3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Mini goals, Goals, Accomplishments & Rewards (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/205551-mini-goals-goals-accomplishments-rewards.html)

showgirlaz 06-25-2010 02:50 PM

Mini goals, Goals, Accomplishments & Rewards

I was thinking about the way we motivate ourselves to move forward in our weight loss and learning new habits. The thought got started as I read someone's post from the week and they brought up their mini goals. It occured to me I haven't set up or paid attention to mini goals since I broke my last "big" accomplishment. As I thought, I wondered, what can I do to keep me motivated for the last 25 pounds that isn't too expensive. For me, this stage is actually harder than the first 85 pounds. I don't know why, maybe I am bored, tired, frustrated I am still in phase 1, adapted to the diet, or, maybe, just close enough that my body is struggling to lose the excess and keep the essential. Whatever the case, I think I need 5 pound rewards instead of 10 pounds and things that are less costly.

I started looking around for ideas of what people use for rewards and came up with a few good webpages.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...=1&art_id=1911
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...1&art_id=18181
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...t-food-471326/

Some of the reward ideas that are NOT food oriented:

New exercise dvd
New fitness class
New MP3 Music
Massage
New Haircolor
New Makeup
Start a savings account for a wardrobe
Tatoo/piercing
A new Book
A housecleaner for a day
New athletic shoes
Try a new sport you were afraid/uncomfortable to try at a heavier weight
A staycation or mini vacation
A special tea at a cozy café
A long soak in a tub/quiet “me” time
A facial
Mani/Pedi at a salon
Glamour photos
Flowers – deliver them to yourself at the office if you dare! ;)
New outfit
Visit a place or see something you’ve never been but always wanted to go/do… museum, play, ballet, symphony, concert, movie, gallery, craft store, etc.

I found it interesting that one of the articles suggested rewarding yourself when you realize you have learned a new habit. Basically, reward your new habit, accomplishment, when you realize that you consistently do something different or genuinely don't want something anymore. I liked this because it is similar to the way we celebrate our NSV (non scale victories). After all, it isn't just about the pounds we lose. Our journey is about creating new habits and lifestyles so we can keep the success we have today. Expanding on that idea of rewards, one might also reward reaching new BMI, new body fat, achieving healthy blood work results i.e. lower cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar/insulin, getting off or reducing medications, reaching a particular body measurement, finally getting to a clothing size you find meaningful.

We have lots of things to be aware of, recognize, and celebrate as we drop pounds and change our lifestyle. Let's find ways to value what we've done, all along the way, without linking those happy moments to food or restaurants.

My mini goals: I like to "pamper" so, my rewards are a bit hedonistic. :o Some of them I already bought via groupon.com so the prices were AMAZING! My sister is a massage therapist so, the massage I am trading my sister babysitting time. The mani/pedi are another trade for a girlfriend who does nails and wants me to pet sit for a long weekend. I hope I am not being inappropriate but, Get creative with people you know and there may be some great rewards in your future!

160 pounds: manicure/pedicure
155 pounds: massage
150 pounds: facial
Healthy BMI: rock climbing class
145: body wrap and exfoliation
140: New hair color and style
135 (GOAL!!): Hot Air Balloon Ride
22% bodyfat: check up with the naturopath (hormones and body analysis)

Does anyone else have ideas for rewards? What are your "mini goal/accomplishments" and rewards?

WannabeIP 06-25-2010 06:07 PM

Carla Funny thing is I went to the tatoo shop yesterday, I have a really old tat that has never been touched up so I am gonna get it covered with something new, she will design something for me based on what we need to cover and what I am into... that is my goal gift to myself, it will take some time as she is super busy but it will be worth the wait.... I have also struggled with the last 10-15 pounds have been hangin on for what seems like forever, the 10 pound challenge really helped me to refocus and get it done... your goals are great, hot air balloon ride sounds sweet!!!!

showgirlaz 06-25-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannabeIP (Post 3358433)
Carla Funny thing is I went to the tatoo shop yesterday, I have a really old tat that has never been touched up so I am gonna get it covered with something new, she will design something for me based on what we need to cover and what I am into... that is my goal gift to myself, it will take some time as she is super busy but it will be worth the wait.... I have also struggled with the last 10-15 pounds have been hangin on for what seems like forever, the 10 pound challenge really helped me to refocus and get it done... your goals are great, hot air balloon ride sounds sweet!!!!

