3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

What do you wish your coach had told you???

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #211
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

Question What questions do you wish you had asked your coach before you started IP?

My doctor (who is not affiliated with the program) recommended IP. I have researched like crazy, read all of your stickies, attended my local IP coach's introduction seminar, and I am now ready to commit to the program.

I appreciate all the info on this site on alternatives and I like the variety and cost savings, but I need the one on one support of a coach. But... I am a little leery after reading some of the negative experiences on this board. Before I commit (ie, hand over my money) I think I would like to have a second meeting with my local coach and discuss their style of coaching, nutritional expertise, and stance on alternative products. Additionally, I think I am going to ask them how they coach through slow/low losses and gains.

What other questions would you ask? You all seem to have a wealth of experiences, so I am looking to harness some of that to avoid any bad experiences (uninformed, unengaged, or unmotivated coaches) and to maximize my chance of finding the right coach.

Thank you!
~L
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #212

S/C/G: 153.8/142/120

Height: 5'0"

My coach is a dietician,and she has been good. However, I don't ask many questions, because I've learned so much on here. I like the accountability, and because I'm seen in a doctor's office, the in-house doctor keeps track of my labwork.
By the way, I think someone else started a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and got a lot of responses. If you have time, you may need to go back several pages, but you should find some good answers in there.

Restart: 12/28/2013 - 142
Sansfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #213
Started IP 6/21/2013

Thank you so much Sansfilter! I read all the stickies and searched for keywords, but I didn't think to just check the last few pages of posts!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #214
Started IP 6/21/2013

Here is the link for the thread with the other "things I wished I had known/asked" thread. Thanks for directing me to it!.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #215

S/C/G: 137/119/120

I read all about IP on this forum, so when I joined IP, I didn't have many questions. My coach is not associated with any doctors' offices and usually she schedules half an hour per person.
Iolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #216

S/C/G: 156/133/115

Height: 5'4

Default Couple questions and any advice is helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansfilter View Post
My coach is a dietician,and she has been good. However, I don't ask many questions, because I've learned so much on here. I like the accountability, and because I'm seen in a doctor's office, the in-house doctor keeps track of my labwork.
By the way, I think someone else started a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and got a lot of responses. If you have time, you may need to go back several pages, but you should find some good answers in there.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Hello, I am new to the site and have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them. When I started IP I was a couple of pounds more than your starting weight and my goal is 115. I was wondering if you can tell me how long it took you to lose the weight, what you experience was like and any advice on how to be successful at IP. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.
France35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #217

S/C/G: 154/107.3/105

Height: 5'0"

Took me about 3 months to go from 154 to 115. Everybody's different though
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #218
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/136

Height: 5ft 6 in

This is an AWESOME thread! I'm on my 4th week, and learning a lot here.

I have to say my coach (who is a veteran IPer) has done a really good job. And when I have questions, she always gets back to me quickly.

What I wish she'd told me at the beginning:

* That the Walden Farm's products are allowed, BUT should be used in moderation/not every day. Same for Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (actually she did warn me about this, but I forgot!)

* That we can use PAM/olive oil cooking spray.

* That if you're having trouble getting in all your veggies, you can liquefy 1-2 cups spinach & water in the blender & then add your drink packet (I have used Chocolate, Peach Mango and Piña Colada). It may be an interesting color, but it won't taste like spinach. I am not a vegetable person to begin with, and this has really helped me.

* That this forum exists! It's a great resource and source of encouragement & support!
bluegirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #219

S/C/G: 175/176.5/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirl9 View Post
This is an AWESOME thread! I'm on my 4th week, and learning a lot here.

I have to say my coach (who is a veteran IPer) has done a really good job. And when I have questions, she always gets back to me quickly.

What I wish she'd told me at the beginning:

* That the Walden Farm's products are allowed, BUT should be used in moderation/not every day. Same for Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (actually she did warn me about this, but I forgot!)

* That we can use PAM/olive oil cooking spray.

* That if you're having trouble getting in all your veggies, you can liquefy 1-2 cups spinach & water in the blender & then add your drink packet (I have used Chocolate, Peach Mango and Piña Colada). It may be an interesting color, but it won't taste like spinach. I am not a vegetable person to begin with, and this has really helped me.

* That this forum exists! It's a great resource and source of encouragement & support!
You can use Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing? I have NEVER heard this anywhere...I just looked it up and yes there are no carbs but there is a lot of calories and fat...What did she say about having it and has anyone else heard of this?????

barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #220
Started IP 5/25/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
You can use Briana's French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing? I have NEVER heard this anywhere...I just looked it up and yes there are no carbs but there is a lot of calories and fat...What did she say about having it and has anyone else heard of this?????
Barri -- I'm not entirely sure if this is Standard IP, or just my clinic. (It is confusing to me from what I've read on here that some IP clinics/coaches can have slightly different guidelines -- however, I have to say so far my clinic seems pretty good about adhering to current IP protocol.)

This is what my "Getting Started Tips" sheet says: "You can use Briana's brand French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing. This is the only one from Briana's and use it in moderation."

I usually make my own salad dressing out of olive oil, apple cider vinegar & lemon juice, but when I go to a friend's house for dinner I take a bottle of Briana's FV with me.

Margaret

Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #221

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Probably just 'house rules' but curious at to whether your clinic told you to count a serving of the salad dressing (2 TBSP) as your 2 tsp oil. If you do it should be okay because it is equivalent in fat grams and does not contain any 'forbidden' ingredients (well except that canola oil is not your best choice). But I would not use it as an 'extra' due to the fat content. There is no MAGIC in WF products, so there is no reason to assume that dressings by other manufacturers cannot be IP appropriate - but it takes careful review of the ingredients and if it contains fat, you need to count it IMHO!!!!
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #222
Started IP 5/25/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleNP View Post
Probably just 'house rules' but curious at to whether your clinic told you to count a serving of the salad dressing (2 TBSP) as your 2 tsp oil. If you do it should be okay because it is equivalent in fat grams and does not contain any 'forbidden' ingredients (well except that canola oil is not your best choice). But I would not use it as an 'extra' due to the fat content. There is no MAGIC in WF products, so there is no reason to assume that dressings by other manufacturers cannot be IP appropriate - but it takes careful review of the ingredients and if it contains fat, you need to count it IMHO!!!!
Good points. You know, I just assumed it would be *instead* of my daily 2 tsp olive oil -- but I'll ask my coach, because she didn't really say.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #223

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirl9 View Post
This is brilliant! I can't believe I didn't think of this myself - I like spinach smoothies. Thank you!
stacerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #224
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

go to the first page of Daily Chat and find the link to the Fun with Veggie Puree thread

MANY ideas for pureed veggies there!

Last edited by lisa32989 : 06-19-2013 at 09:23 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #225

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
go to the first page of Daily Chat and find the link to the Fun with Veggie Puree thread

MANY ideas for pureed veggies there!
Thank you! Those are awesome ideas
stacerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.