Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #106  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajen88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been on IP since May and I have been reading your posts regularly. My coach offers minimal information, so your knowledge and experience has been greatly, albeit quietly, appreciated.

I have lost 23 pounds and I have entered Phase 3 a week ago. When I started Phase 2 the pounds flew off (I was a very slow loser in Phase 1). Now that I am in Phase 3 I am having physical and pyschological issues about adding carbs and eating all that food for breakfast! The scale hasn't moved this week so that doesn't help me get over my fear of eating more food. (Just to clarify, I don't have an official eating disorder, I'm just a little neurotic by nature )

I am managing to eat 2 eggs, 1-2 ounces of cheese and 1/2cup of berries at breakfast. Lunch & supper follow protocol. I haven't been faithful with my snack. Sometimes it is IP, other times it is nothing and last night I had SF jelllo with a bit of cream. The last few days I can feel that I am out of ketosis. I have been having cravings for junk food, low energy and a fuzzy mind. I am tempted to go back to Phase 2 for a few days and then try Phase 3 again and force myself to eat the full breakfast as prescribed. I am going on a long road trip in 3 weeks and had planned to be in Phase 4 by then!

I feel like I have worked so hard and stuck to the program without fail and now I have managed to mess it up as I am on the home stretch. Yikes!

I would value your input, ideas and opinions. Thanks.
Jen
You're not giving me much data to go on... where did you start, where are you now, where do you want to be? In Phase 3, you should expect your body to start moving out of ketosis. It took me several days to transition. You should only stay in Phase 3 for 2 weeks. Help me out with more info, and I'm happy to give you any assistance you might need...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
You're not giving me much data to go on... where did you start, where are you now, where do you want to be? In Phase 3, you should expect your body to start moving out of ketosis. It took me several days to transition. You should only stay in Phase 3 for 2 weeks. Help me out with more info, and I'm happy to give you any assistance you might need...
I started at 173lbs. I'm 5'3. My initial goal was to be 145lb. My coach and I decided I should be in phase 4 at the end of July when I was on vacation. We were going to reassess my goal in August.

I did Phase 2 for a week and have been in Phase 3 for 6 days. I exercise everyday (moderate for 1 hour).

I just don't feel as good as I felt in Phase 1 & 2. My energy is decreasing and my brain is getting foggier. Cravings have come back. I am still taking the vitamins/supplements.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Loving maintenance. It's so nice to just feel normal again I felt hungry the other afternoon and had an apple...and took so much pleasure in just getting to have an apple because I wanted one

The only thing about maintenance I'm still working on is a)wrapping my brain around no sandwich at lunch time and b)deciding what to have as a carb for dinner (it still feels wrong lol).

Welcome to phase 2 pita
Hi, Jordanna, the other day I wanted a sandwich at lunch. So I had a grilled chicken sandwich without mayo. I skipped fat at lunch that day. The problem lies in combining fat and slow carbs.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #109  

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been on IP since May and I have been reading your posts regularly. My coach offers minimal information, so your knowledge and experience has been greatly, albeit quietly, appreciated.

I have lost 23 pounds and I have entered Phase 3 a week ago. When I started Phase 2 the pounds flew off (I was a very slow loser in Phase 1). Now that I am in Phase 3 I am having physical and pyschological issues about adding carbs and eating all that food for breakfast! The scale hasn't moved this week so that doesn't help me get over my fear of eating more food. (Just to clarify, I don't have an official eating disorder, I'm just a little neurotic by nature )

I am managing to eat 2 eggs, 1-2 ounces of cheese and 1/2cup of berries at breakfast. Lunch & supper follow protocol. I haven't been faithful with my snack. Sometimes it is IP, other times it is nothing and last night I had SF jelllo with a bit of cream. The last few days I can feel that I am out of ketosis. I have been having cravings for junk food, low energy and a fuzzy mind. I am tempted to go back to Phase 2 for a few days and then try Phase 3 again and force myself to eat the full breakfast as prescribed. I am going on a long road trip in 3 weeks and had planned to be in Phase 4 by then!

I feel like I have worked so hard and stuck to the program without fail and now I have managed to mess it up as I am on the home stretch. Yikes!

I would value your input, ideas and opinions. Thanks.
Jen
Hi, Jen, I think your coach should not have put you on Phase 3 until you reached goal. Phase 3 is a weight stabilization phase, not a weight loss phase. If I were you, I'd go back to Phase 2 until you reach goal, then go to Phase 3 for 2 weeks, then on to Phase 4. If you really want to be on Phase 4 on vacation, I guess you could continue on with Phase 3 for 2 weeks, but you're not really doing it properly if you're not having enough protein and slow carbs at breakfast. So you're not stabilizing your weight properly. Plus you still need that snack packet. You're going to have those cravings particularly badly since the fruit is going to keep you out of ketosis, but you're not having enough calories to stave off hunger.