Thanks! What kind of tattoo or theme are you thinking of getting? I think it is a great way to remember something with special meaning. It isn't for everyone, I have learned that from all the questions I get about mine! :)

I have done better with my focus and loss since starting the 10 pound challenge too but, still have a ways to go. I really want it gone!! I guess it is good that it is taking awhile to lose the weight. It didn't come on in a short period of time and I need to change a few habits. I am just ready to be done! :)

motiv8edmama 06-25-2010 09:45 PM

That's great Carla! I really need to think about this. Like you, I have been thinking about my reward for the "big" goal, my tattoo. I need to think about smaller goals. I loved the idea of trading things for your rewards so you can still afford it. Hmmm....

Well, let's see here. I am now between a size 20 and 18 and let me tell you, all my life I have dreamed of being a size 16, so I think when I get there, I will reward myself with a body wrap. I have also always wanted one of those so I think that is only fitting.

I am now at 225, so I need to come up with something for 215. I think I will buy a tanning package.

220, get toes done with my bestie and my daughters.

This actually isn't so easy as I haven't been rewarding myself, my family and my bestie have been doing it all along. So, I guess I need to consult with them... :)

showgirlaz 06-25-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motiv8edmama (Post 3358625)
That's great Carla! I really need to think about this. Like you, I have been thinking about my reward for the "big" goal, my tattoo. I need to think about smaller goals. I loved the idea of trading things for your rewards so you can still afford it. Hmmm....

Well, let's see here. I am now between a size 20 and 18 and let me tell you, all my life I have dreamed of being a size 16, so I think when I get there, I will reward myself with a body wrap. I have also always wanted one of those so I think that is only fitting.

I am now at 225, so I need to come up with something for 215. I think I will buy a tanning package.

220, get toes done with my bestie and my daughters.

This actually isn't so easy as I haven't been rewarding myself, my family and my bestie have been doing it all along. So, I guess I need to consult with them... :)

I liked the idea of a wrap too! I have never done one by my sister did after she got beyond her radiation therapy (for thyroid cancer) and had her energy back. She LOVED it and looked great!

The tanning sounds like FUN! I used to do tanning all the time and it was so relaxing! I am sure you all will have a great memory with the "toe painting party" too!

I wish we had a way to pass around our clothes! I have BOXES of size 20, 18, 16, 14's that don't fit. Some of them I never even got to wear!

motiv8edmama 06-25-2010 10:41 PM

I've wondered how we could swap clothes as well. I though about the possibility of having a thread where we could list what we have, maybe take a pic or so, then if the parties involved each had paypal, the person with the clothes could find out how much the weight being shipped would be, how much they may want for what is being sent and then the receiver could pay through pay pal to, if nothing else, have the clothes shipped. If we couldn't do it on here, maybe on one of our 3FC facebook pages. It would be nice to be able to help each other this way. I have several nice items of clothing I wore about a month. I gave some to my cousin, but she really doesn't have the need for real nice clothes as that is not her.

I saw you had a wrap on your list. I think I'll put it on my list to come to AZ and get wraps together...wouldn't that be fun!! There is a salon here that offers infrared sauna wraps. I hear you loose close to 1600 calories doing one. I hear it melts some fat cells while also squishing them together, making you loose inches. Do you know any other awesome benefits, other than improving the skin?

