Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #136  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
Ohhhh I licked the bowl this morning with my breakfast.... Novak do you normally eat a nice breakfast like that everyday? I think I am still in ketosis or maybe I really do need to see the dentist? Do you think once you have rested thru phase 1 & 2 you can go back to fat burn that quickly? I heard that it could happen in 3 hours? Do you normally have a cheat weekend or just one cheat day? I cant decide if I will have ww waffle, ww muffin or an egg mcdelicious tomorrow... wow I am not just a carb junkie, I am just a food junkie.
It took at least a week in Phase 3 for the color of my Ketostix to fade from moderate to negative... so you are probably still in ketosis.

I do eat a pretty good breakfast most days, following the tenet: eat breakfast like a king (okay, queen), lunch like a princess, and dinner like a pauper. My weekend breakfast is usually close to what I described above with the eggs, and at work I have a big bowl of yogurt with fruit and muesli-type cereal, as well as a piece of toast with peanut butter. Portions are consistent with what I did in Phase 3. Sometimes I may not have the toast part, occasionally I'll switch it up with a bowl of cereal, toast with sugar-free jam, etc. I just bought some Quaker Oats pancake mix (it's on the Phase 3 list), which I will have this weekend with blueberries. Can't wait!

Doctor Z said yes, after Phase 3 "pancreas training" (my term, not hers!), ketosis happens during the night, and for me, it seems to happen other times, as well. I did a few days of modified Phase 2 while my sister was visiting (still consuming some carbs, dairy, fruit and wine), and I turned those Ketostix a beautiful shade of purple in no time. And I checked one afternoon last week when I was totally back in Phase 4 (thought I detected that telltale odor), and sure enough, the stix showed I was back in ketosis.

I've had a hard time with the cheat, in that I haven't ordered a big ol' pizza or anything, like I thought I would. Nor have I had a particular craving for sweets... I've passed up both cake and chocolate chip cookies. I have enjoyed a few martinis (not at one sitting!), some nice wine, and the savory snack foods that go along: cheese and crackers, that sort of thing... but not that much. My problem is more that I will nibble later into the night than I should. So I count it as a cheat if I do that three nights in a row. I haven't cheated during the day at all.

Now, if I go out for a nice dinner again (when no one at the table is dieting!), I may just go for it and count that one night as my whole cheat. Then I would do a no carb recovery the next day. Same thing if I have an event earlier in the day, or dig into a nice champagne brunch. But if I just keep in moderately off plan three nights in a row and find that my weight is up, I'll do a Monday recovery and get back where I want to be. That's what I did this last weekend, and it worked out as advertised.

So, I'm still learning... adjusting to the way my body responds. You'll no doubt find yourself doing the same.

I think I owe you a response to another question related to Birman, but I forgot what it was... I'll have to go back and check.

ENJOY YOUR BREAKFAST TOMORROW!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #137  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
It took at least a week in Phase 3 for the color of my Ketostix to fade from moderate to negative... so you are probably still in ketosis.

I do eat a pretty good breakfast most days, following the tenet: eat breakfast like a king (okay, queen), lunch like a princess, and dinner like a pauper. My weekend breakfast is usually close to what I described above with the eggs, and at work I have a big bowl of yogurt with fruit and muesli-type cereal, as well as a piece of toast with peanut butter. Portions are consistent with what I did in Phase 3. Sometimes I may not have the toast part, occasionally I'll switch it up with a bowl of cereal, toast with sugar-free jam, etc. I just bought some Quaker Oats pancake mix (it's on the Phase 3 list), which I will have this weekend with blueberries. Can't wait!

Doctor Z said yes, after Phase 3 "pancreas training" (my term, not hers!), ketosis happens during the night, and for me, it seems to happen other times, as well. I did a few days of modified Phase 2 while my sister was visiting (still consuming some carbs, dairy, fruit and wine), and I turned those Ketostix a beautiful shade of purple in no time. And I checked one afternoon last week when I was totally back in Phase 4 (thought I detected that telltale odor), and sure enough, the stix showed I was back in ketosis.

I've had a hard time with the cheat, in that I haven't ordered a big ol' pizza or anything, like I thought I would. Nor have I had a particular craving for sweets... I've passed up both cake and chocolate chip cookies. I have enjoyed a few martinis (not at one sitting!), some nice wine, and the savory snack foods that go along: cheese and crackers, that sort of thing... but not that much. My problem is more that I will nibble later into the night than I should. So I count it as a cheat if I do that three nights in a row. I haven't cheated during the day at all.

Now, if I go out for a nice dinner again (when no one at the table is dieting!), I may just go for it and count that one night as my whole cheat. Then I would do a no carb recovery the next day. Same thing if I have an event earlier in the day, or dig into a nice champagne brunch. But if I just keep in moderately off plan three nights in a row and find that my weight is up, I'll do a Monday recovery and get back where I want to be. That's what I did this last weekend, and it worked out as advertised.

So, I'm still learning... adjusting to the way my body responds. You'll no doubt find yourself doing the same.

