Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Default Ketosis???

So i've been on Ideal Protein for about two months. I've been in ketosis pretty steadily (with a dark pink/purple reading) until recently i've noticed that when i test my ketones in the mornings, the strip has been getting lighter and lighter. I haven't been doing anything differently, and have been very conscious of my carb intake. Is it possible i'm now breathing ketones out instead of the other way??? I'm pretty confused. I'm still losing weight, but i like to know i'm solidly in ketosis.
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 301.6 / ticker /185

Height: 5' 9"

I couldn't tell you. I have tried to use the Ketone strips in the past and they never work. I have check and since I started IP 5 days ago and it doesn't show anything. But I've lost 10lbs so it must be working regardless of the the strips say. I don't trust them.
jlewis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #3  

The problem is they used to work. Now i have no idea. I guess if i'm still losing weight it shouldn't matter??? I keep forgetting to ask my diet coach at my weigh-ins.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

If you are still losing weight and feeling better, I would ignore the strips and maybe stop using them at all. If you rely on them and they aren't showing you what you want to see they may hinder what you are doing diet wise. I have cut my carbs dramatically and have lost 28 lbs. and haven't used the strips. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom with issues View Post
If you are still losing weight and feeling better, I would ignore the strips and maybe stop using them at all. If you rely on them and they aren't showing you what you want to see they may hinder what you are doing diet wise. I have cut my carbs dramatically and have lost 28 lbs. and haven't used the strips. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
We are at very similar starting weights. How long have you been on the diet? I just weighed myself, and if my scale is accurate, i've lost an additional 4 lbs this week (i'm pretty sure if this is right, i'm going to start ignoring the strips). If that is the case, i'm officially at my the lowest weight i've ever seen in my adult life. God i hope that scale is right!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Britt!....The strips are my nemesis! I started out nice and dark, which made me feel great, and I too slowly got lighter and lighter. Sometimes I did not register at all.
Keep these things in mind. You may be very well hydrated, which will lighten your sticks A LOT. Your body may also be VERY efficient (yay) and does not need to expel as many ketones.
If you are following the program, and do not feel hungry all(not just some, lol) of the time, you are in ketosis.

You are doing an incredible job! Do as I say and not as I do ( i love those darn sticks) and throw them out!!!!

Last edited by Calgarygirlie; 06-09-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Calgarygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/140/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
Britt!....The strips are my nemesis! I started out nice and dark, which made me feel great, and I too slowly got lighter and lighter. Sometimes I did not register at all.
Keep these things in mind. You may be very well hydrated, which will lighten your sticks A LOT. Your body may also be VERY efficient (yay) and does not need to expel as many ketones.
If you are following the program, and do not feel hungry all(not just some, lol) of the time, you are in ketosis.

You are doing an incredible job! Do as I say and not as I do ( i love those darn sticks) and throw them out!!!!
same here, I haven't registered anything higher than trace for the longest time. This might sound like alot of hand waving but I would say that our bodies are using them more efficiently. I read somewhere that it takes a while especially for our brain to be able to use the ketones as the source of energy; that is why at the begining most of us experience lack of focus on tasks that need our brain cells.
pitakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #8  

Thanks guys for responding! Now that i know that i'm not alone, i don't feel so worried! I'm still losing, not hungry, and feel pretty good. Ok, i can stop stressing a little now.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/171/120

Height: 5"7"

yes, if you are losing weight then your body is deff using them more effciently
i read somewhere that ur body exudes them thru sweat and even thru breathing
DedicatedLoser is offline   Reply With Quote