Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #31  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosie1 View Post
Novak...this is great information....thanks for all the tips and guidance. I am going to be starting Phase 4 on Sunday and this helps a bunch!!!

ok....did i really read this protocol right...7 oz of meat/fish for lunch and dinner???
Yes, you read it right. But that's a guideline... have less if that's too much. Or have IP or other protein. But she did stress having protein at each meal and before bed, just as we have throughout the diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywelch View Post
Novak, great job on the recap. I'm on day 13 of Phase 1, but it's really helpful to know that I'll be able to eat many of the foods that I really enjoy once I get to my goal weight and advanced phases.
There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Novak,

Thanks so much, that's fantastic!!

I'm getting my coach to email me the phase 4 sheets this afternoon so I'll repost a clean colour copy of it once she sends it

Thanks again!
Excellent, Jordanna. Somehow I knew you'd come through!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #32  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
Here is my personnal stat sheet - hope it can help!

I have been told that my blood labs are good but have not been told about specific improvements. My blood pressure went from being fairly high 135/85 to a normal level 115/70 if I remember well. One of my co-workers has lost 120# on IP went from type II diabetes, sleep apnea & high blood pressure to normal! That is quite an improvement for her!
Great numbers, Sylvie! And what wonderful results for your friend! My brother-in-law has all the same health issues, and I'm hoping he sticks to the diet long enough to see that kind of improvement.

I was very pleased with my own blood work. Comparing results from two days into the diet with those from my first week into Phase 3:

Total Cholesterol down 64
Triglycerides down 53
LDL (bad cholesterol) down 31

I am now off both my blood pressure and cholesterol medications. My BP runs around 110/75, and we'll see where my cholesterol is unregulated in another month...

The stats from my cool scale are great, too. Since I started monitoring during week two of Phase 1:

muscle up from 28.9% to 30.2%
visceral fat down from 9% to 5%
body age (love this one) down from 60 to 42

Other assorted results:

BMI down from 39 to 22
Body fat down from 45% to 23%
Waist down 11 inches
Hips down 9 inches
Chest down 8.25 inches
Thigh down 7 inches
Bicep down 2.5 inches

And it all happened in under 4 months. How can you not love this diet?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #33  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post

The stats from my cool scale are great, too.

And it all happened in under 4 months. How can you not love this diet?
I don't know if you're up for this, but you are my new inspiration. Our beginning stats and aspirations are almost identical. NOW. What is your cool scale. (No, no. I don't think that if I get your cool scale, I can replicate your results. Still, I'd love to know what kind of scale you're using to get so much information.)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #34  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I don't know if you're up for this, but you are my new inspiration. Our beginning stats and aspirations are almost identical. NOW. What is your cool scale. (No, no. I don't think that if I get your cool scale, I can replicate your results. Still, I'd love to know what kind of scale you're using to get so much information.)
Aloha! I'd be more than happy to help you with your journey.

My scale is the Omron 514 (see below). Several people on the boards have one, and I've been very happy with it. That said, there is a matter of when is the best time of day to get an accurate body composition reading. I always did it in the morning when I weighed in, then I learned that you should be up and about for a time so the fluids in your body are distributed and not pooled, which can affect the reading. The weight, of course, is still best for me first thing in the morning, no clothes, before I get into the coffee... I'll take any advantage I can get.

Where in Hawai'i are you? I used to vacation there when I lived in Alaska, and did several Honolulu Marathons in my early running days. My brother in Tokyo used to live in Kaneohe, and still has a condo there. He worked at the University for a time, and his son graduated from Punahou School.

Our stats are similar, and while the exact results will obviously differ, you WILL see spectacular results on this protocol, if you have the discipline (or OCD ) necessary to follow it as designed. I never thought I'd get to where I am... whenever I see myself in the mirror, I figure it must be one of those that's slightly distorted to make you look thinner than you actually are. But unless all the storefront windows between my office and the Metro are also skewed, that's obviously not the case.

Amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scale.jpg (12.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Novak: What great info about Phase 4, that is what drew me to this eating plan, that it teaches you how to eat after you loose the weight. No other diet has ever done that for me. Thank you for posting the phase 4 info, it inspires me to continue on Phase 1 until i am down to my goal (another 46 lbs!)
I couldn't have been so successful without your and everyone on IP encouragement, information, support and love. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #36  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
Novak: What great info about Phase 4, that is what drew me to this eating plan, that it teaches you how to eat after you loose the weight. No other diet has ever done that for me. Thank you for posting the phase 4 info, it inspires me to continue on Phase 1 until i am down to my goal (another 46 lbs!)
I couldn't have been so successful without your and everyone on IP encouragement, information, support and love. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
You are doing a brilliant job! 35 pounds is a real achievement; you'll shed that last 46 in no time.

