3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Life After Phase 1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #121
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
What is the reason for exactly 2 weeks of phase 3 ?

We will be staying at the Carribean resorts. It's my first time that I'm going there, and it's such a little girl dream coming true !! i'm really excited about the trip I hope I'll be able to see everything !!!

Do you think that staying in phase 1 till my vacations, 1 week off, 2 week phase 1 and 1 week off could be really dangerous for my health ?

I'm kinda worried about the WD foods and everything, and also I think that by the end of this month, I could be able to shed another 10-15 pounds off, so I'm a little reticent about going to maintenance mode.. I'm wondering if the 2 week of phase 1 between the vacations could be kind of ''damage control week''. I hate to admit it, but I'm really afraid of phase 2-3-4.
Here's some Phase 3 info I posted earlier, after a Phase 4 workshop with a nutritionist:

Phase 3 is arguably the most crucial of the program, and one that is absent from most other diets. Assuming youíve followed the protocol and remained in ketosis throughout the diet, your pancreas has taken a nice, long break. At this point, your body is no longer resistant to the insulin your pancreas secretes, so it doesnít take as much to get your blood sugar under control. But you want to train your body to behave like that of a naturally slim person who burns rather than stores fat. So it doesnít make sense to revert back to your normal diet just yet.

By carbo-loading your first meal of the day, you will cause insulin to spike in response. The goal here is to ramp up your bodyís fat-burning capacity by establishing a new cycle for your pancreas. As a Type II diabetic, Dr. Z believes a longer period of time in Phase 3 would have been beneficial, but for most, the length of this phase must be two full weeks. Do NOT skimp on this phase. And if you should happen to repeat Phase 1 for a short period in the future to manage your weight during maintenance, you neednít follow it with Phase 2, but you should include Phase 3.

BOTTOM LINE: as a rule, you should never just stop Phase 1. It is important that you bring your pancreas back into service slowly, in a way that allows you to establish the fat burning cycle.

And don't be afraid of the other phases. You will continue to lose in Phase 2, and you shouldn't gain in Phase 3 (assuming you follow the protocol.) If you plan to avoid going crazy at WDW, you will be fine. There are actually lots of healthy choices there. I went twice while on Phase 1, and managed to stay pretty close to plan... I continued to lose at my normal weekly rate of 3 pounds.

Enjoy yourself in August, and start up again in September. You will lose anything you may have gained quickly, and get right back on track. Remember that you want to turn your body into an efficient, fat-burning machine. To do that, you need to take your pancreas through the Phase 3 process. It will be better for your body in the long run not to confuse the process by jumping in and out of Phase 1 during August.

That's my advice!
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
Lady5andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 217

S/C/G: 190/157/130

Height: 5'5''

Default

Thank Novak. I've read before about what you've write in Phase 3, but It seems like I did'nt remember it, so thanks for putting it up again ! I think I'll be better to go in maintenance mode, so I'll not make my system go crazy !!

Thanks for the advice, I knew that I'll have some good advice with you
__________________


Started IP April 7.
Off IP July 23 to August 21

The simple act of believing in you can open the doors leading to infinite possibilities. No one can be you more than you, and you can design a whole new universe if you tell yourself you're worth it. To wish you were someone else just wastes the person you are. So tonight, before you go to sleep, just say "I believe in me", and maybe tomorrow will be made of something new; confidence.

I believe in ME.
Lady5andy is offline  
Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
BevS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 714

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCASS View Post
Good Morning All!

I need some expert advice. Bevs! Novak!

I'm moving to Phase 3 today and I've been freaking out. I went shopping 3 times trying to find "ideal" whole wheat bread and everything has high fructose corn syrup in it.

So really my question is do you go by the actually ingredients in the items or just nutritional values to meet the required 30g grain carbs?

Also how do you get your 25g of breakfast protein? Do you have any suggestions.
I try to buy what I think is whole grain and healthy and then look at the total carbs. The bread I've been eating lately has 20 grams of carbs per slice so I eat 1 1/2 slices instead of 2 for breakfast.

