Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #1  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Life After Phase 1

With so many members here now, and so many successes, more and more people are nearing the transition to maintenance. It seems appropriate (while we still have veterans aboard) to start a thread that captures information re: the later phases, before everyone runs off to enjoy their new lives!

If you are currently in Phase 3 or 4, please share your knowledge and experiences in the transition phases; our needs and questions are very different now than they were during the weight loss period. If you are phasing out to take a break before completing your IP program in the future, stay tied to the community and let us know how that approach is working for you. If you are an alum just checking in after months of maintenance, please share your long term successes and caution us about things we may need to watch out for...

If you are nearing transition or simply want to plan ahead, maybe questions like these have come up:

• I’ve got Phases 1 and 2 worked out, but what happens when I get to Phase 3?

• What should my meal plan be during maintenance?

• The guidelines aren’t as specific as they were during the weight loss phases... do I continue to use IP products, or stop them entirely? What about the supplements?

• Will I gain back weight during transition? Should I build some margin into my goal ahead of time?

Here is the place to ask the people who are currently dealing with these issues. Please keep your posts on topic, and please, no “twitter-like” posting that creates clutter.

Let's give this a try, and see where it goes...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

great idea! (Bump)
Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #3  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Good idea Novak! I guess I will be a regular of this thread, now being in phase 3 and having less and less computer time to catch up with the posts!

Would you have breakfast advice? I find myself alternating between 2 toasts with yogourt, fiber 1 cereals with milk, quick oatmeal w yogourt also! and eating eggs most mornings. For fruits, I chose to stick with strawberries, rasberries and honeydew. Are these IP wise?

Thank you for your advice!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #4  

Hey Sylvia - glad you asked about breakfasts, that was one of my questions too! Different ideas for breakfasts...

Also - on phase 3 does anyone ever switch it around or add extras to other meals ie: bread at lunchtime for a sandwich instead of having your bread at breakfast? Can that be done?

I'm on phase 2 as of this morning, I'm only staying on Phase 2 for a week before moving to phase 3 so I was starting to wonder how it all works!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #5  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Would you have breakfast advice? I find myself alternating between 2 toasts with yogourt, fiber 1 cereals with milk, quick oatmeal w yogourt also! and eating eggs most mornings. For fruits, I chose to stick with strawberries, rasberries and honeydew. Are these IP wise?

Thank you for your advice!
Phase 3 went by so fast! I basically studied the charts and tables in the protocol (posted in the sticky section), then settled on a weekend, home version, and a more transportable version for work... based on the sample menus. At home, I had a whole grain English muffin, a half slice of veggie cheese and fried egg on each side, 3 slices of veggie bacon, yogurt and fruit... usually honeydew. (I don't eat meat.) At work, I have yogurt with blueberries/raspberries and Meusli cereal, and a slice of toast with peanut butter. I used the amounts in the handout, and made sure these choices fit within the guidelines for carbs, protein, calories and fat.

Sounds like you are right on with your choices. I started with a banana early on, but switched to lower carb options. It's a lot of food, but I love breakfast! And even with all that food, I actually lost another 2+ pounds in Phase 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey Sylvia - glad you asked about breakfasts, that was one of my questions too! Different ideas for breakfasts...

Also - on phase 3 does anyone ever switch it around or add extras to other meals ie: bread at lunchtime for a sandwich instead of having your bread at breakfast? Can that be done?

I'm on phase 2 as of this morning, I'm only staying on Phase 2 for a week before moving to phase 3 so I was starting to wonder how it all works!
I stayed on Phase 2 for a week and five days, because I'd already overshot my goal... but I did study up on Phase 3. It was such a big change, and I didn't want to mess things up after doing so well. The one thing you DON'T do is switch around the breakfast items. They must all be consumed together, at one sitting. That way, your body secretes insulin just once a day, so cells do not revert to insulin resistance. The other meals and snack do not change at all from Phase 2. As you may recall, BevS was told she could add back other veggies, but that is not the direction I had, and I did not make any changes except breakfast. I figured it was only two more weeks, and I'd already made it that far.