I think I owe you a response to another question related to Birman, but I forgot what it was... I'll have to go back and check.

ENJOY YOUR BREAKFAST TOMORROW!!!
Novak- I did thank you.... speaking of pancake mix... I made waffles with coyote brand mix, it is whole wheat, tastes really good, they are much heavier but very yummy with fruit and yougurt. Let me know how the oat ones are. Since alot of people are posting about vit and supps do you still take some of them all of them, none?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #138  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Novak- I did thank you.... speaking of pancake mix... I made waffles with coyote brand mix, it is whole wheat, tastes really good, they are much heavier but very yummy with fruit and yougurt. Let me know how the oat ones are. Since alot of people are posting about vit and supps do you still take some of them all of them, none?
Blueberry pancakes tomorrow. Can't wait!

Since I dropped the potassium per the protocol, I've now switched completely from IP supplements. I do cal mag and multi, as well as fish oil, anti-oxy, and enzymes. I also still do a baby aspirin a day, but am off my BP and cholesterol meds

As an aside, my sister followed your lead by whining the first week of Phase 2 , and rejoicing the second week. She'll move to Phase 3 tomorrow or Saturday.

Hey, I'm curious. Have you continued to lose on Phase 3? I bumped up the first 2-3 days, then lost that and a couple more over the two weeks.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #139  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
Blueberry pancakes tomorrow. Can't wait!

Since I dropped the potassium per the protocol, I've now switched completely from IP supplements. I do cal mag and multi, as well as fish oil, anti-oxy, and enzymes. I also still do a baby aspirin a day, but am off my BP and cholesterol meds

As an aside, my sister followed your lead by whining the first week of Phase 2 , and rejoicing the second week. She'll move to Phase 3 tomorrow or Saturday.

Hey, I'm curious. Have you continued to lose on Phase 3? I bumped up the first 2-3 days, then lost that and a couple more over the two weeks.
BAHHHH HAAAA HAAA... we are the phase 2-1 weenies...... gotta be the extra protein.... uuurrrmmmm ya right. Sorry still in ketosis and finding the simplest things amusing oh and the lack of sleep. I have continued to lose ( I was at 123.8 yesterday morning eeekkk) but I have also introduced exercise, so I am trying to balance out my ins and outs, I do not want to lose anymore, my fat% is already at 20.8, but I need to get the exercise, helps with tummy troubles for me. I really have to remind myself to eat the snack at night, I think it was like 10 last night before I remember and I am never really hungry, it is fantastic. Now that I allow myself the bars as snacks I dont even want them... I am perfectly happy with my puddings, weird. I take all the same supps as you with the IP ones and I also take vit c & d. I am a pill popper... I am a pill popper (tune to Wheel of Fortune AD).

It is too bad we dont have more peps - for life after phase 1 it is interesting to compare. Maintenance has always been my downfall so I really feel that this is important, I wonder how Ottawa is doing, did SylvieG finish her phases? I know there is more of us.....
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #140  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
It is too bad we dont have more peps - for life after phase 1 it is interesting to compare. Maintenance has always been my downfall so I really feel that this is important, I wonder how Ottawa is doing, did SylvieG finish her phases? I know there is more of us.....
I agree... I have checked Jordanna on her blog, but I know there are a few others around. As I said, IP stabilization and maintenance were black holes for me when I entered Phase 3, so hopefully someone is finding this useful... though as long as YOU appreciate the discussion, I guess it's worth it!

Hey, now that you've gotten so small, can't you change your avatar to a couple of quail eggs, a vanilla bean and a grape?

Last edited by Novak; 07-15-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #141  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
I agree... I have checked Jordanna on her blog, but I know there are a few others around. As I said, IP stabilization and maintenance were black holes for me when I entered Phase 3, so hopefully someone is finding this useful... though as long as YOU appreciate the discussion, I guess it's worth it!

Hey, now that you've gotten so small, can't you change your avatar to a couple of quail eggs, a vanilla bean and a grape?

Well I do appreciate the discussion I will look for a new avatar but I do love the breakfast theme... I guess it is a busy time of year for everyone so the chatter does drop in the summer, I am going camping this weekend I am taking my laptop but I am not sure if I will have internet so if you dont hear from me..... I WILL BE BACK.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #142  
slowthetime

I just wanted to say that this is the best IP thread! I can't wait to join you lovely ladies - maintenance has been the hardest part for me in the past and I know that this thread will make it easier! You rock... can't wait to be one of you... in the meantime I'm enjoy phase 1, day 5
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #143  
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowthetime View Post
I just wanted to say that this is the best IP thread! I can't wait to join you lovely ladies - maintenance has been the hardest part for me in the past and I know that this thread will make it easier! You rock... can't wait to be one of you... in the meantime I'm enjoy phase 1, day 5
You will be here before you know it.... and we will be here to help!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

I appreciate this thread.
I'm halfway through phase 3 right now and have managed to maintain my weight. I'm loving breakfast which has been an egg, toast, yogurt and fruit. The only downside for me now is I am more hungry than I was in the earlier phases. I am resisting the urge to overeat though.
I'll be in phase 4 next week when I start my vacation and will be doing my best to balance a good time with not overindulging too much. After vacation, I will be back to phase 1 to continue my weight loss journey. Maintenance scares me a bit, so I agree, it is good to compare experiences.
Your conversations have been very helpful to me!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #145  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Hey Novak and WannabeIP!

