3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

What do you wish your coach had told you???

Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #91
Started IP 1/07/11

S/C/G: 235/142/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2benow View Post
OH MY! I don't actually think I even HAVE a coach!! But the restricted items are the ONLY things that are keeping me alive right now. I probably should give them up and YOU ARE MAKING ME THINK REALLY, REALLY HARD about WHAT I AM DOING TO MYSELF....but WOW, that hurts.
Hi Got2benow,

if you are successful in your weight loss with the restricted items, you don't have to worry about eliminating them. some people are sensitive to the higher carb count so it hinders their weight loss, but that is not true for all people. some people lose more weight with restricteds in their diet. i have to eat restricteds because if i don't, i lose all of my hunger and forget to eat anything. i've done well with restricted products in my diet, as i have never had a WI less than 3.5lbs (yet). hope that helps ease your mind a bit!

i will never again be as heavy as i am right now!

Progress Pictures - updated 6/28/11

Final Stretch!!
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #92

I have a restricted every day as well and it doesn't seem to be stalling me either. I've lost 22 pounds and this is my fifth week.

My coach told me that I could have any salad dressing I like as long as it's 4 grams of sugar and under! No mention of Walden Farm products at all.

She's been in the IP business for five years and doesn't know half of what I know now because of this forum.

Thanks everyone!
Hanna00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #93
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

To clarify about restricted items?? What are we talking here...

A restricted Vegetable a day Or like a protien bar per day? Nevermind I found it on the protical sheet

Last edited by MInewgoal : 04-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #94

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy mom 72 View Post
Regarding excercise, I was told not to do it. They say it can throw you out of ketosis. I sure am missing my spin class!
I was told by my coach and the Dr. who supervises her that it's ok to continue with any exercise you've been doing before starting IP. The only stipulation is it has to be something you've been doing long term so your body is used to it.

There are a few reason coaches and Doctors don't want you beginning any strenuous exercises during the diet. When you do any weight training it breaks down your muscle tissue. That's the principle behind weight lifting...break it down so it repairs itself and becomes larger and stronger. When you do any strenuous cardio exercises it has the same affect, just not so drastic, plus you will retain water in your muscles which can translate into a weight gain and/or larger measurements at your weekly WI.

My coach and Doctor both agree it's alright to do some light exercises, i.e. walking at a relaxed pace, even if you weren't doing it before IP. I've seen another threads on here which discussed training for 5K runs. The info going around was most coaches recommend extra packets before and after training. I will try to find the thread and bump it for you.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #95
Awesome Member

S/C/G: 233/214/???

Height: 5 foot 4.75 inches

I wish my coach were a little more informed as everyone else has mentioned. She's sweet, just not prepared to answer in-depth questions about the diet.

I wish she had mentioned:

-the effect on birth control/cycles
-how to take the bag of pills she just handed me, especially those not on the sheet. (Enzymes? Anti what?)
-why I feel nauseous all the time and what to adjust to feel better.

There is a lot more... I'd be lost without this board.
snowclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #96

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

On my third week of IP and i'm so glad i found this thread

Since IP, my digestion's pretty off and i'm constantly constipated. I was a big veggie eater before IP and was a pretty regular, like on a timed schedule. Hoping my probiotics will help out. Wished my coach had warned me.
stellartadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #97
manton4

S/C/G: 225/221/150

Height: 64.5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
WOW!
- you aren't allowed the occasional veggies til 70% lost (just my coach's rule)
- you aren't allowed the restricted foods until you reach goal (just my coach's rule)
- your birth control may be interfered with
- you may lose your hair, A LOT of your hair
- you will become constipated
- your skin could become dry, cracked, and bleeding
- you will get bored with the food, the veggies, the routine... stick with it
- it will be hard to treat a cold if you get one because of sugar in medicine
- some of your prescriptions will effect your average weight loss
- you will not lose 3 - 5 pounds every week it may or may not even be your average if you are on the program more than 3 months.
- your menstrual cycle will go through changes and may not be what you expect
- you will feel horrible at times as your body adjusts and corrects, but you will get through if you stick it out
- you may reach a point you gag on the salads you have to eat
- you will crave things you have never liked and come to hate things you use to love
- you will have strange dreams of eating off plan foods
- eating out will become boring because it will feel like you can only eat the same things, ANYWHERE
- you will want to walk up to strangers and tell them all about how Ideal Protein can change their life... think twice before you act on that impulse.
- you will have times that you will lose many more inches than pounds and that is OK! Weight loss is not just about the number on the scale but how your body shape is changing and how your clothes fit.
- You will want to give up. DON'T! Write down your reason and inspiration for doing this today and read it everyday until you get to your goal.