For different options, I'd go look at the sample menus and do some mixing and matching. There are lots of choices and combinations you can put together... just make sure you stay within the guidelines.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #6  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Good idea Novak! I guess I will be a regular of this thread, now being in phase 3 and having less and less computer time to catch up with the posts!
Sylvie,

You've been such a monster on this program, would you mind posting some of your final stats as you transition from the weight loss phases? We know how many pounds you've lost... what about a spread of inches? And do you have any notable successes on the health side? For example, the changes to my blood pressure and cholesterol levels have been very significant. (I plan to post when I get a chance.) Any results you can share?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi, All, Just checking in. Thanks for the reminder, Novak. Are you doing a cheat day once a week? I attended a family reunion last Friday and picked that day as a cheat day. I was a bit concerned but not overly. I ate whatever I wanted that day, including anniversary cake (my in-laws' sixtieth). The next day my weight was 1 pound over goal and I did Phase 1 all day. The following morning my weight was 133.8 so I was good to go. I had my blood pressure checked at the doctor's office yesterday, and it was 120/74, which she said was excellent. I have not been measuring my salt any longer, just sprinkling it on as desired (I was used to eating 1 tsp. per day as per my protocol). I have continued to take my fish oil capsules even though it's not listed on my Phase 4 protocol sheet. But I take 2 of them at breakfast and 2 at lunch rather than at dinner as I used to do, since we're not supposed to have much fat at dinner. I'm loving breakfast. I have been having 2 eggs over medium in olive oil PAM, 1 1/2 slices toast (each slice has 22 carb grams), 1 cup organic low-fat plain yogurt mixed with a serving of fruit, and 16 oz. water, along with various supplements. I have been buying organic apples and microwaving them until soft, then adding a bit of splenda and some cinnamon. Mmmm.... I usually also have a piece of fruit after dinner. I've been having a bar every day for my snack, just like I did during the other phases. I find I'm not constantly thinking about food any longer and sometimes have to remind myself to eat, especially in the evening.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #8  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Hi, All, Just checking in. Thanks for the reminder, Novak. Are you doing a cheat day once a week? I attended a family reunion last Friday and picked that day as a cheat day. I was a bit concerned but not overly. I ate whatever I wanted that day, including anniversary cake (my in-laws' sixtieth). The next day my weight was 1 pound over goal and I did Phase 1 all day. The following morning my weight was 133.8 so I was good to go. I had my blood pressure checked at the doctor's office yesterday, and it was 120/74, which she said was excellent. I have not been measuring my salt any longer, just sprinkling it on as desired (I was used to eating 1 tsp. per day as per my protocol). I have continued to take my fish oil capsules even though it's not listed on my Phase 4 protocol sheet. But I take 2 of them at breakfast and 2 at lunch rather than at dinner as I used to do, since we're not supposed to have much fat at dinner. I'm loving breakfast. I have been having 2 eggs over medium in olive oil PAM, 1 1/2 slices toast (each slice has 22 carb grams), 1 cup organic low-fat plain yogurt mixed with a serving of fruit, and 16 oz. water, along with various supplements. I have been buying organic apples and microwaving them until soft, then adding a bit of splenda and some cinnamon. Mmmm.... I usually also have a piece of fruit after dinner. I've been having a bar every day for my snack, just like I did during the other phases. I find I'm not constantly thinking about food any longer and sometimes have to remind myself to eat, especially in the evening.
I haven't done a cheat day yet... I haven't really craved anything, and there have been no tempting events going on around me. I guess when I finally decide to cheat, it will be for pizza. That's the last splurge I had before I started IP.

I do love the breakfast, but lunch is harder for me due to the protein. I have sometimes fallen back on a premade shake, since it's so much easier at the office, where I usually eat at my desk. Since I don't eat meat, and we're not required to have protein at dinner, it's important that I get sufficient protein at lunch... guess that's part of my routine I need to work on.