Last edited by BevS; 07-07-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #110  

Height: 5'8"

BevS

i noticed in another post that you add whey protein to your maple grove farms pancakes. i have used these since about week 4 instead of the IP pancakes since they have better carb/fat.protein ration IMHO. do you think it's necessary to add the whey protein while i'm still in phase 1(almost phase 2)? your input would be greatly appreciated, you have been truly inspiring on 3fc for me
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #111  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
I started at 173lbs. I'm 5'3. My initial goal was to be 145lb. My coach and I decided I should be in phase 4 at the end of July when I was on vacation. We were going to reassess my goal in August.

I did Phase 2 for a week and have been in Phase 3 for 6 days. I exercise everyday (moderate for 1 hour).

I just don't feel as good as I felt in Phase 1 & 2. My energy is decreasing and my brain is getting foggier. Cravings have come back. I am still taking the vitamins/supplements.
Bev is right on. You are no longer in weight loss mode in Phase 3, and you need to be following the protocol correctly. It is the same as Phase 2, except for the breakfast, which you must eat in the correct combination, and all at one sitting. The evening IP snack is still important, as are the supplements.

I am a little confused, though. Was your plan to go to maintenance before your vacation (and before reaching your goal), and then to start up Phase 1 again in August and finish the job? If so, then don't fret about not losing. The important thing is to do the Phase 3 step properly before entering Phase 4. If your initial goal is likely to change from 145 to 135 or some other number, it doesn't matter what your current weight is. Follow Bev's Phase 3 advice and you'll feel better, then enjoy your vacation. When you get back, start up Phase 1 again and get yourself to that final target weight (before entering Phase 3).
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 173/164/144

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Bev is right on. You are no longer in weight loss mode in Phase 3, and you need to be following the protocol correctly. It is the same as Phase 2, except for the breakfast, which you must eat in the correct combination, and all at one sitting. The evening IP snack is still important, as are the supplements.

I am a little confused, though. Was your plan to go to maintenance before your vacation (and before reaching your goal), and then to start up Phase 1 again in August and finish the job? If so, then don't fret about not losing. The important thing is to do the Phase 3 step properly before entering Phase 4. If your initial goal is likely to change from 145 to 135 or some other number, it doesn't matter what your current weight is. Follow Bev's Phase 3 advice and you'll feel better, then enjoy your vacation. When you get back, start up Phase 1 again and get yourself to that final target weight (before entering Phase 3).
Thanks Bev & Novak.

Yes the original plan was to be in Phase 4 during vacation and then resume the program when I got home. I don't plan on eating my way through my trip but just want a bit more leeway than Phase 1-3 offer. I think part of the problem is that I am not finished losing and my body has got into the groove of dropping pounds. My body and mind were not prepared for the transition.

I think I will go back to Phase 2 to finish this week and then follow Phase 3 carefully for two weeks. I will take your advice Novak and not worry. I know IP works, so in August I can finish the job. Thanks for your input.

All of you girls have done an amazing job with your own weight loss. I hope each one of you realize that by sharing your knowledge and experience on these boards you have probably helped numerous lurkers (like me) succeed with IP.

A million thanks to all of you! Jen
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb View Post
BevS

i noticed in another post that you add whey protein to your maple grove farms pancakes. i have used these since about week 4 instead of the IP pancakes since they have better carb/fat.protein ration IMHO. do you think it's necessary to add the whey protein while i'm still in phase 1(almost phase 2)? your input would be greatly appreciated, you have been truly inspiring on 3fc for me
Hi, Erin, Thanks for the kudos. No, it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to add whey protein to the pancakes. But if I substitute half of the Maple Grove sugar-free mix with 1/2 a scoop of my whey protein isolate (1/6 cup of each), it decreases the net carbs from 6 grams to 3 1/2, and increases the protein from 15 grams to 20. Plus the Maple Grove box lasts twice as long. Either way, it counts as a non-restricted protein packet. You're doing great, by the way, and I enjoy all of your posts!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #114  

Hello everyone from others Phase !
I have a question !
I'm planning with BF a vacation to the US, on the first week of august, and I'm also going to Walt Disney on the last week of august. I know that I won't be able to be on plan (I prefer to be honest with myself, I know I'll cheat, so I prefer to be off plan for a week, instead of feeling guilty and wasting money), and it'll be the same thing for th end of august.

I'm wondering what I should do. Should I take a week off plan (without maintenance, then phase 1 for two weeks, then 1 week off plan, and then phase 1 till goal ?

Or

Should I start going into maintenance, and then, off on phase 4 for all august, and then, back phase 1 full force till goal ?

I'm kinda confused because in an ideal world (no pun intended), I should do phase 1 anyway, all my vacations, but I know I'll not do it. I'va already taked a break of one week without maintenance phase before (doctor order), and I was fine, but I know that throwing myself in and out of ketosis is not good for me..So I'm lost

I'll not go crazy with foods during my vacations, I'll be really carefull anyway but.. I don't know what to do.

After August, I'll be anyway back full force on phase 1, and I'm planning about 3 others months WITHOUT (I swear!!!!) cheating, so my pancreas will be reset.. I'll do after that every others phase in the good order..