I'm going to write up some additional Phase 3 information, which I promise to post before you need it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak View Post
I’m going to paraphrase much of what was shared at the Phase 4 Workshop I attended, led by Dr. Z, a chiropractor/nutritionist/IP regional rep. She is a Type II diabetic, and like me, does not eat meat. She has also lost a great deal of weight on IP, and looks fantastic. Like us! ....

The Phase 4 sheet outlines a healthy diet, if you need some guidance. The key points NOT to ignore are to include protein with every meal and snack before bed, eat your carbs at dinner rather than lunch, and minimize the fat you have with your dinner. Following these guidelines will help your body mimic the way naturally slender people process food: “eat it and burn it” rather than “eat it and store it.”

Beyond that, just make healthy choices. Eat vegetables and fruit. Choose multigrain alternatives. Eat when you are hungry, but in quantities that satisfy you rather than leave you feeling stuffed. These things are easy to remember.....
Hi, Novak, Thanks for taking the time to outline your seminar.

My Phase 4 sheet is very similar but not identical to yours. One thing that is different on mine is that it says to continue taking the potassium-calcium pill daily. I was a bit concerned about that since it can be dangerous to get too much potassium. Now I know I can drop that supplement if I feel I'm getting too much. Another difference: the words "No frying or breading permitted" is not on my sheet, although frying probably isn't something I would want to do anyway. An addition to my sheet under Carbohydrates is the following statement: "On occasion (1-2 times per week): 4 oz (125g) of Cake/Pastry, 2-3 Cookies, 1 Muffin, 1 Pancake etc. (Preferably made from unbleached whole grain flour.)"

I think it's interesting that we could do cheat weekends after 3 p.m. as long as we do a Phase 1 day on Monday. While that might be a slippery slope for me, it does show that maintenance is flexible.

Thanks again for your insight.

Last edited by BevS; 06-20-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #38  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
Hi, Novak, Thanks for taking the time to outline your seminar.

My Phase 4 sheet is very similar but not identical to yours.

Thanks again for your insight.
I guess we don't know for sure which is the more current version, though Dr. Z commented that the Phase 3 protocol used to say all veggies except potatoes were allowed, but they removed the note when she pointed out that it didn't make sense to permit the higher carb veggies when you were trying to get your insulin to spike just once a day, after breakfast.

At any rate, I'm finally comfortable with the whole maintenance thing now. Keeping the guidance in mind, I plan to eat how I want and adjust if I need to... yesterday a had a slice of pizza for lunch and a martini before dinner (my friend Hazel asked me to have a glass of Scotch for her, but said a martini would be fine if all I had was gin...). Not exactly on any protocol sheet, but I still weighed less this morning than I did yesterday.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #39  

Okay my coach downloaded this today off the Ideal Protein Coach website, so hopefully it's the newest version? I haven't looked at it closely yet to see if it's the same as Novak's but it is a clean copy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Phase 4 - Ideal Protein.pdf (32.5 KB, 562 views)
File Type: pdf Phase 4 explanation - Ideal Protein.pdf (56.2 KB, 602 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #40  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Okay my coach downloaded this today off the Ideal Protein Coach website, so hopefully it's the newest version? I haven't looked at it closely yet to see if it's the same as Novak's but it is a clean copy!
It is the same. Thanks! (and look at you slidin' right down toward your goal!)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #41  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

Quote:
Jordanna, I notice the explanation page is much better than the old one we have in the IP Phases sticky... they've taken out all the lengthy explanations so it's not nearly so intimidating! Would it be a good idea to put copies of the protocol and explanation up there, as well? Can the ones currently posted be replaced? I'm not sure what the best approach is...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #42  

Hey Novak - I'll go do that right now
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #43  
Started IP Aug 4/09

S/C/G: 235/146/130 Healthy BMI=140

Height: 5' 3"

10 lbs heavier than last week over the weekend - help!!

(WI at 142,4 this morning... even with a full day of phase 1 yesterday!)

Last edited by SylvieG; 06-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieG View Post
10 lbs heavier than last week over the weekend - help!!

(WI at 142,4 this morning... even with a full day of phase 1 yesterday!)
Hi, Sylvie, Do you really think the scale is accurate? If so, time to nip the weight gain in the bud. If it's bowel blockage, take some magnesium citrate. If not, back to Phase 1, weighing every day until you reach goal, then immediately to Phase 3 for 2 weeks or until you feel comfortable with maintenance.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #45  

Hey Sylvia - there is no way you could have gained 10 actual lbs over the weekend...that would be like 35,000 calories you ate at the birthdays? I'm betting it will come off over the course of the week!

I started phase 3 this morning, man, it's hard to eat that much food in one sitting after only drinking pudding for 5 months...but I must say I loved loved loved my glass of skim milk and my strawberries...I had been waiting for that.
Closed Thread