Sounds like you have a very healthy regimen going... do I assume this is a significant change from your meal routine before IP? I really haven't strayed that far from Phase 3, though I imagine things will gradually work their way back as I keep reminding myself that I'm allowed to have them now...

Excellent numbers on the BP! I'm still a little scattered on how to handle the supplements... I plan to ask the nutritionist when I go to a Phase 4 workshop Thursday evening.

Like you, I have a little weight window that I'm operating within: 131-133 pounds. I go up and down from day to day, but rarely go outside. When I step up my program to include "cheats", I may break the window, but sounds like you've worked the quick fix. I'll keep that in mind for pizza day.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Sounds like you have a very healthy regimen going... do I assume this is a significant change from your meal routine before IP? I really haven't strayed that far from Phase 3, though I imagine things will gradually work their way back as I keep reminding myself that I'm allowed to have them now...

Excellent numbers on the BP! I'm still a little scattered on how to handle the supplements... I plan to ask the nutritionist when I go to a Phase 4 workshop Thursday evening.
Yes, this is a significant change in my meal routine. For one thing, I used to eat maybe 1 egg and 1 piece of toast for breakfast. I was always trying to watch what I ate while I kept gaining. Now I'm eating much more and much more healthily.

Let me know what the nutritionist tells you.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #10  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Default Critical Phase 4 Typo!

I just discovered a typo on the PDF version of the Phase 4 Protocol posted in the IP Phases sticky.

I was wondering why the sheets I printed out said to eat 5-7 ounces of complex carbs (pasta, rice, etc,) That seemed like a tremendous amount of food to me...

I compared this with Ogdog's Phase 4 post, and also consulted the Tran Tien Diet website. The actual amount is "0.5 to 1.0 ounces," which I think you will agree is a significant difference! So if anyone is trying to cram down 7 ounces of pasta for dinner, back off!

Does anyone have a newer version of the protocol with the right numbers? Or can someone get one from their coach? I'll ask tomorrow at my workshop...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I just discovered a typo on the PDF version of the Phase 4 Protocol posted in the IP Phases sticky.

I was wondering why the sheets I printed out said to eat 5-7 ounces of complex carbs (pasta, rice, etc,) That seemed like a tremendous amount of food to me...

I compared this with Ogdog's Phase 4 post, and also consulted the Tran Tien Diet website. The actual amount is "0.5 to 1.0 ounces," which I think you will agree is a significant difference! So if anyone is trying to cram down 7 ounces of pasta for dinner, back off!

Does anyone have a newer version of the protocol with the right numbers? Or can someone get one from their coach? I'll ask tomorrow at my workshop...
Hi, Novak, the sheet I got from my regional rep says 7 ounces of complex carbs plus fruit besides the 7 oz. protein and vegetables for dinner.ex: steak, baked potato, corn & spinach raspberry salad. The 4-sheet, phase 4 - Maintenance dieter handout I printed out from this forum's stickies says 5 to 7 oz. rice, pasta, lentils, semolina, dried beans, quinoa, potatoes, etc., weighed and cooked. A 5-ounce potato is not all that big, what I would consider a small to medium potato. This same handout says you can have as many vegetables as you want and that meat is optional, no more than 3.5 oz. white fish or 3 oz. lean ham or deli chicken, a can of plain tuna or seafood. For dessert: 1 serving of yogurt, 1 fruit or 1 serving of stewed fruit. The fruit is optional.

I just checked his book. On page 76 we read the following:

"For dinner, you’ll have:
- 150 to 200 g complex carbohydrates, weighed and cooked.
There are three kinds of complex carbohydrates:
• starchy foods, like potatoes, which are not that
great because they contain no protein and have a
fairly high glycemic index;
• grains: wheat, bulgur, buckwheat, corn;
• pulses: lentils, field beans, chickpeas.
To summarize, you can choose from rice, pasta, lentils, semolina,
green peas, beans, potatoes, wheat or buckwheat, as all contain
complex carbs."