My breakfast protein this morning consisted of the following: 2 eggs, 13 grams; 1 1/2 slices toast, 6 grams; 1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt, 10 grams; 1 cup blueberries, 4 grams, for a total of 33 protein grams. It's fine to have more than 25 grams of protein.

I'm curious about your moving to Phase 3. Are you planning on maintaining for a while so you can go on vacation at maintenance? Are you planning on going back on the diet in a couple of months?
__________________
BevS is offline  
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #124
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON
 
PRINCASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WYOMING
Posts: 113

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I try to buy what I think is whole grain and healthy and then look at the total carbs. The bread I've been eating lately has 20 grams of carbs per slice so I eat 1 1/2 slices instead of 2 for breakfast.

My breakfast protein this morning consisted of the following: 2 eggs, 13 grams; 1 1/2 slices toast, 6 grams; 1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt, 10 grams; 1 cup blueberries, 4 grams, for a total of 33 protein grams. It's fine to have more than 25 grams of protein.

I'm curious about your moving to Phase 3. Are you planning on maintaining for a while so you can go on vacation at maintenance? Are you planning on going back on the diet in a couple of months?


Thank you so much for your suggestions. I guess I did the right thing. I had exactly that.....1 1/2 pieces of toast, 1 egg, 3 pc of turkey bacon, 2c. almond milk and 7 oz of strawberries....(7oz of strawberries is alot!!)

About phase 3 -I'm doing exactly that! I really wish the timing was different I was feeling really comfortable in Phase 1 but I was however loosing very slowly close to the end....like 8 pounds a month. That's why I decided that while on vacation at the end of the month I'll be in maintenance while visiting friends in Vegas. And then yes when I get back I will return to Phase 1 and hope that that last 20 to 30 pounds just falls off like the 1st 30!!!

Again Thank you!
__________________

mini goal: under 180lbs (smaller than my husband...hehehe!!)Mini goal meet-April 1st 2010
Next mini goal to be under 160lbs....mini goal meet -June 18th 2010
Next mini goal to be in the 140's......149.8 meet goal -July 19th 2010
Next mini goal -Start toning my jiggly bits!!
PRINCASS is offline  
Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #125
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
Thank Novak. I've read before about what you've write in Phase 3, but It seems like I did'nt remember it, so thanks for putting it up again ! I think I'll be better to go in maintenance mode, so I'll not make my system go crazy !!

Thanks for the advice, I knew that I'll have some good advice with you
Be sure to report back on your WDW trip. I've stayed nearly everywhere on the Disney property (except the Caribbean Beach resort), and I'm sure you will love it! If you have any questions about WDW, I can probably answer those, too!
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #126
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Well first week of phase 2 hasnt gone all that well for me.... still up in weight this week? I am pretty sure I am in ketosis, I went back to my food journals I have kept my carbs low except for my rhubarb fiasco on the weekend... not sure what to think???
__________________


WannabeIP is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #127
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
Well first week of phase 2 hasnt gone all that well for me.... still up in weight this week? I am pretty sure I am in ketosis, I went back to my food journals I have kept my carbs low except for my rhubarb fiasco on the weekend... not sure what to think???
I just went back and checked my Phase 2 stats, since both you and my sister are concerned about slow loss and/or gains during the first week.

The first six days I was in Phase 2, I only lost .4 pounds; I lost a bit the first few days, then gained some back. The next five days I lost 3.8 pounds, which was the most I'd lost in such a short time period for months. I also dropped nearly 3 inches during those five days, after losing zero inches the previous week.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but that was my experience. You are so close to your target, you really shouldn't stress about it. You've done an awesome job, and I predict you will surpass your goal during Phases 2 and 3.
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
BevS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 714

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCASS View Post
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I guess I did the right thing. I had exactly that.....1 1/2 pieces of toast, 1 egg, 3 pc of turkey bacon, 2c. almond milk and 7 oz of strawberries....(7oz of strawberries is alot!!)