Just know this, I may not post here except to give the thread the occasional bump but, it is INVALUABLE to me! I am already reading it to get a feel for what is ahead. Please keep the great information and input coming. It really is important for and to all of us!

I can't wait to join you guys later this summer!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #146  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowthetime View Post
Awesome! Thanks for stopping by... we are an elite thread, but insightful and amusing. Hope to see you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajen88 View Post
I appreciate this thread.
I'm halfway through phase 3 right now and have managed to maintain my weight. I'm loving breakfast which has been an egg, toast, yogurt and fruit. The only downside for me now is I am more hungry than I was in the earlier phases. I am resisting the urge to overeat though.
I'll be in phase 4 next week when I start my vacation and will be doing my best to balance a good time with not overindulging too much. After vacation, I will be back to phase 1 to continue my weight loss journey. Maintenance scares me a bit, so I agree, it is good to compare experiences.
Your conversations have been very helpful to me!
Don't fear maintenance! It is awesome and empowering. Soon you too will learn to take complete control of your weight. Enjoy your vacation, and come back to see us soon! I was 133 on the weekend, today I'm 128... because that's where I wanted to be today. How cool is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Hey Novak and WannabeIP!

Just know this, I may not post here except to give the thread the occasional bump but, it is INVALUABLE to me! I am already reading it to get a feel for what is ahead. Please keep the great information and input coming. It really is important for and to all of us!

I can't wait to join you guys later this summer!
And I can't wait for you to get here!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #147  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:

Well I do appreciate the discussion I will look for a new avatar but I do love the breakfast theme... I guess it is a busy time of year for everyone so the chatter does drop in the summer, I am going camping this weekend I am taking my laptop but I am not sure if I will have internet so if you dont hear from me..... I WILL BE BACK.
Just yankin' your chain. I love your breakfast avatar. Have a great trip. (Are s'mores allowed on Phase 3? )

Last edited by Novak; 07-15-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #148  

Height: 5'8"

i am areally struggling today.

i have absolutely no appetite and have have 2 shakes today and don't want anything for dinner. i feel so uncomfortable(mentally and physically) eating food when i am in no way, shape or form hungry. i used to eat when i was bored, emotional...blah,blah,blah. and now i feel i've tamed that unnecessary *need* for food with ip. so, i'm not really sure how to handle to idea that i'm suppsed to be eating 10 ounces of meat everyday plus 4 cups of veggies, a ton of water plus 2 packets. it all just seems a little too overwhelming for my stomach.

anyone else been through this? what's a girl to do?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #149  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
i am areally struggling today.

i have absolutely no appetite and have have 2 shakes today and don't want anything for dinner. i feel so uncomfortable(mentally and physically) eating food when i am in no way, shape or form hungry. i used to eat when i was bored, emotional...blah,blah,blah. and now i feel i've tamed that unnecessary *need* for food with ip. so, i'm not really sure how to handle to idea that i'm suppsed to be eating 10 ounces of meat everyday plus 4 cups of veggies, a ton of water plus 2 packets. it all just seems a little too overwhelming for my stomach.

anyone else been through this? what's a girl to do?
Don't get too hung up on the numbers. You should not force yourself to eat the quantities written on the paper. It is more important that you get the correct combination of foods, in some amount. So eat what you are "supposed to" in amounts that satisfy you... I would err on the side of keeping up the protein and backing off the veggies a bit. And use packets that are less filling to you. But never eat to the point where you are uncomfortable... that's just a bad idea, whether on the diet or off. And you really don't want to start that pattern while on the diet, because the results will be much more dire when you start adding back carbs and fat.

Hopefully the malaise will soon pass, and you'll get back up to speed.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #150  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi everyone!

I am still around, reading the posts once in a while and back to a combination of phase 1-2... Went through phase 3 for a little less than 2 weeks and fell off the wagon on my wedding anniversary, followed by my son's birthday, followed by a wonderful trip to Niagara Falls!

Was so angry at myself that I first thought of never ever coming back to the boards (and less time on the computer with the beautiful weather we have this summer!) but forgave myself, back on IP and taking it one meal at a time... (though I am missing the breakfasts a LOT!!!!) Family vacations are coming up (last week of July and 1st week of August) which I should manage on a phase 3 and then decide if I get back on IP.

Thank you Novak and WannabeIP for keeping this thread alive - still an inspiration to me! I have not changed my ticker but was 144 this morning... never reached 130 but will!

Sylvie

Last edited by SylvieG; 07-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Closed Thread