Stacey41 06-26-2010 06:47 AM

I broke my total weight loss into four equal parts, so here are my goals:

25% - Reached 6/22! :D Pampering products - I bought a nice bath pillow, Burt's Bees foot cream and lip gloss and a Regenerist eye roller

50% - Goal date 7/22 - Gym membership

75% - Goal date 8/16 - Spa day

100% - Goal date 9/9 - New laptop

Also, I'm putting a little bit away each week that I lose weight to go towards my goals.

showgirlaz 06-26-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motiv8edmama (Post 3358685)
I've wondered how we could swap clothes as well. I though about the possibility of having a thread where we could list what we have, maybe take a pic or so, then if the parties involved each had paypal, the person with the clothes could find out how much the weight being shipped would be, how much they may want for what is being sent and then the receiver could pay through pay pal to, if nothing else, have the clothes shipped. If we couldn't do it on here, maybe on one of our 3FC facebook pages. It would be nice to be able to help each other this way. I have several nice items of clothing I wore about a month. I gave some to my cousin, but she really doesn't have the need for real nice clothes as that is not her.

I saw you had a wrap on your list. I think I'll put it on my list to come to AZ and get wraps together...wouldn't that be fun!! There is a salon here that offers infrared sauna wraps. I hear you loose close to 1600 calories doing one. I hear it melts some fat cells while also squishing them together, making you loose inches. Do you know any other awesome benefits, other than improving the skin?

It would be! I haven't heard of the infared sauna wrap. My sister did this herbal wrap. It helps to tighten and tone skin. I figure by that point, I MAY need a little somethin'!

I don't think we are allowed exchange things on 3fc but, maybe someone could figure something out through facebook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey41 (Post 3358913)
I broke my total weight loss into four equal parts, so here are my goals:

25% - Reached 6/22! :D Pampering products - I bought a nice bath pillow, Burt's Bees foot cream and lip gloss and a Regenerist eye roller

50% - Goal date 7/22 - Gym membership

75% - Goal date 8/16 - Spa day

100% - Goal date 9/9 - New laptop

Also, I'm putting a little bit away each week that I lose weight to go towards my goals.

That works! I like the laptop idea! That is unique :) Congrats on making the first goal!

motiv8edmama 07-08-2010 10:25 PM

I have started thinking of having my teeth whitened for goal. I'll have to really start saving money to get my tattoo at 190 and then my teeth whitened five to ten pounds later. But it would be oh so nice.

I had a size goal of body wrap, pound goal of tan package and pedi. I am thinking I may hit all these about the same time, so need a couple hundred dollars. I need to sale something...LOL!

TaylorMayde 07-08-2010 11:20 PM

I wish I had the money to reward myself :( I use my "extra" money each week to pay for the supplements, so ANYTHING extra is out of the question. I can't even afford redbox movies right now.
Sort of NSV, I was running low in veggies today - down to just lettuce and half a bell pepper- and completely out of money until I get paid tomorrow. Sooo...I took some new jewelry I had bought back and took the money to go buy veggies. I was so proud of myself...maybe I'll reward myself with some jewelry! lol :carrot:

motiv8edmama 07-08-2010 11:28 PM

Taylor, did you see where Carla is doing things in exchange for some of her rewards? It is a nice way to be able to reward yourself. I am going to put some of my too big clothes that are nice and have not been worn much on ebay or take them to a consignment shop to help me with new clothes, rewards, etc.

You came up with a great way to meet your needs!