About phase 3 -I'm doing exactly that! I really wish the timing was different I was feeling really comfortable in Phase 1 but I was however loosing very slowly close to the end....like 8 pounds a month. That's why I decided that while on vacation at the end of the month I'll be in maintenance while visiting friends in Vegas. And then yes when I get back I will return to Phase 1 and hope that that last 20 to 30 pounds just falls off like the 1st 30!!!

Again Thank you!
Sounds like a great plan! And you have done fantastic!
__________________
BevS is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #129
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I just went back and checked my Phase 2 stats, since both you and my sister are concerned about slow loss and/or gains during the first week.

The first six days I was in Phase 2, I only lost .4 pounds; I lost a bit the first few days, then gained some back. The next five days I lost 3.8 pounds, which was the most I'd lost in such a short time period for months. I also dropped nearly 3 inches during those five days, after losing zero inches the previous week.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but that was my experience. You are so close to your target, you really shouldn't stress about it. You've done an awesome job, and I predict you will surpass your goal during Phases 2 and 3.
That makes me feel soooooo much better...... I was just thinking I had done something horribly wrong, funny how it all works... I think the stress of it probably wasnt helping either. Gain = failure in my old brain but that is so not true its really just a small blip. I am basically back to what I was last week so we shall see what this week brings... but I am going to enjoy my tuna celery sticks for lunch, thanks Novak.

I have also resolved that it is time to get some exercise.... I am going to try to get up earlier in the morning to get that in... I am a night owl so hopefully that will help with the sleeping too, I cant work out at night or I dont get any sleep at all, so need to change my pattern a little.... just wanted to put that out there to the universe.
__________________



Last edited by WannabeIP : 07-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.
WannabeIP is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
mamaerinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 694

Height: 5'8"

Default

ACK! i am officially 4 lbs away from my original goal and 9 away from the goal i made last week. i am terrified of coming off this program so i am scared i will keep prolonging this and end up as wannabe has said "skelator".. how many times did you post-phase 1-ers change your goal weight and what made it finally *click* that you were done?
__________________
Erin

Started IP: April 22 @ 193, got to 163 on July 31st

Started again Nov 1st at 175, going for 30 more


Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
John Wayne
mamaerinb is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #131
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
ACK! i am officially 4 lbs away from my original goal and 9 away from the goal i made last week. i am terrified of coming off this program so i am scared i will keep prolonging this and end up as wannabe has said "skelator".. how many times did you post-phase 1-ers change your goal weight and what made it finally *click* that you were done?
I've posted this before, but my initial ďpublicĒ weight loss goal was 40 pounds. I was put on the spot at my first weigh-in, and I picked a target that would put me at a weight I remembered from my running days in the Ď90ís. I knew I needed to lose more, but I didnít want to overshoot. I had other goals, like fitting back into a size 10, that I figured would help me decide on a final stopping point.

But as the diet progressed, it became obvious that 50 pounds was very attainable, and would put me at an ďidealĒ 22 BMI. So I upped my goal by 10 pounds.

I hit that goal mid-Phase 2, and kept losing. So I cut Phase 2 a little short and moved to Phase 3. I lost another couple of pounds during that phase, and have dropped a couple more in Phase 4. Iím not really trying, but it seems like my body is finding its own set point. Iíve surpassed my second weight loss goal by 6-7 pounds, and the size 10 whizzed by a long time ago. Iím a pretty solid size 4 now, for the first time since I was a toddler.

I was also nervous about coming off the program, but Iím loving where I am, hovering around a 55 pound loss (plus or minus a pound or two.) If I start to move outside that range, I'll probably drop enough to get back in. And as I'm working out more, I may decide to make additional adjustments. But for now, I'm good.
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #132
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Bump!