I really value your opinion so I wanted to know what do you guys think !
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #115  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady5andy View Post
Hello everyone from others Phase !
I have a question !
I'm planning with BF a vacation to the US, on the first week of august, and I'm also going to Walt Disney on the last week of august. I know that I won't be able to be on plan (I prefer to be honest with myself, I know I'll cheat, so I prefer to be off plan for a week, instead of feeling guilty and wasting money), and it'll be the same thing for th end of august.

I'm wondering what I should do. Should I take a week off plan (without maintenance, then phase 1 for two weeks, then 1 week off plan, and then phase 1 till goal ?

Or

Should I start going into maintenance, and then, off on phase 4 for all august, and then, back phase 1 full force till goal ?

I'm kinda confused because in an ideal world (no pun intended), I should do phase 1 anyway, all my vacations, but I know I'll not do it. I'va already taked a break of one week without maintenance phase before (doctor order), and I was fine, but I know that throwing myself in and out of ketosis is not good for me..So I'm lost

I'll not go crazy with foods during my vacations, I'll be really carefull anyway but.. I don't know what to do.

After August, I'll be anyway back full force on phase 1, and I'm planning about 3 others months WITHOUT (I swear!!!!) cheating, so my pancreas will be reset.. I'll do after that every others phase in the good order..

I really value your opinion so I wanted to know what do you guys think !
I would phase out to maintenance before the first trip, and stay in maintenance until after the second trip. Then I'd go back to Phase 1 and complete the program to reach my goal.

If you do this, just make sure you complete a full two weeks of Phase 3 before moving on to Phase 4. I don't know exactly when your first trip starts, but if you don't have time to squeeze in two weeks of Phase 2 before entering Phase 3, do as many days as you can... but DON'T do less than two weeks of Phase 3.

(I love Disney World Where are you staying?)
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #116  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Unhappy Help!

Good Morning All!

I need some expert advice. Bevs! Novak!

I'm moving to Phase 3 today and I've been freaking out. I went shopping 3 times trying to find "ideal" whole wheat bread and everything has high fructose corn syrup in it.

So really my question is do you go by the actually ingredients in the items or just nutritional values to meet the required 30g grain carbs?

Also how do you get your 25g of breakfast protein? Do you have any suggestions.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #117  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCASS View Post
Good Morning All!

I need some expert advice. Bevs! Novak!

I'm moving to Phase 3 today and I've been freaking out. I went shopping 3 times trying to find "ideal" whole wheat bread and everything has high fructose corn syrup in it.

So really my question is do you go by the actually ingredients in the items or just nutritional values to meet the required 30g grain carbs?

Also how do you get your 25g of breakfast protein? Do you have any suggestions.
I simply used the charts in the Phase 3 guideline explanation pages to get product recommendations and carb/calorie/protein counts. When I couldn't find a product they listed, I checked for ones with similar nutritional values. I did not spend a lot of time studying the ingredient lists.

Using variations on the sample menus (I made sure that my substitutions matched the values of those I removed), I was able to hit all the targets. Make sure you include the protein values of all the items, including the fruit, fat and grains... it's not that hard to hit 25. But if you can't, don't stress about it; just make sure you have all the groups covered.

And BTW, look at you! Awesome job!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #118  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
I simply used the charts in the Phase 3 guideline explanation pages to get product recommendations and carb/calorie/protein counts. When I couldn't find a product they listed, I checked for ones with similar nutritional values. I did not spend a lot of time studying the ingredient lists.

Using variations on the sample menus (I made sure that my substitutions matched the values of those I removed), I was able to hit all the targets. Make sure you include the protein values of all the items, including the fruit, fat and grains... it's not that hard to hit 25. But if you can't, don't stress about it; just make sure you have all the groups covered.

And BTW, look at you! Awesome job!
Thank you for such a quick response. I think im just panicking?!!!!!

I think I've figured out today's breakfast! I'm not as excited as I thought I would have been. (well the strawberries are looking kinda good! ) Bread use to be my worst enemy and now I could care less! Isn't that crazy!!

Again thank you for all the contributions you give to this forum.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #119  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCASS View Post
Bread use to be my worst enemy and now I could care less! Isn't that crazy!!
So true! I thought I'd be out buying bread and cheese and pizza when I got to Phase 4, but that didn't happen at all. For the first time ever, I'm actually continuing to eat healthy after finishing a diet. Go figure!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #120  

What is the reason for exactly 2 weeks of phase 3 ?

Quote:
(I love Disney World Where are you staying?)
We will be staying at the Carribean resorts. It's my first time that I'm going there, and it's such a little girl dream coming true !! i'm really excited about the trip I hope I'll be able to see everything !!!

Do you think that staying in phase 1 till my vacations, 1 week off, 2 week phase 1 and 1 week off could be really dangerous for my health ?

I'm kinda worried about the WD foods and everything, and also I think that by the end of this month, I could be able to shed another 10-15 pounds off, so I'm a little reticent about going to maintenance mode.. I'm wondering if the 2 week of phase 1 between the vacations could be kind of ''damage control week''. I hate to admit it, but I'm really afraid of phase 2-3-4.

Last edited by 1FCuser; 07-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Closed Thread