cutting out all exercise is not an option. My coach told me to take an extra package on days that I dance. That being said I am not going to do my daily gym workout for the first few weeks, just keep to light walking and am going to avoid the weights while I am on the program.
Danni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #133  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni1 View Post
I start the program next week, but this was also one of my concerns. I am part of a dance group that is getting ready for our performance and cutting out all exercise is not an option. My coach told me to take an extra package on days that I dance. That being said I am not going to do my daily gym workout for the first few weeks, just keep to light walking and am going to avoid the weights while I am on the program.
That will be ideal! Your energy level will be low for the first 2-3 weeks. Just take things slow.... I do Roller Derby... and I have done it while on this program! you will be fine!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Debbie
Did you download Dr. Chanh's's book from the sticky at the top of the daily thread? That really explains why he developed the plan the way he did and a lot of it is about the exercise issues.

You have done extremely well on the program!

Pat

Last edited by patns; 01-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 142.2/122.6/120(115)

Height: 5.2

Pat, thank you so much. I too am very very proud of my results and over the holidays too! I swear I tell everyone who asks what I did or am doing about IP! However I need to figure out how to tell them this is not a "diet" for the faint of heart. I think it takes true committment and planning, planning, planning! The money is some what an issue but $4.5/meal is cheaper then a Big mac, fries and a soda at BK.
Have to figure out how to keep up the losing while on a 7 day cruise the last week in Jan. I know it will be a challenge as I cant fix my own food but will do the best I can and have a suitcase full of products.
Deb
Debbie64 is offline   Reply With Quote