So it looks to me like the typo is the one that says .5 to 1 oz. Or it could be that they meant to put 1/2 to 1 CUP, instead of 1/2 to 1 ounce. That would be a minuscule amount of food. 150 to 200 grams is the same as 5-7 oz.

Last edited by BevS; 06-16-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #12  

So I have a question about phase 4 regarding separating fats & carbs:

Is that just at dinner time or is that always?
because IP define fats as:
butter, cheese, margarine, milk, oils & yogurt and yet many of their breakfast ideas include cereal (carb) and milk (fat) or toast (carb) with butter or cheese (fat) or granola (carb) with yogurt (fat).

I'm confused lol.

Also you are allowed carbs at breakfast and dinner but not at lunch?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
So I have a question about phase 4 regarding separating fats & carbs:

Is that just at dinner time or is that always?
because IP define fats as:
butter, cheese, margarine, milk, oils & yogurt and yet many of their breakfast ideas include cereal (carb) and milk (fat) or toast (carb) with butter or cheese (fat) or granola (carb) with yogurt (fat).

I'm confused lol.

Also you are allowed carbs at breakfast and dinner but not at lunch?
Hi, Jordanna, We can have small amounts of fat with our slow carbs. For example, we can butter our toast lightly with our breakfast or use light butter. I just don't use it since I'm having low-fat yogurt anyway. Then at lunch we can have a tablespoon or more of fat, but no bread or other slow carbs or fruit. At dinner we can have 5-7 ounces of slow carbs but a teaspoon or less fat. We can have a sprinkle of parmesan cheese at dinner, for example, but not a regular slice of cheese. We're allowed to switch our lunch and dinner menus when we want, but if we do, we're supposed to not have as much fat in the evening as we could have had at lunch because it encourages acid reflux in the evening.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #14  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
I just checked his book. On page 76 we read the following:

"For dinner, you’ll have:
- 150 to 200 g complex carbohydrates, weighed and cooked.
There are three kinds of complex carbohydrates:
• starchy foods, like potatoes, which are not that
great because they contain no protein and have a
fairly high glycemic index;
• grains: wheat, bulgur, buckwheat, corn;
• pulses: lentils, field beans, chickpeas.
To summarize, you can choose from rice, pasta, lentils, semolina,
green peas, beans, potatoes, wheat or buckwheat, as all contain
complex carbs."

So it looks to me like the typo is the one that says .5 to 1 oz. Or it could be that they meant to put 1/2 to 1 CUP, instead of 1/2 to 1 ounce. That would be a minuscule amount of food. 150 to 200 grams is the same as 5-7 oz.
Okay... I'm now conflicted. The 0.5 to 1.0 sounds small, but when I look at it in terms of pasta, the box says 2 ounces is a serving, and 5-7 ounces seems like a huge amount of food. I'm going to ask tonight at the workshop...

Sheesh! Who knew Phase 4 was going to be so confusing?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #15  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Hi, Jordanna, We can have small amounts of fat with our slow carbs. For example, we can butter our toast lightly with our breakfast or use light butter. I just don't use it since I'm having low-fat yogurt anyway. Then at lunch we can have a tablespoon or more of fat, but no bread or other slow carbs or fruit. At dinner we can have 5-7 ounces of slow carbs but a teaspoon or less fat. We can have a sprinkle of parmesan cheese at dinner, for example, but not a regular slice of cheese. We're allowed to switch our lunch and dinner menus when we want, but if we do, we're supposed to not have as much fat in the evening as we could have had at lunch because it encourages acid reflux in the evening.
Jeez, Bev... do you have all this memorized? I have to keep looking at the cheat sheet to remember what I'm supposed to do when! I think I may need to work out some menus that fit the bill ahead of time so I don't need to tax my poor, overworked brain every time a meal rolls around.
Closed Thread