WannabeIP 07-09-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3358504)
Thanks! What kind of tattoo or theme are you thinking of getting? I think it is a great way to remember something with special meaning. It isn't for everyone, I have learned that from all the questions I get about mine! :)

I have done better with my focus and loss since starting the 10 pound challenge too but, still have a ways to go. I really want it gone!! I guess it is good that it is taking awhile to lose the weight. It didn't come on in a short period of time and I need to change a few habits. I am just ready to be done! :)

Sorry I didnt see your question.... sometimes it hard to keep track with all the threads, I have a really old sun tat that is really not very pretty... I love the concept of the sun, energy, growth, warmth so I think something similiar but more modern and bigger with lots of color mine is 20 years old and hasnt seen any color for I am sure 15 of those years. Some of the work that is done these days is incredible so we shall see what she comes up with....

showgirlaz 07-09-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motiv8edmama (Post 3377657)
I have started thinking of having my teeth whitened for goal. I'll have to really start saving money to get my tattoo at 190 and then my teeth whitened five to ten pounds later. But it would be oh so nice.

I had a size goal of body wrap, pound goal of tan package and pedi. I am thinking I may hit all these about the same time, so need a couple hundred dollars. I need to sale something...LOL!

Sounds like you have some good ideas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorMayde (Post 3377722)
I wish I had the money to reward myself :( I use my "extra" money each week to pay for the supplements, so ANYTHING extra is out of the question. I can't even afford redbox movies right now.
Sort of NSV, I was running low in veggies today - down to just lettuce and half a bell pepper- and completely out of money until I get paid tomorrow. Sooo...I took some new jewelry I had bought back and took the money to go buy veggies. I was so proud of myself...maybe I'll reward myself with some jewelry! lol :carrot:

I completely understand. I think you came up with a creative way to make things work! :hug:

When you are losing still think about rewards for yourself. They don't have to be expensive, big or even have a cost but do plan a little something special for you. Allow yourself to go somewhere you haven't been, take a walk, plan a girls nights and exchange manicures, pedicures, or facials. Look for coupons to things in your area or check out groupon.com. I got a facial on there for $10.00 and a tan package (3 spray tans) for $25.00. I know it is a price but it is much less than normal and, maybe it will fall at a time when you have a little extra. Try trading something for what you want. AND, don't forget to sell those clothes that don't fit on ebay! Always keep your most important priorities first and if need be keep a list and treat yourself when you can!

I remember when I was starting out on my own, early 20's, I didn't want to ask my parents for help, I lived in California and everyone else was in Arizona, I had many times where I had to make those choices. The worst I ever remember it being was having to hock jewelery my parents gave me. I was very determined to go it on my own and I needed to pay a bill (car registration). I had just been paid but was short a fair amount and the only option I had until payday (10 days away) was to hock my jewelery. Well after I had freed the it from the pawn shop my dad found out. He was so funny about it and surprised that I had gone that route.

My sister used to joke about how she budgeted when she first moved away from home. Before she died, her older step daughters came to her about money for rent, she helped them but then explained, "Sometimes it is a choice between rent and beer. Never buy beer if you won't have an apartment to drink it in! :) "

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannabeIP (Post 3377875)
Sorry I didnt see your question.... sometimes it hard to keep track with all the threads, I have a really old sun tat that is really not very pretty... I love the concept of the sun, energy, growth, warmth so I think something similiar but more modern and bigger with lots of color mine is 20 years old and hasnt seen any color for I am sure 15 of those years. Some of the work that is done these days is incredible so we shall see what she comes up with....

I like that! There are so many sun designs out there these days. You'll have to share what you finally settle on.

Stacey41 07-09-2010 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorMayde (Post 3377722)

Taylor, I know things are tight, but if you could stick even a tiny bit each week into a savings account you'll have a little extra money when you hit your goals. That's what I'm doing (I have it taken out of my paycheck so I don't even see it). It doesn't have to be a lot, it's the fact that you are doing something for you, not the price tag attached.

Also, throw all your change into a jar - you'd be surprised at how fast it adds up! :yes: I probably have $10 in coins rolling around in my car and the bottom of my purse! :o

motiv8edmama 07-10-2010 01:28 AM

I am looking at this groupon, very interesting.

I do have a question. I have some clothes to sale and was going to do that through ebay. Do any of you sale clothes on ebay? If so, do you think it is more profitable to sale by the piece of by the lot?

Thanks!!