That is just a few that came to my mind! I guess there was a lot I wish I was told!
SO TRUE! I had to smile as I was reading down your list. I am in week one and sometimes wake up thinking "am I sure this is the right one for me"?
manton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #98

S/C/G: 164/147.5/138

I'd add that you might want to tell us upfront not to chew gum - it never occurred to me, and when that ketosis breath starts kicking in, it's the first place most people will turn! I had no idea I shouldn't be chewing it until this thread.
aroundtheriverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #99

S/C/G: 190/185.4/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
I'd add that you might want to tell us upfront not to chew gum - it never occurred to me, and when that ketosis breath starts kicking in, it's the first place most people will turn! I had no idea I shouldn't be chewing it until this thread.
I don't think I've heard that before. I've been chewing gum a lot. My coach said personally for her (she lost 50+lbs on it) she just chewed any sugar-free gum so that's what I've been doing. My clinic though also sells an IP approved gum that I might look into if my losses ever stall.

I must have missed it on this thread (it's late and I was just skimming, but I didn't see it). Do you have a link or something? I really don't want to do something that will mess me up, and the gum keeps me from popping things in my mouth without thinking about it.Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #100
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 198/180/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
I found only 1 kind of gum that we are allowed to have as they all have aspartame in them except for this one. Dentyne (sp?) Fire, it's the cinnamon one, it is sweetened with sucralose. I hated the cinnamon gum before this program but now I don't mind it at all. I'd rather chew it than scare people with my breath. (my hubby kept telling me how horrible my breath was)

I was in the store for at least an hour looking at every single pack of gum, people must have thought I was a freak.

Last edited by YvetteSki : 09-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #101

Save, great information, thank you
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #102
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteSki View Post
I found only 1 kind of gum that we are allowed to have as they all have aspartame in them except for this one.
Look for Spry gum. Definitely available online; or ask your dentist.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #103
Melting Mama

S/C/G: 336/274.5/175

Height: 5'6"

I wish they would make a book of phase 1 allowable recipes and hand them out with your start up packages.

I wish someone would have warned me that my mouth/throat would constantly be dry too.

Last edited by JodiM : 09-12-2011 at 11:35 AM.
JodiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #104

S/C/G: 240/200/170

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshell5488 View Post
So much differing information about do's and don'ts - my coach is so different - first off I have to have 5 packets per day with 1 restricted a must (since the day I started). In fact, if I don't have 5 I get yelled at because my muscle mass has decreased and have now been told that a person of my size may actually need 6 packets a day - and she's threatened to drop me from the program if I continue to lose muscle mass and not eat the required amount of packets. I've been told to eat extra veggies and proteins and eat an egg if I have to to insure I get enough protein in. And yes, my hairs been falling out - getting quite a thin spot on top of my head! I get so confused over what to do or not to do - everone's coach is so different - isn't there supposed to be one standard protocol? I can hardly afford the 5 packets a day, and now to add a 6th - why so much differeing information out there? I'm soooo confused! Wish there was some agreement to what was standard protocol for all coaches to tell us.
This actually is kindda scary..I don't know your medical condition but we do have standards...and the hair loss is just a temporary thing..I went thru it too and my hair is healthier and fuller now..Usually you only do 3 packages a day..and the first week you can do 4 if you have to but usually just 3..Also restricted items...I tell my patients not to exceed 3 a week and they start them about the 3rd week..on days when they want to get some exercise use the bars to help with a little more energy.

I encourage people to look at the Ideal Protein Website...get info there and learn a few things...Remember this is your journey...you are paying your coaches..if you feel you need more attention..tell them..you want more help and need more education..get them to take the time...its about you...

I wish you all great success...

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #105

S/C/G: 240/200/170

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MInewgoal View Post
To clarify about restricted items?? What are we talking here...

A restricted Vegetable a day Or like a protien bar per day? Nevermind I found it on the protical sheet
Some of the items from Ideal Protein are restricted because of the carbs in them..
like bars-oatmeal-puffs-cheese puffs...
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.