Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #31  

Default Thyroid conditions on Healthy Skeptic

The Healthy Skeptic blog started a series of posts on thyroid conditions and treatment in June 2010. The author is an acupuncturist and is completing studies and certification in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Here's the main page on thyroid with links to all articles in the series. If the link gets removed, try thehealthyskeptic [dot] org [slash /] thyroid

In addition to the blog, he has a facebook page and a twitter feed.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 10-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #32  

Question IP continued nausea

Hi. So excited to find this site. I just started IP however I have been on thyriod for years. Did anyone have extreme nausea on this diet (I tried the salt water thing it did not work). Also have brain fog and may be allergic to soy. Is this just the detox? I know this is not a medical website, but I am over 50 and have lost weight before (unfortunately many times) and have never felt this bad!

Ever presistent!
ahoy4there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Some references on Thyroid:

The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem MD. (associate professor of medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and chief of endocrinology and metabolism at Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, Texas)
Ballantine Books (August 8, 2000) | ISBN-10: 0345429206 | ISBN-13: 978-0345429209
I read this several years ago and found it very informative about the role of the thyroid in one's well-being. Although it was published 10 years ago, it will probably give you a good understanding of how the thyroid works, what to watch for, what questions to ask, and what you can do. The author has published other books and work books since 2000. You may want to investigate those.

Another one that is getting some attention is written by a chiropractor who has a DHSc (not the same as an MD or a PhD in anything) is Why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab tests are normal? Author has a website thyroidbook [dot] com. He also provides referrals to practitioners across the US who have trained on his program.
Hey - Dr. Arem is my doctor. I read his book and went to see him. He has me on T3 and Levoxyl. Helped me with my bioidentical estrogen and progesterone. I have a local ob/gyne handling that now. He also got me started taking Metformin for my borderline sugar levels. He wanted me to do a sleep study for my exhaustion. I had a rotator cuff problem causing severe pain so I wasn't able to do it. Now that I had surgery that shoulder feels great (other one bothering me a little) so I'm going to do that soon. I have Hashimotos which is a disease of the thyroid, pretty common, and I have a small lump on it which another endocrinologist wasn't able to detect. Well, I lost 30m lbs on IP but I have slipped up on maintenance and have gained around 10 pounds back. The lump on my thyroid has actually shrunk. Each time something was detected and I got on the right meds I thought the weight would just fall off me. NOT! But I will say, it must help. Though I have learned through IP just how much protein I need and how few calories and carbs (: . I've had a lot of extra stress lately and had a MAJOR evil binge last night. I have to get back on the wagon, do phase 1 and get myself straightened out but I need your help IPers! I know it works if I can get myself to do it. My elderly parents are deteriorating mentally and it makes me so sad, and it is demanding so much of my time and energy. Didn't mean to go into all this. Guess I needed to vent.

Last edited by deelee10; 09-22-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoy4there View Post
Hi. So excited to find this site. I just started IP however I have been on thyriod for years. Did anyone have extreme nausea on this diet (I tried the salt water thing it did not work). Also have brain fog and may be allergic to soy. Is this just the detox? I know this is not a medical website, but I am over 50 and have lost weight before (unfortunately many times) and have never felt this bad!

Ever presistent!
I felt nausea after taking the supplements if I didn't have enough in my stomach and that could vary day to day. a vanilla rtd was not enough. I ended up taking all the supplements later in the day. Now, I've gone back to taking the supplements that Dr. Arem recommends (and sells!) My fibromyalgia feels better on his. I can't take those on an empty stomach though either.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #35  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Your parents are lucky to have you taking care of them. It is extremely stressful and difficult to see the painful effects of age. I am also going through this with my mom.
You have the strength to get going again. Losing 30 pounds took a lot of strength. You can do it!
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionm View Post
I have tried to limit the soy for many years because of potential problems, but I'm kind of in the mode that some isn't bad, but I'm not going to eating tofu and edamame at every meal. The soy that is in IP and the Sucralose are both compromises for me because I am pretty strongly against artificial sweeteners; however, I am more against being fat and shortening my lifespan, so I can compromise for the 7-9 months it will take me to lose weight.
I've been on Synthroid for 6 years and Cimetedine for 2 years, and in the year that I've been consuming IP foods, my labs have been perfect, but if you're really concerned or have an allergy, all of the IP drinks and the strawberry and blueberry puddings don't contain any soy at all, so you could theoretically do the program soy-free.

Also, IP uses a soy protein isolate (protein extracted from only the green part of the soya plant), so most of the isoflavones, which are the controversial components that can cause problems, have been filtered out. You'd get the same amount of isoflavones in IP products (22mg) from a half cup of black-eyed peas (23mg), and twice as many isoflavones as IP products from a half cup of black beans (45 mg). So once you're in Phase 4, if you have thyroid issues or a family history of cancer, it's probably a good idea to limit your legume consumption since they all have isoflavones, not just soy.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

This is an old thread, but may answer questions some of us have been asking. Just thought I'd bump it for others to read at their convenience.
kkids is offline   Reply With Quote