(Don't want to fall off the page)
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #133
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Bump!

(Don't want to fall off the page)
Bump back at ya baby!!!! I wouldnt let us fall off the page... Well Novak today was my first day of phase 3, had to start a few days early was having some issues, went to Docs yesterday so did phase 2 for 10 days which I think is good. Loved having breakfast this morning, was putting everything together last night and was like look at all my food, I hugged it all, I need a bigger lunch pack, I was excited and doing a little happy dance around the kitchen about fibre cereal & plain yogurt??? Are ya kidding me.... I am such a goof. Scale has leveled out at 125.4 as you said it would
__________________


WannabeIP is offline  
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #134
Maintenance since 6/5/10
 
Novak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 789

S/C/G: 185/125/135

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeIP View Post
Bump back at ya baby!!!! I wouldnt let us fall off the page... Well Novak today was my first day of phase 3, had to start a few days early was having some issues, went to Docs yesterday so did phase 2 for 10 days which I think is good. Loved having breakfast this morning, was putting everything together last night and was like look at all my food, I hugged it all, I need a bigger lunch pack, I was excited and doing a little happy dance around the kitchen about fibre cereal & plain yogurt??? Are ya kidding me.... I am such a goof. Scale has leveled out at 125.4 as you said it would
Hey, I hope you are okay...

I ended Phase 2 a little early, too. So did my chiropractor/pseudo-coach, for that matter. I did my first Phase 3 breakfast on the weekend so I had the eggs, veggie bacon, English muffin, veg cheese, fruit deal. OMG, you are right! So much wonderful food! I set it all out on a table and just looked at it, then sat and consumed it slowly, with reverence, as though I was in church. It was almost a religious experience!

Glad you got the number you were waiting for... my sister was also stressing the first week in Phase 2, and she just took a big jump down, too. And my Monday low carb routine beautifully erased the weekend from my scale, so it's all good.
__________________




"Do or do not... there is no try."
Novak is offline  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #135
Phase 4 - Aug 14, 2010
 
WannabeIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 389

S/C/G: 192.5/158/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
Hey, I hope you are okay...

I ended Phase 2 a little early, too. So did my chiropractor/pseudo-coach, for that matter. I did my first Phase 3 breakfast on the weekend so I had the eggs, veggie bacon, English muffin, veg cheese, fruit deal. OMG, you are right! So much wonderful food! I set it all out on a table and just looked at it, then sat and consumed it slowly, with reverence, as though I was in church. It was almost a religious experience!

Glad you got the number you were waiting for... my sister was also stressing the first week in Phase 2, and she just took a big jump down, too. And my Monday low carb routine beautifully erased the weekend from my scale, so it's all good.
I have to go for a bunch of tests and stuff, still havent gotten a cycle, not pregnant blah blah I have always had lots of troubles, took us forever to get pregnant but we want to have more so I want to see whats going on....

Ohhhh I licked the bowl this morning with my breakfast.... Novak do you normally eat a nice breakfast like that everyday? I think I am still in ketosis or maybe I really do need to see the dentist? Do you think once you have rested thru phase 1 & 2 you can go back to fat burn that quickly? I heard that it could happen in 3 hours? Do you normally have a cheat weekend or just one cheat day? I cant decide if I will have ww waffle, ww muffin or an egg mcdelicious tomorrow... wow I am not just a carb junkie, I am just a food junkie.
__________________



Last edited by WannabeIP : 07-13-2010 at 03:27 PM.
WannabeIP is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phase 1 tomorrow Mfit4Me South Beach Diet 26 09-22-2008 11:21 PM
I really do think I need to go back to Phase 1 or something. Fat Melanie South Beach Diet 43 08-08-2008 06:10 AM
Best Life Diet:Phase 1: The Rev-Up fasmata5 YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets 68 07-26-2007 10:55 PM
How many of you just started Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet and seen amazing results BellaLucia South Beach Diet 21 07-29-2006 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2